Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes I meant the corresponding pentatonic to the scale degree/chord not the root

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hey everyone.

Looking for some gear recommendation here. I have a pretty well equipped home studio upstairs, but sometimes, especially at night, it just feels like a pain lately to go up, fire everything up, open all the software I use, and then start to play, and get a sort of paralysis by analysis of all the knobs I can turn there when all I really should be doing is drills to a click.

What I am looking for is some sort of simple headphone amp, but looking for something with the features I want seems like...it doesn't exist unless I want to get some giant boss 4 bank "does everything in the universe" 700 dollar job. Here are the capabilities I am looking for:

1. Wired or wireless TRS male with dongle like those Vox things, or even a floor or small desktop unit like the zooms
2. Tuner and metronome build in
3. Some amp modeling would be nice, but not a requirement, don't need 128 factory and 128 user patches.
4. An Aux input for funsies
5. I'd think a feature set such as this should be around or below a 100 dollar price point...the metronome of clock part seems to be the hardest to find

If this isnt available in this package, I'll probably just roll my own. I'd rather not spend the time, but we now seem to live in a command economy so...whatever.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone have experience with the Harley Benton PB20 P Bass & the Ibanez GSR-200 and can contrast the two?

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Basic Poster posted:

What I am looking for is some sort of simple headphone amp, but looking for something with the features I want seems like...it doesn't exist unless I want to get some giant boss 4 bank "does everything in the universe" 700 dollar job. Here are the capabilities I am looking for:

1. Wired or wireless TRS male with dongle like those Vox things, or even a floor or small desktop unit like the zooms
2. Tuner and metronome build in
3. Some amp modeling would be nice, but not a requirement, don't need 128 factory and 128 user patches.
4. An Aux input for funsies
5. I'd think a feature set such as this should be around or below a 100 dollar price point...the metronome of clock part seems to be the hardest to find

I'm guessing you meant TS, unless your bass has a stereo output?
The previous-generation basic Zoom multi-fx (B1on) will do everything you want - headphone amp, tuner, metronome (plus drum loops), amp models, aux in. And a looper, handy for checking your timing. You used to be able to pick these up new or used for way under your budget, but it looks like the last year may have changed things. The current model (B1 four) can probably do all the same stuff.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Fierce Brosnan posted:

I'm guessing you meant TS, unless your bass has a stereo output?
The previous-generation basic Zoom multi-fx (B1on) will do everything you want - headphone amp, tuner, metronome (plus drum loops), amp models, aux in. And a looper, handy for checking your timing. You used to be able to pick these up new or used for way under your budget, but it looks like the last year may have changed things. The current model (B1 four) can probably do all the same stuff.

Yes, correct, TS, sorry. Thank you for the recommendation. It seems there were a lot of products out that do exactly what I want but have all stopped being produced...I guess market demand wasn't there. Thank you again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Probably not exactly right and a bit too expensive, but maybe look at Boss' Waza Air? Link.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Wish someone wrote a stuart zender book.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

BonHair posted:

Probably not exactly right and a bit too expensive, but maybe look at Boss' Waza Air? Link.

I did look at that, but it seems like the main price point driver is their fancy surround sound stuff. Im not that fussy if I'm just using it for click based scale drills.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What can you all recommend in terms of an upgraded bridge?
It's for a '98-99 american deluxe 4-string jazz bass.

I was thinking of getting a badass III
(strings route through the body and there are 3 bolts connecting the bridge)

But some are saying they are actually a bit of a hassle and require lots of work (neck shimming?) to work properly.

Hipshot also seems to be well reviewed.

Is replacing the stock bridge even necessary? I like the bridge just fine, I suppose. And many are saying that there's no or a negligible difference in tone.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 6, 2021

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What can you all recommend in terms of an upgraded bridge?
It's for a '98-99 american deluxe 4-string jazz bass.

I was thinking of getting a badass III
(strings route through the body and there are 3 bolts connecting the bridge)

But some are saying they are actually a bit of a hassle and require lots of work (neck shimming?) to work properly.

Hipshot also seems to be well reviewed.

Is replacing the stock bridge even necessary? I like the bridge just fine, I suppose. And many are saying that there's no or a negligible difference in tone.

I went in for hi-mass bridges a long time ago, and there's really nothing there. If you like your stock bridge, then keep it. If you are replacing anyway, hipshot is great.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've got a Sandberg bridge waiting to go on a DIY project, which is pretty nice. It's quick release, roller saddles and adjusts up and down and sideways so you can change string gap width. I think I paid AUD90 from Banzai music in Germany, including postage.

That said, if you're happy with the stock bridge, stick with it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I am learning guitar and want to also hop on the bass train. I am going to buy a cheap Harley Benton model. I am heavily leaning P Bass but is there any strong reason to reconsider PJ?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you know which type of neck you're comfortable with? That's the much bigger consideration than the pickup setup on a cheap PJ.

I've enjoyed the heck out of my beginner Yamaha PJ, but honestly I have the J pickup at 0 full-time now. I don't think it really adds much to the sound and just hums when I mix it in. I'm sure a really nice set of PJ pickups would be different, but that's not what we're talking about.

The biggest thing is most PJs have J necks, I think, and the straight P might have a P neck, and if you aren't expecting it might throw you off. I would check on the nut width on both. If you want a P pickup but prefer a J neck, that's basically what PJs are for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm also very new so grain of salt etc, but I much prefer the sound of my J to the P I rented for a few weeks, so I think PJ would probably give you best of both worlds in terms of versatility unless you're really sure you just love the P sound.

Or maybe I'm talking nonsense, not sure.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've played both and like both fine generally, but my chunky digits like the string spacing on the P better.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
So over the last month or so, shifted to playing fingerstyle and I'm really enjoying it a lot more. The one aspect that I'm finding difficult is straight 16 notes when playing metal. I still feel my hand cramping up a lot more than with a pick. On the low B string I've been moving more towards the bridge pick up as it's more taut there. But any general tips? I'm trying to get very comfortable with the 2-finger technique before I start exploring more using 3 fingers (1-2-3-2 seems most logical for my fingers at least).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

abske_fides posted:

So over the last month or so, shifted to playing fingerstyle and I'm really enjoying it a lot more. The one aspect that I'm finding difficult is straight 16 notes when playing metal. I still feel my hand cramping up a lot more than with a pick. On the low B string I've been moving more towards the bridge pick up as it's more taut there. But any general tips? I'm trying to get very comfortable with the 2-finger technique before I start exploring more using 3 fingers (1-2-3-2 seems most logical for my fingers at least).

Just like any other type of physical exercise, warm up then start with what you can handle. Ramp up the metronome 5-10 bpm at a time focusing on consistent tone and rhythm- the tone from either finger should be the same.

Feeling a little muscular burn is good, but don’t go to failure or work through real pain. Take a 30 second rest when you finish your set then go again for a few sets. Write down what you did so you have a reference for next time and see if you’re any faster.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

I am learning guitar and want to also hop on the bass train. I am going to buy a cheap Harley Benton model. I am heavily leaning P Bass but is there any strong reason to reconsider PJ?

Most importantly, the PJ doesn't come in the sweet all-over matt black like the P does.

But seriously, go P if you want finger space.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elissimpark posted:

Most importantly, the PJ doesn't come in the sweet all-over matt black like the P does.

This is the real reason

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

This is the real reason

I don't know why they didn't use a black pickguard though. Or the gaudy blue one in the spare parts page:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dandrea_p_style_pickguard_aqua_pearl.htm

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

This is the real reason

Always go for the cool looking instrument.

I usually use the pickups as thumb rests though, having one less pickup would be one less place for my thumb. I'm getting a lot better at just resting on the instrument though. It's a minor thing anyway.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a dorky instrument and a lovely amp and did the responsible thing today and replaced the amp.

Yamahas have a reputation for being tremendous-value, boring instruments and boy

this thing could not possibly have less sex appeal. Hopefully it sounds nice coming out of a new LT25 (picked it over the Rumble 40 because knobs are fun and 40 seems like an awkward place where it's way too much power for a bedroom but still not enough to really take out).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elissimpark posted:

I don't know why they didn't use a black pickguard though. Or the gaudy blue one in the spare parts page:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dandrea_p_style_pickguard_aqua_pearl.htm

I actually love red tort on dark colors

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

I actually love red tort on dark colors

Sicko.

Seriously though, with that particular bass, it looks like a bead seat cover in a Maserati.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Red tort on matte black is cool. And I say this as someone who plays an effectively black bass with black guard. And gold hardware.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Just like any other type of physical exercise, warm up then start with what you can handle. Ramp up the metronome 5-10 bpm at a time focusing on consistent tone and rhythm- the tone from either finger should be the same.

Feeling a little muscular burn is good, but don’t go to failure or work through real pain. Take a 30 second rest when you finish your set then go again for a few sets. Write down what you did so you have a reference for next time and see if you’re any faster.

Yup, basically already doing this. I up the metronome about 2-3 bpm per set and have several of them every day. I have zero pain, just a tiny bit of muscle burn .

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I love red tort on a few different finishes... Natural, black, white, seafoam. Other combinations just seem a lil too clashy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

abske_fides posted:

Yup, basically already doing this. I up the metronome about 2-3 bpm per set and have several of them every day. I have zero pain, just a tiny bit of muscle burn .

Also keep your wrist straight if you can so you don't gently caress up your carpel tunnel. Other than that, just build up to it slowly day by day like you're training for a marathon. Massage your arm before and after playing, use ice afterward if you really want but don't go too hard where you need to do it a lot.

.... However you can cheat a tiny bit with compression so that you don't have to pluck too hard each time. Less force per note means more notes over time. Trying to sound like steve harris without using compression is not sustainable for mortals, and even he used some compression.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Alright, one of yall gotta have $995 for this b-stock Lakland Skyline 44-64 custom in trans purple, rosewood fb, and EMG GZR P+J pickups...

If I wasn't unemployed at the moment...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 12, 2021

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That's a tempting offer. I'm a bit addicted to purple basses- have a P-Bass in purple and just recently finished a heavily customized DIY project where I used a purple dye over an ash body:

I also dyed the Maple/Maple neck, which was a hell of a delicate job to accomplish.

Would be nice to have a purple PJ to round out my collection :D

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Looks like it's about to be coronated king of england. Have you considered a white pickguard? 🤩

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Actually, the only thing I'd change about that Lakland is get some black tuners to go with the rest of the hardware.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

PoizenJam posted:

That's a tempting offer. I'm a bit addicted to purple basses- have a P-Bass in purple and just recently finished a heavily customized DIY project where I used a purple dye over an ash body:

I also dyed the Maple/Maple neck, which was a hell of a delicate job to accomplish.

Would be nice to have a purple PJ to round out my collection :D

I love painted/dyed necks. That is a sweet paint job. Is the fretboard dyed too?

mango sentinel posted:

Looks like it's about to be coronated Prince.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

mango sentinel posted:

Looks like it's about to be coronated king of england. Have you considered a white pickguard? 🤩

My other bass is purple/chrome with white pickguard, so I wanted to do something different!

Elissimpark posted:

I love painted/dyed necks. That is a sweet paint job. Is the fretboard dyed too?

Oh yes, the fretboard is dyed, perilous as it was to do. but strong dye (leather dye, concentrated water based dye) can work. It doesn't quite highlight the grain as nicely as Ash or Mahogany but it works, considering maple is notoriously resistent.

Elissimpark posted:

mango sentinel posted:

Looks like it's about to be coronated Prince.

This is the correct inspiration, actually. I was inspired specifically by that custom carbon-fibre bass Prince commissioned before his death, but wanted to use a more traditional body.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

PoizenJam posted:

Oh yes, the fretboard is dyed, perilous as it was to do. but strong dye (leather dye, concentrated water based dye) can work. It doesn't quite highlight the grain as nicely as Ash or Mahogany but it works, considering maple is notoriously resistent.

Nice. I think coloured fretboards are under-rated.

PoizenJam posted:

This is the correct inspiration, actually. I was inspired specifically by that custom carbon-fibre bass Prince commissioned before his death, but wanted to use a more traditional body.

I know which one you mean - that is a pretty crazy bass.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Elissimpark posted:

Nice. I think coloured fretboards are under-rated.

They are! But I'm not sure if I would do it again given the choice. At least not with a dye/stain. Trying to preserve a clean hard edge between the fretboard and neck (without removing the fingerboard entirely) was an absolute nightmare.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

PoizenJam posted:

They are! But I'm not sure if I would do it again given the choice. At least not with a dye/stain. Trying to preserve a clean hard edge between the fretboard and neck (without removing the fingerboard entirely) was an absolute nightmare.

When you said the neck was maple/maple, you meant the fretboard was maple too? Would there really be much difference if you had just stained the fretboard and neck at the same time?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yes, maple neck + maple fretboard. Hence the need to work with a water based medium- dye. Unfortunately, even the best painters tape has trouble preserving a clean edge between two-tone water-based dye.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oh, you did the fretboard a different colour! I thought you did it all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ahh! Yeah, the fingerboard is dyed to match the wooden pickguard, while the neck is dyed to match the body.