Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Japan had nearly 5,000 new cases yesterday.

God-damnit Japan! I need you to lower the cases so you can open the borders at the end of Jan like you're supposed to and I can get my work visa.

This is absolutely not going to happen. Tokyo has begun to pop off for real and we're heading toward the crisis situations other big cities are seeing. The government pushed their luck and it's finally run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My friend and her family have been stuck in Japan for almost a year now. Her husband is a professor at Fukuoka university and if they leave, they won't be able to get back in as foreigners, despite a job and home there. They couldn't even go to her fathers funeral in June. It's supposedly easier now but they are still extremely sceptical. The government made it practically impossible to get a visa/back in so they can say the country isn't closed to foreigners when it essentially is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Devo's grandparents seem like they were pretty cool.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Hopper posted:

My friend and her family have been stuck in Japan for almost a year now. Her husband is a professor at Fukuoka university and if they leave, they won't be able to get back in as foreigners, despite a job and home there. They couldn't even go to her fathers funeral in June. It's supposedly easier now but they are still extremely sceptical. The government made it practically impossible to get a visa/back in so they can say the country isn't closed to foreigners when it essentially is.

Residents can leave and return under the new rules. A professor on an Instructor visa would qualify.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what visa they have but last we talked about it he didn't even have a proper written work contract apparently, because the job contract was basically sealed by the equivalent of handshaking and is based on honor or something. And I don't mean this in a derogatory way, apparently that's not that unusual?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

welp so last week one of the couples in my building returned from 2 weeks in the UK and today the neighbour across the hall tells us he's in quarantine because his brother tested positive the day after they hung out with their mom. he's been using the shared washing machine in the basement all morning so it looks like dirty clothes for me for another few days!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
RIP, let us know what super covid feels like

Also who the gently caress goes to the UK in the current climate? I wouldn't go if you paid me and a relative over there had died.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Also who the gently caress goes to the UK in the current climate? I wouldn't go if you paid me and a relative over there had died.

well they're from there and went to visit their kids and now his mother has died and they're trying to go to India. so it wasn't a pure leisure trip but our government here (Switzerland) has been downplaying poo poo hard for months and basically encouraging everyone to just think real hard and then you can justify doing whatever you want as long as someone wears a mask for five minutes somewhere and you say "we were safe" at the end. it's gonna be a long winter.

plus side is that we can start making appointments for vaccines on friday but we'll see how it goes because we've only approved the Pfizer vaccine so far and only ordered enough doses for like 10% of the population.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Walked outside for a bit today and saw the bingo hall is open! Very cool!!!!!! It’s even a red day today so it’s still open despite even regular stores being closed. I saw one person with a mask on. One.

gay picnic defence posted:

I overheard a work colleague talking about trying to get over there for Xmas. rear end in a top hat had corona just a few weeks ago too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

greazeball posted:

welp so last week one of the couples in my building returned from 2 weeks in the UK and today the neighbour across the hall tells us he's in quarantine because his brother tested positive the day after they hung out with their mom. he's been using the shared washing machine in the basement all morning so it looks like dirty clothes for me for another few days!

you can wash your clothes in the bath. just takes awhile to dry out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pro starcraft loser posted:

How are some of the most important deliveries in US history getting this hosed up?

Pushing the vaccines out so quickly was a PR stunt by the Trump administration (which is why he was SUPER angry it didn't happen before the election) and they only cared up to the point where a truck delivered pallets of boxes to the planes at the airport waiting to whisk them away to the various states and they got their photo opp.
They genuinely didn't care what happened when those boxes of vaccines arrived in each state so they never bothered coordinating the distribution beyond that point.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1344262826261676032

naem
May 29, 2011

the rich will get their vaccines, they’ll invest money in crematoriums and watch their numbers go up

naem
May 29, 2011

the investment class will ask questions like “does it make sense to distribute vaccines when we are leveraging these crematorium futures”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

naem posted:

the rich will get their vaccines, they’ll invest money in crematoriums and watch their numbers go up

Dignity Memorial is one shady loving company, but listed on the stock market, so go hog wild!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
They missed a real opportunity with this vaccine. Instead of having to be jabbed in the arm they should have made it one that had to be administered into the butt.

All those photos of smiling people dropping trou to be stuck in arse by a smiling nurse certainly would have cheered me up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

naem posted:

the investment class will ask questions like “does it make sense to distribute vaccines when we are leveraging these crematorium futures”

Visions of that dude from the libertarian think tank or whatever asking Tim Apple if Apple should be investing in not-very-profitable accessibility features in their devices like tools for blind and deaf people (that, truly, seem to be best in class and truly state of the art for disabled people. If you haven't seen demonstrations of how a blind person can use an iPhone it's dope as poo poo)

I love it because Tim got steamed as poo poo.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

DamagedGoods posted:

Well, ya'll don't know me. Feeling somewhat shattered right now.

Some background.

Been trying my best to be mindful of this pandemic.

I'm a bartender at a small hotel next to the ocean.

Last Saturday was my last day at work. We are closed for the next few months, it's cold outside and nobody wants to come here.

Yay! unemployment if I'm lucky. Most importantly, some time off to indulge in some solitary hobbies.

So, how am I shattered?

Nice old lady across the street, who I have known for 25 years, asks me to help her move a couch into her home.

Note, this isn't an unusual request, our neighborhood has always been the kind of folks that help each other out.

Well, after trying to accomplish an impossible task, which I knew from the onset of the problem, I surrendered.

I tapped out, made my apologies, and began my exit.

Oh, and this whole ordeal encompassed nearly an hour.

Turns out Granny had Covid "sometime around Christmas", according to her daughter, a traveling nurse.

I am the ultimate idiot. A good deed might kill me, or make my life more complicated than it should have been.

Well DamagedGoods this is a hell of a tale. Does she have dementia or what otherwise I would personally want to strangle this old lady. Please post what happens to you. I so so hope you dodge this bullet. You don't know me but I bartended for over a decade and I helped little old ladies and I kind of am one so I'm super interested in you now. :pray:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Baconroll posted:

They missed a real opportunity with this vaccine. Instead of having to be jabbed in the arm they should have made it one that had to be administered into the butt.

All those photos of smiling people dropping trou to be stuck in arse by a smiling nurse certainly would have cheered me up.

A genuine, embarrassing question. I'm scared silly of needles (panic attacks if one goes near my arm) and can only ever receive my yearly flu shot in the butt. Will I be able to do the same with the rona vaccine?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just draw a butt on your arm and close your eyes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beartaco posted:

A genuine, embarrassing question. I'm scared silly of needles (panic attacks if one goes near my arm) and can only ever receive my yearly flu shot in the butt. Will I be able to do the same with the rona vaccine?

You gotta take them out to dinner first but yes

(ask the provider, they almost certainly would accomodate unless the vaccine doesn't work in butts).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Most IM injections work better in larger muscles so in the butt is almost certainly the superior vaccine choice.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what about the taint

naem
May 29, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

what about the taint

you have to pay extra for that

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
vax taint effective there

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

vax taint effective there

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beartaco posted:

I'll uh.... I'll do it for you. I have a genuine vaccine yesserie. Call me. I'll do it in your butt for you. You won't feel a thing. you definitely will

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh hey, Melbourne managed to get back to 0 new cases already. Super normal day here today while America is fuckin' exploding

https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1346929086896238594

(It's unlikely to last, there'll probably be a trickle of more cases in the coming week)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh hey, Melbourne managed to get back to 0 new cases already. Super normal day here today while America is fuckin' exploding

(It's unlikely to last, there'll probably be a trickle of more cases in the coming week)

heh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy hell, America is breaking all the records today

naem
May 29, 2011

three holidays of breathing all over each other and multiple new catch-ier strains

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don’t worry, I think I saw a few thousand more super spreaders prepping today for an even higher top score

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rotinaj posted:

Don’t worry, I think I saw a few thousand more super spreaders prepping today for an even higher top score

The infections from today will lead to deaths a month from now so they'll be Joe Biden's problem. :v:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Very suspicious they got 32,767 test results.... that's (2^15)-1. Sounds like they're keeping track of test results in some application that ran out of rows. And very possibly they lost a positive test result in those overflow rows.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

biznatchio posted:

Very suspicious they got 32,767 test results.... that's (2^15)-1. Sounds like they're keeping track of test results in some application that ran out of rows. And very possibly they lost a positive test result in those overflow rows.

Yeah, that number struck me too. Might be nothing, but worth investigating.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

biznatchio posted:

Literally the day prior they recorded 37,509 tests. So unless someone has done something truly spectacular, I don't see much of a reason to worry about what is more likely a coincidence.

Here shows there's been 6 days including the above where they've recorded more than (2^15)-1 cases cases, primarily back when the Melbourne wave was in its peak.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The infections from today will lead to deaths a month from now so they'll be Joe Biden's problem. :v:

i will not stop laughing 2 months from now when the gop writes up articles of impeachment stating that biden has not done enough to stop covid

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nearly 6,000 new cases in Japan . :( I really want to get out of my parents house and back to work. Buck your ideas up you anime loving Pocky eating bastards* so I can get my working visa finalized and come over to live amongst you.

In less problematically expressed news, my brother got his test results back a day after the rest of his family. He is covid free! Which makes my dad the only one in our immediate family to have not have the test ever. It must be his fault.

Oh, it looks like Australia is getting the Vaccine in Feb. So all goes well I may be able to get the injection before I leave. I am not an essential worker, or a geriatric, so I am a long way down the list. But I might be able to jump the queue due to being incredibly handsome. There's always hope.

*Please don't take this silly joke as racism, (even though it is kinda)

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 7, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Is your tinfoil hat feeling comfy

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

freebooter posted:

Is your tinfoil hat feeling comfy

He’s not wrong, that really stands out to anyone with a programming background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

He’s not wrong, that really stands out to anyone with a programming background.

Cool but this is actually a country that has things under control and I'm a bit sick of hearing about how it must actually be the weather/geographic isolation/population density/the wrong kind of testing/conspiracy theory du jour/etc