Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the Air is supposed to be thinner? But it's also more advanced? I always get the iPad tiers mixed up because I haven't bought one since the Air1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

So the Air is supposed to be thinner? But it's also more advanced? I always get the iPad tiers mixed up because I haven't bought one since the Air1.
I'm not sure what it's "supposed" to be other than an in-between of the regular and Pro.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

The Air has a fused glass display vs the base iPad, not sure how to describe it other than “screen looks way better.”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shaocaholica posted:

The Air is Apple’s offering between the base iPad and the Pro. It has some, but not all, of the stuff in the Pro.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks all. For whatever reason I just never got that marketing which I guess is because I haven't been in the market for an iPad in years. Well just picked up a used 3rd gen Air for a decent price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks all. For whatever reason I just never got that marketing which I guess is because I haven't been in the market for an iPad in years. Well just picked up a used 3rd gen Air for a decent price.

It's not your fault. Apple's messaging on it has been poo poo since they decided that they needed to first go back to "iPad" and drop the Air moniker, then re-introduce the iPad Air as a mid-tier model.

iPad, iPad Mini, iPad Pro

Macbook, Macbook Pro

Apple really needs to clear the Air on this (zing!)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So used iPad Air gen3 64G with pencil and case for $350?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So used iPad Air gen3 64G with pencil and case for $350?

Decent deal. Swappa has them for $360.

If it’s the first gen pencil I’d be worried about the battery in it but it’s probably ok.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

If it’s the first gen pencil I’d be worried about the battery in it but it’s probably ok.

The second gen pencil doesn't work with the iPad Air 3, so it would have to be the first gen pencil, right?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Twerk from Home posted:

The second gen pencil doesn't work with the iPad Air 3, so it would have to be the first gen pencil, right?

yep.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

How does Swappa work? Is it direct sale like craigslist or does swappa take a cut? Forced taxes like eBay?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Swappa's fees are paid by the buyer. You cover shipping though.

https://swappa.com/fees

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh is swappa like only for certain things and not random junk you'll find on eBay?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh is swappa like only for certain things and not random junk you'll find on eBay?

Yeah. It’s specific mobile (ish) hardware only.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They also require S/N or IEMI numbers to be noted and verified and all listings get approved by a moderation team first. I think they even have an escrow service. It's really a good platform if you're wary about getting scammed on eBay.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

The knockoff Pencils will work too I think, there were posted about a little earlier in the thread. They seem to be Logitech Crayon clones in Pencil looking bodies but with (usually) USB-C charging for about $20-30. I think functionally the only thing missing (with the Crayon as well) is pressure sensitivity, so if the usage is for art it won't be as good, but should be fine for other stylus use.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2018 iPad pro 12.9" for 400$ Canadian, does anybody still use one and would you recommend it in 2020? For the price I may get it, because I want it to read graphic novels and such

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pro seems pretty overkill for reading comics

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

It is but I love the 12.9 and reading comics on it is really nice along with all the other stuff.

It’s a solid device and I’d probably take that deal because that’s a good price.

Swappa has them listed for $650+

I mean a regular iPad is like $300. I’d absolutely spend the extra $100 for a pro.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Penpal posted:

I have the opportunity to buy a used 2018 iPad pro 12.9" for 400$ Canadian

That’s a great deal and you can’t lose at that price, as long as there’s nothing wrong with it. Even if you decide you don’t like it you could resell for more than you paid.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

It is overkill for comics, and I should have clarified that I bought a 2018 10.5" pro for myself on a similarly good deal in March, but the pandemic hit and it became my girlfriend's (she works from home and it became invaluable to her) so I was logged in for maybe a couple of days before it was reset and she logged into it. I did buy an apple pencil and notably/procreate in anticipation of doodling and note taking, but nothing ever really came from it.

I would use it to doodle, take notes, consume media, and read graphic novels.

I know it's a pro model, and I bought the similar tiny brother version not too long ago, but I have the mind of a goldfish and I don't know if anything has really changed since the new iPads have come out for this year.

It was a floor model, so it was plugged in 24/7, and the back has a lot of cosmetic bumps and scrapes from what seems to be trying to remove the security that was on it. The screen is pristine though.

I don't believe I can get applecare on it, either, so the only thing I'm worried about is the battery. But I would assume the provisioning on the batteries is pretty good and they should be in decent condition. It was probably stored at 0 or near 0 charge for a couple of months though.

I have played around with it so I know it works.

I kind of want to do it but I just don't know if I'm stepping on a rake or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For $400 I’d still do it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably get it tonight.

I will probably also just be getting the leather cover instead of a case, even though the back looks pretty ugly - It's not as large as I thought while holding it, but an iPad naked is completely different when encased

Anyone having owned the 2nd gen 12.9 with the belly button, what cases did you use? I would assume the design is incredibly sturdy versus the new pro designs, which I heard the first iteration was kinda bendy.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

japtor posted:

The knockoff Pencils will work too I think, there were posted about a little earlier in the thread. They seem to be Logitech Crayon clones in Pencil looking bodies but with (usually) USB-C charging for about $20-30. I think functionally the only thing missing (with the Crayon as well) is pressure sensitivity, so if the usage is for art it won't be as good, but should be fine for other stylus use.

That was me, make sure you get one specifically the iPad, there are appears to be some weird generic capacitive generation pencils that work on iPhones too that suck. But yeah, scribble, drawing, palm rejection, my knock-off pencil works as well as my 1st Gen pencil besides pressure sensitivity, which I had no need for anyways. I think I bought a one of the very popular generic designs but it even has magnetic attachment, although not charging.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I got a pencil in a iPad bundle. How am I supposed to charge this thing realistically? I've got 2 little parts that can easily get lost. What accessory should I buy to charge this thing?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I got a pencil in a iPad bundle. How am I supposed to charge this thing realistically? I've got 2 little parts that can easily get lost. What accessory should I buy to charge this thing?

don't you just plug it into the ipad

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Plug into iPad

or

Use the female-to-female adapter to plug into a lightning cable.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211019

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 7, 2021

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Shaocaholica posted:

To hold the cap at least, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHI1JI0

Works pretty well!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying an Apple Pencil 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying an Apple Pencil 2
If their iPad uses a Pencil 1, it cannot use a Pencil 2, so they are not avoiding buying one since it would be useless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

It is overkill for comics, and I should have clarified that I bought a 2018 10.5" pro for myself on a similarly good deal in March, but the pandemic hit and it became my girlfriend's (she works from home and it became invaluable to her) so I was logged in for maybe a couple of days before it was reset and she logged into it. I did buy an apple pencil and notably/procreate in anticipation of doodling and note taking, but nothing ever really came from it.

I would use it to doodle, take notes, consume media, and read graphic novels.

I know it's a pro model, and I bought the similar tiny brother version not too long ago, but I have the mind of a goldfish and I don't know if anything has really changed since the new iPads have come out for this year.

It was a floor model, so it was plugged in 24/7, and the back has a lot of cosmetic bumps and scrapes from what seems to be trying to remove the security that was on it. The screen is pristine though.

I don't believe I can get applecare on it, either, so the only thing I'm worried about is the battery. But I would assume the provisioning on the batteries is pretty good and they should be in decent condition. It was probably stored at 0 or near 0 charge for a couple of months though.

I have played around with it so I know it works.

I kind of want to do it but I just don't know if I'm stepping on a rake or not.

If you can use it before you buy, check the battery health. Or see if the seller can boot it up and screenshot the battery condition in Settings. If not, it's still probably okay. Get a 18w PD charger and an USB-C to Lightning cable to fast charge and you'll never be without juice.

And yeah, it's overkill for graphic novels and comics, but if you want nearly 13 inches of screen real estate it's the only option you got.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Endless Mike posted:

If their iPad uses a Pencil 1, it cannot use a Pencil 2, so they are not avoiding buying one since it would be useless.

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying a new iPad Pro.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Twerk from Home posted:

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying a new iPad Pro.

But an iPad Air. /thread

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Have we heard anything about timings for possible refreshes this year? My 1st gen pro is starting to feel a bit tired but I’m in no rush to upgrade.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dugong posted:

Have we heard anything about timings for possible refreshes this year? My 1st gen pro is starting to feel a bit tired but I’m in no rush to upgrade.

I believe the guy who says the AirTags will be out first quarter for the past two years says the 12.9 mini-LED Pro will be out first quarter this year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying a new iPad Pro or an iPad Air

Fixed for you

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dugong posted:

Looks like March.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/07/new-ipad-pro-march-launch/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah I’m in.

My iPad Pro is probably my second most used electronic device.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is it possible to switch which microphone is being used? I have some nice Bluetooth headphones I use but they have a built in microphone that’s kinda poo poo. When I use discord instead of using the nicer mics in the iPad Pro it uses the poo poo headphone mic and I’d like to use the headphones for sound but the internal iPad mic if possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is it possible to switch which microphone is being used? I have some nice Bluetooth headphones I use but they have a built in microphone that’s kinda poo poo. When I use discord instead of using the nicer mics in the iPad Pro it uses the poo poo headphone mic and I’d like to use the headphones for sound but the internal iPad mic if possible

That would be up to the discord app to let you change it. The PC version of discord obviously has a lot more options but have you messed with any of these settings? Some of them work pretty good.