Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

AndrewP posted:

I bought the Tama Dyna Sync direct drive. Replacing my DW 3000.

I am not used to DDs and it's very light, which I expected. Able to rip off doubles super easily. I reeeally like the long footboard, which I hadn't even though about.

Wow, just looked it up. Looks incredible!

I am loving my VAD 306. The melodics program has been great to break some rust off as well and work on my timing.

Most importantly I can play while my toddler is asleep with no problem. I am just thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Duke Chin posted:

I bought a piece of carpet for my old truck (it had a booted canopy) that doubled as my drum rug if needed if the venue didn't have anything back before we van'n'trailer'd up. Actually wait I was broke as hell back then so it was most likely a chunk from new carpet scraps from a shop as well.

god drat that was a long time ago.

Don't think I actually paid for my first one, either - I think it was a freebie from someone moving or something. It was baby blue shag. It was a good carpet. :911:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Before:

After:

I played the hell out of that lovely $300 Nitro for 5 years and it only started having some problems towards the end, and after playing this thing for 5 minutes I couldn't be happier

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nice! Quite an upgrade.

Drum-Tec has an kit pack upgrade that sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2njf8caeY

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kumba posted:

Before:

Loving all those BTBAM album covers

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

I bought the Tama Dyna Sync direct drive. Replacing my DW 3000.

I am not used to DDs and it's very light, which I expected. Able to rip off doubles super easily. I reeeally like the long footboard, which I hadn't even though about.

I've been meaning to check those out for a while now, and I was actually wondering if those had a longboard as I've been using speed cobras for a good while now (got the 1st gen of those - still not a fan of Tama's cobra-line of cams) and sure enough:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I love it. It kinda feels like a cheater pedal but whatever, work smarter not harder. I think it's given me a bad habit where I do way too many double strokes when I don't really need them, but it's just so eeeeasy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm getting older: I shall take all the help I can get. I go back and try to play old thrash or poo poo punk songs from when I was way younger and A: I'm out of show-shape for sure but even still B: whooo boy I'm slowing down in my mid-40's lol

Technology and physics plz save me :v:

Now I just need to find someone who carries it around here and will let me trying it out during plague times. I already scoured craigslist to see if someone was selling one in the area but nope. Anyone wanna buy some of my old cymbals to help finance some new pedals? :D

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of pedals, any opinions on grip or traction preferences? I've taken to trying to use a sliding technique for quick doubles (slide my foot back for the first note, then forward again to catch the rebound for the second note), but a combination of wearing grippy hiking boots as well as there being little rubber dots on my pedal were making it feel weird. The dots are removable, which I did, but now there are just circular holes cut into the top of the board. I also brought an old pair of smooth-soled dress shoes to my studio this afternoon and played with one on my right foot. It felt OK, maybe a little easier, I'll have to practice more to be able to say for sure. I'm intrigued by that Dyno pedal a few posts up that's almost totally smooth brushed metal :slick:

In other news, I get this joke, and don't even necessarily disagree with it, but still. Oof.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
got the smooth-face ol speed cobra and ~15 year old yamaha flying dragons (lol I had to look it up: i literally had no idea that's what they were called - I got em for free in like 2005 for some session work :shrug:) and I usually either play in socks or like onitsuka tiger sneakers soooo, kiiiiinda slippy? There's no way on earth i'd play in boots unless I was like... in the snow or something hah

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lars is not a particularly great drummer but he's a very WEIRD drummer, which I appreciate. The drums are loving heavy and he has no sense of dynamics except ƒƒƒ, he plays fills at weird times, he's kind of just a weird dude. That's just core to the Metallica sound to me. But I agree he can't play the old poo poo anymore.

Relatedly, here's Dave Lombardo sitting in for Lars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8tbNptFPMU

The great thing about this is that Dave is right on the money, of course, while the rest of the band occasionally fucks up the timing probably because they're not used to someone actually nailing the drum part (check 2:43 for a laugh).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

I bought the Tama Dyna Sync direct drive.

lol I'm a big dumb copy cat and did the same

he's got a brother now!

...yeah I'm gonna be selling off some gear to subsidize that silly purchase but holy heck pulling the "cam" all the way back = double strokes and 16th notes all day every day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome. It’s a really good pedal. I considered the Speed Cobras but decided if I was gonna make a change I wanted it to be a big one. Also, I don’t need the extra pedal since my current double pedal has remained unattached for 99% of its life.

I need to try adjusting the cam and pedal height, mine is basically stock right now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
So far I'm enjoying full-rearward/not-extended cam with the pedals at full-up and everything else stock. Might, for once in my life, actually LOOSEN the spring tension. They're absolutely cranked on my speedcobras and still feel like I needed more as they never reset fast enough for my liking. Haven't messed with the cobra coil underneath at all as that's always felt a lil gimmicky with a chain drive, but I guess I could make a case as to them being a little more useful on a direct drive

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are there any coordination exercises I can do away from a kit? I kind of can't do the kick in time with my hands and not gently caress it up.

I'm rarely at a drum set but I ran into that and thought "hey I should probably like, finish developing my motor skills before my brain totally hardens"

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My teacher is giving me a parradiddle but double time on hands

r-l-r-r-l-r-l-l-r-l-r-r-l-l

r---l---r---r---l---r--l---l
its hard

r = right

l = left

You can do this with hands and feet

(That looks a little better, almost). There are 2 beats on hands per beat on foot

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 23, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

landgrabber posted:

are there any coordination exercises I can do away from a kit? I kind of can't do the kick in time with my hands and not gently caress it up.

I'm rarely at a drum set but I ran into that and thought "hey I should probably like, finish developing my motor skills before my brain totally hardens"

literally every coordination exercise ever works amazingly away from the kit. serendipitously, Shawn Crowder dropped a vid on this under an hour ago

I’d rec New Breed by Gary Chester for bass drum/hands coordination in a pop/rock/etc context (link in the OP), I’ve been working outta it for a decade now and I can’t praise it highly enough

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

code:
r-l-r-r-l-r-l-l-r-l-r-r-l-r-l

r---l---r---r---l---r---l---l
Using bbcode [ code ] makes everything monospace so it lines up real nice.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Can we talk about what kinds of percussion we use? I'm looking at getting a cajon and some accessories to broaden my available sounds. I see lots of cool things like drum tortillas and Big Fat Snare Drum, as well as lots of metallic "trashy" additions and stacks.

If we're also allowed to talk about things beyond conventional drums, I've finally got my Sunhous Sensory kit built up. I've been following a lot of the stuff Mason Self is doing and am hoping to get a feel for the software soon.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't have much these days. I tried hinting to my wife to get me a tabla for Christmas but I think she forgot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This will forever be my first thought whenever anyone mentions a cajon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Was lusting over Octabans in discord last night. Sooooo freakin expensive, tho.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

This will forever be my first thought whenever anyone mentions a cajon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

Ok this owns

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

ymmv but my canon has p much been a fancy chair the entire time i’ve had it. the real mainstays are shakers, tambourines, a triangle, woodblock, and occasionally guïro, guïra, and bodhrán

tabla are sick, picked a pair up cheap off craigslist, even got a lesson once, but haven’t touched them since cuz they’re kinda intimidating :ohdear:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think I had anything 'extra' on my kit, but I guess I do have a tambourine mounted to an extra bass pedal so I can occasionally accent stuff with my left foot, and in a few songs I've mounted it on my HH rod if it makes more sense to play it that way. Other stuff like MOAR COWBELL can be neat but it doesn't come up as often in 'regular' songs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwoPSbglU-/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Took me a second until I noticed whose Insta that was. I was never a big Rush fan, even of Pert's drumming (Moving Pictures is p.cool tho), but for those 3 guys to be together for so long I'm sure that was like losing actual family :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Holy poo poo has it already been (now over) a year???

Yeeeeeeeesh

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

A month in and my Dyna Sync pedal is still amazing. It can do anything. Super fast doubles, plenty of power, this thing is just perfect. I recommend it for anyone looking at new kick pedals.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Got myself a Roland SPD SX last week for a deal. It's definitely different from anything I've played, but I did find myself playing basic beats with it with childish joy in that rare way. Looking forward to exploring what all I can do with it.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

AndrewP posted:

A month in and my Dyna Sync pedal is still amazing. It can do anything. Super fast doubles, plenty of power, this thing is just perfect. I recommend it for anyone looking at new kick pedals.

I actually am kinda considering it since my speed king is getting pretty squeaky, but drat that's some money. I was thinking my big gear purchase for the year was gonna be the Istanbul clap stack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HMM same. I've got a decent set of double pedals (Demon Drive, I think? e: actually I think they're RedLines, one level below DD), but I haven't hooked the 2nd pedal up in over a year. I'm not really good enough to be loving around with double bass yet anyway, I think I'd be better off focusing down on building a decent right leg/foot before auditioning for my local Meshuggah cover band... Looks like single pedal is around $350 new. I haven't bought any other drum stuff lately, I can make this work :retrogames:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 27, 2021

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Try before you buy (if you can - I had to make an appointment with the local music store) as some people don't vibe with direct drive and I totally can get why. It's ever so slightly weird but fun. I can do doubles and triples all day with my right foot again. :toot: and it's actually helped me to lower my heel for better economy of motion on fast poo poo

Also the new throne I got for Xmas really pampers my buttular region :v:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got an unexpected windfall selling off some 5 year old GPUs, so decided to splurge on a Dyna-Sync single pedal. I've never really played on anything other than my 15 year old Pearl P120 pedal, and it feels like I've unlocked a whole new level to my playing now. Very glad for the thread rec!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Glad to hear, that's what I got. I've added way too many unnecessary double strokes to my jams now because I just can't resist.

Also helping me develop some of those cool linear triplet fills with a lot of double kick strokes that everyone on Youtube loves to play.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

anyone use remote hi hat stands and have preference on them? I'm looking at the DW and the Pearl ones cuz brand name, but idk anything about remote hat stands in the first place

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

anyone use remote hi hat stands and have preference on them? I'm looking at the DW and the Pearl ones cuz brand name, but idk anything about remote hat stands in the first place

Yeah I'd probably just stick with DW on something like that.

unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxECEXhAmI

This is a good video that has kind of been the foundation for my fills these days. I've never really had any go-to licks for fills and I've found that there's a lot you can do with this, especially if you play them as triplets.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Hello, I have some questions about my set up.

I am very new to percussions, and have not been playing music for years. As a hobby, I got an electronic kit a couple months back and really got into it. It was pretty clear that I wanted to take it further, and do the real deal. Covid is scary so instead of going to a store, I ordered a Pearl Roadshow online.

A lot of this can probably be explained by starting on an electronic kit and being new in general, but it seems like the snare and hi hat are several order of magnitude louder than everything else. I wouldn’t say it is even loud in a good way. Are there some common newbie mistakes that may account for this? I had tried tuning the snare again and ended up in essentially the same place. Drum mutes allow me to still get practice in, but they drown out the rest of the kit.

The other concern is that the tom placement seems rather high. I stand at six foot tall, and have the throne up about as high as it can go. Getting a clean strike on the toms require really lifting the elbow up. My understanding is that angling the toms inward is not the proper solution, and this may just be a thing that takes getting used to.

I watched a few setup vids on on vic firth and pearl, but maybe someone has some suggestions here. I am mostly basing this on what I see from learning / performance videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Bored Online posted:

Hello, I have some questions about my set up.

I am very new to percussions, and have not been playing music for years. As a hobby, I got an electronic kit a couple months back and really got into it. It was pretty clear that I wanted to take it further, and do the real deal. Covid is scary so instead of going to a store, I ordered a Pearl Roadshow online.

A lot of this can probably be explained by starting on an electronic kit and being new in general, but it seems like the snare and hi hat are several order of magnitude louder than everything else. I wouldn’t say it is even loud in a good way. Are there some common newbie mistakes that may account for this? I had tried tuning the snare again and ended up in essentially the same place. Drum mutes allow me to still get practice in, but they drown out the rest of the kit.

The other concern is that the tom placement seems rather high. I stand at six foot tall, and have the throne up about as high as it can go. Getting a clean strike on the toms require really lifting the elbow up. My understanding is that angling the toms inward is not the proper solution, and this may just be a thing that takes getting used to.

I watched a few setup vids on on vic firth and pearl, but maybe someone has some suggestions here. I am mostly basing this on what I see from learning / performance videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stock heads have a lot to do with this, especially when it comes to snares. Watch some snare tuning vids and don't be afraid to dampen the head with some tape if you're still struggling. Gels or just folding over some duct tape to make a pad and then taping it to the snare head away from the center will work. As far as the head positioning goes, it's really all about how comfortable you feel. I've sat on other drummer's kits where the toms were almost completely level and others where it they were completely facing me. Answer is somewhere in between. It's ok to have them angled a bit. A 5-piece set up with toms mounted to a bass drum mount will be harder to really get them where you want them. I've been on a 1up 1down config for a long time and I always like mounting my rack tom on a stand separate from the bass drum so I can get better control over placement.

I'm 6'5" so I tend to like my stool higher but you'll still want to be close to having the top of your leg parallel with the floor. Again, all about comfort. Honestly, replacing the heads is the first thing to improve the sound of a kit. At least the top heads. I've found Evans G2s to be easy to tune and they give a nice balance of tone and sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Real drums are loud. Like incredibly loud. Get some ear protection for your practice, and realize that it sounds even louder for everyone else. This is why I play edrums.

Don't neglect the resonant (bottom) heads, it can really make a difference on how the drums sound. I was never satisfied growing up with how my drums sounded and I realize now I didn't pay much attention to the resonant head.

You can definitely tilt your toms some. Completely flat toms look cool but aren't very practical. A six foot drummer with a very popular Pearl kit... there shouldn't be any hardware issues preventing you from playing comfortably. You should post a pick to show what you're working with.