Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
please do not ring a bell you cannot unring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vinylshadow posted:

*checks*

Doctor Who is 1.5 million per episode

Mandalorian is 15 million per episode

:stonklol:

God, imagine Doctor Who with that amount of time and budget.. :allears:

I'd only be okay with that if the monsters continued to be produced on a shoestring budget. I feel like the fact they get basically no money for them leads to some much better designs.

If you ever want to either laugh or cringe in horror, I highly suggest looking at the designs for the Daleks and the 'Cybs' (a take on the Cybermen) from the planned big-ish-budget American Who reboot in the 90s. Know that THAT'S what could await if we give Who's monster designs a budget.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Right, time to reduce the budget back down to 2000 per episode, or less

Remember David introducing the 50th special? That's all you get

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Sure, just sell it to Disney.

Well, unless the BBC get that knife out of their back that the STMC keep shoving in, they may very well have to.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I'd only be okay with that if the monsters continued to be produced on a shoestring budget. I feel like the fact they get basically no money for them leads to some much better designs.

If you ever want to either laugh or cringe in horror, I highly suggest looking at the designs for the Daleks and the 'Cybs' (a take on the Cybermen) from the planned big-ish-budget American Who reboot in the 90s. Know that THAT'S what could await if we give Who's monster designs a budget.

This seems like a stretch. The fact that an American co-production came up with questionable designs does not somehow mean that the only way for Doctor Who to have good monsters is to have a low budget.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One small EXTREMELY minor correction- Beavers was supposed to be the same Master as Delgado, just after getting mortally wounded and refusing to die. The Master's willpower to refuse death is why he could body hop to begin with

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

One small EXTREMELY minor correction- Beavers was supposed to be the same Master as Delgado, just after getting mortally wounded and refusing to die. The Master's willpower to refuse death is why he could body hop to begin with

Also, since the "here's all the Masters" post that I assume you're replying to mentions Big Finish stuff, it's worth noting that the audios have the Tremas body being blasted away with Beavers' Master revealed underneath and continuing on again contemporary to the 7th Doctor after that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

I'm sure there is a book or maybe even an audio somewhere that goes into detail, but I always assume that after going on the run from the Daleks at the end of Frontier in Space, they catch up with him and blast him but he survived/escaped horribly wounded and on the edge of death, which is why he flees back to Gallifrey to get into the Matrix where he manages to fake its supposedly unfakable memories just like he would do again in 2020 in The Timeless Children :hmmyes:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

In the audios there's a very brief moment in one story where you here the crispy Master pre-crisping and he's still Beevers. Think the books did something different.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Spoiler for RTD's new drama "It's a Sin."

https://twitter.com/ThePrydonian/status/1347290913643634697?s=20

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

DWM just came out today with a 10-page feature about how they did that for the drama.

Frustratingly very little about Revolution of the Daleks, but I suspect that's more an issue with the magazine's release date being way too close to the broadcast date.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Oh god I need these episodes to be real now:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD is so loving cool goddammit :allears:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

A true exemple of using that "Excuse me you dropped this, King" image with Mario holding up a crown.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've got to Let's Kill Hitler in the re-watch. I hate everything to do with Mels.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I'm all caught up and have seen the special.

Well, first, I hope they manage to keep it just The Doctor and Yaz for a while next season. Any idea who the next Doctor is yet? Guess that might inform whether they pile on new companions or develop the one who makes sense to. Maybe onboard the next people a bit better, like, "hey existing near me is kind of like a drug and you'll be left with some lifelong withdrawl but don't worry you could always be fragmented into pieces and permanently erased from my memory.

The Doctor should also stop trying to tell people they'll meet back up with them in a predictable amount of time. How many times do companions get left behind on earth and then the doctor is gone for them for a really long time now?

Also is there any reason the Doctor just doesn't go back in time immediately so they aren't "late" anymore, or even just check the date before popping out of the tardis. It's fine that it doesn't usually matter but it feels disingenuous to apologize about it when there is no intention to change the behaviour.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Khanstant posted:

Also is there any reason the Doctor just doesn't go back in time immediately so they aren't "late" anymore, or even just check the date before popping out of the tardis. It's fine that it doesn't usually matter but it feels disingenuous to apologize about it when there is no intention to change the behaviour.

Father's Day. Waters of Mars.

Don't use time travel to fix your past problems, it doesn't go well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah alright. Dealing with going cold turkey from the doctor is fixed grief in history I can buy it. Apology disingenuousness accusation rescinded.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Father's Day.

This one in particular did not go well!

I love his little look back towards "his" Rose, just the briefest moment of,"What did you d-" :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

Okay I'm all caught up and have seen the special.

Well, first, I hope they manage to keep it just The Doctor and Yaz for a while next season.

We're getting 8 episodes and a new dude joins pretty soon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We're getting 8 episodes and a new dude joins pretty soon.

Well shame about the new dude, hope that means the new Doctor isn't a new foreign white guy.

Found some arbitrary odds and the best odds are for a really boring looking guy (to be fair, kind of hard to judge Doctor ability by squinting at an actor and imagining if they could wear a thrift store hobo outfit while shouting heroic nonsense)

quote:

Next Doctor Who odds
Kris Marshall: 3/1

Maxine Peake: 8/1

Natalie Dormer: 8/1

Tom Rosenthal: 10/1

David Harewood: 11/1

Vicky McClure: 12/1

James Norton: 14/1

Phoebe Waller-Bridge: 14/1

Richard Rankin: 16/1

Tilda Swinton: 16/1

Jenna Coleman: 20/1

Michaela Coel: 20/1

Best girl has worst odds

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's too famous now. Like Carey Mulligan suddenly exploded so Sally Sparrow never returned.

I would love if Jodie regenerates into a former companion, says something and is like "oh no, I know that voice."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t see them immediately going back to some boring white guy, but then again Chibnall is as dull and uncreative as they come, so :shrug:. Of the top of that list, Peake or Harewood would be cool. Can’t see Dormer doing it, she’s too well known now.

I know the ratings and fan polls don’t really back up this claim, but Capaldi proved you could still do an older Doctor and make it work. I’d like to see them cast an older actress, but I fear you’d have an even bigger chud fan backlash than the one you had over Whittaker.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

She's too famous now. Like Carey Mulligan suddenly exploded so Sally Sparrow never returned.

I would love if Jodie regenerates into a former companion, says something and is like "oh no, I know that voice."

My most Doctor Who-esque reaction to this was, and I swear to God it was an immediate one

"I wonder if we could get the actor back and have them (the Doctor and Companion) meet"

And then my brain snapped back in place

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Well shame about the new dude, hope that means the new Doctor isn't a new foreign white guy.

Found some arbitrary odds and the best odds are for a really boring looking guy (to be fair, kind of hard to judge Doctor ability by squinting at an actor and imagining if they could wear a thrift store hobo outfit while shouting heroic nonsense)

Best girl has worst odds

FYI those are just made up by bookmakers to get money from gullible people, not based on any fact or insider knowledge of casting processes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Make Bryan Fuller the new showrunner and cast Gillian Anderson as the Doctor. Sure they'll only make 6 episodes and it'll cost 450 million pounds, but holy gently caress what a season it'll be :swoon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t see them immediately going back to some boring white guy, but then again Chibnall is as dull and uncreative as they come, so :shrug:. Of the top of that list, Peake or Harewood would be cool. Can’t see Dormer doing it, she’s too well known now.

I know the ratings and fan polls don’t really back up this claim, but Capaldi proved you could still do an older Doctor and make it work. I’d like to see them cast an older actress, but I fear you’d have an even bigger chud fan backlash than the one you had over Whittaker.

I don't think Chibnall will be the one pushing for a white guy to take over the role again; but rather, I have the feeling that the Beeb will want to try and recapture the show's height of popularity during the eras of Tennant and Smith. The show doesn't seem to have the worldwide "must see TV" cultural cachet it once had (and that's a pity because, although I still don't watch it, I do think Jodie's a great choice for the role; she's charismatic as hell and her smile is absolutely brilliant), and I can easily see the BBC wanting to cargo cult their way back to the times when DW was hugely popular around the globe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Make Bryan Fuller the new showrunner and cast Gillian Anderson as the Doctor. Sure they'll only make 6 episodes and it'll cost 450 million pounds, but holy gently caress what a season it'll be :swoon:

And Fuller would then depart the series after the first 3 episodes anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The show doesn't seem to have the worldwide "must see TV" cultural cachet it once had (and that's a pity because, although I still don't watch it, I do think Jodie's a great choice for the role; she's charismatic as hell and her smile is absolutely brilliant), and I can easily see the BBC wanting to cargo cult their way back to the times when DW was hugely popular around the globe.

Well in 2005 the show was spearheaded by an acclaimed writer who had just written a series about gay youth (which also referenced Doctor Who!). It worked out extremely well, so they should find the closest equivalent to that now. I understand there's a fellow by the name of Russell T Davies currently doing just such a show, complete with references to Doctor Who hmmmmm.... :thunk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rhyno posted:

It'll never happen but this idea really makes me want a full season of Doctor-Donna.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Well in 2005 the show was spearheaded by an acclaimed writer who had just written a series about gay youth (which also referenced Doctor Who!). It worked out extremely well, so they should find the closest equivalent to that now. I understand there's a fellow by the name of Russell T Davies currently doing just such a show, complete with references to Doctor Who hmmmmm.... :thunk:

If it's the RTD that actually brought us some really good episodes, then sure. If it's the RTD that gave us "Love and Monsters" and "Fear Her" and whatever that bullshit was with the bus in the desert? I'd rather they just conjured up the ghost of JNT and told him to recreate the feel of McCoy's first season, instead.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Love and Monsters rules, actually :colbert:

(Jackie chewing out the guy that's just had all his friends eaten by a monster for being rude to her daughter, and gross pavement slab blowjob joke notwithstanding)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It works a lot more if one just assumes the last three or so minutes were him being so off his block with grief that he made it up.

Honestly though, I'll take a ton of 'Fear Hers' over a gram of 'Kablam' any day of the week.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Love and Monsters rules.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Jackie chewing out the guy that's just had all his friends eaten by a monster for being rude to her daughter

You've not seen the episode in a while, have you? :P

Rose shouts at him after his friends are eaten, Jackie never gets involved with or knows about any of that plot.

(Rose's criticism is also meant to be another example of Rose's increasing meanness and short sightedness, but that arc is a bit half baked.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

If we're talking things that will never happen, I say hand the show over to Noah Hawley and let him cook.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume the reason we've not got Toby Whithouse in charge is because he said no. Otherwise, Toby Whithouse.

howe_sam posted:

If we're talking things that will never happen, I say hand the show over to Noah Hawley and let him cook.

Yeah, I think I'd genuinely hate this.

Maybe I've got to see him in a non-pretentious context, but either he has no sense of fun, or his idea of fun is very much not mine.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 8, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isn't the low budget and cheese part of the charm of Doctor Who? Making it a prestige show would be missing the point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

It works a lot more if one just assumes the last three or so minutes were him being so off his block with grief that he made it up.

Honestly though, I'll take a ton of 'Fear Hers' over a gram of 'Kablam' any day of the week.

If you stop watching Kablaam! ten minutes before the end of the episode, you’d think it was a great episode. There’s no ten minute chunk you can remove from Fear Her that leads to any meaningful improvement.

And if the BBC wants to go Doctor Who trad to improve the ratings, the next showrunner should be a woman. Verity Lambert made the show a success the first time, after all.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

howe_sam posted:

The time creatures in the last season of Legion were better 'Doctor Who monsters' than any of the new monsters on the show during the last two seasons, so I'd be down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I think I'd genuinely hate this.

Maybe I've got to see him in a non-pretentious context, but either he has no sense of fun, or his idea of fun is very much not mine.

Hawley is definitely a boom/bust prospect, and I don't think the show itself could handle his energy for more than a season, but it would be a fascinating experiment.