Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Yeah, if it takes 1-1.5 hours normal cooking, I usually don't bother using my instant pot.

But for things that need time like unsoaked beans, broths or stew it is amazing because it can save you hours. Some recipes also nearly take as long as making them normally but have a lot less steps and don't need to be watched, which is great when you have guests. The Butter Chicken one posted above is a good example of a dish that reduces attention time a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's also nice to free up the oven or other appliances for other things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Having everything contained that I don’t have to watch is a big plus with small kids running around!

My kitchen needs a rewire though always running out of outlets..

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Honestly the time saving ability so far seems to be for things that normally take 3 hours or more. Everything else you can do just as easily using conventional methods.

That's fair, but pressure cooker risotto is so much easier and quicker.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NPR Journalizard posted:

That's fair, but pressure cooker risotto is so much easier and quicker.

I don't think I've ever eaten risotto, but I thought it took a really long time too.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think I've ever eaten risotto, but I thought it took a really long time too.

Not really. Under an hour to do it manually.

Cant recommend pressure cooker risotto enough though. Simple as to do, you preheat the cooker so you dont have to wait for ages, its a one pot dish and turns out as good as doing it normally, only in half the time and gently caress all effort.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I forgot about risotto! I had to stop making it by hand as the constant stirring was too much for my RSI. Gonna eat some fancy cheesy rice for dinner after my next grocery outing. :yum:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

My "favourite" thing about online recipes so far is that they don't count the time to heat up or naturally release, even though the recipe calls for that.

Baked potato in 14 minutes also involves 8 minutes of heating and 20-30 of releasing, bringing you up to 52 minutes, which I could use to make a real baked potato in the oven.

Honestly the time saving ability so far seems to be for things that normally take 3 hours or more. Everything else you can do just as easily using conventional methods.

That's why so many are converted crock pot recipes, that's pretty much what it replaced for me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I make ATK’s risotto a lot in my Le Creuset. It doesn’t take an hour.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I make ATK’s risotto a lot in my Le Creuset. It doesn’t take an hour.

Yeah by hand it's like 30m start to stop for the amount I make but 20 of that is constant stirring. Be nice to set and forget.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why is it ok to pressure cook risotto but not ok to just cook it without stirring?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No Wave posted:

Why is it ok to pressure cook risotto but not ok to just cook it without stirring?

It's fine.
you only have to stir the rice once.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

No Wave posted:

Rapidly releasing the pressure causes enough bubbling/agitation to get the job done.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
So I've been loving this curry recipe:
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-japanese-beef-curry/

But I just moved and so far both times I've tried to make it, releasing after 10 minutes has showered my kitchen in brown crud.

The first time I thought maybe I hadn't trimmed the fat well enough (just moved, no cutting board yet) but this time I was very careful and had the same result.

This was two different cuts from different stores... is all the meat in my new city trash or could it be something else?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno about your recipe but you can save your kitchen in any case by covering the release valve with a kitchen towel. Helps keep the steam from billowing everywhere even if you don't get gunk in your valve.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I normally don't quick release my stews. But you could bring the soup to a boil and skimming the foam before going up to pressure. Or just don't overfill your cooker.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quick releasing isn't strictly necessary with curry if you have time, so maybe plan for letting it sit a bit/until so cooled? But even if you do nothing should spurt out the valve, could it be you filled it too high maybe?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

AgentCow007 posted:

So I've been loving this curry recipe:
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-japanese-beef-curry/

But I just moved and so far both times I've tried to make it, releasing after 10 minutes has showered my kitchen in brown crud.

The first time I thought maybe I hadn't trimmed the fat well enough (just moved, no cutting board yet) but this time I was very careful and had the same result.

This was two different cuts from different stores... is all the meat in my new city trash or could it be something else?

Did you change elevation?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s a good risotto recipe for the ‘pot?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hadji murad posted:

What’s a good risotto recipe for the ‘pot?

Any of the ones from Serious Eats.

Mushroom

Corn

Butternut Squash

Vegan Miso

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the corn recipe loving owns but i dunno how good it would be without fresh corn. i should try it with frozen and see how it turns out

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BraveUlysses posted:

the corn recipe loving owns but i dunno how good it would be without fresh corn. i should try it with frozen and see how it turns out

What about a can of creamed corn?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Beachcomber posted:

My "favourite" thing about online recipes so far is that they don't count the time to heat up or naturally release, even though the recipe calls for that.

Baked potato in 14 minutes also involves 8 minutes of heating and 20-30 of releasing, bringing you up to 52 minutes, which I could use to make a real baked potato in the oven.

Try using less water. I make potatoes in the IP all the time: Add 1 cup water and wire rack, turn on warm, wash potatoes, 14 min for large, 13 minutes for medium, 10 min for natural release if you want to wait.

I make a full pot and during the week slice them for fried potatoes, only takes about 3 minutes per side.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

Any of the ones from Serious Eats.

Mushroom

Corn

Butternut Squash

Vegan Miso

I quite liked the Vegan Miso one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wormil posted:

Try using less water. I make potatoes in the IP all the time: Add 1 cup water and wire rack, turn on warm, wash potatoes, 14 min for large, 13 minutes for medium, 10 min for natural release if you want to wait.

I make a full pot and during the week slice them for fried potatoes, only takes about 3 minutes per side.

Do I not have to wait?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm moving soon, and most of my kitchen equipment at this point is actually my roommate's. I'm thinking of getting an instant pot, but there's so many loving models. Assuming I'm a terrible lazy idiot cook whose most recent triumph has come from sticking a ham in an oven for three hours, what options are worth it? I like fancy food but am not a very good cook, so stuff like sous vide meats and risotto sounds good. I work from home so pressure cooker cook times aren't a big deal if I can just take a break, chop up ingredients and stick them in, go back to work, and eat an hour or two later. It's the 6-10 hour slow cooker cook times that are a pain in the rear end if I forget to put something together until after lunch.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
From everything I've heard, the sous vide on the instant pot doesn't really work.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the 6 quart instant pot duo is a solid model

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dont get lost in the weeds on all the buttons and options, most recipes are just “set for high pressure and walk away”.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The buttons are configurable as well, so you can basically just use them as presets and ignore whatever is said on the button.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

From everything I've heard, the sous vide on the instant pot doesn't really work.

It seems to work fine to me. What doesn't work about it?

I like our 8 qt model, has the air fryer attachment. We have a smaller kitchen, so having just one appliance for everything is good. We wouldn't be able to store a separate appliance for everything. I'd say go that route and if you end up wanting dedicated appliances, adding them later isn't some big waste.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm moving soon, and most of my kitchen equipment at this point is actually my roommate's. I'm thinking of getting an instant pot, but there's so many loving models. Assuming I'm a terrible lazy idiot cook whose most recent triumph has come from sticking a ham in an oven for three hours, what options are worth it? I like fancy food but am not a very good cook, so stuff like sous vide meats and risotto sounds good. I work from home so pressure cooker cook times aren't a big deal if I can just take a break, chop up ingredients and stick them in, go back to work, and eat an hour or two later. It's the 6-10 hour slow cooker cook times that are a pain in the rear end if I forget to put something together until after lunch.

instant pot duo 6qt is the baseline, it has all the most useful features and it's nice and cheap. Get the 8qt if you want to make a gallon of stock at one go. Get the duo evo plus if you want to spend 40 additional dollars to upgrade the controls. Get the air fryer model if you want to spend the price of a toaster oven to add a tiny, inferior toaster oven to your instant pot instead of purchasing a separate better one. Get any of the other models if they're on sale for less than the duo. Check costco if you're a member. Source: wirecutter, which has extensively reviewed just about every aspect of the instant pot

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I see in that Wirecutter article that some of them have some kind of altitude adjustment. How important is that if I'm living up in the CO mountains at 8-9000 feet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Internet Explorer posted:

I like our 8 qt model, has the air fryer attachment.

How do you find the attachment? I'm in the camp of "I hear air frying is cool and good but I really don't have the space for yet another machine in my kitchen". If it's comparable to a standalone, I might have to give it a shot.

e: Reviews on Amazon (albeit my least trusted source) seem overwhelmingly positive and the price is a bit lower than a standalone, so think I'll be adding this to my wishlist.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I see in that Wirecutter article that some of them have some kind of altitude adjustment. How important is that if I'm living up in the CO mountains at 8-9000 feet?

I live at about 6,000 feet and get pretty good results multiplying all cook times about about 1.25. I think I determined that based on a rough guide somewhere, but I don’t recall where.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

How do you find the attachment? I'm in the camp of "I hear air frying is cool and good but I really don't have the space for yet another machine in my kitchen". If it's comparable to a standalone, I might have to give it a shot.

I bought a unit that had the air fryer built in. Gave the old IP to a family member who didn't have one but liked to cook.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT23JDM

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm at sea level but here's a website with a chart that suggests you can adjust cook times by about 30% to compensate for that altitude. I don't know if the machines with altitude adjust are doing anything more than that but it's only on a couple of older machines so I assume it's not so important. NB adding 30% to cook time with a pressure cooker doesn't mean adding 30% to total time, since time to come to pressure and release should be the same or maybe even a bit less.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Currently making from dry, to put into pasta sauce. I cook them in water, then drain them, then put them in the sauce I'm making.

Is it possible to skip the middle step and cook the dry (or soaked) beans directly in the sauce, in the pressure cooker? Like instead of soaked beans and water, i do soaked beans, crushed tomato, spices, and probably some extra water?

Is that a thing, that one can do? Can humankind handle this kind of power?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The acid from the tomatoes will likely make it take longer. I've never added some much acid that they didn't soften eventually, but I've definitely had it take 2x the supposed cook time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cooking beans in that much acid will probably ensure they never get the right texture. also generally my experience with the instant pot and a lot of tomato is the burn warning and a lot of time scrubbing the pot