Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

speaking of the comic abnormalities I really hope The Road Home makes it in to lobcorp 2 because it's mechanic sounds hilarious

just a house dropping from the sky and murdering an entire room

I’d like if the Oz things were a build up collection mechanic. You need either woodsman or scarecrow for the scaredy cat, and all three to get the road home.

I feel like the fact that WonderLab is clearly giving the aberrations and abnormalities it features mechanics that make sense in terms of the game make it likely all of them will be in LobCorp 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the rude day and game, was fun. angela is a turd who sucks

started library of ruina, eyes glazed over at the overcomplicated and poorly-explained mechanics and bad interface, I think i'll wait until the game's actually done before getting into it

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’d like if the Oz things were a build up collection mechanic. You need either woodsman or scarecrow for the scaredy cat, and all three to get the road home.

I feel like the fact that WonderLab is clearly giving the aberrations and abnormalities it features mechanics that make sense in terms of the game make it likely all of them will be in LobCorp 2.

imo it should work like Apocalypse Bird where if you get all of them something terrible happens

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
PM is great, but could really do with a couple lessons in tutorial design, yeah.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

PM is great, but could really do with a couple lessons in tutorial design, yeah.

Yeah after playing around with it a bit it's not THAT bad but they just barf up way too much information at you way too quickly

Lobcorp was fine because stumbling blindly through hell is a core game mechanic(and it's mechanics are ultimately fairly simple) but ruina expects you to know what you're doing somewhat

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 2, 2021

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
hey hey, semi-recent player here (though i've seen through the whole story, i've only recently tried to play myself). actually picked it up before the lp thread and proceeded to have an awful time stumbling around the game on my own with the very incorrect mindset of "i should only take the weakest/easiest abnormalities to make my life easier!" a few day one resets and the thread later, i think i've got a decent base for future operations.

one thing i do want to ask about, i think i saw it mentioned that der freischutz's ego weapon would also take out clerks in its path-- does that also go for non-clerk employees? i've noticed recently that my ordeals have been a lot tougher than they should be (i have mostly level III-V agents, and still a number of them have been dying/panicking to dawn ordeals, so i've been hesitant to even touch noon), and now i'm wondering if that's because my employee with his weapon has actually been the cause of that.

Obnoxipus fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 3, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Y E P.

Der Shooty's GUN is friendly fire on at all times, so it's best to make whoever has it a solo operative.

Honestly this is why I don't use it unless I get a really early -69.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
that explains so much. i got him relatively early, i think (he's in yesod's zone right now, and i've got 3/4 of hod's department filled), so his weapon far outclasses anything else i've got access to. on the plus side, sending that employee to deal with threats alone is an easier fix than starting from day 1 because i somehow irreparably broke my facility and employees to the point where they can't even handle a teth-level ordeal. :shobon: thank you!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is a fun weapon but you will never forget the one time you forget to manage it and suddenly almost every employee you have is dead with a single shot.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
in all fairness, i killed/panicked a bunch of employees for four reset days in a row before realizing that i might have actually been the problem, so clearly i will mess up a bunch more before i finish the game. :lobcorp:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I've been thinking, and I much prefer the Plague Doctor to the Army in Pink, even though both are the same kind of gimmick. Pretending to be Zayin and revealing Aleph.

I think the reason for this is the Plague Doctor is a lot better about warning you ahead of time that it's definitely not okay, as it does the big show and dance.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've been thinking, and I much prefer the Plague Doctor to the Army in Pink, even though both are the same kind of gimmick. Pretending to be Zayin and revealing Aleph.

I think the reason for this is the Plague Doctor is a lot better about warning you ahead of time that it's definitely not okay, as it does the big show and dance.

It is pretty clear that something is up with Army in Pink the moment you do any work with it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
They handle differently as well.

Army in Pink uses ZAYIN modifiers for everything, so it deals damage like a ZAYIN and gives exp like a ZAYIN.

This is the main reason why I don’t like having it around-it’s terrible for training.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe I missed this thread somehow.

I don't care about SCP stuff at all but LoR is probably the best game of 2020.

That's all I have to say. :cheerdoge:

I got bored of Lobotomy Corp part way in and just watched an LP, I might go back to finish it.

LoR is just surprising with how good it is all around. It's fun when you figure out how the combat works, a good mix of luck and skill, music and graphics are fantastic, and the characters are actually pretty good. I can kinda understand both Angela and the other Sephirah's viewpoints.

It also does a good job at making you feel like a jerk. The loading screen art of the Zwei office slowly emptying out until you kill Walter and Isadora is very :smith:

Yinlock posted:

finished the rude day and game, was fun. angela is a turd who sucks

started library of ruina, eyes glazed over at the overcomplicated and poorly-explained mechanics and bad interface, I think i'll wait until the game's actually done before getting into it

imo it should work like Apocalypse Bird where if you get all of them something terrible happens

I legit died to the Rats like 5 times before I figured out the basics.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 4, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's Briah season at the cafe that's really turning the backstreets around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azuvFH96x7Y
featuring voiced Tiph B for I think the first time

https://twitter.com/Ham_PangPang/status/1343863104946356226

https://twitter.com/Haerts_L/status/1345944480491294720

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
that punishing bird cookie :3: i don't think i'd be able to eat it-- not because i'd worry about damage, but it's just too cute...

i always love seeing the kind of stuff that gets made for places/events like this, it's so creative!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I think there's really something to the tone of Ruina. It's like, the most edge-core hyper ridiculous over the top setting where someone can kill sixty dudes and you've probably bumped into rumors of 75 serial killers all of whom are real on your block and only the wealthy and powerful can do anything at all and it's all fighting just to climb out the crab bucket, MAN, in a way that bears absolutely no resemblance to reality or like, any sort of even kind of reflection of what the actual horrors of hosed up huge companies or the like are.

I kind of love it??? It appeals to some goth 15 year old still renting out space in my head. I made the vince face when I read the line talking about how not only were guns out of favor because it's really expensive to buy ammunition, but also because it's pretty common enough to be good enough to deflect bullets. That's a trait it can be reasonably expected you might run into, not like, a thing that only the sickest people in the world can do.

Nea fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 6, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nea posted:

I think there's really something to the tone of Ruina. It's like, the most edge-core hyper ridiculous over the top setting where someone can kill sixty dudes and you've probably bumped into rumors of 75 serial killers all of whom are real on your block and only the wealthy and powerful can do anything at all and it's all fighting just to climb out the crab bucket, MAN, in a way that bears absolutely no resemblance to reality or like, any sort of even kind of reflection of what the actual horrors of hosed up huge companies or the like are.

I kind of love it??? It appeals to some goth 15 year old still renting out space in my head. I made the vince face when I read the line talking about how not only were guns out of favor because it's really expensive to buy ammunition, but also because it's pretty common enough to be good enough to deflect bullets. That's a trait it can be reasonably expected you might run into, not like, a thing that only the sickest people in the world can do.

there's also just something off with the mindset of every single person, which kinda drives home why Carmen started the project in the first place

also there's a pretty clear reflection with people being so distracted by just surviving that they don't even bother thinking of why things are so hosed-up(it's the rich, as always)

it's modern capitalist soceity dialed up to 11 and viewed through the lens of :catdrugs:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they ever elaborate more on the Tree of Light thing or was it like instrumentality from Eva or brainwashing or something? It sounded pretty hosed up to "cure human minds", like a supervillain plot or something.

Roland seems to be sus but none of the Sephirah seem to have any doubts.

Nea posted:

It's awesome.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Do they ever elaborate more on the Tree of Light thing or was it like instrumentality from Eva or brainwashing or something? It sounded pretty hosed up to "cure human minds", like a supervillain plot or something.

Roland seems to be sus but none of the Sephirah seem to have any doubts.

The entirety of Lob Corp was gathering the seed of light, the Sephirah know what's inside of it.

"The Will to Stand up Straight", "The Hope to Be a Better Person" etc.

Angela is dismissive of it because she hates Ayin and wants to destroy all that he has wrought plus her assimilating the City's FYGM attitude due to Roland's influence.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
PM is pretty good at addressing the stuff that seems nonsensical at first later on. My own pet theory is that all the ludicrously over the top shittiness of everything has something directly to do with A Corp's Singularity.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

PM is pretty good at addressing the stuff that seems nonsensical at first later on. My own pet theory is that all the ludicrously over the top shittiness of everything has something directly to do with A Corp's Singularity.

Singluarities in general seem to be The Problem as society revolves around them but they all have some ludicrously dark twist that the owning megacorps have no interest in fixing

Hell lobcorp's was probably one of the most benign and it killed dozens of clerks daily

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uh, Full Stop and Dawn Office are pretty big spikes in difficulty, huh?

SITB posted:

The entirety of Lob Corp was gathering the seed of light, the Sephirah know what's inside of it.

"The Will to Stand up Straight", "The Hope to Be a Better Person" etc.

Angela is dismissive of it because she hates Ayin and wants to destroy all that he has wrought plus her assimilating the City's FYGM attitude due to Roland's influence.

It just sounds like some kind of weird brainwashing to me.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

So uh, Full Stop and Dawn Office are pretty big spikes in difficulty, huh?

Yeah, Urban Plague is right about where you need to start actually caring about making decent key pages and decks. Before that point you can just kinda coast with whatever.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Yinlock posted:

there's also just something off with the mindset of every single person, which kinda drives home why Carmen started the project in the first place

also there's a pretty clear reflection with people being so distracted by just surviving that they don't even bother thinking of why things are so hosed-up(it's the rich, as always)

it's modern capitalist soceity dialed up to 11 and viewed through the lens of :catdrugs:

It's pretty explicit that the augmentations make you explicitly superhuman. One of the early stories confirms that even a grade 8 fixer has enough augmentations to use heavy chainsaws as normal weapons.

In the Distortion Detective light novel, a grade 1 combat fixer can casually jump up 17 stories in a single bound while carrying two hostages.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Theantero posted:

rear end in a top hat Corp?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Everything is poo poo in such a particular way, with there being neither history nor a future for anybody in the City, and the whole world basically being stuck in an ever-perpetuating limbo of badness like it's in some sort of conceptual stasis, that I would be surprised if it's not somehow deliberately engineered by the Head, yeah. Basically, I suspect that their Singularity is something that lets them impart their authority over the City, but requires that they keep things bad specifically in the way that they are bad right now, rather than some other flavor of bad.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How complete is Ruina, by the way? Have they indicated?

I gather there's up to some Star of the City fights but they're not all there yet?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

They're not all there yet, and we have confirmation that there's some chapter happening AFTER SotC thanks to the UI concept art that PM released.

The floor content is now complete through all of the middle layer.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
It feels like we're coming up to the climax of the plot right now, given that it can't possibly be a coincidence that there's ten people in the Blue Reverberation's crew, and ten floors of the library, right?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two random things:

The Claw wears a similar suit as Roland. :tinfoil:

Granted the regular dusk Fixers do too, but with a coat I think? And Roland seems to be unfamliar with the events of LC.

Also, what's with everything being named after a body part? I'm half surprised the Backstreets aren't called the Guts or Organs or something.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

That actually does get mentioned and explained during a cutscene on the Floor of Language, even if they don't go super in-depth on it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The world being poo poo because of a secret technology making it that way would really gently caress up the world-building, imo. It's good sci-fi because you can see how all of it happens and how nobody can do anything to stop it. Everyone is being exploited by someone above them, and the way they can take the pressure off is by exploiting someone else below them. Push back, you get killed and replaced, the system adapts and survives. It's grim as poo poo, and I really like it. The conversation with Yesod where he and Roland have an argument about people being complacent about how the tech they use is built on human suffering is one of my favorite bits of Ruina so far because it hits home in a very particular way.

Acerbatus posted:

It just sounds like some kind of weird brainwashing to me.

The plan was actually made pretty clear in LC. Deep LC spoilers: L Corp's Singularity wasn't extracting energy from Abnormalities, it was producing EGO, by way of them. At some point, you learn that the reason Random Agent #56 can suddenly duel with a sword is because EGO exists inside of all of our collective unconscious, and is a part of us. Carmen's idea was based on her belief that people were so ground down by society, they couldn't actually even allow themselves to dream of a better world. Ayin takes this idea and plans to release The Light for seven days, which would impart the ability to everyone to manifest their emotions and desires into EGO. A great equalizing effect of making us all demiurges or something. Is this what Carmen would've done? We have no idea. Probably not, because that sort of 'I'll just give everyone godlike powers and then immediately die' sounds like exactly the sort of plan a self-destructive recluse would come up with, but the ideals behind it are solid. Instead, everyone got halfway lit and, importantly, nobody was there to tell them what the gently caress just happened. Ruina gets into what that means for people.

The end of LC kicks rear end, and I just hit Star of the City in Ruina and I'm liking it just as much, if not more.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I probably just phrased myself poorly, in that I don't mean to imply that things are only bad because of a Singularity or whatever. It's more that the tone of the absoluteness of the Status Quo is so particularly fantastical that I doubt it's not to some degree purposefully engineered. Now obviously, every ruling entity seeks to perpetuate its power in some way, but it feels like there is going to be some Tweest™ with how A Corp runs things.

Hell, if we go by precedent, it's probably going to be loving T Corp again :v:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varinn posted:

The world being poo poo because of a secret technology making it that way would really gently caress up the world-building, imo. It's good sci-fi because you can see how all of it happens and how nobody can do anything to stop it. Everyone is being exploited by someone above them, and the way they can take the pressure off is by exploiting someone else below them. Push back, you get killed and replaced, the system adapts and survives. It's grim as poo poo, and I really like it. The conversation with Yesod where he and Roland have an argument about people being complacent about how the tech they use is built on human suffering is one of my favorite bits of Ruina so far because it hits home in a very particular way.

The plan was actually made pretty clear in LC. Deep LC spoilers: L Corp's Singularity wasn't extracting energy from Abnormalities, it was producing EGO, by way of them. At some point, you learn that the reason Random Agent #56 can suddenly duel with a sword is because EGO exists inside of all of our collective unconscious, and is a part of us. Carmen's idea was based on her belief that people were so ground down by society, they couldn't actually even allow themselves to dream of a better world. Ayin takes this idea and plans to release The Light for seven days, which would impart the ability to everyone to manifest their emotions and desires into EGO. A great equalizing effect of making us all demiurges or something. Is this what Carmen would've done? We have no idea. Probably not, because that sort of 'I'll just give everyone godlike powers and then immediately die' sounds like exactly the sort of plan a self-destructive recluse would come up with, but the ideals behind it are solid. Instead, everyone got halfway lit and, importantly, nobody was there to tell them what the gently caress just happened. Ruina gets into what that means for people.

The end of LC kicks rear end, and I just hit Star of the City in Ruina and I'm liking it just as much, if not more.

I see. I kinda skimmed the back half of LC because the gameplay didn't grab me much (I got into it because LoR seemed super cool and man, this game owns) but I'm interested enough now I think I'll go back and try to go over all the stuff I miss.

So it's actually possible Angela didn't gently caress everything up, if only by accident, because giving everyone in The City that kind of power sounds more like a recipe for a slaughter than anything else.

Theantero posted:

I probably just phrased myself poorly, in that I don't mean to imply that things are only bad because of a Singularity or whatever. It's more that the tone of the absoluteness of the Status Quo is so particularly fantastical that I doubt it's not to some degree purposefully engineered. Now obviously, every ruling entity seeks to perpetuate its power in some way, but it feels like there is going to be some Tweest™ with how A Corp runs things.

Hell, if we go by precedent, it's probably going to be loving T Corp again :v:

I would be totally unsurprised if A-Corp's singularity turned human misery into Arbiters or something.

Theantero posted:

That actually does get mentioned and explained during a cutscene on the Floor of Language, even if they don't go super in-depth on it.

Oh okay, I don't think I'm that far, still on Urban Plague. I've just got Pathologic on the brain. :tinfoil:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the singularities weren't the problem so much as the "no interest in fixing them" part

like the megacorps are only interested in extracting profit of some kind from them so their hosed-up crippling flaws just get brushed aside once the rich can turn a profit

that's why I said it's A Capitalism Metaphor

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tomerry down on the first try. :cool:

Poor couple.

EGO Phillip not so much. :negative:

Poor guy.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I love LoR a ton even if I've reached the point of the game where I'd much rather just videos of people doing the thing than spending the time to do it myself (i'm both busy, have a lot of other things taking up my attention, and also bad at the game!).

I'm calling it now that one of, if not the last, fights before Angela finds that special book will be Argalia and his sentai team of distortions in a dozen-part marathon fight.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I honestly cannot foresee it going down any other way :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The tree vs. tree kabbalistic showdown everyone's been waiting to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theantero posted:

I honestly cannot foresee it going down any other way :v:

Argalia and his crew are the last shot before the patron librarians and Angela in the intro, that's a definite main villain spot to be!!!

Managing 20+ Librarian pages is realllly a chore.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 8, 2021