Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not saying isayama is the worst human being to ever live or anything thats not at all what i mean, im saying i dont get why people try to bend themselves into knots saying the story is objectively one thing or another when if they wanted to make that point that statement from the author is a much better starting point. im not invested in attack on titan one way or another, i dont have an opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cells at Work S2E1 is up on Funi two days ahead of the JP broadcast

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1347232117042933763?s=20

E: As is BLACK

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1347237720469471233?s=20

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 7, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nephthys posted:

A lot of people respect historical figures who it turns out did lovely things. A lot of historical figures did do lovely things that gets glossed over, especially when he was a member of your countries military. That doesn't make people who admire aspects of them or are ignorant of the magnitude of their shittiness secretly fascists.

Saying that we should just ignore that the guy is currently writing a virulently anti-fascist and anti-war manga because of a decade old blog post is a pretty flawed take tbh.

The general in question also had a biopic about him awhile back that was fairly well received iirc so it kinda reminds me about how a lot of Americans of a certain age admire Patton even though there's many reasons not to!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

no seriously why do the specifics of the plot matter

maybe hes changed his opinions in the past decade but if you wanna say the attack on titan guy is a fascist just point to the part where he says he respects a colonizer

I thought he respected the guy for renouncing that part of his life when he became a teacher?

At the same time he was involved in what would've been a war crime if it happened during wartime so...

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 7, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

im not saying isayama is the worst human being to ever live or anything thats not at all what i mean, im saying i dont get why people try to bend themselves into knots saying the story is objectively one thing or another when if they wanted to make that point that statement from the author is a much better starting point. im not invested in attack on titan one way or another, i dont have an opinion

I think it's just becasue aot is popular and some people when they don't like something have to make themselves woke about it somehow

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Srice posted:

The general in question also had a biopic about him awhile back that was fairly well received iirc so it kinda reminds me about how a lot of Americans of a certain age admire Patton even though there's many reasons not to!

As a Brit there's a whole lot of Churchill worship I grew up with and it's only been in the last 4 years or so that I've become aware of how much of a festering cockend he was. If you asked me 10 years ago who the best PM ever was I'd have said him because no-one ever mentions those parts, only the convenient patriotic stuff.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I think it's just becasue aot is popular and some people when they don't like something have to make themselves woke about it somehow

yeah you see that with a lot of stuff tbh, regardless of whether or not there are actually woke reasons to/not to

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Like Fight Club and Starship Troopers, there are lots of nerds who idolize the surface esthetic of "cool dangerous fighters on righteous crusade!!" They're there for the power fantasy, not for themes or satire. Given how the manga is going, I predict these fans will pretend the final season doesn't exist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Urasekai Picnic opening sure has a weird tone compared to the rest of the show. Song and animation are really good at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

The Urasekai Picnic opening sure has a weird tone compared to the rest of the show. Song and animation are really good at least.

The show also oscillates between horror and goofy faces so honestly, the opening fits just fine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

nobody on this forum knows what the russo-japanese war is except the plot of golden kamuy

Lime-Iro Senkitan :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Cells at Work S2E1 is up on Funi two days ahead of the JP broadcast

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1347232117042933763?s=20

Less AoT talk. more about wholesome cells.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Soukou Musume Senki has a hilarious plot twist if didn't read the synopsis beforehand. Also, it's noteworthy for having a magical mecha girl transformation montage that clocks in at almost 3 minutes. It's actually longer than the transformation sequence in Madoka Rebellion.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Didn't know about that show but was amused to find out that it's the mecha musume w/clothing destruction version of LBX, that Level 5 3DS game from a bit ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I’ve found S2 Ep1 to be immensely boring(unlike S1) while black Ep1 was alright. I hope S2 pulls up and gets a bit more interesting

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Big shock, I know, but Laidback Camp S2 was good

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well, Promised Neverland is still tense as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ark anime adaptation looks faithful

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Ark anime adaptation looks faithful

Thought it was Tarkov, for a moment. :holy:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am already falling behind on the new season due to circumstances in the capitol god drat it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Same except I was watching Korone and Miko play A Way Out which was much more important.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

I am already falling behind on the new season due to circumstances in the capitol god drat it

Nobody cares about your mental distress over political events Grouchio, please don't post about it in ADTRW.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crossposting

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Crossposting

That webm of Rin fussing over her pot is quietly the best animation I've seen in any premiere so far this season lol

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Space Flower posted:

yeah, we should ditch the goblin slayer analogy. the slime isekai is GATE for liberals

Blatant Log Horizon erasure.

Grouchio posted:

I can't believe Grouchio was ... I don't know enough about American politics to complete this joke. Mike Pence?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's not even that much to be behind on

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Spider Dark Souls Deprived Run Lunatic Difficulty is starting strong, doing some things differently from the manga, I should probably resume the manga because yeah.

Is anyone going to make a thread?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

there's not even that much to be behind on
I was gonna start Re:Zero and catch up on Yuru Camp S1 wednesday when *kaboom*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's nothing stopping you from starting, there's no reason you have to pay attention to the latest political farce

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I was gonna start Re:Zero and catch up on Yuru Camp S1 wednesday when *kaboom*

[groans echo from the gallery]

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Grouchio is just freaking out because they were at the riot, and they're about to get a visit from the FBI.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

AlternateNu posted:

Grouchio is just freaking out because they were at the riot, and they're about to get a visit from the FBI.

I thought he was freaking out because they may be putting Re:Zero on hiatus again soon

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m A Spider is already looking like what I had hoped the slime show would be before I saw it. Spider-girl will probably end up with some impressive power-ups in the future, but it seems like she’ll have to put in more work to get them than just bumping into an elder dragon five minutes after reincarnating.

I read the first few chapters a couple of years ago, but stopped when the anime was announced because I wanted to enjoy it without being spoiled. Seems like the scene with the rest of the class was either new, or shifted forward because I don’t remember it. I’m not sure how I feel about that because I enjoyed watching the protagonist so much and that scene felt more like a generic isekai (but with a second monster character, which was somewhat interesting).

In any case, it’s an awesome show and I’m already hooked.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Please don't joke about that. I was watching the twitch livestream go south and got panicky, your honor.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

I read the first few chapters a couple of years ago, but stopped when the anime was announced because I wanted to enjoy it without being spoiled. Seems like the scene with the rest of the class was either new, or shifted forward because I don’t remember it. I’m not sure how I feel about that because I enjoyed watching the protagonist so much and that scene felt more like a generic isekai (but with a second monster character, which was somewhat interesting).

The manga just completely omits any scenes with the other characters.
In the novel, those are interludes between the Kumoko chapters. They often explain things about the world that Kumoko just struggled to figure out through trial and error.
There's no way the anime will get far enough to make those characters actually relevant though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakeneko posted:

I’m A Spider is already looking like what I had hoped the slime show would be before I saw it. Spider-girl will probably end up with some impressive power-ups in the future, but it seems like she’ll have to put in more work to get them than just bumping into an elder dragon five minutes after reincarnating.

In any case, it’s an awesome show and I’m already hooked.

Same, Slime and the other isekais where you have these showy invulnerable protagonists who don't actually earn anything just basically hold no engagement for me after starting the Spider Girl manga and likewise stopped reading when the anime was announced. Because Kumoko (no idea if anyone refers to her as such I just thought of it right now) freakin' earns her poo poo.

It's a nice change of pace. No plan, no backup, nothing left to lose and only death awaits around every corner, one of the few isekai's where I feel legitimately at the edge of my seat. I've been waiting for and been hyped for this season for like 2 years now and I'm finally glad its here.

As for the scene with the rest of her class, I like to think (as I definitely didn't get far enough in the manga to know they were a thing beyond what were in retrospect, hints) that we're supposed to juxtapose these other characters having the generic isekai life path as being given a cushy easy street as isekai lives go, to make us even more feel Kumoko's plight as being thrust into a blatantly unfair critical fail of the d20 dice and to highlight the disparity of it.

e: I think the only other isekai I genuinely enjoyed at the same level is JK Haru as she also earns stuff the hard way.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 8, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because Kumoko (no idea if anyone refers to her as such I just thought of it right now) freakin' earns her poo poo.

That's generally what she's called, see also: the ending song (which is amazing).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad Back Arrow is not only channeling GunxSword, but the comedy eps of GunxSword specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Back Arrow is fun, it really does feel like Gurren Lagann plus Gun X Sword were combined (or Kill la Kill and Scryed, if you want another combination).

Which is absolutely what I wanted out of this project, so I'm irrationally happy.