Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh that. I thought they just ate seashells and fish guts and other indigestible stuff

ohhhh yeah i remember now. yeah the big fat king guy has special fake metal teeth he puts in for like stripping flesh off of bones or some poo poo, and a separate pair for cutting through bone, etc. it's goofy. reminds me of (spoiler for use of weapons) the chair in that it's

Agile Vector posted:

lurid and felt like a very 80s scifi edgy choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
use of weapons spoilers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
get a use of those weapons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m watching Prospect. it kind of sucks but Pedro Pascal is fantastic in it

rotor posted:

his characters do just the absolute dumbest poo poo just to move the plot forward

like what, I’m not recalling anything egregious

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol apparently Pedro Pascal was in a Wonder Woman TV movie in 2011

e: oh poo poo Bubbles

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster posted:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the watch is a bit of a letdown, probably will keep watching it tho cause i like the aesthetic and its not bad, just dull
its a la croix of an adaptation, made by someone who heard the idea of pratchett

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indigi posted:

I’m watching Prospect. it kind of sucks but Pedro Pascal is fantastic in it

like what, I’m not recalling anything egregious

it was some years ago, i can't remember exactly which book it was. basically there was some lady who was tagging along with the main character and they hated each other and the lady jumped or fell off something high and the main character jumped off to save her or something? I remember rolling my eyes too hard and having to apply hot compresses to my eyes for a while.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

the cannibalism vignette is in consider phelbas and i loving hate it. there’s a mention in player but only as a qanon depravity by the ruling class

i JUST finished that section and that's where I had to stop for the night. err wtf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i JUST finished that section and that's where I had to stop for the night. err wtf

its bad and the books are bad

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the culture is good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm going to read one, ok. if i am cringe about it at the end, i will not read the rest and will wander on to another author. just really liked the idea of a functional post scarcity intelligent society, as opposed to the star trek universe

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the culture is good

this but I only read three of them before I got stopped by the short stories

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im partial to the best space move one because it has more of a view of that society from an active members perspective, then their experience with an outside society, instead of the other way around in phlebas

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Achmed Jones posted:

this but I only read three of them before I got stopped by the short stories

ive read culture fanfic by people with musk-level understanding of banks that was better than the short stories

bafflingly bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm going to read one, ok. if i am cringe about it at the end, i will not read the rest and will wander on to another author. just really liked the idea of a functional post scarcity intelligent society, as opposed to the star trek universe

that's fair. although it's kinda unfortunate you picked that one to be the one. it's the first book he wrote in that universe and it doesn't really focus on the culture

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i NORMALLY figure that that if i'm going to engage in a media series that i just started with the first thing, because im raised on trek and other tv, and goddammit now im mad

ok FINE whats the best culture book that wont be ?????? if i havent read any of the other ones. the cannibal thing kinda put me off tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'll second agile vector, player of games (the second book) is probably a better intro to the world. there's not a lot of crossover or continuity between any of the stories though, references to characters or events here and there. look to windward is connected to the events of consider phlebas, but not in any way where it matters that you've read the first one

i was never a fan of consider phlebas, it's janky and the pacing sucks. that's not an issue with the later books though

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 7, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rewatched Timecrimes again, what a great little flick. I should follow up with Colossal.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

you’re over the worst part in phelbas but there’s not a lot of culture in that book

player of games is a good start but doesn’t spend a lot of time in-culture; excession is a bit more culture-focused

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

[whispering to date while watching narnia when aslan first appears on the screen] that's narnia

i beg your pardon, fair creature, but to what land have we come, whence we exited the wardrobe?

narnia.

what?

narnia business.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

you’re over the worst part in phelbas but there’s not a lot of culture in that book

player of games is a good start but doesn’t spend a lot of time in-culture; excession is a bit more culture-focused

excession is the conical yospos approved culture novel, by virtue of being at least a quarter space robot irc chat logs

(it is good)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"the culture books are great"

"oh yeah but no the first one is bad. The second is ok but doesn't really live up to its potential. But"

[taps out]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's cool, ain't nobody gonna twist your arm pops

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I could not identify with any of the characters in Excession, they suck

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the first one is still better than most other sci fi. comparatively it's maybe not so great. i liked player of games the best and put consider phlebas about even with use of weapons (exhausting the three books I've read)

but yeah banks being "bad" still dunks all over most other genre authors

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe the goon who hated being around people so much they put him on a weapons silo in the middle of nowhere

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

but yeah banks being "bad" still dunks all over most other genre authors

yeah i mean this isn't really all wrong

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

except the short stories, that was actually bad bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

Obama and his blue helmet UN troops will use Bidens inauguration as cover to go door to door and force red-blooded americans like myself to read Ian M Banks novels at gunpoint

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

which is, of course, the gay agenda.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

somewhere, in a handbuilt shed in the woods, rotor leans over his underwood and two-finger hunt and pecks out “iaindustrial society and its future”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

military-iaindustrial complex

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chronological order doesn't overly matter, but there are a bunch of overarching story lines through different books. idk, there's a huge chart out there designed to answer exactly this question

otoh, i just read them in publication order because why not? who cares, just read a book

moist von lipwig

i’m starting with guards guards. and solaris too

rotor posted:

I didnt think the Banks stuff was good. Like he's a good writer I guess and yeah his nonhuman characters are interesting but his characters do just the absolute dumbest poo poo just to move the plot forward. My pet peeve in fiction is presumably intelligent characters who make insane decisions just to advance the plot. Like that one Radch novel where the main character just suddenly decides to risk her life for her enemy out of the blue. And that whole cannibalism thing in player of games. Everything just seems like such an artificial set piece.

lol didn’t you watch 2020?

indigi posted:

lol apparently Pedro Pascal was in a Wonder Woman TV movie in 2011

e: oh poo poo Bubbles

i never heard of him until he took off his helmet which i barely noticed i was too busy watching his feet. i liked him in new wonder woman tho and now i should go look for him like where’s wally/waldo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, nothing wrong with not liking thing

some series are a bit like that. since were talking Pritchett, I could see the same for discworld, too; the first two books are before the world solidified and the low fantasy style hit its stride, i dont know if I'd have read many if I started there

instead I started on a few dozen in and went back. I want to say it was Interesting Times or something around that block. it didn't hurt that recurring characters were accessible to a new reader, maybe because some of them had to be since their initial books were so far back

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

military-iaindustrial complex

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hydrogen Sonata
Surface Detail
Excession
Look to Windward
Player of Games
Use of Weapons
Consider Phlebas
Matter

imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Doom Mathematic posted:

I wouldn't recommend Eric as a starting point. (I don't know if this was a joke suggestion, I know a lot of people think Eric is one of the less good Discworld books.) The thing to remember about it is that it was primarily, originally, a Josh Kirby art showcase. I personally love Josh Kirby's art (RIP) so I enjoy the book a lot, but if you're not careful you'll get one of the slimmed down paperback editions with only about a hundred pages of words, and none of the artwork, and as a written work it's a bit... hasty? Thin? Kind of leaps from one setting to another with only a token framing device wrapped around it... plus you're not invested in Rincewind at all...

i was joking because it was the next published book after guards guards which was suggested by the guy above me, and it’s not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Excession wasn’t IRC, it was Usenet