Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah DJI Care website, at least the splashy marketing stuff says it's covered as long as your coverage amount isn't exceeded, no deductibles and shipping cost covered by DJI, where is your $70 going? This is on top of the $250 you already paid for total loss insurance through the manufacturer?

By paying an extra 70 on top of your initial 250 you just added 25% to the cost of your "all-in" insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dji care itself was only $70 I believe. I have it insured through State Farm as well because dji care requires you to send the drone back for repair or replacement and I fly over Lake Michigan a lot.

If it goes in the drink, gets stolen or suffers a flyaway then dji care will tell me to pound sand.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Question for Canadians who have passed their basic drone test: Are there any publications (like METARS or NOTAMS or whatever) that let you know whether Hercules aircraft will be conducting Search & Rescue training in your area on a given day?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I used DJI Care last year. Repair was quoted at $99 or I could opt for the Refresh at $120. I paid the 99 and they ended up sending me a different M2Z anyways. As far as I could tell it was brand new, but could have just been a clean refurb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Question for Canadians who have passed their basic drone test: Are there any publications (like METARS or NOTAMS or whatever) that let you know whether Hercules aircraft will be conducting Search & Rescue training in your area on a given day?

Do you regularly have these airplanes flying around your area?

If it's a regular thing, it may appear in the NOTAMs for nearby airports. Particularly if you have restricted areas (marked CYR ### on the VNCs) associated with military training activities nearby. It likely won't say "Hercules aircraft conducting SAR training" but there may be a reference to flight training or military activities at certain hours.

If you're looking for a way to find where the airplanes will be at any given moment, no, that doesn't really exist. You could track their tail numbers on ADS-B exchange or something maybe.

METAR is only weather information.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The new dji drones have ADS-B recievers built in although I don’t recall if they tell you anything about the plane or if they just announce that an aircraft is within range

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 7, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

https://plan.navcanada.ca/wxrecall/

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks!

I remember from studying that there's a list of all the certified and registered airports somewhere, so that link is going to come in very handy. I don't know if it's S&R planes specifically but someone likes occasionally flying up to 3 of them at a time at what seems like low altitude - low enough to set off my dog anyway.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Not sure if you need it for the basic licence, but you can get a complete list of Canadian aerodromes here:
http://products.navcanada.ca/CFSENG.html?sc=17&category=63497

You can, however, get the same data with a Foreflight subscription, but unless you're going to fly in controlled airspace (or near aerodromes), I don't think there's any point in getting either.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I don't think it's necessary but Don Joyce says it's "crucial" to be able to read CFS tables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpNwFuiorY. I don't know why that would be the case for basic drone license holders, as aerodromes are no-fly zones. But the test is rumored to contain some nonsensical questions. Maybe I need to be able to read CFS charts.

fake edit: Do Canadian airports seriously issue warnings not to fly over Iraq/Lybia? Now I think I understand the drone test better. They think I'm stupid enough that I need to be told that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes and it kinda undermines the purpose of notams as people are likely to just ignore them.
I recently did my CPL(H) test and part of the exam package was preparing documents, including notams.
I printed something like 35 pages woth of Notams, with 20+ being repeats of Syria, Covid, etc restrictions.

The CFS is still kinda handy, as it'll give you contact info for any nearby aerodrome, so if you do have a flyaway in the general direction of one, you can easily find a contact number in the CFS.

The test is essentially open book, as you do it online in your own home and is fairly easy and can probably loook up all the answers without too much preperation
The Advanced test is a fair bit harder and you'd struggle without previous study.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
No. I must study all the documents. I found a practice test online and know I failed.

Does this seem like about the same level of difficulty as the basic test https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8D03jX4ZsrvTl7jtvCPK-57hui7uEiUqLeLyJIw5WbB_q4g/viewform ?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmm, I wonder if they've made the basic and advanced the same thing? Kinda looks like it, looking at the CARs.
Just different amount of questions/pass rate/time limit.

In any case, 65% pass rate is easy, but if you really want to study, you'll need this:
This will cover most of the regulations:
https://www.pilotshop.ca/aeronautical-information-manual.html

The official CARs are here:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-96-433/

In addition, this is probably the best weather text book out there:
https://www.pilotshop.ca/royal-canadian-air-force-weather-manual-workbook.html

This will cover most of the aerodynamics, navigation, powerplants, etc:
https://www.pilotshop.ca/from-the-ground-up.html
Most of the stuff in "FTGU" can be found online, but the definitions in here are often repeated ad verbatim in the TC exams.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thank you but I only download documents that are free of charge. Like this one:
https://www2.tc.gc.ca/ca-publications/aim_2020-1_e_rpa.pdf

quote:

3.6 Special Flight Operations - RPAS
3.6.1 General
Not every operational consideration can be addressed through
regulation. This is particularly true in industries where
technology is rapidly evolving such as the RPAS industry. Part
IX of the CARs allows the Minister to issue a Special Flight
Operations Certificate - RPAS to allow certain operations that
are not covered by the Part IX regulation. These operations
include:
a) RPAS with a maximum take-off weight greater than 25kg;
b) BVLOS operations;
c) foreign operators;
d) operations at altitudes greater than 400 ft AGL;
e) operation of more than 5 RPAs from a single control station;
f) operation at a special aviation event or an advertised event;
g) operations with restricted payloads;
h) operations within 3 NM of an aerodrome operated under
the authority of the Minister of National Defence;
i) any other operation determined by the Minister to require
an SFOC.
3.6.2 Application for a Special Flight Operations
Certificate - RPAS
The procedures for applying for a Special Flight Operations
Certificate - RPAS are detailed on Transport Canada’s Web
site (<https://www.canada.ca/drone-safety>) as well as Advisory
Circular 903-001. The applicant should be able to demonstrate
an operational need for the type of certificate requested as well
as a robust risk management plan that not only identifies any
possible hazards associated with the proposed operation and
their corresponding risks but proposes a plan to mitigate them.
Applicants should anticipate at least 30 days of lead time to
receive an SFOC but should be aware that, depending on the
complexity of the operation and the completeness of the
application, it could be longer.

Is there anything in there about needing an advanced license to get an SFOC? There doesn't appear to be any to me. Also, I can't find anything about time limits in SFOCs. Say I want to fly beyond visual line of sight for an indefinite period. Is there anything stopping a person for asking for a 2 year long SFOC?

Have you guys seen this form?

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX

It's not really very long or complicated. Just some checkboxes and dates.

edit: What would be factors that would increase your likelihood of getting an SFOC issued? Having an airband scanner? If you're in uncontrolled airspace and listening for traffic, nobody should care if you want to sit at >400' doing a hyperlapse. Right?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Say I want to fly beyond visual line of sight for an indefinite period. Is there anything stopping a person for asking for a 2 year long SFOC?

You are unlike to get a BVLOS SFOC in the first place, without a good reason and a proven track record as an RPAS operator.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

edit: What would be factors that would increase your likelihood of getting an SFOC issued? Having an airband scanner? If you're in uncontrolled airspace and listening for traffic, nobody should care if you want to sit at >400' doing a hyperlapse. Right?

Airplanes flying in uncontrolled airspace are not required to announce their position, and a drone hovering at 1000 feet is a nearly invisible hazard to airplanes in the area. There's a reason they set the limit at 400 feet and that reason is that the minimum altitude for normal airplane operations is 500' AGL. They don't want drones anywhere that airplanes are anticipated to be at any time.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 11, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Are there manned aircraft without ADS-B transmitters?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep. The American ADS-B Out requirements (broadly) only apply in places where a transponder is required; that is, in class A/B/C airspace, within 30 miles of a class B airport, or above 10,000 feet MSL. Lots airplanes at little podunks are still flying around without ADS-B transmitters. There are also further exceptions for very old planes originally built without an electrical system.

I understand that in Canada there is no GA ADS-B Out requirement at all.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

DreadLlama posted:

Are there manned aircraft without ADS-B transmitters?

Ultralights and paramotors are even less regulated than RC aircraft, and if they hit a drone they're going to have a really bad time

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Man that's crazy. I'm trying to imagine an airplane cheap enough not to justify an extra $332 Canadian is such a large investment relative to the price of the aircraft as to not be worth it. I mean, I can see why you wouldn't necessarily want one on a tiny whoop for example. But if you're putting yourself in the air... I mean, it's like seatbelts and bike helmets. Or in this case maybe more like having headlights. I get that it's not legally required but that seems stupid to me.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You are unlike to get a BVLOS SFOC in the first place, without a good reason and a proven track record as an RPAS operator.

What are good reasons to fly BVLOS that don't also say "commercial operator"? One wants to be assured that their "no hunting or tresspassing signs" are being followed, for example. Or maybe I want to monitor crown health of a sugar maple several hundred meters away.. along with the crown health of the one next to it, and the one next to that. Maybe I want to keep an eye out for signs of illegal logging. I can think of lots of reasons I want to fly bvlos. But what reasons do they care about?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a receiver. The ADS-B Out mandate requires that you install a transmitter (with fairly high power) and a high-accuracy aviation-certified GPS receiver.

The most common sort of retrofit kit is something like this, which replaces one of your navigation lamps (and includes LEDs to maintain its function): https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/uavionix_11-17246.php

$2000 isn't that bad considering the cost of other airplane stuff but it also isn't $332, and if you're only flying around in podunk airspace where it's not required, it provides very little direct benefit to you.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'd say that having my flying lawnmower automatically get out of your way is a pretty good benefit. Don Joyce had a video about how Canada was soliciting drone pilots for advice about new bvlos regulations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF4qBJNIbYk. I'd thought from the tone of his video that podnuk bvlos was something they were looking to essentially deregulate anyways. Is that not the case?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 11, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

What are good reasons to fly BVLOS that don't also say "commercial operator"?

Likely none. Because you are crossing the boundary where conflict resolution with manned aviation become infinitely harder, TC wants you to have a valid reason why the operation can't be carried out LOS and ensure that you are taking necessary precautions to deal with potential conflicts and have appropriate procedures in place.

Your eyes and ears, as a RPAS operator, will be infinitely more valuable than any ADS-B that a manned aircraft may or may not have.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I'd say that having my flying lawnmower automatically get out of your way is a pretty good benefit.

Don't fly your flying lawnmower where it is in my way thanks

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I don't object to that, but I object to your claiming the entirety of the sky above 400' as being in your way.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I don't object to that, but I object to your claiming the entirety of the sky above 400' as being in your way.

If we have no way of realistically spotting you....It's hard enough to see manned aircraft at times.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
This why I strongly agree with Don Joyce's opinion that manned aircraft should be electronically conspicuous and drones should all carry ADS-B sense and avoid functions. I'd rather everyone could share the air safely than having to segregate it. Buddhists build temples on mountains for a reason. Everyone wants to sit in the sky.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sure...if say, drones oculd maintain an effective lookout (they currently can't) and are subject to the same licensing and maintenance requirement as manned. Then you might have a point...but at the moment most drone pilots are going "What about my FREEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!" when asked to register their drones, so that part is a long way away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

All aircraft pilots have a duty to see and avoid other traffic. I will do my best to see and avoid a drone, but it's the size of a bird and essentially stationary (and it doesn't flap, so it's even harder to spot). How aware are you of the traffic around you when you're flying? Are you constantly looking around yourself for planes, or are you focusing mostly on the ground?

I know that this is the drone thread and not the airplane thread, and perhaps the two camps are just destined to be enemies, but be aware that there are very good reasons for the altitude restrictions to be what they are.

DreadLlama posted:

drones should all carry ADS-B sense and avoid functions.

This is a very rare opinion among drone people but I appreciate it. I still don't think that ADS-B is a suitable replacement for visual avoidance but it would be a big step if all drones (industrial/commercial ones, at least) carried it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I think that manned pilots and unmanned pilots both want the same thing and want to access it in a way that doesn't hurt each other. Anger over registration is kind of silly to me because I have the same information about my drone also written on a tag that my dog wears around her neck. She is also something that I would like to have returned in the event of a flyaway.

I have to concede that you're right, I'm focused on the ground when flying a lot more than air traffic. The study materials stress looking out for aircraft more than I was anticipating to be honest. The 400' agl rule makes sense. Maybe I need to become one of those paramotor guys.

edit: I think it would be cool (but probably impossible) to implement a 400' - 700' "fly here if you've got an ADS-B, manned or not" zone. What is a fixed wing pilots minimum allowed altitude? I think I should know that but it hasn't come up in my studies. You're not buzzing treetops like the Hercules - that I've seen.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

American rules:

quote:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

So for fixed-wing airplanes it's 1000 feet over the tallest nearby building in cities, 500 feet above the ground over farms, and as low as you like over the desert as long as you don't get within 500 feet of a person. Helicopters and paramotors can fly essentially as low as they like at any time as long as they follow their own rules for safe operation. If you fly low and crash, though, the FAA will get you on paragraph (a) because you were flying too low to make a safe emergency landing.

Canadian ones are probably quite similar.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Quick question, what considerations are there for FPV operators who aren’t hovering a few hundred feet up and are instead operating almost entirely near or at the level of structures, trees, or other vertical objects?

We don’t really do much loitering in the sky at any altitude that would cause an issue for manned or unmanned aircraft. Also, I can personally attest that it’s much easier to get an FPV quad down when we hear or see a plane than it is to get a DJI or other flying tripod.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am sure that the rules do not have any special provisions for fpv quads

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
If Don Joyce is correct you may be in luck. They are considering implementing some sort of "low risk bvlos" category. It may only be applicable to remote areas so it might be a bigger boon for me than any of you. Unfortunately the only information I can find on it is this one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cn1naMFRq8

Unfortunately the cutoff for providing feedback was in June. So I don't get to e-mail someone and whine about not being able do hyperlapses of clouds. Maybe next year.

edit: more info here: https://www.unmannedairspace.info/e...los-operations/

quote:

Lower-risk BVLOS Framework

250 g to 25 kg BVLOS operations in Isolated Areas, within 1km of an area with a population of more than 25 people per square km; over an area with a population density of more than 25 people per square km; and, in controlled airspace;

Expansion of the Existing VLOS Framework

250 g to 25 kg VLOS in Uncontrolled Airspace above 400 feet AGL;

And here is the pdf of the proposal: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/documents/NPA_2020-012_LOW_RISK_BVLOS.pdf

edit again: This is interesting. It seems that they issued SFOC's to commercial operators.

quote:

Since July 2019, the department has been issuing SFOCs for lower-risk commercial BVLOS
operations with requirements based on the Joint Authorities for Rulemaking on Unmanned Systems (JARUS)
Specific Operational Risk Assessment (SORA) process. To date, Transport Canada has allowed BVLOS operations
in two categories: isolated areas and atypical airspace, and isolated areas and uncontrolled airspace, with scaled
requirements based on the complexity of the BVLOS operation

Maybe it's better to stress the economic benefit to one's activities if they want an SFOC.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 11, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are the chances that ADS-B transceivers drop in price to under $100 in our lifetime

Boats, originally just ocean going freighters over X size (massive corporate owned ones) needed transponders for the marine version of ADS-B, called AIS, and they cost tens of thousands of dollars back in 1983

I bought a marine vhf radio with an AIS receiver for $300 a couple years ago, now you can buy a combo vhf radio + AIS transceiver for $999. If you need a headless unit they are under $200 but you have to provide external gps and compass data

The reason why they're $200 and not $99 is that you can't distribute the units and allow the user to assign a new transceiver callsign, by law they have to modify it callsign at a service center i.e. not user serviceable

Nowadays all commercial boats, tugboats, tour boats, private fishing boats etc are legally required to have a transceiver on board, but about 10% of new personal boats above X price come with them as in the grand scheme of things $300 vs $999 for full functionality isn't a whole lot in the price of a new boat

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What are the chances that ADS-B transceivers drop in price to under $100 in our lifetime

A receiver is already well under $100. It's the transmitter part that is expensive: the high-accuracy certified GPS and the power amplifier stages.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

ADS-B transceivers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, okay. I would say the chances are very low. $100 for a 3W radio transmitter of any type is about as low as you can go, and before we're dead the US dollar will no longer exist and neither will gasoline or plastic so it's a moot point

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
New rules are in effect here (and maybe rest of EU) so as of Jan 1st everyone has to register and pass a test to operate pretty much anything, even a loving tiny whoop because it has an onboard camera. Well the registration and test page doesn't work if you weren't born in the same country, so I've already flown illegally at least half a dozen times :yarr:

The good news it that the test flights showed that my gimbal repair was finally successful, though I did have to disassemble it once again to clean the lens on the camera :doh:. Put it back together with the new cover and it looks like a thousand bucks... except the kit didn't come with the leg covers, so I'm stuck with the original whites:

Has anyone seen where I could get these? I found exactly one place selling them on ebay and they only have red and white ones for $16 each lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For anyone who has used DJI Care, do they actually repair your drone or do they just send you a new/refurb one?

To answer my own question, if this isn’t new, I drat sure can’t tell

It came shrink wrapped in an official box. They clearly have a sku just for dji care that doesn’t include a remote or batteries. I do get a new set of props though :woop: