Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hey ill pay you one cup of coffee to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Gort posted:

What is it about drinks that turns people into mystical snobs

Yes, I will pay £5,000 for a bottle of wine that's near-indistinguishable from a six-quidder from the supermarket, and build me a coffee machine the size of a dustbin in my kitchen while you're at it please

How's my Juicero Kickstarter going, oh no

There's a lot of the time a massive difference between a £30 bottle of wine and some barefoot in the off-license but the diminishing returns start there. past that you're literally just paying for disappointment

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All wine is expensive and tastes pish

Schloer, now that's both cheap and the drink of the gods

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gort posted:

What is it about drinks that turns people into mystical snobs

Yes, I will pay £5,000 for a bottle of wine that's near-indistinguishable from a six-quidder from the supermarket, and build me a coffee machine the size of a dustbin in my kitchen while you're at it please

How's my Juicero Kickstarter going, oh no

Why yes, I'd love to pay £500 for a small bottle of beer so strong it can no longer reasonably be called beer, to be poured from the mouth of a squirrel corpse.

Aidan_702 posted:

There's a lot of the time a massive difference between a £30 bottle of wine and some barefoot in the off-license but the diminishing returns start there. past that you're literally just paying for disappointment

IIRC diminishing returns start at £7.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

I think given who did it the consequences will be bad tbh

that loving scum know they will be treated with kid gloves now

The die for that was cast at the Michigan State House back in May when they got away with a literal armed occupation, with the police not just standing aside but checking their loving temperatures on the way in.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

I hate long coffees and only drink espresso. Machines are poo poo at long coffees (pushing too much water through the puck massively increases the bitterness) but if you want a shot of espresso nothing will beat it.

However I got a cold brew coffee thingy for christmas and it's basically a long brew french press that you leave for 24h and has a much finer filter. drat it's good. No acidity. Do recommend as it's like £20 for one that fits in the fridge door and you get coffee for a week as holy hell it's strong.

I do cold brew myself thought mine is very basic; throw coffee + water in sealed jar for 20hr then drain through sieve + filter and throw back in the cleaned jar = coffee for the week.

Any more than 20hr ruins the PH balance and sets off my hiatus hernia big time. :kingsley:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Coffee is gross if I want a hot drink I'll just get a hot chocolate because I don't hate my taste buds.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
No-one is drinking it for the taste.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No one drinks anything for the taste except Fanta Zero.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nah loads of people will go on about The One True Way To Make Delicious Coffee even though it's all disgusting without adding a ton of sugar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I am. Caffiene doesn't seem to actually do much to me.

Miftan posted:

Nah loads of people will go on about The One True Way To Make Delicious Coffee even though it's all disgusting without adding a ton of sugar.

Add a ton of sugar then, nothing wrong with that, sweet coffee is nice.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I do cold brew myself thought mine is very basic; throw coffee + water in sealed jar for 20hr then drain through sieve + filter and throw back in the cleaned jar = coffee for the week.

Any more than 20hr ruins the PH balance and sets off my hiatus hernia big time. :kingsley:

Good to know! I am not at the point of ph testing my coffee yet but with staying inside for another year it's only a matter of time.

E: I thought we learned with the Brussels sprouts argument vs broccoli a while ago. We all have wildly different tastebuds and that's OK!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Coffee is nice IMO.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

Yea the way people get fanatical about coffee just makes me even more determined to keep drinking it from a machine I push a button on. I cannot deal with the huge amount of faff that ‘proper’ coffee seems to entail.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I remember a time when I maintained that there was no difference between freeze dried instant coffee and stuff fresh ground from the fanciest bean. Then I had a partner who showed me my error, and ruined two scoops out of the jar, some boiling water and a splash of milk for me forever. Now I'm beset with scales, thermometers, bizarrely shaped glassware and exotic beans. Cherish your ignorance and unsophisticated palates, because once you open that particular vacuum-sealed packet you are looking into the bitter, black abyss for the rest of your life.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Caffiene doesn't seem to actually do much to me.

Add a ton of sugar then, nothing wrong with that, sweet coffee is nice.

Same on the first point, hot chocolate for the 2nd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chocolate's nice too, though it can be a bit cloying sometimes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The missus picked up a pumpkin spice latte for me this year and i now see what the fuss was about. Not to the extent of making it my entire aesthetic on tumblr, but it was nice. I also see why they only do it once a year because if you had it all the time it'd definitely get sickly.

Same with vanilla lattes. I used to love getting them on my way to counselling on a saturday, then worked out I could just buy the monin syrup and get a basic pod machine at home. Got sick of them very, very quickly. Artificial scarcity does add value in this case.

Does anyone else get icepick headaches from certain brands or is it just me? I can only drink decaf because my liver apparently rules at processing toxins, but while I'm fine with some brands, I can guarantee if I have Costa or nescafe azera, i'll be laid up in bed feeling like I pissed off Stalin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The die for that was cast at the Michigan State House back in May when they got away with a literal armed occupation, with the police not just standing aside but checking their loving temperatures on the way in.
It was probably sealed before then at the Bundy Ranch, or maybe even further back in OKC.

I know there was at least one farm store in the South that just started selling bulk ammonium nitrate without paperwork again in 2017 because "Trump's president, what's anyone going to do?" so there's a deep taproot of federal government resentment/presumed inaction there.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Miftan posted:

See I really thought that for years. But we had a coffee geek locked down with us on the first lockdown, and he did this method...

No but seriously, it was a 10th-of-a-gram accurate, stopwatch-timed, pour over technique that used up about twice as much coffee as normal and after the second or third go (while he was adjusting to the hardness of our water) it suddenly tasted amazing, just black and unsweetened. It was amazing, I'm a complete sugar and oat milk queen usually.

Haven't made it since he moved out though, who in gods name has the time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Chocolate's nice too, though it can be a bit cloying sometimes.

I got that Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate machine for Christmas and it's great. I mean all it does is heat and whisk milk and chocolate flakes together but it's so much better than the sugary powders you usually get. Especially when it's actually good quality chocolate.

I'm now condemned to buy pouches of fancy chocolate flakes at a premium for the rest of my life though.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I just like the ritual of making fancy pour over coffee in the morning. It’s nice to take a few minutes to make something nice, and it’s nice to buy beans from a local roaster who can tell me where they were grown and have a higher likelihood that they are getting paid more fairly.

Same with wine - I don’t think there’s a huge difference flavour-wise between an £8 bottle and a £15 bottle but I often get the £15 bottle from a local wine shop because it’s supporting a local business and a small winemaker, rather than giving more money to a supermarket. I even found a place that imports from Portugal by sailboat so it’s carbon-neutral!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Miftan posted:

Agreed with your taste buds on this and orange chocolate

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I sometimes drink coffee and think, "hmm, that's not bad", but I never drink coffee and think "hmm, that's actually good".

Which is why I mostly drink tea, because some tea is actually good.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm slowly converting this thread to Correct Food Thought (Miftanist-Levantist)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I just like cheap, instant coffee, 2 spoons, bang, you've got a coffee.

My mate has this £600 coffee machine and sends me photos of coffee he has made and talks about various beans from different places, but I don't really give a poo poo. Any sort of chat about fine dining or artisan foods are what I dislike most about food and drink because it feels like gatekeeping or snobbery and "ohhhh you need to try this". I just like £1 frozen pizzas and a cigarette for dessert

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like coffee but not enough to go out and work on the front lines of a plague.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like coffee but not enough to go out and work on the front lines of a plague.

Is it a binary choice between those two things?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stev posted:

I got that Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate machine for Christmas and it's great. I mean all it does is heat and whisk milk and chocolate flakes together but it's so much better than the sugary powders you usually get. Especially when it's actually good quality chocolate.

I'm now condemned to buy pouches of fancy chocolate flakes at a premium for the rest of my life though.
Yo we got one of these for Christmas as well and the Caffe Latte sachets are IMO even better than the hot chocolate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

various beans from different places
:sickos:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Milk and sugar are for making pancakes and do not belong in coffee, that is my hot take for the day

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All wine is expensive and tastes pish

Schloer, now that's both cheap and the drink of the gods

are you my auntie

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Miftan posted:

I'm slowly converting this thread to Correct Food Thought (Miftanist-Levantist)

i don't particularly like the taste of olives so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also all wine is not trash because lambrini exists.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

OwlFancier posted:

Also all wine is not trash because lambrini exists.

Lambrini isn't even wine?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tastes like it and is alcoholic, ergo wine.

Let me put on my plato hat and say that wine is alcoholic and in the wine section

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Olives and feta cheese is delicious

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there’s lots of interesting booze near the checkout at savers, but i imagine half of it is directly linked to murders in glasgow so i’ve not had the courage to try any of it yet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I just have 'instant granules' (though most supermarket own brands including M&S taste like poo poo). I used to get something called something like 5743 one of the fairtrade brands but I don't see it anymore so bad me :guillotine: gets Nescafe 'red label' (classic) now. Especially as I'm on a very tight budget and 200g jar costs £2.99 in Home Bargains. Never will I go for the orange powder extreme cheap stuff. I typically drink 4 mugs a day, somedays only 3 and occasionally 5. I try not to drink it after 730pm as it definitely doesn't help my sleep. Sometimes I crave a cup late evening and have to say no to myself. I keep meaning to get a jar of decaff in for those occasions but decaff tastes weird.

I find filter coffee and all those fancy brews are ok for 1 or 2 cups but after that it's too much. When I first got a credit card (Access - precursor to Mastercard) back in 1979, my then boyfriend and I spent one Sunday afternoon going down all the posh hotels in Knightsbridge having a pot of fresh coffee. After about the 10th cup we were vibrating and jigging about so much on caffeine overdose! Espresso and Turkish are way too strong.

I discovered I need a minimum of 1 mug of caffeine drink a day - preferably coffee - else I get VERY grouchy. If I can't get coffee for whatever reason eg some remote villages abroad - then I have to have a can of cola or something like that.

About 3 years ago, I stopped 2 nights in a 5* hotel in Cairo which had one of those nespresso machines in the room with all the little pots satchets thingummies. I tried it a couple of times but wasn't impressed. I ended up nipping out to a local shop and getting a small jar of nescafe instead.

Wine chat:
When I still used to drink regularly (more than 15 years ago - not touched it since except for a pot of 'baileys cream' (cream NOT liquer) at xmas) I mostly drank lager but sometimes wine. I preferred medium-sweet white wine. (My family were the family sneaking round the supermarket buying liebefraumilch). Dry white wine is gross. I disgraced myself at a work Xmas do once because the white wine whoever organised the do had ordered was horribly dry and I was caught putting little satchets of sugar into my glass to make it remotely drinkable. Hey I had paid £20 for that bloody xmas dinner, I was having my share. Red gives me a headache just looking at it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

OwlFancier posted:

Tastes like it and is alcoholic, ergo wine.

Let me put on my plato hat and say that wine is alcoholic and in the wine section

That's definitely a definition.

(Not a fan of it, but my wife enjoys it, so there normally tends to be a bottle in the fridge just in case she wants an easy drink after a late shift)

In general though, wine is so wide-ranging that it actually takes time to find out what you like (just like most other drinks tbh), but I do tend to begrudge spending more than 8 on a bottle unless it's actually a local place that makes it.