Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Gone now. What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Think it was this one

https://twitter.com/OnyoTayto/status/1346971191014281216?s=20

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Gone now. What was it?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Peace and love peace and LOVE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Elaijuh/status/1347205394393927697

well that's quite the "oops i realized i was helping a coup" note

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://mobile.twitter.com/GoldenbergLaw/status/1347213290255093762

Lmao these loving lawyers. I hate this industry.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
It is an ethical violation, but if I was pissed enough I would probably do the same.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Future wannabe despots might be disinclined to solicit legal services based on this violation!!!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Is it still an ethical violation if the client has made their (alleged) criminal conduct very public?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Only if the client said, I’m doing this crime and yes it’s crime.

Iirc you can only talk about matters of public record, and sometimes not even then.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When you're caught between facing the grievance committee and suborning sedition, I'll take the panel, thanks.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

It is an ethical violation, but if I was pissed enough I would probably do the same.

I don’t think it’s an ethical violation in PA, actually - their rules are a bit more permissive than the model rules in this context.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone else work in compliance. Started working it on a contract basis a couple of months ago, and its weirdly easy and stress-free?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

When you're caught between facing the grievance committee and suborning sedition, I'll take the panel, thanks.

Ya pretty much.

He'll also get more cred withdrawing and grandstanding than he would quietly withdrawing. That said, I put him up there with the admin members resigning now. Not exactly a profile in courage 2 weeks before it's finally over.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don’t think he had to choose sunburn sedition or eat a bar complaint. He could have withdrawn without incurring the possible violation.

Bc I agree. No points for the last minute My Bad.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/Elaijuh/status/1347205394393927697

well that's quite the "oops i realized i was helping a coup" note

lmao what a bitchmade move. regardless of whether it's permissible under the rules, way to throw your lovely client under the bus so you save face

e:

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t think he had to choose sunburn sedition or eat a bar complaint. He could have withdrawn without incurring the possible violation.

Bc I agree. No points for the last minute My Bad.

yea

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Shageletic posted:

Anyone else work in compliance. Started working it on a contract basis a couple of months ago, and its weirdly easy and stress-free?

I'm in financial crimes compliance for a major financial firm. It's the bees knees.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm in financial crimes compliance for a major financial firm. It's the bees knees.

"attn all employees: do not do crimes"

*ticks the box labeled "make paper trail we told them not to commit crimes", pours another glass of whiskey*

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

evilweasel posted:

*ticks the box labeled "make paper trail we told them not to commit crimes", pours another glass of whiskey*

christ I wish this was my job. It's more client-side KYC stuff that makes me want to drink more than being a lawyer ever did

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Lol this is exactly what happened with the Epstein Deutsche Bank stuff. AML officers being like this is wrong welp im protected

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Before I foolishly went to law school I did this for a bank. Granted this was in like 2003 and the bank had gotten their hand slapped for some light money laundering before I was hired, so they were taking it a little more seriously. No whiskey.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Question about recent events.

1. It is a felony to desecrate a capitol monument
2. A police officer was killed during the action. I assume this will result in a charge of murder, but who knows.
3. In the US, if you are involved in a felony that results in a death, you can be charged with that death. For example robbers have been charged with murder when their partners in crime were killed by police.

Does this mean that anyone charged with felony trespassing is on the hook for the death as well?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think the cop had a stroke or something.

E: nvm I’m kinda wrong RE how the cop died

^ what we call “felony murder” doesn’t just mean a murder committed at the same time as any felony. Pretty sure it has to be the type of crime that a reasonable person would recognize a death would likely result from.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 8, 2021

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m not sure what the state of the felony murder rule is for federal crimes, but it wouldn’t implicate the whole mob. Only direct accomplices and aiders/abetters.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Question about recent events.

1. It is a felony to desecrate a capitol monument
2. A police officer was killed during the action. I assume this will result in a charge of murder, but who knows.
3. In the US, if you are involved in a felony that results in a death, you can be charged with that death. For example robbers have been charged with murder when their partners in crime were killed by police.

Does this mean that anyone charged with felony trespassing is on the hook for the death as well?

18 USC 1111
"committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage [applies to military property], aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Before the law sits a gatekeeper. To this gatekeeper comes a man from the country who asks to gain entry into the law. But the gatekeeper says that he cannot grant him entry at the moment. The man thinks about it and then asks if he will be allowed to come in later on. “It is possible,” says the gatekeeper, “but not now.” At the moment the gate to the law stands open, as always, and the gatekeeper walks to the side, so the man bends over in order to see through the gate into the inside. When the gatekeeper notices that, he laughs and says: “If it tempts you so much, try it in spite of my prohibition. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the most lowly gatekeeper. But from room to room stand gatekeepers, each more powerful than the other. I can’t endure even one glimpse of the third.” The man from the country has not expected such difficulties: the law should always be accessible for everyone, he thinks, but as he now looks more closely at the gatekeeper in his fur coat, at his large pointed nose and his long, thin, black Tartar’s beard, he decides that it would be better to wait until he gets permission to go inside. The gatekeeper gives him a stool and allows him to sit down at the side in front of the gate. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be let in, and he wears the gatekeeper out with his requests. The gatekeeper often interrogates him briefly, questioning him about his homeland and many other things, but they are indifferent questions, the kind great men put, and at the end he always tells him once more that he cannot let him inside yet. The man, who has equipped himself with many things for his journey, spends everything, no matter how valuable, to win over the gatekeeper. The latter takes it all but, as he does so, says, “I am taking this only so that you do not think you have failed to do anything.” During the many years the man observes the gatekeeper almost continuously. He forgets the other gatekeepers, and this one seems to him the only obstacle for entry into the law. He curses the unlucky circumstance, in the first years thoughtlessly and out loud, later, as he grows old, he still mumbles to himself. He becomes childish and, since in the long years studying the gatekeeper he has come to know the fleas in his fur collar, he even asks the fleas to help him persuade the gatekeeper. Finally his eyesight grows weak, and he does not know whether things are really darker around him or whether his eyes are merely deceiving him. But he recognizes now in the darkness an illumination which breaks inextinguishably out of the gateway to the law. Now he no longer has much time to live. Before his death he gathers in his head all his experiences of the entire time up into one question which he has not yet put to the gatekeeper. He waves to him, since he can no longer lift up his stiffening body. The gatekeeper has to bend way down to him, for the great difference has changed things to the disadvantage of the man. “What do you still want to know, then?” asks the gatekeeper. “You are insatiable.” “Everyone strives after the law,” says the man, “so how is it that in these many years no one informed me that this gold-fringed United States flag designates this as an Admiralty court which cannot hear cases outside of maritime law?”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
:911:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

To be fair, that’s the first point heading on most Complaints I file.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Gotta get the format right so they have to scroll to the next page before you give them the sizzle

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is that the "Gondor has no King" lolsuit?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Always good when you have to file multiple explanatory pleadings before even serving your complaint

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I might be confusing my lunatic fillings, but I think that's the one where they also point out no one has responded yet

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

POST POST POST in legal form

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Has the discord basically murdered this thread?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's essentially what happened to the med school/residency threads. I mean, that and a particularly virulent strain of syphilis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Murder implies some form of homicidal intent. It's closer to negligent threadslaughter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean, you can always :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Discord murdered the medical threads too.