Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mind the artstyle in BOTW proper but it lacks that crispness that HW1 had and makes everything look muddled here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I like the combat better in 2 but the mission structure better in 1.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

2 has better combat and handles the sub-weapons better, 1 has a massive cast from the entire franchise and allies on the field that can (sometimes) do things themselves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know which one I think is better, but 2 is definitely an extremely good game and if you liked 1, buying 2 should be a no-brainer.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I want to like AoC, but my hearts of hearts is telling me that it's not so much an expansion on the Hyrule/Pirate Warriors formula as it is the heir apparent to the Gundam games- a flashy, fanservice-packed brawler that's ultimately lacking any substance whatsoever- fun for a bit but way too goddamn shallow to want to sink time into unless you're really, really invested in the franchise involved, except instead of drawing from decades of franchise history like the Gundam titles it's a psuedo-follow up to one game so that charm wears off way, way faster.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

I want to like AoC, but my hearts of hearts is telling me that it's not so much an expansion on the Hyrule/Pirate Warriors formula as it is the heir apparent to the Gundam games- a flashy, fanservice-packed brawler that's ultimately lacking any substance whatsoever- fun for a bit but way too goddamn shallow to want to sink time into unless you're really, really invested in the franchise involved, except instead of drawing from decades of franchise history like the Gundam titles it's a psuedo-follow up to one game so that charm wears off way, way faster.

Counterpoint: I really enjoyed AoC and instead you basically just described the most recent pirate warriors.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah I actually got a PS4 pretty recently, so I feel like I might finally play Dragon Quest Heroes. Is there a reason to play 1, or should I just get 2?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Counterpoint: I really enjoyed AoC and instead you basically just described the most recent pirate warriors.

Might be. I haven't played PW4. Suck if this was the way most of the recent Warriors games have been going. Orochi 4 wasn't any great shakes either, although at least that's more just that combat is incredibly broken and anything they WANT to try and throw at the player is just laughably ineffective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

AoC's combat design is miles better than HW, what in the world are you talking about? It fixes almost all of HW's mistakes and indeed the mistakes of a lot of that type of Musou game. HW is infinitely more the button-mashing brawler compared to AoC which actually has a ton of depth to its combat and rewards you for understanding how each character plays.

AoC's biggest appealing feature is that each character has a fairly in-depth playstyle which, if used correctly, allows you to constantly be exposing and exploiting enemy weak points. Each character has their own ways to open up and exploit those weak points in a variety of ways while also having distinct and unique ways to actually take advantage of having them open. Even the version of the tools (the Slate Runes) are infinitely better designed because each has an important part in each playstyle in addition to being used when enemies show a vulnerability. Even characters who are similar in theory to characters from the previous game (like Zant/Kohga) show a *massive* improvement in design that makes it far easier to understand and use the character.

The bosses are also much better designed with patterns and skills that actually make it possible to keep on the offensive and be rewarded for it but which can still punish you hard if you just try to button mash.

Its only real problem is that it doesn't have the infinite +1 content of HW1 but that's comparing a game with a fuckton of DLC and multiple re-releases with additional content to something that just came out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 4, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I keep having it on my wishlist even though I beat it, but it's going to stop being on sale by tomorrow. I've had it in my cart since the start of the sale...gently caress it, I'm (re)buying DW8XLCE

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah I actually got a PS4 pretty recently, so I feel like I might finally play Dragon Quest Heroes. Is there a reason to play 1, or should I just get 2?

Mmm... I'd say just go straight to 2. 2 is basically what 1 should have been, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

They're both bad but 1 is the better game, 2 is just pure strain boredom that removes the only unique thing the first had.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Wow, how wrong can you be? 2 is great and 1 is nothing but defense garbage.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

PureRok posted:

Wow, how wrong can you be? 2 is great and 1 is nothing but defense garbage.

Seriously this, 1 is just a series of tower defense musou edition maps while 2 actually does an overworld you can explore between maps as well as actually, you know, having the maps themselves be interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol I've never heard anyone say anything good about DQH2 before. Anyway it sold so poorly it killed off the series so rip

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The music is pretty bad so far in AoC, especially compared to HW1. Like bad in the inoffensive and bland sense, which is more noticeable since the first game had some distinctive bangers. The story is better structured and the character movesets and progression are better, but the battlefields themselves are more linear beat-downs. The annoying fights are less annoying than 1. It's a good game but I think the first is better all said and done, at least for what I'm looking for in a musou

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I've never heard anyone say anything good about DQH2 before. Anyway it sold so poorly it killed off the series so rip

This seems like a stupid thing to say considering it's really 50/50 if a Musou licensed game gets a sequel at all

Also after that they got Omega Force to make DQB2 so

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
There is this article from about a year ago that mentions DQH3 is a possibility, so who knows?

I'd really enjoy a third entry from that series or Builders. DQB2 and DQ3 are two of my favorite games, so if they did a Builders take on DQ3 that'd pretty much be my GOTY for whichever year it comes out.

Also if a third DQ Heroes game happens it must have Sylvando.

bentacos fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 5, 2021

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You know what Musou game feels like it's completely vanished from memory? Arslan. Seriously did anyone play Arslan? What IS Arslan? It's an anime right why tf did it get a Musou?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Policenaut posted:

You know what Musou game feels like it's completely vanished from memory? Arslan. Seriously did anyone play Arslan? What IS Arslan? It's an anime right why tf did it get a Musou?

Arslan is an anime with the artist from fullmetal alchemist doing middle eastern army poo poo.

The gameplay was fine, but kinda generic. The gimmick was using card slots to summon extra stuff to happen.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
There were the mardan rushes too, those were neat. Arslan seems like it should have waited until there was more source material. Like it starts to get kinda cool and then just ends because there was only one season of the anime at the time? And there are like 10 playable characters, a couple that aren't available until beating the game.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Arslan was pretty good, but then it just sort of ends. And there wasn't much side content, as I recall.

Worth it if you get it on sale and need to scratch the itch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

It's based on a long running novel series by the same author as Legend of the Galactic Heroes and the then current manga version was written and drawn by the Fullmetal Alchemist mangaka, it has a pretty decent pedigree.
Theres no reason they couldn't have done more since the novels have been finished for years but that would take them doing original stuff themselves and the anime version also turned to poo poo when it ran out of manga to copy.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 5, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

The music is pretty bad so far in AoC

This is the worst take in the thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's based on a long running novel series by the same author as Legend of the Galactic Heroes and the then current manga version was written and drawn by the Fullmetal Alchemist mangaka, it has a pretty decent pedigree.
Theres no reason they couldn't have done more since the novels have been finished for years but that would take them doing original stuff themselves and the anime version also turned to poo poo when it ran out of manga to copy.

Yeah it turns out hiromu arakawa had a much better directorial eye and sense of shot composition and pacing than the guy who was showrunning the anime adaptation of her manga adaptation of an old novel.

When they had no more of her manga to emulate they just kind of floundered without her cinematic and dynamic sensibilities to pull from.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ardryn posted:

2 has better combat and handles the sub-weapons better

Maybe i'm not far enough in AoC but: Sub-weapons??

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Morter posted:

Maybe i'm not far enough in AoC but: Sub-weapons??

stuff like the boomerang and hookshot

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The "sub-weapons" in AoC are basically the runes and rods (and apples), and for a couple of characters (like 1H Link) their Unique Action.

HW1 you either had to use the touchscreen or stop moving to use the d pad to switch between sub weapons, neither of which really felt great and made them kind of a hassle. They also generally weren't useful anyway aside from forcing out giant boss WPGs. AoC makes them much easier to use, and also made them useful in combat in general.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Now that you mention it a FMA Warriors game would be pretty awesome. You have a nice large cast to pull from, plenty of different playstyles for them, ready-made bosses in the Homonculi, and it's a finished story so you don't have to worry about the ending or anything. Too bad the window for it existing is long past.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Was Pirate Warriors 4 any good? It feels like it released then immediately dropped off the planet, while musou fans talked about 3 for a long time after it came out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

AoC's combat design is miles better than HW, what in the world are you talking about? It fixes almost all of HW's mistakes and indeed the mistakes of a lot of that type of Musou game. HW is infinitely more the button-mashing brawler compared to AoC which actually has a ton of depth to its combat and rewards you for understanding how each character plays.

AoC's biggest appealing feature is that each character has a fairly in-depth playstyle which, if used correctly, allows you to constantly be exposing and exploiting enemy weak points. Each character has their own ways to open up and exploit those weak points in a variety of ways while also having distinct and unique ways to actually take advantage of having them open. Even the version of the tools (the Slate Runes) are infinitely better designed because each has an important part in each playstyle in addition to being used when enemies show a vulnerability. Even characters who are similar in theory to characters from the previous game (like Zant/Kohga) show a *massive* improvement in design that makes it far easier to understand and use the character.

The bosses are also much better designed with patterns and skills that actually make it possible to keep on the offensive and be rewarded for it but which can still punish you hard if you just try to button mash.

That's all well and good but if 90% of the game is just that, it's boring.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Achernar posted:

Now that you mention it a FMA Warriors game would be pretty awesome. You have a nice large cast to pull from, plenty of different playstyles for them, ready-made bosses in the Homonculi, and it's a finished story so you don't have to worry about the ending or anything. Too bad the window for it existing is long past.

we're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the manga starting this year, so who knows what the future holds!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

20 year lol

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anyone remember the Arslan Warriors game?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Takoluka posted:

Anyone remember the Arslan Warriors game?

I know it's been a long week, but the reason it's in your head is the discussion not even a dozen posts up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The original 90's Arslan ova's were renamed 'Arislan' for the UK release because they thought it sounded too much like arse

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Unreal_One posted:

I know it's been a long week, but the reason it's in your head is the discussion not even a dozen posts up.

yeah, but do you remember it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

yeah, but do you remember it

I remember love

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

We need Macross Musou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If they ever made one, it'd never leave Japan because of Harmony Gold's stranglehold on the license.