Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

just cumming spiderwebs everywhere, literal spiderwebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Midjack posted:

Seriously, if for no other reason then I’m now having to actively avoid picturing McConnell’s o-face. And now so are you, reader of the future.

no No NO!

EBB posted:

Why?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

EBB posted:

I appreciate this reference

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The most important thing I've ever learned from a tom clancy novel inspiring me to check youtube is that turtles get real loud and love the donkey punch

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Beria was literally a serial killer so that's hard to top on a personal immorality level.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

As Nero Danced posted:

I wonder what will happen if he is barred from from holding office in the future, but he runs in 2024 anyways.

Assuming the big macs haven't done their patriotic duty first.

I don't think you can be barred from holding office, if you are elected it is what it is - similar to security clearances. He may be barred from voting or owning a gun, but could still be elected.

No idea what happens if you're elected to a federal position while in a state prison, courts probably haven't tested that one.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't think you can be barred from holding office, if you are elected it is what it is - similar to security clearances. He may be barred from voting or owning a gun, but could still be elected.

No idea what happens if you're elected to a federal position while in a state prison, courts probably haven't tested that one.
If you are impeached, one of the punishments can be disqualification from office (Article I, Section 3). So it would be treated the same as any other disqualified person running, they wouldn't be permitted on the ballot.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 7, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Article I section 3:

Judgement in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States

Ardlen posted:

If you are impeached, one of the punishments can be disqualification from office. So it would be treated the same as any other disqualified person running, they wouldn't be permitted on the ballot.

What about a write-in campaign? The votes would probably just be tossed. I really don't know, we've never had this kinda poo poo happen

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Trump Announced He Withdrew The Nomination Of Chad Wolf To Run DHS After He'd Criticized The Capitol Riot

quote:

White House officials said the withdrawal, taking place two weeks before the end of Trump's term, was not connected to Wolf's statement.

On one hand, yeah loving right.
On the other hand, :lmao: get hosed Chad Wolf.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/JimmyJazz1968/status/1347282633089118208?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrsKhandiCoated/status/1347260573252280326?s=20

lmao.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Midjack posted:

Seriously, if for no other reason then I’m now having to actively avoid picturing McConnell’s o-face. And now so are you, reader of the future.

Elaine, when the wattles fell

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Elaine, when the wattles fell

This is a crime against mental health.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

As Nero Danced posted:

Article I section 3:

Judgement in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States

Gotcha, impeachment just doesn't seem realistic in two weeks.

I do wonder though how a run for the presidency would look if he was indicted for federal crimes after leaving office.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

fknlo posted:

I just had to look at a bunch of stuff signed by her on an ELMS course for my new management job. That's about the extent of it. I assume her picture is up in the part of the building I'm never in as well?

I assume if you work at a federal office, I assume its the typical Dear Leader, Pence, and offset photo of Chao on whatever your equivalent of a quarterdeck is. Locally it was just governor, state secretary and deputy secretary if I recall correctly.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

I picture that gif of the snapping turtle grabbing the pigeon

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ardlen posted:

If you are impeached, one of the punishments can be disqualification from office (Article I, Section 3). So it would be treated the same as any other disqualified person running, they wouldn't be permitted on the ballot.

Do they have to be convicted or just impeached?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Senate has to convict for it, otherwise he might have been blocked out of this past election.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

DOJ says Boeing is going to pay them a couple bil's for the criminal conspiracy that ended in the 737 MAX murders

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1347289725858623489?s=19

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Midjack posted:

gently caress you so much

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Can I peg you, @SethRogan coming in with some hot tweets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

:flaccid:

brains
May 12, 2004

just wanted to bring back up this incredible hot take with this:

https://twitter.com/bumbera_steven/status/1347270969988173825?s=20

brains
May 12, 2004

and speaking of incredible takes,
https://twitter.com/ReporterCioffi/status/1347231440669446146?s=20
the replies are, predictably, completely stuffed to the gills of intelligence suggesting there would be an attack of the capitol.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1347307892056186881?s=19

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

About miss Elizabeth:

Shaddak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 7, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/cirincione/status/1347304849914929158?s=21

Remember if it’s a lawful order,it doesn’t matter if he’s insane, and if you do care...your driving a truck for the rest your life.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 7, 2021

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

brains posted:

just wanted to bring back up this incredible hot take with this:

https://twitter.com/bumbera_steven/status/1347270969988173825?s=20

Those worthless pieces of human loving garbage

I saw a clip of what looked like a capitol pd supervisor wind up and crack a chud in the mouth, throw his hat back to keep it safe, and then shape and go some more before the camera cut off.

And those loving turds and like "yeah! my only charge is to protect congress, but instead let's go murder them all and saw their heads off like you used to see on al jazeera! But don't touch hawley and cruz, they are our buddies!"

Traitors.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I rarely agree with police unions, but other than the rando chudfuck cops on the front line, I think this is what basically happened.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1347304240268660737

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1347311706196873218

Capitol Police leadership decided to take a hands-off, they won't do anything, they're just venting online approach.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
oh its suddenly hands off when its a bunch of republicans trying to change a vote? thats loving bullshit and you know it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sedition Act Bitches

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN29C2X1

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I wonder how close the protestors got to the nuclear briefcase

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hot Karl Marx posted:

oh its suddenly hands off when its a bunch of republicans trying to change a vote? thats loving bullshit and you know it

I mostly agree with you(especially in light of the video of the officer waving people in saying this way) but they really couldn't have resisted if leadership hadn't unlocked the armory and approved enough people to do something.

Like, that story is plausible enough to shelter the individual cops, hopefully more than just the 3 on top are axed tho.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sab!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

RFC2324 posted:

I mostly agree with you(especially in light of the video of the officer waving people in saying this way) but they really couldn't have resisted if leadership hadn't unlocked the armory and approved enough people to do something.

Like, that story is plausible enough to shelter the individual cops, hopefully more than just the 3 on top are axed tho.

Yeah it's honestly irrelevant how much the individual cops agreed with the rioters (And doubtless there are countless among them). What matters is that their leadership failed to anything to account for the possibility things might get ugly—which ultimately put both their own officers and the people they were sworn to protect in terrible danger.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Hekk posted:

Can I peg you, @SethRogan coming in with some hot tweets.

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1347278266462216193?s=20

And I think some of the judges are finally getting tired of this poo poo

https://twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/1347281430984929284?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Terrible and late double post, but a comparison that just occurred to me is Eisenhower's use of the Arkansas National Guard and the 101st Airborne in protecting the Little Rock Nine. There were doubtlessly countless segregationists among them, but that didn't matter because they were deployed in enough force to prevent violence and were disciplined enough to follow orders. If CPD leadership does their job and takes the threat seriously, there's enough men and equipment in place to potentially deter a standoff from occurring at all, and it wouldn't matter how many officers are secretly fascists themselves (though this is obviously also a major issue). Instead, they got loving rolled and were spectacularly lucky that the rioters weren't even slightly more organized or determined than they were.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

RFC2324 posted:

My general thought is that Capitol Police aren't very Online, so they had no idea that yep, the chudfucks really are going to show up, and they really are going to charge the building, and they really are going to have weapons. Police leadership was possibly sympathetic to the bullshit viewpoint that chuds "back the blue" and wouldn't do anything, so there was no need to have the resources on standby. It would just be a typical DC protest, relatively self-policing, without a whole lot of need for police. A lot like how there are always huge protests outside the Supreme Court, but the crowd never outright rushes the Supreme Court.

So then add to that the sympathetic individual cops that were either sitting around doing nothing, or actively waiving people in, or impotently manning barricades that were just shoved away. By that point, the crowd was at the Capitol steps, containment was completely lost, and the police went "uh oops they're rushing the place now what". That lead to all the cops going into crisis "get VIPs locked down and the gently caress out", leaving even fewer cops to deal with the rush.

So I'm guessing I'm saying like 90% leadership's fault for not realizing the threat was obvious weeks ago, then 10% the line-officers for being sympathetic. During the mop-up, there was even a cop saying "sure, now you like us" to a journalist. I just think the original sin was leadership not thinking the threat was real.

Basically, what ace said above.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It was on purpose, all the other protests they go up against are organized online, why is this one suddenly different? It wasn't that they didn't think it was a serious threat, its more they didn't care.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It would just be a typical DC protest, relatively self-policing, without a whole lot of need for police. A lot like how there are always huge protests outside the Supreme Court, but the crowd never outright rushes the Supreme Court.

This probably isn’t going to be true anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It was on purpose, all the other protests they go up against are organized online, why is this one suddenly different? It wasn't that they didn't think it was a serious threat, its more they didn't care.

My wife pointed out to me yesterday that this is obvious in light of America being a white supremacist nation. White people(and police) don't see other white people as threats, even against available evidence. Even when an armed mob of them are coming down the street, they aren't thinking they are rioters or terrorists, just protestors. Hence the coverage yesterday taking forever to label them anything other than protestors.