Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

lol @ the Dickies grey uniforms, I mostly associate that color with lovely minimum wage jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I thought Osyraa was given a rather tepid death. Oooooh she got shot twice from inside the nanite wall. Jake Weber even had a more spectacular slo-mo death.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I, finale talk, kind of completely adored the finale? I'd prefer a Saru captain, but that's the one and only real issue i had with it. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mSatelS.mp4

I would watch a documentary on fake space creatures

... That's an elder thing with the serial numbers filed off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

... That's an elder thing with the serial numbers filed off.

It looks like one of the Orchids from Picard, just with a little more detail and articulation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Really wish they’d spent more time in the Su’kal holoprogram because it’s far more interesting than the paint-by-numbers Osyraa pirate stuff.

I almost wish they’d committed to the Chain joining the Federation and Osyraa facing justice so that both finale plots would have ended with resolution and healing instead of yet another forgettable fistfight. Osyraa actually choosing to face consequences in exchange for her people getting better resources would have been a nice bit of sympathetic character building instead starting and ending the season as the same one-note evil bad guy.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So inside discovery is a vast pocket universe full of floating turbolifts?

I swear this show...

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Knowing how insane the Discovery's post refit turbolift system is going to drive people who complained about the original turbolifts fills me with life energy

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just because you can CG something doesn't mean you should. Turbolifts exist as fancy elevators and an excuse to have two/maybe 3 characters stand and have a close conversation. Maybe once a season or two they can get stuck in them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mSatelS.mp4

I would watch a documentary on fake space creatures

You know there's exactly such a thing on Netflix called Alien Worlds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YTYleNFaPE

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

G-III posted:

So inside discovery is a vast pocket universe full of floating turbolifts?

I swear this show...

glad deck 78 could make a return cameo; there was that tardis time pod on ent, maybe they have the tech for that now and just use it on the cavern of turbolifts

overall i liked it, but it feels most of the energy this season went into resetting the show for season 4, so hopefully that means good things with a mature production team and cast next time around

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

Knowing how insane the Discovery's post refit turbolift system is going to drive people who complained about the original turbolifts fills me with life energy

The usual suspects are already melting down over it on Twitter. It’s great.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't watch the episode til it's on Netflix tomorrow night, but Saru leaving might be a COVID logistics thing. All that makeup and prosthetics is a a team effort to pull off and it's not really something you can safely do right now without a LOT of extra logistical effort. Especially when the person who's going to be exposed to that team isn't exactly young anymore.

I think they finished s3 before COVID happened. That actor does appear to be prepping for s4 though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Khanstant posted:

I'm with ya, just another reason to at least double the season lengths.
They have more than enough time now, they're just using it extremely badly. If they had more time, the show would still be terrible.

Ramadu posted:

couldn't stop laughing at the cavernous turboshaft landscape of discovery.
:same:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

the wall of programmable matter that absorbs Burnham was dumb
I don't understand why that happened or why Osyraa thought it would work out for her? Like, did she think the ship just has walls that eat people? What were the writers thinking? How did they expect the audience to react to that?

Crusader posted:

it feels most of the energy this season went into resetting the show for season 4, so hopefully that means good things with a mature production team and cast next time around
That's what the optimists have been saying since season one.

Oh, and was it just me or did the hologram of young Su’kal remind anyone else of a Clone Wars character?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pre-refit, but the giant turbolift roller coaster room is actually on the behind-the-scenes discovery layout as the 'systems hub', see circles

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

if they sidebarred Saru to fix the show's point of view problem, e.g. they are contractually obligated to make SMG be the main cast member, so the show can feel like past Trek a little bit more, then I'm ok with it but will be unfortunate to have less Saru :\

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I still don’t get why the interior of the ship is so gigantic. Even before the time jump it seemed like they had an entire city in between the decks. Doesn’t make much sense when you see the turbo lift shafts in the other shows and the jefferies tubes as well. I mean I’m still enjoying it but it throws me out of the show when I notice things like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Acer Pilot posted:

I still don’t get why the interior of the ship is so gigantic. Even before the time jump it seemed like they had an entire city in between the decks. Doesn’t make much sense when you see the turbo lift shafts in the other shows and the jefferies tubes as well. I mean I’m still enjoying it but it throws me out of the show when I notice things like that.

Because it's not a well-made show. A good show would at least be semi-consistent with its designs (let's be honest, even the best ones cheat here and there in service of a story or at least a good joke), but Discovery just does not care.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Finale was fine.

The one thing I really appreciated this season is that we avoided the badmiral trope and got dadmiral instead. I loved every drat scene of his this season.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Do you think Picard ever noticed nutty notes in his tea?

Anyway this finale was poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Tilly's whole arc was to validate Michael, l.m.a.o.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That was an incredibly awful episode of television. My hope for season 4: cancellation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How can Burnham send a message when the enemy has total control of the ship? Because she can.
How does the message make it all the way to Nivar? Because it does.
How does Momnun convince the fractured political apparatus of Nivar to send a fleet to engage a regional power? Because she just does.
How can Discovery tank multiple ships and a starbase? Because it can.
How does Osyria know which doohickey is actually a hidden shield node. She just does.
How does Nivar's fleet get there so fast? Because they do.
Why not just vent the lower decks? A slow leak is more dramatic.
How much supplement oxygen should we keep on this deck? Just enough for a crew of seven to tell stories about their childhood and do a suicide.
Can't the sentient robot deliver the bomb? No of course not
Why do we keep an open quick sand pit in the server room? Because we do.
Couldn't we just, I dunno shoot torpedos at the giant ship we're trapped in? No, because we have to put ourselves in imminent danger first.
Can we at least try? Nah.
Why can my boyfriend access and control the mushroom drive which was previously only accessible by a dude who went on a specific quest to gain said ability? Because he can

Ramadu posted:

whats the next slop you got for me cbs im your little piggie

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This whole episode I was saying, “Where is Jett Reno?”

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoyed it and am looking forward to S4.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

This whole episode I was saying, “Where is Jett Reno?”

Didn't Jett fix a robot and have zero dialogue?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Season 4 opener: "It sure was sad that Reno died on the way back to her home planet"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Trek nerds 20 years from now: “If they have blue uniforms, skip it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, so do any of the Earth ships show up? Is there an actual space battle between the Chain & the Ni'Var fleet, or is it all offscreen? Seems kind of wasteful to make a bunch of one-off ships for Earth of all places if they're not going to be part of the final confrontation.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, so do any of the Earth ships show up? Is there an actual space battle between the Chain & the Ni'Var fleet, or is it all offscreen? Seems kind of wasteful to make a bunch of one-off ships for Earth of all places if they're not going to be part of the final confrontation.

The Starfleet and Ni'var ships are all outside the Chain ship when it blows up but it seems they weren't making any hostile moves. They did have a brief battle with the Starfleet ships at the beginning but the focus was mostly on Discovery. The one thing that modern Trek is terrible at is beauty shots of ships, they don't seem to care, the only exception being the shot of Discovery leaving Earth in S1 and Enterprise-D at the start of Picard.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Yvonmukluk posted:

The nivar ships show up but you cannot actually see themmin the show. Its so stupid. You made all these models!!!!! Let us see them!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
What little you can see of Ni'var ships made me think of Breen ships.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The Emerald Chain ship that captured Discovery two episodes ago and needed to use tentacles since it was only a little bit bigger (and sort of split down the middle because future) is now suddenly massive enough it could just swallow the whole ship like its some kind of starbase?

Also, a warp core ejection system that allows the core to bang against the sides like its on some kind of ride at Action Park doesn't seem like the best idea.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Well, doctor who did crossover with star trek. Maybe we got that Tardis tech. I mean Daniels' locker, right?

E: Or maybe it's the tiny runabout episode again

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ramadu posted:

The nivar ships show up but you cannot actually see themmin the show. Its so stupid. You made all these models!!!!! Let us see them!!

I kind of wish that idea a goon posted of the Ni'Var dusting off SB-19 and getting the Trill & Earth involved too happened. They already modelled Earth & Titan ships that could now be working together, and they were grateful to Discovery for the help already!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

We all knew they wouldn't go with that. Space Stargates is also expanse's thing now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How confused do you think Tig Notaro was when she showed up for filming and they handed her a new uniform and told her to go to the bridge set?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Acer Pilot posted:

We all knew they wouldn't go with that. Space Stargates is also expanse's thing now
I mean, Earth & Ni'Var are both super close, so they could have just made a phone call and they could have warped in too, right?

I can't see how they can bring Saru back if Michael's the captain without demoting one of them. And we know they're not going to demote Michael.

Clearly the correct response is to make him captain of this era's Enterprise, and the show can follow them around from now on.

Edit: Do you think the reason why they phased out the blue uniforms is so they can be dyed and reused for Strange New Worlds? Just use the designs from Beyond, dammit! They're the platonic ideal of modernised TOS.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 7, 2021

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So, they ejected the warp core even though they could jump at any time, in order to blow up the Tardis size morphing battleship for no reason other than they could.

Then they use Aux power for a spore jump and to power the shields in the nebula that they previously needed to be full at full power to survive... precipitating the events of the entire 3 parter... then transporters, and a second jump.

I guess escaping, killing the big bad and saving their friends wasn't enough of a resolution...

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Maybe the storm just ended.