Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ariong posted:

The post is only four sentences, how did you miss one?
I'm a dumbass who just skimmed, saw the tittle and got a little too disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feeling menaced by the massive length of Tim Rogers videos is starting to make a lot of sense.

:thunk:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

#shorts only for you buddy. Call me when you feel like entering the big leagues :smuggo:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm a dumbass who just skimmed, saw the tittle and got a little too disappointed.

dude it was the first sentence lol

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

dude it was the first sentence lol
It was actually in the second sentence which I didn't read. :smuggo:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

It was actually in the second sentence which I didn't read. :smuggo:

maybe you should learn how to read

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

maybe you should learn how to read
Unnecessarily hostile buddy but okay :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

Unnecessarily hostile buddy but okay :(

drat real talk, I'm very sorry didn't mean to come off that aggro.

I got to the LP part of the Tokimeki video, and drat I really want to play this game. Its a shame it was never translated. Its a huge sprawling game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I got to the LP part of the Tokimeki video, and drat I really want to play this game. Its a shame it was never translated. Its a huge sprawling game.

I'm really hoping that with the video making the rounds it'll convince some fan translator out there to take a stab at it. I remember the attempt at a translation patch way back in the day that sadly fizzled out, but rom hacking is so much easier today by comparison that hopefully it'd be less of an issue.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I get it. I did something so dumb that's its inexplicably angering. Were cool, I've been there.

Here's some content that I'm a bit uneasy about posting here but I thought that it was interesting.
BIG WARNING for excruciating pictures of burn victims in care.
A video on that supposed Hisashi Ouchi picture which is most definently not Ouchi. The narrator sounds a bit like Hank Hill but I think that there's a charm to it and I think that with a bit of improvement this could become a good "curious cases"/crime channel. I've only seen two videos of their's but they seem as respectful as you can be of the victims with this sort of stuff. Its also the only video on Ouchi I've seen where they didn't make a lovely "haha OUCH'Y!" joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27_BsH47uA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Karl Jobst is a confirmed piece of poo poo, right? Or am I confusing him with somebody else? There's a video that keeps popping up in my recommended videos from him about somebody faking a Super Mario speedrun and I'm not sure whether to tell Youtube to gently caress off or not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

Karl Jobst is a confirmed piece of poo poo, right? Or am I confusing him with somebody else? There's a video that keeps popping up in my recommended videos from him about somebody faking a Super Mario speedrun and I'm not sure whether to tell Youtube to gently caress off or not.

You're correct. It's a shame too since he made some of the best generalist speedrunning content. That video is good too (I'd watched it before I'd found out).

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1346590727539748864?s=20

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sydin posted:

short answer, yes.

Long answer is that he was in the goldeneye speedrunning discord with rwhitegoose that was super loving nazi. Imgur link here, but it is pretty vile

https://imgur.com/a/X7qLRXa

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
What is up with the speed running community? Everytime I hear something about it its because someone's a nazi or some other kind of vile person and it both makes perfect sense and feels like I shouldn't.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Groovelord Neato posted:

You're correct. It's a shame too since he made some of the best generalist speedrunning content. That video is good too (I'd watched it before I'd found out).

TheFlyingLlama posted:

short answer, yes.

Long answer is that he was in the goldeneye speedrunning discord with rwhitegoose that was super loving nazi. Imgur link here, but it is pretty vile

Okay yeah, I thought I remembered he was wrapped up in some nazi poo poo. Thanks.

Are there any Goldeneye speedrunners who aren't huge shitheads or is the entire community largely compromised?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Goldeneye speedrunning community the Elite seems to be either reactionary shitheads or at least cool with it since they stay friends with the people who have been outed.

Apart from SummoningSalt I think the big channels that make (or made in ApolloLegend's case) generalist speedrunning videos are shitheads or friends with shitheads.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 6, 2021

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I think the Goldeneye speedrunning scene is infamously poo poo, but if you're not into speedrunning you'd only hear of The Bad Ones.

And mitchflowerpower, but that's because he was on The Tonight Show where he speedruned Super Mario Brothers 3 in the time it took Colbert to heat and eat a hotpocket.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Groovelord Neato posted:

Apart from SummoningSalt I think the big channels that make (or made in ApolloLegend's case) generalist speedrunning videos are shitheads or friends with shitheads.

What about Bismuth? They'd done some really good generalist videos in the past year about the SM64 and DK64 TAS's, as well as OoT and LttP speedrun strats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

What about Bismuth? They'd done some really good generalist videos in the past year about the SM64 and DK64 TAS's, as well as OoT and LttP speedrun strats.

Bismuth is cool according to the speedrunning thread. I was more talking about the people that are getting millions of views.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ah, fair enough.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

short answer, yes.

I will say that this is a super tenuous connection. A goldeneye speedrunner was in a speedrunning discord with another guy who was a nazi isn't much.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Garrand posted:

I will say that this is a super tenuous connection. A goldeneye speedrunner was in a speedrunning discord with another guy who was a nazi isn't much.

I mean, we have jobst specifically posting in there with this

which is, depressingly, one of the less shithead set of posts in there

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Twincityhacker posted:

I think the Goldeneye speedrunning scene is infamously poo poo, but if you're not into speedrunning you'd only hear of The Bad Ones.
It's kind of wild how I still cant get that sort of thing into my thick skull. Like, if X that you're not interested in isn't inherently hateful then it probably seems like poo poo to you because outsiders never hear anything about X unless some awful drama stuff is going down.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
karl slammed back like three dozen homophobic jokes a year or two back on stream and when gay tetris legend kevinddr called him out on it karl clipped the footage from kevinddr quoting karl's bullshit out of context and got his fans to mass report the clip to try and get kevin banned from twitch for slurs lol

another of karls surviving greatest hits is a twitch chat emoji called jap thats a really zoomed out eggplant emoji

the dude doesnt even need the association receipts to suck he just sucks (but also the associations and his behavior surrounding them help)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goddamn that didn't even come up in the speedrunning thread from what I'd seen.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Gamerstm deserve to be bullied

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

It is really interesting seeing how even a fairly early dating simulator game had so much thought put into the personality quirks of a huge roster of dateable characters, with events and personality traits you might not even see unless a date goes bad, and effectively wild encounter rates for some of the girl characters.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQSiGr9qYM

big fan of this take on the takes franchise, franchise of takes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Srice posted:

I'm really hoping that with the video making the rounds it'll convince some fan translator out there to take a stab at it. I remember the attempt at a translation patch way back in the day that sadly fizzled out, but rom hacking is so much easier today by comparison that hopefully it'd be less of an issue.

Man that would be one hell of a project to take on. Seems like an enourmous amount of text you would have to translate. At least the Snatcher script was translated before slowbeef got the ball rolling on the translation patch.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It is really interesting seeing how even a fairly early dating simulator game had so much thought put into the personality quirks of a huge roster of dateable characters, with events and personality traits you might not even see unless a date goes bad, and effectively wild encounter rates for some of the girl characters.

Yes! Theres just so much stuff in the game. Even the facial animation stuff is wild for the time too.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As a measure of how long he's been around -- Tim Rogers has had parodies of him made back from...gently caress, nearly fifteen years ago! That were on the BBC! Well, BBC 2 Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yXKrIQ8Ps&t=1247s

To be fair, it's Tim Rogers mixed with Kieron Gillen, founder of Rock Paper Shotgun. Also kinda funny that Rab Florence, who is quite of the NSJ bent himself is doing the parody.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Right now Jerma is going through an ordeal where he bet 500 million community subs that he wouldn’t miss a shot in Noita, and he did, and now his chat is holding the $2,500,000,000 debt over his head. He did a stream starring his his dog in exchange for, if I recall correctly, $375,000,000 worth of debt relief.

Most recently, he made a bet on a video game wrestling match that if he had lost he would have had to do a stream dressed as a catboy, but since he won he got a full billion taken off. Then he went double or nothing and lost, so now he owes that billion again and has to do two catboy streams. I’m really enjoying the debt arc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ariong posted:

Right now Jerma is going through an ordeal where he bet 500 million community subs that he wouldn’t miss a shot in Noita, and he did, and now his chat is holding the $2,500,000,000 debt over his head. He did a stream starring his his dog in exchange for, if I recall correctly, $375,000,000 worth of debt relief.

Most recently, he made a bet on a video game wrestling match that if he had lost he would have had to do a stream dressed as a catboy, but since he won he got a full billion taken off. Then he went double or nothing and lost, so now he owes that billion again and has to do two catboy streams. I’m really enjoying the debt arc.

Oh poo poo he's turned himself into Kaiji.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Waiting for the "Jermas dead im Jarma who dis" arc

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ariong posted:

It's still crazy to me that streamers have to pay to gift subs in their own channel. I get that Twitch wants their money, but it seems like that's something that should be up to the streamer if they want to give people free subs

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Errant Signal covers Descent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlXQIDFtElM

I remember playing this a whole lot on either Amiga or DOS. I have always been unbelievably bad at it.

Now I get motion sickness from the game. :smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Antigravitas posted:

Errant Signal covers Descent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlXQIDFtElM

I remember playing this a whole lot on either Amiga or DOS. I have always been unbelievably bad at it.

Now I get motion sickness from the game. :smith:

I use to play Decent on a mid 90s Apple Computer. Power PCs I think they were called?

Game was choppy as hell on that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s weird to hear Descent described at a niche FPS offshoot because it was my jam back then and I was all over Overload. I guess it kind of was since the Descents are almost the only examples of Descents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I never realized that Freespace was an offshoot of Descent. Also I'm pretty sure that the ship from that first Descent game is just a slightly altered R-41 Starchaser from Tie Fighter.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/1347043876452892674

Man...The old days where Channel Awesome/tGwtG was at the height of its popularity feels like a life time ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/1347043876452892674

Man...The old days where Channel Awesome/tGwtG was at the height of its popularity feels like a life time ago...

It seems like a strange dream now, but I remember religiously watching Nostalgia Critic every week. The me then and the me now are so different.