Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
drat Oglaf still going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Erulisse posted:

drat Oglaf still going?

Oglaf passed.the point where Apprentice has been dead longer than he was alive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

queeb posted:

gently caress i hope BV poison assassin doesnt cop a nerf, im totally set on playing it.

I would expect it and blade blast/bladefall to eat some kind of mild to moderate nerf. BB/BF in particular is probably going to get hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see plague bearer get dialed down a fair bit (probably by lowering duration?).

Strangely I don't think poison bv is even really so strong that it needs a nerf, just a ton of other skills feel frankly pretty anemic right now. That said poison bv is very fast, sturdy, has good single target and has great clear, so it really does do everything a bit too well and with how much of the playerbase was playing those two poison assassin builds, I wouldn't bet on them going unchanged.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
BB/BF seems relatively easy to adjust by lowering the max number of blade explosions or something along those lines, it just does way too much damage.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Speaking of brands, is wintertide brand a good idea for a starter? I always gravitate towards cold skills, but this one doesn't seem to pop up much in conversations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Most brands are good starters, storm especially as it's top tier for levelling (or has this changed?)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Wintertide Brand has absolutely terrible clear and will be a pain to level with

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Vas, can I have a sixer with a pic attached?

Thanks!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Erulisse posted:

Vas, can I have a sixer with a pic attached?

Thanks!

how big of a nerd am I that I recognized that that was an old version of the tree from the right "eye" being a cluster that changed a few leagues back I think (I believe that was the "Alchemy" or something cluster that was a nice flask cluster)

e: apparently it was changed in Blight

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 6, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Wuxi posted:

Wintertide Brand has absolutely terrible clear and will be a pain to level with

This is pretty true. If I were going for something like cold dot Wintertide trickster, I’d level with something like self cast vortex or maybe some spellslinger setup with creeping frost/vortex/frostbolt

That said, once you can get one of those cluster jewels with that notable that makes your brand attach to a new target every 0.3s or w/e (Holy Conquest? Can’t remember), Wintertide clear gets a lot more bearable. The single target is also good enough for getting your Atlas complete as well. You’ll definitely start to feel the lack of clear creep back in though as you get to high tier maps and are trying to do something like delirium/legion/blight.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I've never touched wintertide or creeping frost but I always figured they were meant to be part of a 1-2 setup. Take any 2 of vortex, creeping frost, cold snap, wintertide and play it basically like the original vortex / cold snap occultist where you spread them around for area clear and pile them on top of each other for single target. Whether that's actually what happens in practice, I have no idea. Keep meaning to try it but that's true of like a thousand other builds.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Is there a tier list of starting leveling skills?
"stormblast mines for x, y and z build, good for builds investing in INT, good from lvl4 to lvl28"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Best starter is very subjective imho based on the individual players preferences. This list is updated every patch and is all right . https://www.requnix.com/path-of-exile-3-12-heist-top-starter-builds

Every streamer will have a list up for 3.13 after the patch notes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Erulisse posted:

"stormblast mines for x, y and z build, good for builds investing in INT, good from lvl4 to lvl28"

I know orb of storms is rather popular for early story go-fast leveling, but these days a lot of skills are viable during the leveling process and isn't as bad as the days when it was flame totem or bust and most builds can have all the parts coming online by act 6 at the latest usually.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Bring back the Slow meta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va845_DOTXg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35PVyaAp99o

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember hand casting warlords mark or whatever as melee was ok because things were so slow

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

search engine posted:

I've never touched wintertide or creeping frost but I always figured they were meant to be part of a 1-2 setup. Take any 2 of vortex, creeping frost, cold snap, wintertide and play it basically like the original vortex / cold snap occultist where you spread them around for area clear and pile them on top of each other for single target. Whether that's actually what happens in practice, I have no idea. Keep meaning to try it but that's true of like a thousand other builds.

i tried creeping frost/vortex out once and it was B-tier clear with A-tier single target, for absolutely 0 investment. i bailed on it but only because i couldn't figure out how to speed up the clear.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Erulisse posted:

Your starting level skill should be your end game skill, unless you would like to go to hell when you die.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

Your starting level skill should be your end game skill, unless you would like to go to hell when you die.

wtb lvl1 vortex

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a couple guides suggested leveling chieftains with holy flame totems, and it totally sucked rear end

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah I'm assuming the goal is to give people an idea on what to do for the first ~20 levels. I recall seeing a decent number of people saying they tried the game and bailed in act 1 or 2 because they were using an unlinked molten strike to full clear every zone or something equally terrible. It's hard to cover every case but it wouldn't be too hard to say 'ok you want to do melee poo poo, pick up x initially, slot in y and z supports when they're available, swap to q at 12, etc.' I might take a stab at something like that if I get the time.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Until I can start using my endgame skill my general preferences are stormblast/orb of storms for spellcasters, perforate for melee, and galvanic arrow for bow. Perforate in particular is quite good, and I haven't really seen a compelling reason to switch off of stormblast/orb of storms even if I'm playing Templar or something.

Mostly I'm just not that interested in anything about the leveling process except Go Fast so I can get to my real skill sooner. Stormblast works great with 0 links and 0 skill nodes so I don't have to think about it at all and I can just run to the next quest.

Ground slam works fine as another "get me to 12 asap" skill. As melee if you still haven't swapped to your endgame skill, bladestorm at 28 is IMHO the best skill to run with 0 investment nodes and a 4 link.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah ground slam - earth shatter will get you to 28 quick and easy

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Leveling quickly and efficiently can be done with a lot of different skills, but never only one skill. That said, for every archetype there is one 'best' way to get through the story fast (or to hit the level where your actual main skill becomes viable to use)

For example TR/CA (and all chaos DoT Shadows and Rangers):
Lvl 1: Caustic Arrow + Pierce
Lvl 4: Caustic Arrow + Pierce + Onslaught
Puncture + Chance to Bleed + Shrapnel Ballista (replace Chance to Bleed with Lesser Poison as Shadow)
Dash
Lvl 8: Replace Onslaught with Void Manipulation once your initial hits aren't good enough to keep up Onslaught anymore
Lvl 10: Replace Dash with Smoke Mine (if you don't like Smoke Mine pick up Flame Dash as Shadow or stick with Dash as Ranger)
Pick up Vitality
Lvl 12: Replace the Puncture setup with Toxic Rain + Blastchain Mine + Void Manipulation (or Toxic Rain + Mirage Archer + Void Manipulation/Onslaught/Chance to Bleed if you don't like mines)
Lvl 16: Pick up Skitterbots + Blood Rage
Lvl 18: Replace Void Manipulation with Vicious Projectiles
Lvl 24: Pick up Despair
Add Void Manipulation/Efficacy/Vicious Projectiles as your 4L to CA and TR (depending on the colours available)

You can switch to ED/C or Poison BV at 38 (Increased Area and Unleash) or keep trucking on till Blood Aqueducts and switch then.

I can do this for all archetypes/classes if there's interest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new vitality is really good leveling

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

The new vitality is really good in general. I think a lot of people overlook the value of life regen. Vitality and a few % regen nodes will get you to like 400 or 500/s and that is a very noticeable amount in a lot of situations. Like ~1/3 of a maxed out leech for a character with 7k life except it's always on and stacks with life leech.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah Vitality is universal while leveling on every one of my characters now, it's so good during the story. And depending on the build, if I don't need mana and have a little extra but not enough to squeeze in another 10% or 25% reservation, I'll just slot a low level Vitality for that extra bit of regen even at endgame.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

search engine posted:

Yeah I'm assuming the goal is to give people an idea on what to do for the first ~20 levels. I recall seeing a decent number of people saying they tried the game and bailed in act 1 or 2 because they were using an unlinked molten strike to full clear every zone or something equally terrible. It's hard to cover every case but it wouldn't be too hard to say 'ok you want to do melee poo poo, pick up x initially, slot in y and z supports when they're available, swap to q at 12, etc.' I might take a stab at something like that if I get the time.

maybe if there was a simple guide for each starting person since any guide that goes that far are basically the same but the effort would be out of this world unless you can say something like "now use 30 orb of regrets to reset 90% of your tree."

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 7, 2021

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
the Poe university by ziz on SSF with steel discusses levelling skills.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah upon further reflection it's really hard to distill good advice on a per-class basis for even the first few acts because there's so much diversity and it might even be outdated as soon as the new patch notes come out. Probably best to just have anyone who needs help with early leveling ask for it at that time.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I miss when I could just pick up Storm Brand and just use it forever all the way to maps for like 70% of my builds

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just summon some zombies :shrug:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yes, known good early game skill, Raise Zombie

:thunk:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Wuxi posted:

I can do this for all archetypes/classes if there's interest

Yes please.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wuxi posted:

Yes, known good early game skill, Raise Zombie

:thunk:

They actually own with the new Vitality since they never die past level 10 anymore. Precision makes them never miss and later you can do Pride, Melee Splash, and CurseOnHit-Vortex-Vulnerabilry on left mouse button if you want to just run past everything as zombies mop up. Carrion Golem with Feeding Frenzy gives them a huge boost as well.

edit: why the gently caress is montregrul's grasp level 68 though instead of like a leveling rare?

Kurash
May 12, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

a couple guides suggested leveling chieftains with holy flame totems, and it totally sucked rear end

Holy Flame Totem with Flame Wall is very comfy right now and might be the best starting skills for a spell-based marauder.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I leveled with Frost blades. It's like the old wand builds but it does it all in 1 gem. Shoots a fan of frost blades to enemies which shoot more frost blades when they hit an enemy. Good at clearing stuff.

I switched to flicker strike at 89 and stopped playing because the game is just too drat fast and easy these days. They should really make the game harder or slower or preferrably both. The game simply is not interesting at all in it's current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Also, wand attacks, especially when you get spellslinger are easy mode for levelling.