Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tae posted:

Unhinged go-lucky boss prankster who everyone hates, including Chong, zhongli, and qiqi.

If you're actually asking. If you despise something like konasuba, yeah you wouldn't get why she'd popular.

Konosuba is literally "What if we crossed a very laid back game of DnD with the Isekai genre, then took the absolute piss out of both of them and the sort of people who watch anime." so I can't see how anyone here would really hate it. Indifferent, sure. But not outright hate.

Aside from her famous VA (Of whom Megumin is just her latest role.) Hu Tao is officially the game's first "berserker" type character. As her HP gets lower her damage gets higher, up to what is currently known to be a 200% increase. Couple this with a spear like Crescent Pike and a sustained healer like Barbara or Bennett and she has the potential to be an utter game breaker above even Xiangliang depending on her mults and subtat (Which I think is either crit damage or crit. Almost sure it's crit damage. Yet another :stare: moment that help her to utterly snap the game over it's knee.).

Unless they change it between the teasers and now it at least appears like she's going to be a top tier 5 star character for gameplay if you have the right build for her (Increase her attack with artifacts that have both a high direct +attack and attack% to compensate for her having the lowest base attack of any playable character in the game, add a crit chance weapon to boot. Etc, etc.) and can keep her alive at her preferred damage.

There's also the fact that she has some really neat builds possible due to her so far unique design. Keep in mind that berserker set also has a 4 piece bonus that gives insane amounts of crit below 70% HP. And she is as far as anyone knows from teasers she is literally built for insane crit damage builds. Which is the meta for doing massive amounts of damage at the end game.

TL;DR: Girl kicks rear end and is voiced by a famous japanese voice actor. She also has a neat design and may actually be a member of Khaen'riah, given the stars in her eyes. And since a lot of the Khaen'riah folks are...Uh, mentally or physically unwell in this era it excites a lot of lore nerds like me.

On top of that she has legitimately hosed up voice lines that crosses the line so many times (One of her voice lines is a chinese nursery rhyme about a child dying horribly of disease while his brother's desperately try everything to save him. Only since she's a tremendous dick that may in fact be as crazy and nihilistic as some of the Khaen'riah antagonists are implied to be* she decided to replace child with "hilichurl", thereby continuing the trend of hilichurl abuse in a very veiled and culture contextual way.) that it actually becomes really funny if you know the context behind it.

*There's a lot of hints that the alchemist's Gold's experiments may have caused the creation of the hilichurls and other hitherto unseen monstrosities that were of an apocalyptic variety and may be currently unseen. Durin is special since Rhinesdottir, Albedo's mentor, was made by her.

Notably, hilichurl's may in fact be the population of Khaen'riah itself after they were devolved barring a few (very bitter, possibly nuts/apocalypse seeking) survivors. So it's essentially a sad nursery rhyme about how her people have gotten intensely hosed over despite trying to seek freedom from the tyranny of a higher power.

Obviously no one knows if this is a red herring yet but that opens up all sorts of really neat possibilities for her story details. Though that's another :words: post, so I won't go into it unless someone wants me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Archonex posted:

Though that's another :words: post, so I won't go into it unless someone wants me too.

Speaking for myself, i always want you to. even if it all turns out to be a huge pile of horseshit in the end i'm enjoying rolling around in it right now and i know where the showers are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Archonex posted:

Konosuba is literally "What if we crossed a very laid back game of DnD with the Isekai genre, then took the absolute piss out of both of them and the sort of people who watch anime." so I can't see how anyone here would really hate it. Indifferent, sure. But not outright hate.

I watched 4 episodes and found every main character completely insufferable, so I dropped it.

ThePineapple posted:

How much does Sucrose need C1 to function properly? I have her at C0 and am thinking of building her out to help in abyss... but I also don't have sac fragments so I'd be stuck using Thrilling Tales or one of the craftable 4*'s. Maybe I should focus on someone else for now

Have you tried her Trial Run? She's playable, but quite awkward and has huge cooldowns. C1 essentially halves her Skill's cooldown, which is a huuuuuge boost.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 7, 2021

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

It looks like I'm narrowly not going to hit pity in time to get Albedo. I could have done with more support characters and his passive would help reduce the grind with weapons. Oh well, guess I'll start saving up for the next time the 5* banner character isn't another main carry.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Some Numbers posted:

I watched 4 episodes and found every main character completely insufferable, so I dropped it.
That's fair.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Speaking for myself, i always want you to. even if it all turns out to be a huge pile of horseshit in the end i'm enjoying rolling around in it right now and i know where the showers are.

So there's a big subplot in the story unlocks, voice overs, and out of game stuff discussing just what the Khaen'riah survivors are after. And it seems to be a doozy from what they're hinting at. Khaen'riah either indirectly or directly tried to carry on the ancient kingdom's fight against Celestia in the past. They were arguably heroic given how toxic and two faced Celestia's "help" tends to be in the end. Just look at the murdered kingdom on Dragonspine for what Celestia does to people over time.

Obviously they failed horrifically. In fact, the intro with the Unknown Goddess/Herrsher of Void/Kiana may or may not have been that very same fall of Khaen'riah. Y'see, there's a trailer on youtube that shows the prior events before the actual intro to the game. It's extremely heavily implied that Celestia decided to drop the façade of righteousness and just unleashed not-Kiana on Teyvat once it looked like they might lose. This was possibly coupled with two other events:

The death of the line of kings of Khaen'riah. Which is implied to be a curse on Khaen'riah turning them all into monsters. Though, I have a far more viable theory than just "a random curse swept over this country out of nowhere when it was at war with the heavens to free humanity":

There was this guy (or gal, it may even be Rhinesdottir, for all we know) called "Gold". If you've been paying close attention to the game you might have heard of him, but not known the significance of it. And rightfully so, since up until recently he's been buried so deep in the lore that you had to do a deep dive to even realize that the name Gold didn't refer to just Geo training materials. Chalk Follows Gold (Which is ominous in it's own right. Read my prior lore post in this thread to see some of the reasons why. Doubly so now that we know that Rhinesdottir probably made Durin and is loving old.) which is the big tag line for this update and event is just the latest one.

There's no verifiable evidence behind why Gold did it, but it's outright said that he unleashed an army of apocalyptic monstrosities on Teyvat. Notably, they're called shadowy monstrosities on the wiki. Possibly, since Khaen'riah is also often coupled with the Abyss it may be that he somehow opened up a gate to the actual Dirac Sea Abyss/Sea of Quanta and some of the freaky eldritch/lovecraftian horrors from there came out. This is assuming that it isn't just the local AU honkai equivalent. Though it's far more likely that they just used Khemia to make some real monstrosities on par with or in excess of Durin.

This is relevant, since the curse on Khaen'riah is that all of it's people, barring a few survivors (Which may be the ones hidden in the secret forest in the world of darkness according to that Pygmy story. In which case they're hiding from a "cruel goddess" which may or may not be Kiana/The Unknown Goddess and have somehow obtained the protection of the moon. Which is linked to Honkai in the other games...Which puts Kiana/the Unknown Goddess in a weird position, since she's usually the servant of the Honkai entity if she goes bad.) are turning into monsters.

These monsters may be hilichurls, as it was also mentioned that the lands became populated with "barbarians" that forced the people to hide inside the city's walls. Of course, aesthetically, narratively, in terms of animations, and even in terms of their hidden language and it's implications the Hilichurls have a lot of ties to Khaen'riah and other ancient civilizations like the one on Dragonspne. Meaning, the curse may in fact be due to Gold, though that's conjecture on my part. This would also likely mean that Hilichurls are some of the survivors of Khaen'riah and maybe other areas.

Which also has interesting implications, since corrupting people into monsters is literally what Honkai does in a lot of alternate realities.

To this end the survivors appear to have put a plan into place to do... something. However, since Rhinesdottir is obsessed with the alchemical portion known as Nigredo (Commonly thought to be the part where materials are scorched black until they harden or become ash.) and Khaen'riah and some of it's members are right up there with the cyro archon in terms of the whole "I want to burn away the old world to ash." thing...Well, that's not good. It implies that at the very least the Cyro Archon, parts of Khaen'riah (Maybe the abyss order are former Khaen'riah'ans that got mutated too?), and other forces are all trying to trigger a global apocalypse for reasons that have a few potential answers so far.

So how does this play into Hu Tao? Kaeya is outright said to be a spy for Khaen'riah and their "last hope". His father says this with "hatred" before abandoning him to be found by Diluc's family. So, y'know, the guy has issues. However, there is another character with stars in their eyes that isn't sneaky, is incredibly mouthy and would talk about this stuff, likes to gently caress with people, and doesn't wear an eye patch. Hu Tao has the stars in her eyes as well.

Assuming she's also a former spy or at least from Khaen'riah and they aren't about to do a blue balling cop out then this could mean that we're finally going to get a lore drop on Khaen'riah. Either way, another member of Khaen'riah being released, and one that isn't actively acting like a sneaky shithead that keeps secrets for their own sake, means we may actually finally get some answers on what's up with Khaen'riah assuming they want to go that way.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 7, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

urrrrrrrrrrrrgh

its only 90 lvl 3 weapon gems and 90k wasted. there are worse things.

oh and also three ascensions so like another 50k. and nine resin thingers.

mmmmmmm i should just do it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Albedo's passive is way better than I thought it would be. When you're taking weapon mats from green to yellow it's actually more like a >30% refund on materials because 10% gets refunded during each step from green -> blue, blue -> purple, and purple -> gold. It's not game-changing because you really don't have to farm weapons that much, but it's certainly not disappointing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Albedo's passive is way better than I thought it would be. When you're taking weapon mats from green to yellow it's actually more like a >30% refund on materials because 10% gets refunded during each step from green -> blue, blue -> purple, and purple -> gold. It's not game-changing because you really don't have to farm weapons that much, but it's certainly not disappointing.

Wait I thought his passive doubled the product of the craft

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess refund was the wrong word because Mona exists but yes he has a 10% chance to give you double the output.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also if you have both, Albedo gives better returns. It's a small enough difference that you won't lose out too badly if Mona's higher consistency feels better to you, though.

Mona's also nice for the short term if you still have stuff you want to spend lower level mats on and don't feel like nickel and diming with Albedo to make sure you don't end up with more upgraded mats than you need.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Ganyu banner leak says the rate-up 4*s should be Noelle, Barbara, and Beidou. I'm partial to Beidou, and Barbara's fantastic early game, but if anyone's just starting out the rate-up 4*s on current banner are far more useful.

In related news, I bought the $30 crystal pack (w/ 1st time bonus) hoping to get at least one Fischl constellation in 25 rolls. Bennett C3, Sucrose C3, Eye of Perception R4. Balls. At least my pity counter's 55 now?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The banner leaks so far have all been fake (Barbara/Noelle/Beidou, Ninguang/Xiangling/Xingqiu, Amber/Lisa/Barbara, etc). The fake albedo one got so much traction that everyone's making them now.

There's really no reason for the banner to ever get leaked and it was just a weird one-off datamining thing that revealed the Childe/Zhong Li banners (the only banners to ever have been leaked).

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

zgrowler2 posted:

Ganyu banner leak says the rate-up 4*s should be Noelle, Barbara, and Beidou. I'm partial to Beidou, and Barbara's fantastic early game, but if anyone's just starting out the rate-up 4*s on current banner are far more useful.

In related news, I bought the $30 crystal pack (w/ 1st time bonus) hoping to get at least one Fischl constellation in 25 rolls. Bennett C3, Sucrose C3, Eye of Perception R4. Balls. At least my pity counter's 55 now?

Where do I find information on banner leak? I would be so relieved if this is the banner because I really didn't want Ganyu but if Ningguang or Xingqiu were on it, I would have to risk it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ZenietTako/status/1346210929562664960?s=19

https://twitter.com/ennui_axis/status/1346281563852574721?s=19

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Oof, they got me. Thanks for the heads up. Gotta admit that I'm terribly interested in making a banner for my overworld team though

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
drat it, not safe from ice amber. :ohdear:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly the fake banner was too good to be true since it was all poo poo i could avoid without a second thought. but at this point the only cons i want are XQ, Lisa, and Kaeya so i'll just wait on the glitter shop refreshes

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Fischl C5+C6 and Ning C6 are the only ones I'm really chasing atm, I don't have my XQ leveled enough to be hunting for constellations just yet. Definitely at the satiation point with 4*s where I don't need any more random ones, and the only 5*s coming in the next quarter that interest me are the alleged Venti rerun and possibly Xiao. Reckon it's time to save once the stupidly good support banner rolls over

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have a C4 Fish but I don't really have interest in pulling more on the current banner since I have a C5 Bennett.

Should I still buy the fish in the store? I still have enough glitter to buy whatever character is want down the line.

Also, would sac weapons show up in the shop? Because I might not buy fish if I could get a sac sword/bow in the shop.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I have a C4 Fish but I don't really have interest in pulling more on the current banner since I have a C5 Bennett.

Should I still buy the fish in the store? I still have enough glitter to buy whatever character is want down the line.

Also, would sac weapons show up in the shop? Because I might not buy fish if I could get a sac sword/bow in the shop.

Personally, I'd get the C5 now and roll the C6 at random later, but YMMV. Unknown if sac weapons will hit the starglitter shop, so far they've been shop-exclusive weapons

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The shop has only had Blackcliff and Royal weapons so I wouldn't expect sac weapons to show up there.

As for Fischl I'd wait until end of month. Who knows what will happen between now and then. I did three last pulls on this banner yesterday and got C6 Fish so I never had to buy it in the shop.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like I remember someone saying good things about the Blackcliff weapons. Is it the crit damage substat (I think that was their substat)? I haven't used any starglitter so I have enough to get something pretty easily while still having enough if a character comes along that I want later.

No Wave posted:

As for Fischl I'd wait until end of month. Who knows what will happen between now and then. I did three last pulls on this banner yesterday and got C6 Fish so I never had to buy it in the shop.

If you plan on still pulling on banners, yeah.

It turns out I was correct to hold off on spending starglitter on the Fischl, since the roll I did with today's Welkin gave me my final Fischl copy (which would have just been C7 if I had gotten the shop one).

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
you guys convinced me to do a final 10 pull even though I was pretty happy with my results and have been saving primos for the last 10 days. c6 fischl, everyone loves her

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Banners are getting tricky for me to pull now that I have a few C6s in the roster: Fischl, Sucrose, Barbara, Xiangling

For instance, I had been saving for pretty much this banner for Bennet constellations, but the refund for pulling a C6 character just isn't worth it. Banners with any C6 have immediately diminished incentive, so I'm just hoarding primos until something I really want comes around.

I'm at 13k primogems and 66 pulls towards pity, so it's a gamble (albeit 50%) on the next featured 5 star. I don't enjoy aiming charge shots in this game, so Ganyu is unappealing unless there is something unique and cool that makes her fun. What I'm finding to be the deciding factor are the featured 4 stars, but we're only a couple months in and it will only get more difficult as more constellations get filled out.

Is Genshin likely to change how constellations/pulling dupes works?

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 7, 2021

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Colorspray posted:

Is Genshin likely to change the how constellations/pulling dupes works?

Unless we get the CN playerbase to agitate about it, I dunno that it'll change

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The issue is there are only 13 four stars that will be on rate-up banners and they seemed to have stopped making more. It seems untenable long-term for every pull that isn't a 5 star to be a complete brick, but that will be the reality for anyone who's played the game for a year.

I'm not sure what the possible solutions are. There really just isn't enough poo poo in the game for 4* pulls to be interesting for all that much longer and it seems impossible to add new content at a rate that would change this. Maybe this is just gachas though, I don't have experience.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
Disappointing that banner is fake, I really want C2 Barb. And C6 Noelle. Dang

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im pretty convinced hu tao got bumped to 5 stars during development to fill in a slot. if we assume the next 4 stars are out in 1.4, then they're basically releasing new characters at a 1:3 ratio (for a game very focused on character banners this doesn't seem good!) honkai in comparison released 2 characters per patch generally, at a 1:1 ratio. hard to say if they just aren't able to keep up with demand, or they're making such stupid amounts of money they're actually just bumping up an extra 5 star per patch.

they could do some kind of mixed banner that features 4 star weapons and the 5 star character if things get really dire i guess, outside of whales i dont really see anyone pulling on the weapons. personally ive gotten something like 20 favonius weapons as off rate pulls, so between that and the BP weapons im not really hurting for stuff to give my supports. i also pulled 3? stringless off the albedo banner somehow.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just give me the waterboy on the banner, Miyoho. How am I supposed to make a Ganyu freeze comp with these new cryo freeze artifacts when I have no hydro characters except Barbara? The only other options are 5*s, one of which you can't even get anymore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Radical posted:

im pretty convinced hu tao got bumped to 5 stars during development to fill in a slot. if we assume the next 4 stars are out in 1.4, then they're basically releasing new characters at a 1:3 ratio (for a game very focused on character banners this doesn't seem good!) honkai in comparison released 2 characters per patch generally, at a 1:1 ratio. hard to say if they just aren't able to keep up with demand, or they're making such stupid amounts of money they're actually just bumping up an extra 5 star per patch.

they could do some kind of mixed banner that features 4 star weapons and the 5 star character if things get really dire i guess, outside of whales i dont really see anyone pulling on the weapons. personally ive gotten something like 20 favonius weapons as off rate pulls, so between that and the BP weapons im not really hurting for stuff to give my supports. i also pulled 3? stringless off the albedo banner somehow.
I got so mad hearing about other people owning Stringless and Sacrificial Fragments that I rolled on this weapon banner. It actually worked out really well and now I don't need weapons... ever.

I feel certain that the lack of 4*s is a development time issue. I know this game doesn't have enough content but the rate at which they release polished stuff is insane, even for a 500 person company.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Radical posted:

This seems fairly reasonable, since thats how 1.1 was working. Childes banner had Diona and Zhonglis had Xinyin, but then we suddenly have no new 4*s and Ganyu and Hu Tao are 5*.

It's possible they were always planned as 5*, but if so, that just super spotlights the weirdness of Ning bring a 4*

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
They should remove c6s from the loot pool, especially now that the launch whales will have moved on. Granted, this would be an unusual move for Mihoyo even if it's not uncommon for other gacha games. (Pretty sure Honkai doesn't do this)

I agree any change is unlikely unless China starts complaining.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like I remember someone saying good things about the Blackcliff weapons. Is it the crit damage substat (I think that was their substat)? I haven't used any starglitter so I have enough to get something pretty easily while still having enough if a character comes along that I want later.

yeah, c.dmg is just a good substat. the passive is fine everywhere except abyss, where it drops to "ok"

whether they're worth it depends on how much starglitter you have, but they are solid weapons if you lack prototypes or alternatives.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi it’s me who spent all his star glitter on regular rolls because he was on the wrong tab.

:bang:

At least I bought the character first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Honkai has the benefit that most of their roster is the same 5 characters. Genshin at launch had more unique characters and voice actors than all of Honkai's entire lifetime.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

kater posted:

It’s been two weeks or so of trying to enjoy Diluc but I’ve just given up and gone back to Noelle for my claymore needs. She is just better.

Best post in this entire thread.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

kater posted:

It’s been two weeks or so of trying to enjoy Diluc but I’ve just given up and gone back to Noelle for my claymore needs. She is just better.

a man of refinement and taste

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Honestly, at this point I'd be perfectly happy if they released new 5*s and then elemental alta for existing characters. Give me fire Barb or cryo Xiang or electro Ning.

The MC already has the tech to do this, and you'd vastly widen your pool without needing unique voicework and simply editing existing models, as well as life/etc.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

kater posted:

SPIN 2 WIN

actual content, Diluc just doesn't seem mechanically interesting to me at all

e:

Saxophone posted:

Honestly, at this point I'd be perfectly happy if they released new 5*s and then elemental alta for existing characters. Give me fire Barb or cryo Xiang or electro Ning.

The MC already has the tech to do this, and you'd vastly widen your pool without needing unique voicework and simply editing existing models, as well as life/etc.

I'd be interested in seeing if there's room in the lore for this given the way that they've set up Visions. Maybe Delusions like how Childe gets away with it?

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I would honestly prefer this

Delusions seem to give the perfect plot hook for it too