Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Navy got Tom Cruise, the Air Force got *Jason Gedrick*, and the Coast Guard got The Postman and Replacement Charlie Sheen.

Don't forget Steve Carrell :jebstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Space Force is more realistic than Iron Eagle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

Space Force is more realistic than Iron Eagle.

"ATTACK THEM THROUGH THE FLAMES!" :mad:

"...can't we, y'know, just go *around* the flames?" :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So, my command has been working with them during the mission they've been supporting for the last few weeks, and everything surrounding the NIMCSG deployment is a complete clusterfuck caused directly by Miller + Trump. Like, I can't go into detail, but pretty much every decision regarding the NIM over the last 3 months has been soundly opposed by the everyone below the SECDEF level.

Also, saw this on social media today :v:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/simonharley/status/1346766610804174849?s=20

I hope that when naval laser weapons aren't just on the Ponce that we bring back massive fuckoff battleships with lasers and start our path to Space Battleship Yamato

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nick Soapdish posted:

I hope that when naval laser weapons aren't just on the Ponce that we bring back massive fuckoff battleships with lasers and start our path to Space Battleship Yamato

They've already installed the ODIN system on the Portland and the Dewey. (It's only a counter-ISR dazzler system, though. The actual HELIOS and HELCAP systems are still in development hell.)

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Just found out that one of the sailors I worked with on the Fitz passed away today due to cancer.

He'd made Chief last year and we were all super excited for him. He was a drat good man.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
gently caress cancer

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The Valley Stared posted:

Just found out that one of the sailors I worked with on the Fitz passed away today due to cancer.

He'd made Chief last year and we were all super excited for him. He was a drat good man.

gently caress, that sucks. Sorry for your loss.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sorry for your loss.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What the gently caress...

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks everyone. I'm doing alright, but it's still a bit surreal that he's gone. I haven't seen any information on a virtual service or something like that, but it's likely that his family is processing everything and needs that time first.

gently caress cancer. Especially when it takes someone who's still in the prime of their life.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:(

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gently caress cancer, sorry for your loss

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Thanks everyone. I'm doing alright, but it's still a bit surreal that he's gone. I haven't seen any information on a virtual service or something like that, but it's likely that his family is processing everything and needs that time first.

gently caress cancer. Especially when it takes someone who's still in the prime of their life.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's heartbreaking.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sorry to hear about your loss, TVS. Cancer is a fucker

Edit: Here's some good stuff to enjoy. A modern take would be Navy ships waiting for MSC resupply to keep at sea

https://twitter.com/Peter_Fries/status/1347402323950145537?s=20

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 9, 2021

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sorry for your loss TVS, gently caress cancer.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Condolences, TVS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Idiot reservists been on the ship for 3 weeks and already getting in trouble for canoodling in random corners of the ship. Jeezus Christ it’s been 7 months since I’ve seen my wife and these two married idiots can’t make it a month or at least wait until we get to base they can rent a room for the day.

I’m already beginning to hate being a first class. Passed on LPO on purpose to let a quality dude pad his eval/package.

At least I’m making an additional $15 a day due to the length of time I’ve been out here.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
You know you're a salty reservist when you've been there long enough to bitch about the replacements.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Idiot reservists been on the ship for 3 weeks and already getting in trouble for canoodling in random corners of the ship. Jeezus Christ it’s been 7 months since I’ve seen my wife and these two married idiots can’t make it a month or at least wait until we get to base they can rent a room for the day.

I’m already beginning to hate being a first class. Passed on LPO on purpose to let a quality dude pad his eval/package.

At least I’m making an additional $15 a day due to the length of time I’ve been out here.

Have you got a warfare pin yet? I can't remember if you said.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Have you got a warfare pin yet? I can't remember if you said.

Hahaha
No.

They rehauled the program and straight up collected our books and sat on them for over 45 days that I gave up on it. So far from our original June group we’ve had 3 people earn pins but they all had IW plus other random pins. Honestly I simply don’t care at this point. I’d rather write evals and study stuff for our mission/cyber security than remember the angle of recline our passenger seats or the gear reduction system schematics.

They waved all the time requirements for the pin to accommodate reservists. I still got 100 days to go and my book is complete but I won’t have anyone to board with shortly.

Too bad about my career eh? Guess I’ll be an E6 forever.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahaha
No.

They rehauled the program and straight up collected our books and sat on them for over 45 days that I gave up on it. So far from our original June group we’ve had 3 people earn pins but they all had IW plus other random pins. Honestly I simply don’t care at this point. I’d rather write evals and study stuff for our mission/cyber security than remember the angle of recline our passenger seats or the gear reduction system schematics.

They waved all the time requirements for the pin to accommodate reservists. I still got 100 days to go and my book is complete but I won’t have anyone to board with shortly.

Too bad about my career eh? Guess I’ll be an E6 forever.

You don't need multiple people for a murder board or Chief's board. If you know your stuff (rout memorization) it can go quicker since they don't have to dig deep for crazy stuff.

I've known traditional reservists to make Chief without a pin, it is doable, and I am sure you'll get your IW someday if you stay in but if this is likely gonna be your single time of extended sea deployment, just get your pin. Having flair makes it easier when dealing with people you don't know. It isn't some magic handshake but it does make it easier to build quick rapport with people over having to collectively do dumbshit

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: I'm at the point where I'm ready to stop being an instructor. I'm getting tired of students not paying attention and then wondering why they failed our DC exam. The DC exam isn't easy. You have to pay attention.

I'm becoming a grumpy department head a year and a half before I actually become a soulless CHENG. Sorry everyone.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 11, 2021

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Edit: I'm at the point where I'm ready to stop being an instructor. I'm getting tired of students not paying attention and then wondering why they failed our DC exam. The DC exam isn't easy. You have to pay attention.

I'm becoming a grumpy department head a year and a half before I actually become a soulless CHENG. Sorry everyone.

:sickos:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Clearly doing you job right then, sorry it sucks rear end. But kudos for not dumbing poo poo down to improve pass rates for dumbshits too lazy to do their job.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maybe it's because I'm a dumb civilian but I have a hard time imagining not taking DC classes seriously. Like I know it happens but I can't understand that headspace at all.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a dumb civilian but I have a hard time imagining not taking DC classes seriously. Like I know it happens but I can't understand that headspace at all.

Lol

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I recall a good number of students at SWOS had the mindset that “I’m gonna be in combat systems/ops, let the engineers do engineer poo poo”. Not gonna pretend I wasn’t initially this lovely either.

TVS idk if you’re referring to DH students or engineering-specific students. I haven’t been in this thread in maybe a couple years but props to you for training people to do important life saving navy things

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I have to constantly press the importance of taking drills seriously and have everyone dress out at one time or another. Its easy to underestimate the safety margin and assume everything is going to be just fine. Being an unfunny dick, setting a clear standard, and forcing everyone to meet it is pretty much the only way.

Edit: Doing anything else results in a reversion to the mean/drift to low performance and is a system trap. Systems Thinking by Meadows is a good book to read.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 11, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Are they not taking you at your word that this poo poo is important?

I mean, honestly, wtf.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I recall a good number of students at SWOS had the mindset that “I’m gonna be in combat systems/ops, let the engineers do engineer poo poo”. Not gonna pretend I wasn’t initially this lovely either.

TVS idk if you’re referring to DH students or engineering-specific students. I haven’t been in this thread in maybe a couple years but props to you for training people to do important life saving navy things

It's usually the Topsider Department Head students that tend to be more "I don't need to pay attention to this" but this last go around we had a few Engineer officers fail too. I get that online learning isn't the best. We do our best to keep it informative and as engaging as possible though by asking questions, asking for their experiences where relevant, and using ours when it calls for it. They had plenty of time to study too because the trainers aren't available right now for maintenance.

Some of the answers we got on that exam just made me shake my head.

MML, :sadwave: I was still pretty optimistic when I taught your class back last year. It's almost gone, replaced by disdain for my follow LTs.

And McNally, no idea. I lead with, "Hey, I was the DCA on the Fitzgerald from 2016 to 2017. Yeah, I was there for the collision. I have some practical experience" to impress why this is so important, and yet, I have seen comments of "I'm going to be a Weps. Why should I care about a Main Space Fire or Stability and Buoyancy?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

And McNally, no idea. I lead with, "Hey, I was the DCA on the Fitzgerald from 2016 to 2017. Yeah, I was there for the collision. I have some practical experience" to impress why this is so important, and yet, I have seen comments of "I'm going to be a Weps. Why should I care about a Main Space Fire or Stability and Buoyancy?"

Is it frowned upon to set students on fire?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
God drat. If you had that kind of attitude about DC on a sub you would never get your fish. Hell you could fail out of BESS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McNally posted:

Are they not taking you at your word that this poo poo is important?

I mean, honestly, wtf.

We're living in the COVID era. "It's never going to happen to me and even if it does it probably won't be that bad" is the new universal idiot mantra.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My first ship was ten years ago and I remember one of the able seamen they had dressing out would have to take a rest at each deck when they made him walk up to the bridge without gear. He walked with a limp cause his ex wife shot him in the knee or something.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Have you tried saying "if you cannot successfully pass this class it will have a negative impact on your career?"

Whether or not it's true, that might grab their attention.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

McNally posted:

Have you tried saying "if you cannot successfully pass this class it will have a negative impact on your career?"

Whether or not it's true, that might grab their attention.

Going to guess they just go cry up the chain and it comes back that due to lack of personnel and time to correct their issues/properly train they need to be pushed out anyways. Thus, drift to low performance. I can probably read through the incentives for management/culture issues that foster the environment and perpetuate it. Now your authority has been crushed and you are still held responsible for the results etc etc. I could write a thesis on this poo poo.

Edit: I carry a huge grudge against senior management for this poo poo, for becoming so disconnected, and not listening to the expert they hired to correct it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 12, 2021

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lightpole posted:

Going to guess they just go cry up the chain and it comes back that due to lack of personnel and time to correct their issues/properly train they need to be pushed out anyways. Thus, drift to low performance. I can probably read through the incentives for management/culture issues that foster the environment and perpetuate it. Now your authority has been crushed and you are still held responsible for the results etc etc. I could write a thesis on this poo poo.

Edit: I carry a huge grudge against senior management for this poo poo, for becoming so disconnected, and not listening to the expert they hired to correct it.

SWOS actually will kick people for academic failure. It takes a few failures generally, but it does happen.

It's relatively rare over on the Department Head side where TVS is talking about, but I had a guy in my class many years ago get rolled. Over on the navigation side of the house it's a lot more common and generally happens a couple of times per convening.

Career consequences afterwards vary, but can include loss of designator and getting sent to a POCR board for possible seperation.

But yeah, pre-DH SWO LTs are generally the worst with a special combination of overconfident, lazy, and incompetent so :shrug:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When I got DC qualified someone accidentally signed off my firemain drawing when lazily signing a whole page of signoffs so I never had to draw one.

Joke was on me when I was TAD on the Tempest (never should have given those back to the Navy) and was the only Advanced DC trained person and they put me in charge of the daily DC drills.

That said, that sounds exceptionally frustrating, are there students that do care that you can focus on instead of the Weps who doesn't understand that everyone's a firefighter when your ship's on fire?