Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Monday Night Wars were completely the same way. There were WWF fans who said everything WCW was garbage and WCW fans who said everything WWF was garbage.

Before that we weren't centralized enough to really know or see but it probably still happened on smaller scales. Because really, its just tribalism and team fandom. It happens in sports all the time. It happens with consoles, phones, and computers. It happens with Marvel and DC or Star Trek and Star Wars. People get too attached to their interests, make it part of their identity, and then lash out in defense of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s the same exact thing as the console wars.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I was a filthy channel flipper

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And I say England's greatest Prime Minister was Lord Palmerston!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STAC Goat posted:

The Monday Night Wars were completely the same way. There were WWF fans who said everything WCW was garbage and WCW fans who said everything WWF was garbage.

Before that we weren't centralized enough to really know or see but it probably still happened on smaller scales. Because really, its just tribalism and team fandom. It happens in sports all the time. It happens with consoles, phones, and computers. It happens with Marvel and DC or Star Trek and Star Wars. People get too attached to their interests, make it part of their identity, and then lash out in defense of it.

I guess it just felt different because of the times. I know there were WCW and WWF people, but it never felt as violently antagonistic as it does now. Again, might just be that were all too online now so we always see the worst of it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Social media has definitely made things worse.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Seams posted:

deleting twitter is the best move i have ever made and i will never go back

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seams posted:

Good take on the world in general, but this is supposed to be a wrestling thread.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who are the most well-known wrestlers who do not have a twitter account

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

I was going to say Backlund but there are few dubious looking ones that could possibly be him

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I guess it just felt different because of the times. I know there were WCW and WWF people, but it never felt as violently antagonistic as it does now. Again, might just be that were all too online now so we always see the worst of it.

I think a big difference between then and now is that fans were used to their being multiple wrestling promotions around. Nowadays WWE fans aren't used to competition and AEW's existence feels like more of a direct threat. A wrestler leaving one company for another isn't just a part of the process, but unheard of betrayal. If AEW beats RAW in the ratings WWE might actually go out of business.

Well, that and to still be a WWE fan after everything, there's gotta be something wrong with you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think as a sports fan I've seen it more toxic than anything I've ever seen as a wrestling fan. Like nothing reaches the level of the way some people care about Yankees/Red Sox or Dodgers/Giants or stuff like that. Its really psychotic. And there's always fans who just live and breath their team. Call the team "we" and "us" and really mean it. Jump down your throat if you criticize them or say something good about the other guy.

I don't think wrestling in the Monday Night Wars days generally got that bad but we weren't all connected like we are and it was kind of a flash in the pan culturally. You didn't have the years and generations of buildup sports have. I definitely agree that the internet and social media just polarizes everyone more and makes it so much easier for people to be anonymous assholes because they don't see other people online as actual people.

And the 20 years of dominance WWE has had probably contributes as well. You do have a generation of people who have known nothing but WWE and either they love it because it is their entire wrestling world or they hate it because they think its been a bane of better things. So that builds all these intense ideas and emotions and then the internet ramps all that up and connects us all so we all see the worst of the worst. And lets everyone get lost in their bubble and lose all perspective.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah the thing to keep in mind is that for a lot of wwe fans, wwe IS wrestling; it's all they've ever known, anything else is illegitimate and wwe spends a lot of time confirming that idea to its audience

incidentally a tactic of certain religious institutions, I'm not saying it's a cult mentality but I'm making a face and quietly trailing off without finishing my point

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
WWE is 100% a cult, though.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

JOHN CENA posted:

deleting twitter is the best move i have ever made and i will never go back

made it better for the rest of us too, thanks ;)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Currently active is probably Juice Robinson.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I Before E posted:

Currently active is probably Juice Robinson.

ishii, him, and gedo are the biggest new japan names with no twitter presence

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Procrastinator posted:

made it better for the rest of us too, thanks ;)

i never tweeted

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gavok posted:

And I say England's greatest Prime Minister was Lord Palmerston!

Pitt the Elder!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

JOHN CENA posted:

i never scored

unfortunate

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Wrestling fan rivalries seem downright quaint in comparison with things like the Old Firm derby, but I think people here have hit the nail on the head with the current state of it all anyway.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

When did wrestling fans become so toxic and insane with how they draw company lines?

quote:

Twitter.
You answered your own q

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

STAC Goat posted:

I think as a sports fan I've seen it more toxic than anything I've ever seen as a wrestling fan. Like nothing reaches the level of the way some people care about Yankees/Red Sox or Dodgers/Giants or stuff like that. Its really psychotic. And there's always fans who just live and breath their team. Call the team "we" and "us" and really mean it. Jump down your throat if you criticize them or say something good about the other guy.

I don't think wrestling in the Monday Night Wars days generally got that bad but we weren't all connected like we are and it was kind of a flash in the pan culturally. You didn't have the years and generations of buildup sports have. I definitely agree that the internet and social media just polarizes everyone more and makes it so much easier for people to be anonymous assholes because they don't see other people online as actual people.

And the 20 years of dominance WWE has had probably contributes as well. You do have a generation of people who have known nothing but WWE and either they love it because it is their entire wrestling world or they hate it because they think its been a bane of better things. So that builds all these intense ideas and emotions and then the internet ramps all that up and connects us all so we all see the worst of the worst. And lets everyone get lost in their bubble and lose all perspective.

This is a good post.

Say what you will about wrestling fans, but at least (to my knowledge anyway) none of them have ever started a riot over their favorite wrestler losing.

EDIT: And after a quick google search, never mind. :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

This is a good post.

Say what you will about wrestling fans, but at least (to my knowledge anyway) none of them have ever started a riot over their favorite wrestler losing.

EDIT: And after a quick google search, never mind. :v:

hoooo boy the repercussions from Inoki vs. Big Van Vader were really something. as Ditch pointed out, this cost NJPW ability to use Sumo Hall at the time, and may have been the final straw for their TV company, moving them from a prime-time slot to midnight. All to try and get Beat Takeshi over :v:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

harperdc posted:

hoooo boy the repercussions from Inoki vs. Big Van Vader were really something. as Ditch pointed out, this cost NJPW ability to use Sumo Hall at the time, and may have been the final straw for their TV company, moving them from a prime-time slot to midnight. All to try and get Beat Takeshi over :v:

Beat Takeshi is a legit legend

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

he's a natural heel, i dont think you'd need to cause a riot to get him over

that said, i could easily see young man beat inciting a riot through promos even if vader wasn't around

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

yeah the thing to keep in mind is that for a lot of wwe fans, wwe IS wrestling; it's all they've ever known, anything else is illegitimate and wwe spends a lot of time confirming that idea to its audience

incidentally a tactic of certain religious institutions, I'm not saying it's a cult mentality but I'm making a face and quietly trailing off without finishing my point
I've never seen it that way. Like, I've never once communicated with a WWE fan who was angry at the idea that anyone would watch indie wrestling. If someone thinks that wrestling = WWE, I assume they just don't know or care much about any other wrestling. I just can't imagine a human being who knows enough about Japanese, Mexican, or American indie wrestling enough to be angry about them, but only watches WWE and holds it up as the only true prograps.

STAC Goat posted:

Like, Philly is a big city for wrestling, and I've never heard of a wrestling-related riot in Philly.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think a lot of the WWE only guys know about other promotions but think it's either all TNA at its worst or just guys doing crazy moves with no ring psychology. Another one you get is I watch for the story and the characters not the actual wrestling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

It was just harder to find because it wasn't centralized to one website.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Something I find fascinating is that the company has been WWE longer than it was WWF (right?) and yet even younger fans that weren't even born when the change occurred will still refer to it as WWF.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
TNA outlived WCW

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't believe anyone between the ages of zero and 25 calls it wwf. i'll require proof to believe it. "stone cold" proof

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cavauro posted:

i don't believe anyone between the ages of zero and 25 calls it wwf. i'll require proof to believe it. "stone cold" proof

"Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Something I find fascinating is that the company has been WWE longer than it was WWF (right?) and yet even younger fans that weren't even born when the change occurred will still refer to it as WWF.
I don't think that's true quite yet:

Capitol Wrestling Corporation 1953-1963 (~10 years)
World Wide Wrestling Federation 1963-1979 (~16 years)
World Wrestling Federation 1979-2002 (~23 years)
World Wrestling Entertainment 2002-present (~19 years)

If you're talking about the corporate name, It was Titan for 18 years (1980-1998), then WWF for barely a year before turning into WWFE for another three years, then WWE for the past 18-19 years. So from that perspective it's been WWE for much longer than WWF, though this also presupposes everyone talked about Wrestlemanias I-XIV being "Titan Sports" events.

It's also weird because (in large part thanks to WWE's own efforts) wrestling fans spend a great deal of time discussing pre-2002 WWF Superstars, and while technically people like Hogan/Flair/Rock/Austin/Foley/Hart/Michaels/etc. have done work for WWE, it's weird to talk about Hogan vs. Andre being for the WWE title, almost like talking about Oklahoma City Thunder legend Shawn Kemp, or Los Angeles Baseball Trailblazer Jackie Robinson.

Of course in corporate terms, Jack Kirby is apparently a Disney Legend despite dying estranged from Marvel in 1994, fifteen years before Disney bought Marvel, so with enough marketing anything is possible! Perhaps one day people will look back fondly on the legendary All Elite Wrestling Barbed Wire Christmas Tree match from 2007.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I thought the WWWF-WWF changeover happened closer to '83, but yeah, I'm talking about people referring to it as WWF rather than WWE nineteen years later even if they never watched it when it was still WWF.

I think part of it is that they would regularly call it "World Wrestling Federation" when it was still WWF, like the New Age Outlaws entrance, but since the change they only ever say WWE and I can't think of a time a wrestler (or WWE SUPERSTAR from the WWE UNIVERSE) has said "World Wrestling Entertainment" out loud.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, Philly is a big city for wrestling, and I've never heard of a wrestling-related riot in Philly.

That's because Cena didn't win that one time. Otherwise? Riot.

(DON'T RUIN THIS JOKE BY TELLING ME IT WAS IN NYC. I DON'T CARE. PHILLY WOULD HAVE RIOTED.)

IronCladBurrito fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 6, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Someone with the WWE Network, have they done anything with the Dragon Gate USA footage they own? (I believe it came with the WWN library but I could be wrong?) Even for like a Daniel Bryan related special? Or Johnny Gargano?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Someone with the WWE Network, have they done anything with the Dragon Gate USA footage they own? (I believe it came with the WWN library but I could be wrong?) Even for like a Daniel Bryan related special? Or Johnny Gargano?

They only bought the EVOLVE library, the rest of WWN is still owned by WWN. I don't know if they have put any old EVOLVE up on the network. The old shows looks o low rent they might not want to.

Edit: I might be wrong since DGUSA isn't on the WWN website anymore. But WWN itself wasn't sold they supposedly want to run shows after the pandemic.

Edit: I am in fact wrong, WWE bought DGUSA/EVOLVE but I am pretty sure they did not buy the FIP library to complete the Gabe trilogy.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 6, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

That's because Cena didn't win that one time. Otherwise? Riot.

(DON'T RUIN THIS JOKE BY TELLING ME IT WAS IN NYC. I DON'T CARE. PHILLY WOULD HAVE RIOTED.)
As it turns out, a WWE Hall of Famer just incited a riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Halloween Jack posted:

As it turns out, a WWE Hall of Famer just incited a riot
:hmmyes: