Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HvU doesn't seem too horribly impossible to deal with given all of the wack-rear end Undead-specific counters that Humans get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kith posted:

HvU doesn't seem too horribly impossible to deal with given all of the wack-rear end Undead-specific counters that Humans get.

Again, when has it ever been suggested HvU is hard? It's UvH that's the impossible matchup.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

General Battuta posted:

Again, when has it ever been suggested HvU is hard? It's UvH that's the impossible matchup.
ud vs hu used to be real UD sided to the point where human would do things like make a bunch of towers at their own base & still get crushed by destroyers or constantly threaten to attack the UD main then port out just to keep them away from other parts of the map.

orc vs ud was the free loss for the UD player to the point of being >70% win rate for orc in pro matches. One of the most broken matchups in any RTS for a lot of TFT's life.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 4, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

General Battuta posted:

This post happened:

Elephunk posted:

I thought we were just talking about how HvU is impossible for H

Although I might be missing some sarcasm? I'm not too terribly sure, I apologize if my brain is misfiring.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Side note: I always figured that UD gets the best auras for massive fights. Unholy aura, vampiric aura, even the way that obsidian statues heal make me think you're supposed to have a shitload of units as UD. But the supply system means that you aren't. And if you get a shitload of skeletons, beware the single errant priest with max mana.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No my bad, I am dumb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Khorne posted:

orc vs ud was the free loss for the UD player to the point of being >70% win rate for orc in pro matches. One of the most broken matchups in any RTS for a lot of TFT's life.

Being not a pro maybe a very generous intermediate, OvU felt pretty lopsided orc until you hit like super late game when it swung the other way. But that was my take and IANAP

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs were the best race in warcraft 3 and TFT I reckon. I mean, all their poo poo is so solid. The one arena they fail in, early-game single-target healing, is covered by their shop. Otherwise they have stupid powerful air units, though they don't get a "big" air unit I guess, stupid powerful ground units, and troll berserkers are very powerful, except they get overshadowed by the incredible magic users and demolishers.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Pararoid posted:

From what I remember there were beta versions that included quite significant balance changes, but the competitive community basically didn't want them.

This isn't really true, most feedback was that the competitive community would be happy to see significant balance changes. The issue with making sweeping changes in War3 is the challenge that hero balance presents on top of normal unit interactions. It's really difficult to add new things in ANY competitive RTS that don't have huge cascading effects, but heroes really create a delicate balance situation on top of that.

Balance has changed pretty significantly since the release of W3R (honestly, even before that with the patches released) so I guess it really depends on what people consider "big changes".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

How'd the Necromancer changes work out?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

General Battuta posted:

How'd the Necromancer changes work out?

They tried to resurrect the game and look how that turned out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

They tried to resurrect the game and look how that turned out

Did they though?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol they tried to killed the game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If the blizzard updater updates my wc3 without my permission is there any way I could play some old customs using old patches? There's a couple I'd consider standalone great games on their own or at least the basis for one and I'd love to have them for a reference if I ever get the resources to fool around with that sort of thing. I know reforged screwed up a bunch in that regard

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Not unless you can find a way to downgrade your install, which means I hope you still have your CD and original key. :(
Diablo II is in a similar place.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

eurobattle works well for that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Not unless you can find a way to downgrade your install, which means I hope you still have your CD and original key. :(
Diablo II is in a similar place.

It feels like my game is being held hostage lmao

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If you have multiple drives or partitions, just keep them separate. A buddy of mine did that and managed to keep his original install.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

It feels like my game is being held hostage lmao

100%. loving goddamn Activision.

Except there's no demands except "buy our lovely reskin that takes a 1GB game and makes it 30GB without any improvement in appearance/play."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait, what's this about Diablo 2?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aces High posted:

Wait, what's this about Diablo 2?

Diablo II's B.net install prevents you from modding the game and if you don't have your original discs and key, like I don't (and if you don't know how/where to :filez:, like I don't), you are poo poo out of luck if you want to still enjoy the game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh what the loving gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blizzard so terrible lol. I do like that sc/2 are free so I'll give them the smallest of props. I've been enjoying 2; I don't know why everyone hates it. Controls well

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Blizzard so terrible lol. I do like that sc/2 are free so I'll give them the smallest of props. I've been enjoying 2; I don't know why everyone hates it. Controls well

Lmao, figures, after I spent money on them.

Blizzard is letting the cocaine addicts onboarded from Activision call all the shots, for several years now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Folks don't really hate SC2 in terms of gameplay it's that the story is really bad. Not quite Diablo 3 level of making GBS threads on its predecessor but still garbage.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Folks don't really hate SC2 in terms of gameplay it's that the story is really bad. Not quite Diablo 3 level of making GBS threads on its predecessor but still garbage.

.Yeah, if you can ignore the story the SC2 campaigns are actually really cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd even say that the stories of WoL and LotV (except the epilogue) are dumb fun space opera b-movies.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If you enjoy a good smurf matchup, one of today's Grubby videos is top notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSaLtdazoE

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did Reforged hosed up Malfurions name? I was watching the GDQ run of WC3 and he was just Furion?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

Did Reforged hosed up Malfurions name? I was watching the GDQ run of WC3 and he was just Furion?

In the Original Night Elf Campaign, he was simply labelled as "Furion", rather than Malfurion. I honestly can't remember if Reforged changed that or not, though? It is worth noting though, that much like the Orc campaign editted out any instances of the name "Grom" being spoken, instances where the name "Furion" is spoken aloud were also removed, though this is much harder to notice, and is less frequent.

It wasn't until The Frozen Throne's campaign that he was labelled as Malfurion.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
He was always Malfurion they just almost exclusively called him Furion even in original 3. This just sort of phased itself out for some reason.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

During my first playthrough as a wee lad, I thought he turned evil because "mal" means bad and suddenly this Furion guy was Malfurion so I thought he was suddenly Night Elf Hitler or something - but then he turned out to be kind of a reasonable dude? I was very confused and upset about it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kith posted:

During my first playthrough as a wee lad, I thought he turned evil because "mal" means bad and suddenly this Furion guy was Malfurion so I thought he was suddenly Night Elf Hitler or something - but then he turned out to be kind of a reasonable dude? I was very confused and upset about it.

I had a similar confusion. I assumed because there was a guy named "Mal'Ganis" that "Malfurion" was supposed to be "Mal'Furion" and they had some sort of connected backstory.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They were both in warcraft 3

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Dude's name is Malfurion Stormrage.

Bad angry storm angry.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

And he's a good guy, naturally!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's just what you get when you name everything like it's a powermetal album.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there a still working UMS where you can pick a particular hero, get a max level one and just see how many ghouls you can murder before succumbing

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I recently had a nice game where a guy with a special character name continuously spammed the n-word so thickly the game wasn't visible and everyone had to leave because they couldn't figure out how to mute him

Unsurprisingly I wound up playing him more later in the week. Despite, I assume, everyone reporting him.

Completely unrelated, WC3's twitter hasn't updated since April 2020.

https://twitter.com/Warcraft3/status/1255545020582518785

No ladder, no cooldown for leaving, no AFK detection, apparently no reprisal for team killing or abuse. Dead game. I'm installing W3 Champions as we speak but I wish they would support the regular game even the slightest bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I recently had a nice game where a guy with a special character name continuously spammed the n-word so thickly the game wasn't visible and everyone had to leave because they couldn't figure out how to mute him

Unsurprisingly I wound up playing him more later in the week. Despite, I assume, everyone reporting him.

Completely unrelated, WC3's twitter hasn't updated since April 2020.

https://twitter.com/Warcraft3/status/1255545020582518785

No ladder, no cooldown for leaving, no AFK detection, apparently no reprisal for team killing or abuse. Dead game. I'm installing W3 Champions as we speak but I wish they would support the regular game even the slightest bit

Deeply disappointing. :smith: