Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How single player friendly is the new Monster Hunter expected to be? Last time I tried Monster Hunter was way back on the Wii and it did not click for me. I’ll probably check out the demo too when it drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Reveal video:

https://youtu.be/iUmcU4LT_jg

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cartoon Man posted:

How single player friendly is the new Monster Hunter expected to be? Last time I tried Monster Hunter was way back on the Wii and it did not click for me. I’ll probably check out the demo too when it drops.

The new Monster Hunter works a bit like World and a bit like older Monster Hunters. World did away with the single player and "hub" quest divide, making it so any quest can be tackled alone or in a group. Rise brings back the divide, but the "hub" quests are scaled to number of players. So, in theory it's very single player friendly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

The new Monster Hunter works a bit like World and a bit like older Monster Hunters. World did away with the single player and "hub" quest divide, making it so any quest can be tackled alone or in a group. Rise brings back the divide, but the "hub" quests are scaled to number of players. So, in theory it's very single player friendly.

Have they said whether the multi is going to be hub only or if there's an SOS system like in World?

I adored the SOS system because it did away with the part of MH multi I always hated, the "hop into a hub, do three quests you don't need, queue up your quest and then everyone drops."

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am going to download *the gently caress* out that demo

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Huxley posted:

Have they said whether the multi is going to be hub only or if there's an SOS system like in World?

I adored the SOS system because it did away with the part of MH multi I always hated, the "hop into a hub, do three quests you don't need, queue up your quest and then everyone drops."

The village/hub split is back. Nothing they've said indicates that they're bringing flares back.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe instead of a flare you shoo a wirebug up into the air :3:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They did say on one of the earlier videos that they're looking to add something akin to flares / joining mid-hunt

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I loved World but didn't play the other games, what's the difference between World and how it was before? I loved how easy it was to join people's games, the only bad thing was having to wait until they've seen a cutscene

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I totally understand the vibe they are going for and that a lot of people, particularly japanese players, dug the community aspect of making friends and helping each other and really getting into a groove in a hub.

But also, being able to search for exactly the monster you want to farm and jumping in, or getting stuck on a fight and being able to just hit a button and have three extremely powerful randoms show up and clobber something, was nice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I loved World but didn't play the other games, what's the difference between World and how it was before? I loved how easy it was to join people's games, the only bad thing was having to wait until they've seen a cutscene

In the older games you would join a room and people would post quests to the board and you would all depart together to do them. I think usually the rooms were labelled as being like, "Nergigante farming" and every quest would be that. But some rooms were unlabelled or generically labelled and you'd have four people doing sort of a soft turn-taking thing.

It probably worked great if you wanted to farm a popular monster or had IRL people you just wanted to chill with. But every time I tried it in XX, I would hop into a hub, do a quest that was up, then everyone sort of stumbled around waiting for someone to post something. Then one person would, two other players would drop, and then the hub would fall apart.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

x1o posted:

Just sliding in to say La Mulana is amazing and I'm so thankful it got a switch port. I'm going to take advantage of the sale to stock up on some other Metroidvanias to play, so does anyone have any recommendations?

I've already finished Bloodstained, I've got Hades in the backlog and Hollow Knight & Yoku's Island Express just didn't click for me sadly.

I'd suggest A Robot Named Fight I think it's been the most best little surprise I've had recently. It's randomized Super Metroid. Nothing more to it really. But it's still pleasant. I like the back-tracking and the in-game achievements give you something slightly to work for. There's an achievement for beating it 6 times so I may try for that. I got it for 2 euro back in the day, so wait for a nice sale but yeah it's a fun little diversion.

Yoku I played a bit of. It's very charming for a fiver, but it's pinball, and I'm not like great at pinball or super into it. But if you like pinball you should really get it.

I'll definitely beat it though because it looks like a lovely little labor of love.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PowerBeard posted:

Monster Hunter Rise demo out later today on Switch. :drat:

Cool. I always wanted to try one of these

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I always knew their pre-DKC library as being stuff like RC Pro Am, Snake Rattle and Roll, and Captain Skyhawk. I never knew they made so much dogshit games as well.

I still wonder where my dad went to get bootleg multicarts. Tag yourself, I'm the Nild Gunman.

Star Solbier

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What were all the "CRAZY _________" versions of something already listed, quick reskins or romhacks?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

In the older games you would join a room and people would post quests to the board and you would all depart together to do them. I think usually the rooms were labelled as being like, "Nergigante farming" and every quest would be that. But some rooms were unlabelled or generically labelled and you'd have four people doing sort of a soft turn-taking thing.

It probably worked great if you wanted to farm a popular monster or had IRL people you just wanted to chill with. But every time I tried it in XX, I would hop into a hub, do a quest that was up, then everyone sort of stumbled around waiting for someone to post something. Then one person would, two other players would drop, and then the hub would fall apart.

oh, so it's just really annoying for playing with other people? my friends and I pretty much just hung out at the gathering hub anyway other than to go to the smith and such

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
did anyone play CRAZY NUTS AND MILK i kinda wanna know what goes on in there

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh, so it's just really annoying for playing with other people? my friends and I pretty much just hung out at the gathering hub anyway other than to go to the smith and such

The old MonHun leaned HARD on the DS’s ability to play locally. It’s why they were hugely popular in Japan. You played as a group in real life. Multiplayer was based all around that. This... does not translate well to online multiplayer.

World did the best of both worlds by having the hubs/lobbies (up to 16 players!) from which you could post/join quests and also introduced the SOS flare for an even more pick up and go online option.

Rise has indicated the return of old 4 player hubs but they’ve also mentioned the ability to join quests mid-hunt/ask for help so I think a form of the flare will be making a return.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I found it to be a slog in XX, but who knows about this game. Everyone jumping in at the same time and Discord being a thing now, it might be just fine.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

looking forward to getting on the Switch to get in a lobby with friends in MH and turning on my PS5 to get in an actual party with them

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

looking forward to getting on the Switch to get in a lobby with friends in MH and turning on my PS5 to get in an actual party with them

Learn to communicate exclusively using stickers

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

did anyone play CRAZY NUTS AND MILK i kinda wanna know what goes on in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosPvc-U7Eg

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What were all the "CRAZY _________" versions of something already listed, quick reskins or romhacks?

Usually half finished romhacks of dubious origin.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

American McGay posted:

There's absolutely no way you'd be able to determine if it had an OLED screen or not based on "datamining the firmware" lmfao.

This is such bullshit.

Devices with OLED screens usually have software mitigations to try to minimise burn-in by slightly adjusting the position of GUI elements over time

If there's something like that in the Switch firmware it's a pretty clear indication

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Huh. Probably about what I should have expected.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

There's absolutely no way you'd be able to determine if it had an OLED screen or not based on "datamining the firmware" lmfao.

This is such bullshit.
I wouldn't be so fast to make that judgement. SciresM and hexkyz are the Switch hackers and are basically the reason that homebrew (and indirectly, piracy) works and has kept up with all Switch OS updates to date. They really know their poo poo, so if they've found evidence of a funny Switch model with an OLED display that's, well, what they found. Doesn't mean Nintendo is actually going to bring it to market.

Snake Maze posted:

How many times has the Switch Pro been confirmed now? I feel like its at least one a year since release.
There's always been more Switch hardware in the wild than what's actually sold on store shelves. In addition to the three known retail models, you have a variety of devkits, debug units, and prototype devices, so we know other hardware is out there, what's difficult to figure out is what all Nintendo is testing with and what's actually going to ship as a new retail model.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 7, 2021

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I know I'm late to this but I just started Hades and it is amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

They read the tea leaves, and the PRO is coming

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Random Hero posted:

I know I'm late to this but I just started Hades and it is amazing.

its my favorite roguelike anything ever

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

japtor posted:

Is that a typo or joke name? Cause I can’t seem to find the game/screenshots (searching sure found some...other stuff though). But anyway so no clue about the game itself, so the closest thing (besides docked play on a bigger screen?) is the screen zoom accessibility feature. But it just zooms the whole screen (and I forget if it’s adjustable) so usefulness is probably gonna be limited here unless the game can fit perfectly in the zoomed area.

Oh whoops. It was a typo, yeah. It's Depixtion. Also, thanks! I forgot the screen zoom was a thing. That will probably help, it'll be a little awkward but I prefer that to just not doing the last 25 puzzles.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hades seriously pushes the medium of video games forward

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hades is fun but it's not the second coming of videogame jesus like y'all make it sound.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what does it do to push the medium forward lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

Hades is the second coming of videogame Zagreus.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

Its telling a story that genuinely wouldnt work as well as a movie/book/tv show and incorporates gameplay into storytelling better than the overwhelming majority of video games.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

unlike other games, it's actually good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know if Hades does anything new but it's certainly an exemplar of tying gameplay progression and narrative together and giving it that good feel we're always looking for in games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

unlike other games, it's actually good

:hmmyes:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

It takes a format that has been fairly niche over the past 10 years (high-skill rogue, small advancement across runs, death as a mechanic) and blew it up in popularity by making it sexy, story-forward, and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Hades is really fun but I don’t get all the praise for its story. The story is by far the weakest out of all of Supergiant’s games, in large part because it has to be structured around the run based gameplay.