Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We’re getting close to the point where there’s as much time between the 50s and Fallout 1 as there is between present day and Fallout 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I'm a sucker for storylines so Dead Money and Lonesome Road will always be my favorite DLCs.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell me how that works with the deathclaws.

I disliked lonesome road's writing so much that it's the one part of FNV that I'd try to design fanfiction at- and there's so much I'd want to change that I'm not sure what would remain.
C'mon, you can't just mention that sort of thing and not drop more details. Read us your fanfic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Patiently awaiting the Ulysses "he's broken and I can fix him" romance fic. Wouldn't surprise me if it exists already; would be disappointed if it does.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell me how that works with the deathclaws.

I disliked lonesome road's writing so much that it's the one part of FNV that I'd try to design fanfiction at- and there's so much I'd want to change that I'm not sure what would remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxTP_kdmLA

Also don't know if they did it in the video, but also drugs lots and lots of drugs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah the thing was in the original Fallouts the 50s culture was entirely in the ruins and stuff. The wastelanders weren't still acting that way (and it was implied the 50s culture was mostly imposed down from on high and not really reflective of much of the population).

I was thinking about it and the whole concept of a carbon copy never ending fifties never gets leaned into enough, with the weird non laser retro-future fusion taking over.

What I do like about F3/FNV especially with TTW you can really imagine that people before the war really were stuck wearing the same carbon copy fashion due the assets being mostly shared between games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Googie is the best aesthetic and the wisest thing the old world did was ensure that it lasted forever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmxTP_kdmLA

Also don't know if they did it in the video, but also drugs lots and lots of drugs.

I will be sad if there is no follow up video of him doing this to a human NPC with a well timed head explosion.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Fallout 1 leans more into A Boy and His Dog and Mad Max more than retro futurism and atomic age pulp.
The intro is great and sets up the world really well - we see the retrofuturism in pre-war ads (as well as the rampant inflation) on the TV, then the soldiers gunning down protestors in Canada, showing how immoral and fascist the US became before the bombs, then pulling out to show you the consequences.

Then that Ron Pearlman narration! And the Ink Spots! And even a Simpsons reference!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Fallout 1 was only made because Black Isle couldn’t make a direct sequel to Wasteland, which was pretty explicitly inspired by Mad Max (at least to my understanding, I never really played the original Wasteland). Was the dash of retro-futurism at least partly intended to separate Fallout from Wasteland so they wouldn’t get sued?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sheen Sheen posted:

Fallout 1 was only made because Black Isle couldn’t make a direct sequel to Wasteland, which was pretty explicitly inspired by Mad Max (at least to my understanding, I never really played the original Wasteland). Was the dash of retro-futurism at least partly intended to separate Fallout from Wasteland so they wouldn’t get sued?

Wasteland was based on a 1980s culture that gets nuked. Fallout for whatever reason bumped it back to the 50s. Probably because the 50s were obsessed with nuclear power. Makes for a good contrast, the cheery optimism of the 50s vs the devastating consequences of nuclear weapons.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I haven't played FNV since launch on the 360(or ps3, idk). It crashed too much and I just lost interest with the weapon DR system. Did one Caesar's legion playthrough and that was it. Now, on PC, I decided to give it another go. I did some mods and wowie it sure is nice to play a game that doesn't crash all the time. A couple enemies have sunk through the world's floor post-death, whatever.

Started Honest Hearts, the first DLC yesterday. I'm liking it outside of a single part of the game where, leaving the Yao Guai cave, the game spawned seven cazadores for some absolutely nonsensical reason (seriously what the gently caress). I'm assuming it's a glitch because the same bitching about the cazadore random spawn names 3-4. Had to turn it down to very easy just to progress after exhausting all my regular options, so goodbye to any cheevos on beating the game on normal I guess. Really do love Joshua's voice actor, I might actually listen to an audiobook of the bible read by him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Started Honest Hearts, the first DLC yesterday. I'm liking it outside of a single part of the game where, leaving the Yao Guai cave, the game spawned seven cazadores for some absolutely nonsensical reason (seriously what the gently caress). I'm assuming it's a glitch because the same bitching about the cazadore random spawn names 3-4.

What level are you? What enemies spawn (and what human enemies are armed with) scales very heavily with your level, and can get rather out of hand at high levels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah there's something funky about the spawns in Honest Hearts when fast traveling or exiting interior locations. You can have giant geckos or yuo guai or giant cazadores spawn right on top of you.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Paracelsus posted:

What level are you? What enemies spawn (and what human enemies are armed with) scales very heavily with your level, and can get rather out of hand at high levels.

18. I started at level 13-15, I can't remember. The mod I have makes the DLCs a bit harder to find, I think, so I just found HH and it was the first one I've found that didn't tell me to gently caress off and come back at a higher level.

And just in case someone asks, I typically do evil playthroughs in games first since they tend to be easier, shorter, and allow me to see what the critical path of the entire game will mostly look like. Then I can adjust character builds accordingly. Caesar's legion is pretty weak as far as evil paths went, since there's no actual in-world reason to support them unless you think slavery and rape is pretty fantastic.

The best I've seen is Cyberpunk, mostly because if you ignore the warnings you begin to very quickly realize just how bad you hosed up during the final mission.

The Outer Worlds is mostly just okay.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I don’t know if this helps, but the best way to deal with cazadores is to target their wings in VATS and cripple them; when they can’t fly they become much less of a threat. But that might not be feasible if 3 or 4 of them spawning right on top of you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Use dynamite or grenades it totally cripples them

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I tend not to use a lot of explosives, but cazadores are a perfect target for them since A) they're usually out in the open and B) don't have a lot of loot you need to worry about scattering around

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah ive always wanted to do an explosive run. But my need to find every useful crafting material is bigger too and having them all fly around everywhere isnt exactly ideal for that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

https://twitter.com/OatseGary/status/1346924740225585154

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Iretep posted:

Yeah ive always wanted to do an explosive run. But my need to find every useful crafting material is bigger too and having them all fly around everywhere isnt exactly ideal for that.

VATS. Enemies stay still when you throw explosives at them.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

lol :perfect:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

:yeah:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

VATS. Enemies stay still when you throw explosives at them.

sadly i never have vats on me anymore since i mod it out for a slowmotion effect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

lol again, that guy is speedrunning NV as Joshua Graham, that guy has already been called a Antifa plant and theyre gonna cover him in pitch, set him on fire, etc.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 6, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iretep posted:

sadly i never have vats on me anymore since i mod it out for a slowmotion effect.

Mod it out? I don't know what you are using, but e.g. Project Nevada lets you use both bullet time and VATS. Not that I ever use VATS anymore.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Mod it out? I don't know what you are using, but e.g. Project Nevada lets you use both bullet time and VATS. Not that I ever use VATS anymore.

yeah project nevada. and lol if you think id ever even consider to check if i could turn it back on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iretep posted:

yeah project nevada. and lol if you think id ever even consider to check if i could turn it back on.

I don't mean switch between the two in the menu, by default you have separate keys for the two so you can choose whatever is better for the situation (C and V IIRC)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Drakyn posted:

C'mon, you can't just mention that sort of thing and not drop more details. Read us your fanfic.

I don't actually have anything written out yet other than Ulysses' reasoning being a lot more straightforward and the Divide being a lot less linear. You can have someone with Uly's almost exact same motives and basic underlying themes without it being either the galt speech or a deep lore fanfiction background...and Ulysses' spoken style can less resemble Ulysses the novel.

e: if there's actual interest in me being so ludicrous as to secondguess FNV, then I'll make effort on this a reward for after I finish two bigger effortposts for the pseudoscience threads.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 7, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks. Please, keep us posted. Not sarcastic; I always like your effortposts regardless of the topic.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So after I finished Honest Hearts, which I was really down on and kinda took away a lot of the enthusiasm I was feeling for the game, I saw that vault 22 wasn't too far away and that I had a couple of quests there.

drat, that was just what I needed to get me back into the game. Cool quests, cool place, just a lot of fun and good storytelling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny you should mention Vault 22 considering it's related to some of the backstory in Honest Hearts.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
honest hearts is great if you aren't rushing it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How do you guys nort use Vats Bethesda's engine is so junky its nigh impossible to shoot anything manually

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I just build entirely around VATS so my AP gauge refills like crazy. That plus scoped rifles to pick off stuff from far away, it's not hard to hit guys when they just run directly at you.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So I've never done the DLCs before, and I've been doing them in the wrong order.

Honest hearts was my favorite of the two I've finished. Great story, tragic consequences for what I picked, wonderful whatever, it was good poo poo. Easily one of my favorite stories in the game. A great fallout story.

Then I played Old World Blues, which is just Fallout putting on its clown wig and makeup and dancing around. Granted, that's a part of fallout just as much as the serious stuff, but good lord I cannot be made to like this nonsensical garbage. What the hell! Oh well, onto Sierra Madre (dead money)? I'm level 32 and I've already had agood time killing legion shitters up at the camp. Put boone in power armor and force him to use a power fist, it's like watching a dog at a dog park get let off the leash. pow pow pow

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't enjoy any of New Vegas's DLC. The base game has tons of great content, but the DLC is only worth playing once or twice. Fallout 3 has Point Lookout and Broken Steel going for it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I look forward to every DLC except OWB every time. Love 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

Point Lookout and Broken Steel going for it.

Both are awful, and worse than the worst FNV DLC by far.