Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

man the reaction in Australia is really something to see. It still feels weird to see friends in Sydney or Melbourne without masks on doing...normal...things, or to hear about life as usual there, or see sports filled up with spectators. and I know it's been different depending on states, but they've taken it as seriously as I'd hoped the U.S. would have.

meanwhile there's a new state of emergency for Tokyo and the surrounding area that means people should work from home, restaurants should close by 8 pm, and events will be restricted in capacity and until 8 pm. This as Tokyo shot over 2,400 new cases (with a ridiculously high positive rate from tests) and Japan over 7,000 for the first time.

and waking up to an attempted autogolpe yesterday was certainly a hell of a thing.

I'm in Brisbane so I have literally never had to wear a mask through this whole thing and things were almost normalish from around August.

Apparently this is a specific plan for the UK strain of Covid - which apparently is highly contagious. The plan was put in place at the federal level and agreed to by all states and territories.

If its detected anywhere theres an immediate lockdown for 3 days with mandatory mask usage and see where we're at 3 days later.

Im happy the response is mostly positive as in "let's beat this poo poo" with a few lone nutters whinging about govt control but the general response all over social media seems to be "shut up oval office".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
But here in the US where the strain has also appeared it's ARE FREEDOMS so we're all gon' die

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/mary__retta/status/1347250134502010887

but for real gently caress america, demon cracker nation

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Im happy the response is mostly positive as in "let's beat this poo poo" with a few lone nutters whinging about govt control but the general response all over social media seems to be "shut up oval office".

I’m so glad it’s such a strong response, even in the state that is Australia’s Florida.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Can somebody explain to me why it took so long for tiktok to come along and replace vines?

Everybody loved vines, yet seems like there wasn't a copycat app until recently.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Can somebody explain to me why it took so long for tiktok to come along and replace vines?

Everybody loved vines, yet seems like there wasn't a copycat app until recently.

tiktok has existed for 4 years

it basically started as soon as vine died

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vines were insanely popular but they had no idea how to monetize it, because no one was gonna watch a 15 second ad before a 6 second video. Tik Tok is basically China stealing all of our personal information so they don't give a poo poo about making it profitable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

tiktok has existed for 4 years

it basically started as soon as vine died

Given how long yesterday was, the time between Vine and Tik Tok is basically a century.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Vines were insanely popular but they had no idea how to monetize it, because no one was gonna watch a 15 second ad before a 6 second video. Tik Tok is basically China stealing all of our personal information so they don't give a poo poo about making it profitable.

???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/08/06/tiktok-any-worse-privacy-and-data-mining-than-facebook/3311726001/

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doesn’t seem particularly different than other social media apps, but what do I know.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Doesn’t seem particularly different than other social media apps, but what do I know.
I said the same thing about TikTok in the last chat thread and kinda got piled on for it. My takeaway now is that it's a more enhanced version on Vine.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 8, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm still really loving mad about yesterday.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

but you see the servers are in China and the company is connected to the *whispers* Chinese Communist Party

yeah on the grand scheme of things it's not much worse than American corporations but it certainly causes a few flinches

[edit]

a neat cape posted:

you should be!!!!! there was an attempted autogolpe urged on by the President of the United States and provided us the clearest example of white privilege imaginable! and if you think that's the last time we'll see this poo poo in the U.S. this year then it sounds like I can sell you some beach-front property in Idaho.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 8, 2021

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

At least not 0 congress people poo poo themselves? I mean it sucked but if you need a silver lining?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

saw some post via Instagram that made the comment: the supposed TikTok teens making the point that all of our elected Congresspeople know how it feels to be in an active shooter / school shooting situation.

which...yeah, considering most elected officials would be in their mid-30s at the youngest, that absolutely tracks.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

a neat cape posted:

Same. I live here and feel loving violated, both from these maga types that we've had to put up with visiting and being shitheads for years and the apparently useless security state that has nevertheless constrained our lives for forever.

Like, you live in DC you put up with bullshit security theater all the time because everyone tells you it's necessary, and when an insurrection actually does happen while congress is in session they let them in the loving doors and then let them walk away, after spending the summer treating BLM protesters like they were fighting the Battle of the Bulge.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I trust the Chinese with my personal data more than I do Facebook and the US Government.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm just completely spent on all of this. I can't even work up the energy to be mad it's just exhausting that all of these moron exist.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I've already had way more drinks in the past couple of days than I had planned on for the next month.

poo poo's beyond exhausting, and who knows what's going to happen in two weeks

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/mary__retta/status/1347250134502010887

but for real gently caress america, demon cracker nation

My takeaway from this is that unicor must really loving suck.

How do you only have an 11% margin if your direct labor is paid buck an hour???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Big Jesus posted:

My takeaway from this is that unicor must really loving suck.

Executive compensation.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

The Big Jesus posted:

Probably by design, someone is pocketing the money

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I trust the Chinese with my personal data more than I do Facebook and the US Government.

Sizzling!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

You think this is theoretical? The Chinese government already has my PII from the OPM hack - thank you US government - and nothing has happened with it, while Facebook is mining my information and personal data for advertisement purposes on a daily basis.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

D-LINK this is a picture of Gerard coming for your girl

https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1347508233242619906?s=19

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's funny to think the Chinese aren't basically ladling data from Alphabet and Facebook routinely as well.

Sometimes they don't need to. They can just outright purchase it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/thelateempire/status/1347386612041142274?s=19

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Wish me luck, send Ts & Ps, slaughter a goat, whatever, I have my final interview for that dream job today. Super loving nervous.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wish me luck, send Ts & Ps, slaughter a goat, whatever, I have my final interview for that dream job today. Super loving nervous.

show them the fish picture

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1347332862266257409?s=20

Something something "community safety"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The 1st response is also :discourse:
https://twitter.com/josker197/status/1347430171553398784?s=21
The latest line "…there will NEVER be another Donald Trump as President in your lifetimes" rings false to me though, because the next one won't be as stupid. :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

show them the fish picture

It’s my zoom profile pic

Which speaking of, if I get this job, they said I/they wouldn’t be going back to the office until August. Gonna be weird working at a company for 8 months not having met anyone face to face

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Joey Freshwater posted:

Good luck friend. If you've made it this far you're in a good spot, so you can relax a bit.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Samadhi posted:

D-LINK this is a picture of Gerard coming for your girl

https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1347508233242619906?s=19

It's insanely cool how I spend untold hours working out so that I don't look like a door wedge with my shirt off, and yet Im still no match for that bastard's charisma

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Good luck Joey, you got this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

The latest line "…there will NEVER be another Donald Trump as President in your lifetimes" rings false to me though, because the next one won't be as stupid. :(

If it makes you feel any better Hawley may have overplayed his hand on this one
https://twitter.com/ErinMcPike/status/1347394192457297921?s=20

That includes D senators like Chris Coons who is normally all buddy-buddy with GOP senators.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/1347330876703531009

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tots and pears to you my friend. Stay humble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

C-Euro posted:

https://twitter.com/ErinMcPike/status/1347394192457297921?s=20

That includes D senators like Chris Coons who is normally all buddy-buddy with GOP senators.

Unfortunately he'll be more loved than ever by like 75 million voters