Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
...you mean poo poo can get worse than flesh buildings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Take all the time you need.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

placid saviour posted:

...you mean poo poo can get worse than flesh buildings?

At least the flesh buildings are alive? Just think of the stench when they die and have been left to ripen for a few weeks.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Broke: flesh buildings
Woke: undead flesh buildings

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bespoke: flesh buildings with Life. Eternal.

Turns out I had a nasty sinus infection slowly murdering me. Clearing up with antibiotics. Regular updates to resume tomorrow, because our protagonist is not allowed respite.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sinuses are the worst part of the human body. :( Get well soon!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Antibiotics aren't going to do anything vs. the Blue Mushrooms, Black August. You know this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uuuuuggghghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah. You know to listen to your Compromised Cranial and Central Nervous when they start screeching at the idea of 'small enclosed box with unreliable power going God knows where'. So you turn around and look about the lobby, spotting another stairwell entrance.

...didn't go down, only up. You check your gear one last time, make sure Kwiat is secured safely, have another small snack, and then start to hoof it up. Your chicky clucks in time as she bounces in the bag from your steady ascent. The journey goes well for the first twenty flights, before you notice there's a hot and smelly draft of air coming down hard. Didn't smell like meat, thankfully... just like fungus. One more flight reveals the source. Most of the stairwell is in bad shape; overgrown with fungus, missing walls and railings, forcing a naked climb up with strong winds ready to pluck you from the building to dash you onto the streets below.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

You wish you had Kwiat's wings. Like he did. You could catch the hot breeze and just soar upward... once your heart settles into its acceleration, you continue. Peeking out the missing walls doesn't reveal much more of your surroundings, save that there was more mountain to the north. A few more flights go by, often with you on your hands and knees to hold on when there's no rails and the wind tries to push you out. While settled on the 30th landing, though, something happens. The stone under you creaks, with the sound of metal stressing itself... before there's a violent *SNAP* from far below. The stairwell shifts slightly under you, heralding their collapse.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] [Oh Hell]

You get up and scramble to ascend, grabbing the rails where you can, dodging where the stairs are half-gone or a landing is missing. You just need a door. Any door. Your arms work tirelessly as you clamber up...

(ST - CLIMB FASTER) 20 - [6]+[6]+[5] = 17 - FAILURE!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [OH HELL]
HP: [ 8 / 20 ]
FP: [ 7 / 14 ]

...but they're tired and pained from the earlier frenzy of stabbing, and suffer a spasm while you rope up one railing. You slip and drop, crashing onto a landing beneath you. It wasn't far enough to break anything, but you're hurting bad and stuck with no easy escape, seconds before the collapse catches up to drop you into a killing stone hell. Think... THINK! You have to think!!! You-

(!PSI ESP) 15 - [5]+[3]+[6] = 14 - Success...
[M U S H R O O M]

You take a deep breath, and barely call back the Silver Mind. Within its infinite reflection is the glitter of the fungal, and you push OUT with it - the mutant blue of your neurons, the rainbow dark of your spores, mingling with the midnight of your crown. It's barely enough. Barely barely enough, but you realize what you can do to survive.

You have to trust the fungus.

Looking up, you spot a large patch of mushroom growing through the stone, draped in thick clusters. Standing up with pain, you stare at it and allow your spores to speak through your psychic senses, stimulating the huge mass. It bubbles and shivers, unrolling its bulbous bulk down to slough down. You have something to grab onto! Not a moment too soon. The stairwell starts to lean dangerously, and with a shout to Kwiat to get ready you LEAP with all your might and grab on, climbing up.

(ST - Climb You Idiot CLIMB!!!!!) 20 - [1]+[2]+[5] = 8 - Success!

Slowly. With great pain. Sweat and blood murdering your vision. Kwiat screeching. The wind pulling you, demanding you be thrown into Hell below. But you prevail, digging one hand at a time into the mushrooms. It starts to break apart as you scramble up, the landing you leapt off already gone. But a tense minute later and you're climbing onto another landing, ensconced with fungus to prevent its breakage. You embrace Kwiat as your heart pounds hard enough to make your chest spasm, and you're scared you'll shake so hard you'll somehow slip out and fall.

That fear sends you to your feet, holding down a long cry as you comfort Kwiat and scramble to move up further... right into a doorway like you had hoped. You pause at it, mouth bone-dry and head swimming with adrenaline. You peek inside and... and... it... the same? Yellow-brown carpets. Moldy olive walls. An office. You fail to open the door at first, hand cramped and sweating, forcing you to use Red's cloak for a grip as you force yourself through. No bathroom this time. But it was an office, you're sure it's the same one; you have no choice but to escape further to the middle before the stairwell decides to snap open the floor to swallow you.

So you hurry down the hall and around a corner, stopping at it to peek. ...you think you hear something. Clicking sounds, and some weird reverberation, like a speaker. A voice maybe? You decide you should double back and try the other way, so you turn arou-

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The THING before you reacts to your scream. By also screaming. But with a flat, speaker-like, robotic voice. It throws its claws up in the air, its head(??!) colors a deep green, and it screams with a long unbroken monotone AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...it's running down the hall away from you, claws flailing, still mono-screaming. You freeze up, completely taken aback, while Kwiat decides to join in on the screaming.

What... what should you do?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
i'm not sure if my vote registered there, but follow it. please do not mi-go away our mushrooms would like to speak to your mushrooms

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Mi-Go are amoral bastards with nary a shred of compassion or mercy, but they can be reasoned with. They also possess sensory apparatus capable of seeing things beyond standard vision, so if this one is alone it probably did the rational thing upon seeing our whole *gestures vaguely* Deal and decided to retreat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Mi-Go are amoral bastards with nary a shred of compassion or mercy, but they can be reasoned with. They also possess sensory apparatus capable of seeing things beyond standard vision, so if this one is alone it probably did the rational thing upon seeing our whole *gestures vaguely* Deal and decided to retreat.

feeling a bit better for our boy deimos' pride after a mythos being has ran at the sight of us

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

I think it’s kind of cute

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Mi-Go aren't truly Mythos beings, they're an alien race who truck with the mythos all the time and possess terrifying science and sorcery, but are otherwise "merely" highly advanced aliens as opposed to eldritch abominations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

(ST - CLIMB FASTER) 20 - [6]+[6]+[5] = 17 - FAILURE!

At risk of sounding dumb, am I misunderstanding the system all of a sudden? If the TN was 20 why was 17 a failure if we rolled under that?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Podima posted:

At risk of sounding dumb, am I misunderstanding the system all of a sudden? If the TN was 20 why was 17 a failure if we rolled under that?

It's ok. In short, a 17 or 18 is ALWAYS a failure, even if your target number is 20, 30, 40, whatever. A 17's failure is less severe if your target number is 18 or more, but an 18 is always considered a true fuckup. The same logic applies to a roll of a 3 or 4. In longer form from the rulebook-

EDIT: This is why rolling a 4 when the mushroom cola tried to fry the character's brain was so important. Instead of getting poisoned, or just shaking them off, they instead were permanently integrated into the brain as a positive bonus.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ha, thank you for the refresher!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Follow the thing? - 17
Run back the other way to hide? - 0
Try to find the elevator and escape? - 1

...LOADING

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A Mi-Go friend would be pretty great if we can somehow get one.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

si mi amigo

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I don't think it's possible to have a Mi-Go friend. An ally sure, but not a friend. They don't really work that way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

I don't think it's possible to have a Mi-Go friend. An ally sure, but not a friend. They don't really work that way.

i don't recall those stories terribly well. i think the brain in the jar one they were potentially benevolent in a sense and the whole thing was just too weird for the protagonist? but the question is, might they feel differently about other fun guys fungi mushroom :shroom:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

i don't recall those stories terribly well. i think the brain in the jar one they were potentially benevolent in a sense and the whole thing was just too weird for the protagonist? but the question is, might they feel differently about other fun guys fungi mushroom :shroom:

The Mi-Go are not depicted as benevolent in any fiction they've appeared in, and definitely not the original story. They were the ones that removed his brain from his body in the first place, because it was easier to shove his brain in a jar and carry that around than take his whole body.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In the story didn't they say that his brain was put into a jar because he wouldn't survive the trip back to Pluto otherwise? I mean, wasn't the implication that the Mi-Go don't use spaceships? Its been awhile since I read Lovecraft's work.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Randalor posted:

In the story didn't they say that his brain was put into a jar because he wouldn't survive the trip back to Pluto otherwise? I mean, wasn't the implication that the Mi-Go don't use spaceships? Its been awhile since I read Lovecraft's work.

we stand there thinking we got the best possible victory and then we go off to space to fight the brains while we slowly become a garden bed for fungi after the silver mind and the mi-go cut a deal

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You put one hand on Kwiat's head to silence her, the other hand going for your gun... but you don't draw it, yet. You decide to chase after the bizarre creature, who continues its monotone cry as it scrambles down the hall. It moves quick but clumsy, and smashes into the wall in its haste to round the corner, taking a moment to 'look' back. Its head-bulb recolors to a deep green as it sees you walking slowly after, and it resumes its escape.

Auuuccghh... your brain feels WEIRD. The mushrooms weren't quite dosing you, but they were in a tizzy of psionic activity. You quell it to keep your focus on the danger of the situation, and gently jog down the hall while turning your pack around to keep Kwiat shielded with an arm around her.

You peek around the followed corner, catching the giant crabthing scuttling into a larger room. God, it smells AWFUL in here. You sneak into the big room, which looks like an old office breakroom, with a table and chairs and a counter and a microwave and a coffee maker and about ten of the crab things who are all flashing colors at each other before they turn to you.

You freeze. They freeze. Kwiat clucks. All of them color a deep green. Strapped to each of their neck-areas was a rusted little speaker... and from those speakers, in hellish chorus, comes a monotone collective of screams.

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'

'UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU'

'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

'BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR'

'aeiou'

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH]

You wave your gun at them as you slam back against a wall, and watch as the mushroom-crabs all scramble over each other in a slidy-wet frenzy, fighting to run out a door in escape with their claws in the air. Their screams fade out as they retreat, leaving you tweaking mad with terror, gun up and aimed out. Something... something was coming back. The steady clicker-clack of hard fungus pittering across the gross carpets. Sodium light shimmers unsteadily in the wrecked breakroom, illuminating the significant mass of an eleventh fungal horror, who peeks into the room first with a wriggly head flickering between green, blue, and yellow. It spots you and freezes.

You enter a staring contest. It was the crabthing vs your eyes, Kwiat's, and the cyclopean stare of your revolver. The fungal breaks first, very slowly entering with both claws held up. It rises, towering quite high, and begins to address you with its monotone speaker.

'YES YES HI YES YES. THIS IS PLU-TO PLU-TO NO ARMS NO ARMS SEE SEE'

You don't lower the shaking gun. Sweat and blood slicks your palm. The horrible stink makes you nauseous. You nearly crush Kwiat trying to shield her with your arm and body. In your anxious state, you don't notice the ethereal-blue of the... 'Pluto's' head, and the bizarre alien probing that bounces off of your psychic mushrooms. One of your eyes twinges hard and slams close, having briefly seen the room as a wild collective of shifting colors and fungal spores. The ethereal blue fades, the Pluto's head coloring to a serene lime.

'OH OH OH MUSH-ROOM MUSH-ROOM AM YOU IS YOU STRANGE STRANGE HELLO HI'

Oh... oh God. You can feel them. The spores starting to propagate and flood your system, both in sympathetic response to your anxious terror, and with incredible enthusiasm for the fungal psychic contact.

The Silver Mind posted:

Remain calm. Breathe. Take advantage of this mindstate to sooth yourself in the infinite reflection. This is a situation you can overcome!

Kwiat... you hold her more gently, and with great difficulty, you lower the gun and try to disperse your exhausted horror out into the silver cool.

(Technique - The Silver Mind) 9 - [1]+[5]+[1] = 7 - Success!
[M U S H R O O M]

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

It hurts. There's a sharp spike of pain in the crown of your head, before the murderous tension melts out of your muscles. You gag, and vomit with the release, sliding down the wall as you convince yourself that... diplomacy... was an option worth approaching. You listen to your psychic senses, who speak with the mushrooms, who speak with the Pluto, which finally resolves in rough translation to the assurance that this thing wasn't about to attack you. It was even HAPPY to meet you, even if it did think you were kind of horrifying. Feeling mutual.

'YES YES AM CHA-RON CHA-RON MEET ME MEET ME WEL-COME HI'

Charon turns, drops down to a scuttle, and clicks a claw as it beckons for you to follow.

'WEL-COME MEET MEET COME COME SEE HU-MAN HU-MAN TALK YES YES'

You stand up, wiping your mouth with bleary eyes that were already starting to see the swirl feel the whirl smell the hurl. With legs shaking, shadows dancing under sodium-bright, you walk up to Charon, and begin to follow him. But not before carefully restraining Kwiat, who leans out of her bag in an attempt to peck at the giant walking truffle. Welp. When in Mush-Rome...

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

oh my god they're not mi-go, they're yetis (in lovecraft lore, yetis are intentionally stunted mi-go who staff mining operations that do not require the educational and nutrient investment of a full mi-go)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

oh my god they're not mi-go, they're yetis (in lovecraft lore, yetis are intentionally stunted mi-go who staff mining operations that do not require the educational and nutrient investment of a full mi-go)

well it's like pa used to say, a fungi from yuggoth is a fungi from yuggoth

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

a fungi is just a friend you haven't met

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I really love the fact that they’re as terrified of us as we are of them. Just because they’re hideous Lovecraftian monstrosities doesn’t mean they’re not people.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Even when they outnumbered us 10-to-1 we still scared them shitless. If this is Pluto, I wonder if its just the shock of seeing an intact human roaming around that scared them so much.

Either way, it sounds like we're bound for the brain vault!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Okay, hold the phone. When Pluto introduces itself, the text is

Pluto posted:

'YES YES HI YES YES. THIS IS PLU-TO PLU-TO NO ARMS NO ARMS SEE SEE'
This *is* Pluto.

But then when it interacts with the mushrooms, the text is

Pluto posted:

'OH OH OH MUSH-ROOM MUSH-ROOM AM YOU IS YOU STRANGE STRANGE HELLO HI'
Mushroom *am* you.

Which means that when Pluto says

Pluto posted:

'YES YES AM CHA-RON CHA-RON MEET ME MEET ME WEL-COME HI'
Does that mean our mushroom guests/cohabitants are collectively named Charon?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think Pluto is the location, not a character--the title "pluto tower" was mentioned in one of the recent loading screens or blue book snippets.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

everything everything gettin' swirly-whirly wait wait do you hear a hurdy-gurdy? wait wait you need to keep it together for Kwiat, pretty little colorful girl, yes yes you remember meeting her and for all your hatred all your bitter bile in a pile you smiled you smiled at her she had watched every one of your shows and even though SHE was there in her All-White you still felt your heart go bright

Charon scuttles down the mouldering office halls, past blankets rich with fungal mass, Plutos hiding under them to watch you pass. Their deep green has softened to more inquisitive colors, Charon snapping its claws and flashing shades at them in communication your mushrooms are too slow and simple to truly grasp. But it was obvious you are the talk of the town.

The rooms begin to get weird. There's tables littered with bits of machines, what looks like artificial limbs, metal skeletons, medical charts, huge computers in bare working order, and a handful of really alien looking devices. The office rooms have their desks and chairs arranged in weird patterns, making it friendly to the bodies of the Plutos, who scuttle and follow at a distance while watching you and Charon make way to the head office.

It's the largest room by far, maybe a former CEO suite, now converted into a technological center. There are more computers of many types, even one made mostly of fungus, all of it powered by a juryrigged generator that hums with ethereal blue light. Much stranger than that was more evidence of the metal skeletons... this time in the form of a variety of- well. They look like animal-people robots. There's a raccoon, a wombat, two cats, the head of a bear, and a dozen more piecemeal bits. One of them holds a banjo. Charon scuttles up to an enormous rot-oak desk, covered in claw marks, and smacks it a few times. There's another animal robot seated in the chair (a mouse one?) with no head.

'WAKE WAKE A-LY-SSA A-LY-SSA WAKE WAKE FOUND MUSH-ROOM FOUND MUSH-ROOM WAKE WAKE HU-MAN'

You're not sure who Charon is speaking to. You shake your head hard to fight off the oncoming psilo-soak distorting your perception, as your psychic senses ripple in excitement. Somehow, Kwiat has gotten a hold of a spare mushroom, which she nibbles and gulps down. You pet her head as you stare about the room, when a woman's pleasant voice speaks with a radio's fuzzy tin.

['Yes Charon, I'm awake, I'm- oh my gracious! What IS that?']

You spin, hand going to your gun as you shield Kwiat. Who spoke? Charon has stood up again to lean half its bulk on the desk, poking at the headless robot in the chair. Which begins to move, with the stiffness of an animatronic, as it rises into a standing motion.

['Well hello there! Goodness goodness, you're the one Charon must have heard down in the valley! Oh! Please, at ease, we mean no harm. Let me boot up.']

...you check with the mushrooms and the Silver Mind. Is this a hallucination? No? Oh, well that's great. Especially when the animatronic reaches up with a metal-skeleton hand, reaches INTO its gaping neck-stump, and slowly pulls on something... until a metal cylinder slides out of the hole. It has a glass window set into it, revealing what you're pretty sure is a brain inside. The voice speaks again, from speakers set into the robot, as it very slowly walks around the desk to greet you.

['Welcome! My name is Alyssa, and I see you've met Charon. Goodness goodness you're not at all what I expected. Please, have a- mmm.']

There is no seat to be had. Instead, the brainbot stiffly pulls her chair out, and wheels it over to you to be sat in. ...the leather chair is mostly rotten, heavily reinforced with welded metal, and has mushrooms growing out of it, but a seat is a seat. You take it as your melty brain tries to assess the danger of the situation; it returns a helpless shrug, and suggests you don't try to provoke the whatever-the-hell that's speaking with you until you know more.

['How lovely! You have a poultry! I'm sorry I don't have any coffee left to offer you. Oh you must tell me, you didn't get shot at when you approached, did you?']

It takes a second for you to speak. You do so slowly, slurred, overwhelmed by the day's events and the situation you find yourself in. You say, no, you weren't shot at. Just nearly killed by collapsing stairs. Your worry gets ahead of your sense, and you cut off the topic to immediately ask who she is, and what the HELL the Plutos are, and why are you expected?

['Ah! Right, yes. I'm so sorry. We haven't had a visitor in years. Or one who survived long enough to reach us. I am sorry for the poor structural integrity of the building, we've been having such a hard time. But, we expected you since Charon heard you! He told me there was possibly another Pluto out in the wilds, or at least a sapient and psychic fungal lifeform. We thought you heard us, and here you are! Oh this is very exciting.']

Alyssa walks to the computers, slowly tinkering with them as she talks. Charon flops down to roost on the desk, 'his' colors flickering between the ethereal blue of psychic thought and lime green. You appreciate the info given, but ask again with a little stress who Alyssa is, and what in the world are the Plutos?

['Oh. You don't know? I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I make assumptions. Well! History lesson! Goodness what an excitement. I should ask first, were you born into this life, or are you one of the passovers?']

You think for a moment. But there isn't much hesitation. You tell her you're a passover.

['As I thought! Well. I'll give you my story. I'm sure not much of this makes sense, but... oh, Charon! Get my album, please!']

Charon slumps up from the desk, and then leans over to dig through its drawers. He yanks out a rotten leather album, and scuttles over to push it into your lap. He doesn't escape without Kwiat getting one quick nibble-peck in, which sends him scurrying back with a flash of deep green. You open the book with some trouble, most of it drenched with mold and fungus slime, but the inside reveals a vaguely familiar series of photographs.

['Oh, when was it Charon? The 1960s? I always forget the timeline designation, but it was a part of the Quantum 0 cluster. Anyways! I was a secretary for the military, in one of our black ops programs that was investigating alien life.']

Pictures... military sites, men in severe uniforms, scientists in labs. You know those uniforms, but can't at all remember the name of the nation they belonged to. Mr. West had been one of them though, you're pretty sure.

['Well, it was quite the time you know. Alien activity was increasingly exponentially in response to the coming Fall, and the planet was seeing a mass exodus of all alien, Dreamland, and pseudodivine life. I was such a rebel then. I was so angry I wasn't allowed into research. Just papers papers papers all day for all these dull frightened men. Turns out that made me a wonderful target for Charon! See, he was trapped on the planet with his crew- they had been left there, abandoned by their outpost when they left the galaxy for the universal evacuation. Poor dears needed someone, anyone to help them, and I became that someone.']

Lot of pictures of a small woman with brown hair and a sweet but strained smile. So many of the photos are bleached white or rotted away, but there is enough to lead with context. Kwiat looks at the photos with you, clucking and pecking at bits of fungus.

['Oh, I'll be rambling for hours if I don't control myself, I'm so so sorry. It's just so nice to have a guest. But after Charon contacted me, I began to help him with a very secret project of my own. It was easy to divert resources and funds with everyone in such a crazed state with the world ending. You see, Charon needed genetic help. He wanted to uplift himself and his crew, and seek out the Pluto holy grail of meatlife logical processes. My government had the secret ingredient to that little mystery! So I stole some protomatter, and we-']

'A-LY-SSA A-LY-SSA FAST FAST PLEASE FAST FAST'

Alyssa laughs, and turns back from the computers to retrack herself. ['Yes Charon, you're right. Oh I could go on for hours. How do I sum it up? The Plutos are fungal lifeforms. In exchange for helping them genetically, they granted my wish for immortality, and we all escaped the Fall by going into the Dreamlands together. When we came out, well... we got stuck here. For reasons.']

Charon circles around you a few times, and then approaches Alyssa. He tries his best to whisper to her, but that's difficult when your translator-collar has one volume setting of 'Max'. 'ASK ASK PLEASE ASK ASK HELP ASK ASK STAR-METAL STAR-METAL HAS MINDTALK HAS HAS HELP HELP'

['Charon! I was GETTING to that! Ohhh, I wish we could at least offer some coffee. Um.']

Alyssa turns her animatronic bulk towards you. You're too shroom'd, tired, and bloodied to have caught the subtext, but it hits you as she asks outright.

['I know this is rather sudden and rude, but, well, Charon managed to contact you because we've been sending an SOS out for a while now. Nobody has managed to get into the building alive before being blasted to pieces, which makes you exceptional! Maybe exceptional enough to hear out our plight, and help us? I promise we can compensate you!']

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE - HELP PLU-TO HELP PLU-TO YES YES
Been a hell of a day so far, and it has no end in sight yet. Your mushrooms have come through strong in securing you an audience with the co-leading ally of the Plutos, who now asks if maybe you could hear them out and help with a problem keeping them trapped in their tower. You're not in the best shape right now...

...is it worth it?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

She’s offered us nothing but hospitality, she’s given us no reason to be afraid of her beyond being a brain-operated animatronic crime against man and god, she’s clearly in a bad situation, and she’s offering to compensate us if we can help. We might need to rest before we actually do anything, but I can think of absolutely no reason not to at least hear her out. She does seem to be under the impression that we’re a fungal lifeform ourselves, rather than a meatling who’s co-opted a fungal lifeform, but given that she used to be a meatling herself that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Well, according to the blue book it seems no one has managed to successfully resolve Alyssa's conflict with their starmetal creation. Let's try and add to the onerun research.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, at least someone nice came out of MAJESTIC-12.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

These are the first friendly creatures since we met Dancer and Burner. The least we can do is hear them out.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - HI HI HELLO HELLO YES YES

Ok. I'll listen. - 26 [Overwhelming Majority!]
[Lie] Sure I'll help! - 0
I don't have time for this. Let me leave. - 0

...LOADING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Hostile V posted:

Well, at least someone nice came out of MAJESTIC-12.

it would of course be the lady scientist who got left out of the photo with the nice nazi paperclip transplants