Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunter Noventa posted:

...hearing you go on about Super Robot Wars makes me want to see you do a VLP of OGs now that its translated, but that would be a hell of an effort.

Oh where? I am I interested in that.

Edit: Nevermind just checked the Super Robot Wars thread.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Re: the Imperator Titan, I swear I remember hearing one time that with typical 40K models if you wanted to make an Imperator to the same scale it would be easier to dress someone in a costume and have them stand on the gameboard :D. I'd have to double-check the scale to be sure, but I always thought that was funny, especially since I think they actually put Imperator Titan rules in for Apocalypse-scale games at one point (though no model even from Forge World thanks to the aforementioned scale issue, though I double-checked and my eyeballs about fell out that they had a frigging Titan Maniple (a Warlord, two Reavers, and two Warhounds) for about $4400 US). I do think the Titan in this game is supposed to be an Imperator though - the head matches that more than a Warlord, and more importantly it's got a Hellstorm cannon which is supposed to be Emperor-class Titan only. Again, uncertain of the correct scale it's supposed to have though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MadDogMike posted:

Re: the Imperator Titan, I swear I remember hearing one time that with typical 40K models if you wanted to make an Imperator to the same scale it would be easier to dress someone in a costume and have them stand on the gameboard :D. I'd have to double-check the scale to be sure, but I always thought that was funny, especially since I think they actually put Imperator Titan rules in for Apocalypse-scale games at one point (though no model even from Forge World thanks to the aforementioned scale issue, though I double-checked and my eyeballs about fell out that they had a frigging Titan Maniple (a Warlord, two Reavers, and two Warhounds) for about $4400 US). I do think the Titan in this game is supposed to be an Imperator though - the head matches that more than a Warlord, and more importantly it's got a Hellstorm cannon which is supposed to be Emperor-class Titan only. Again, uncertain of the correct scale it's supposed to have though.

Specifically it's easier to dress an 8 year old then build an actual Imperator.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Angry_Ed posted:

Gonna find out who'z a git and who'z nice

Panzees git a krumpin' to-niiiiite!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Thanks everyone for voting, it looks like the Necrons are going to be the faction I play as for Dark Crusade! Look out for it in another two months or so once Winter Assault is finished. Once I've finished recording all the Dark Crusade stuff, please expect a Soulstorm poll! Also lots and lots of crying on my part.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Lookin' forward to the Oldcron mayhem. While the army may not have the most variety, they definitely made up for it by making the Necron commander's kit overloaded like a newly released League of Legends champion! Eager to see the fun you get up to with that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm bored this morning, so some Imperial Guard and Cadia fluff bits while we're here:

Seeing tanks, infantry, and artillery all operate under one regiment's command like we're seeing in these games is actually pretty unusual in 40k fluff! RoboKy and Coolguye mentioned before how the Imperium likes to keep different military forces strictly divided in case of heresy, but in the Guard it goes down to the regimental level. In general, any given Guard regiment is an infantry regiment or an armored regiment or an artillery regiment. At most, you see things like an infantry regiment having a few sentinels for recon duty and a handful of chimeras for transport. Combined arms regiments like you see in these games are, in theory, very unusual and under normal circumstances only seen in regiments with a long history of service and loyalty. Most combined arms regiments come from a handful of worlds, most notably Cadia, Krieg, and Mordia.

Ironically, according to a couple of books, Cadia had more Chaos cults per square mile than just about any other planet in the Imperium, and correspondingly one of the largest permanent detachments of the Inquisition in the Imperium. The Eisenhorn novels describe an entire warehouse full of archival records on Chaos cults on Cadia the Inquisition destroyed.

It's possibly apocryphal, but it's generally believed in the 40k fanbase that the Cadian Shock Troops are based on the historical Canadian shock troops of WW1 and WW2. GW is a British company so it's certainly up their alley, and the uniforms and accents do often bear a striking resemblance.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Candia

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I don't think an obscure battle between two long-dead empires is what GW was going for, especially when the parallel you could draw from the historical battle's outcome is only potentially relevant to 40k Cadia in fluff decisions made within the last couple years, while Cadia has been a part of 40k's fluff for decades.

There is an Ottoman themed Imperial Guard planet and regiment but they're an invention of the spinoff role playing games and have never appeared in the main fluff.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Thanks everyone for voting, it looks like the Necrons are going to be the faction I play as for Dark Crusade! Look out for it in another two months or so once Winter Assault is finished. Once I've finished recording all the Dark Crusade stuff, please expect a Soulstorm poll! Also lots and lots of crying on my part.

Welp, figured it should be one of the new factions given we'll see all the others by then. At least their dialogue in the Ork stronghold is one I find rather hilarious, though again I hope you show off the Necron stronghold with another race (if nothing else there's a certain grim humor to constantly slaughtering the AI-controlled Necron Lord as he keeps getting raised from where he fell; think on one map I built turrets around him so I could ignore him since he kept popping up and dying in a hail of bolter fire after a few seconds every so often). Actually the Tau might be a great choice to do that, lets you show off every race in the game that way since the others as mentioned get the spotlight already in DOW1/Winter Assault.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 5: Final Journey (Eldar)

Oh boy it's time to screw up our entire alliance! It's time for a good ol' fashioned betrayal though in fairness they could have just let me go where I wasn't authorised to so I don't get what the big deal is fuckin' Imperials.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
'Eldar' is a thing in Lord of the Rings, for the record, as a formal name for the elves.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Tau have some great dialogue when attacking the Chaos stronghold. I can't remember any other stand outs though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

'Eldar' is a thing in Lord of the Rings, for the record, as a formal name for the elves.

Honestly at this point it feels like a situation where, if they did have a copyright claim, it's been unenforced for too long. In the US at least, if you don't enforce your copyright claim you can lose it. Which is why you get situations where companies will file claims even in situations where they're obviously wrong, because they want to avoid a situation where the next guy might point to and and say 'by not filing it there you surrendered your right to claim it'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gothsheep posted:

Honestly at this point it feels like a situation where, if they did have a copyright claim, it's been unenforced for too long. In the US at least, if you don't enforce your copyright claim you can lose it. Which is why you get situations where companies will file claims even in situations where they're obviously wrong, because they want to avoid a situation where the next guy might point to and and say 'by not filing it there you surrendered your right to claim it'.

Possibly, but all this started after GW tried suing someone else for using the term 'Space Marine' and lost. So Eldar are now Aeldari, Craftworlds are now Asuryani, Dark Eldar are now Drukhari, Imperial Guard are now Astra Militarum, stormtroopers are now Militarium Tempestus, etc.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Possibly, but all this started after GW tried suing someone else for using the term 'Space Marine' and lost. So Eldar are now Aeldari, Craftworlds are now Asuryani, Dark Eldar are now Drukhari, Imperial Guard are now Astra Militarum, stormtroopers are now Militarium Tempestus, etc.

Ooooh I get it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

You're thinking of trademarks. Copyrights have a fixed (and ludicrous) expiration date but need not be actively defended. Trademarks can last theoretically forever so long as you keep using and defending them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

Which is weird because where else use Craftworlds?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Veloxyll posted:

Which is weird because where else use Craftworlds?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/Craft_The_World/
Squint and you find a way.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

White Coke posted:

The Tau have some great dialogue when attacking the Chaos stronghold. I can't remember any other stand outs though.

The necrons apparently get some sick burns on eliphas, at least it is implied as such

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is just disgusting. Let's have a truce against the chaos and orks *spends more time fighting the guard than either of the other two factions
:argh:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

mortons stork posted:

The necrons apparently get some sick burns on eliphas, at least it is implied as such

Gorgutz has some great lines, and all Eliphas's lines are great. I like Alexander a lot as well.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Poil posted:

This is just disgusting. Let's have a truce against the chaos and orks *spends more time fighting the guard than either of the other two factions

The words of the truce had barely left their mouths before the sound of cocking shotguns could be heard.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poil posted:

I mentioned it in a previous video but hey, you should see the other faction!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if the psychic shield is meant to be based on Gellar Field technology, hence why it needs power. Gellar Fields, for the uninitiated, are what allow ships to travel through the warp without everyone aboard being eaten by daemons. If it fails, you generally have A Bad Time. Unless you're Orks, in which case you get to have a fight on the way to another fight! :orks101:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if the psychic shield is meant to be based on Gellar Field technology, hence why it needs power. Gellar Fields, for the uninitiated, are what allow ships to travel through the warp without everyone aboard being eaten by daemons. If it fails, you generally have A Bad Time. Unless you're Orks, in which case you get to have a fight on the way to another fight! :orks101:

ah, good ol Tuska Daemon-Killer, the only 40k denizen who gets a happy ending

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

The beginning of the recent Ork centric book Brutal Kunnin' is fantastic on a related note.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. This thread inspired me to reinstall Dawn of War: Soulstorm for the first time in years (off the disc), and it didn't end well. Noticed it was running slowly and had frame rate issues in general, presumably due to my computer being beyond the specs it was designed for. Then it crashed my computer when I tried to save mid-battle. I can take the hint.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough I haven't had any issues with Soulstorm. The only crashes have clearly been mod related and outside of it not suddenly wanting to boot (probably because I removed some mod files) it's been running well.
I was going to say smoothly but I've had some FPS drops when the battles get big. And that's even without me playing with UA because when I tried it the game crashed. :v:

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Welp. This thread inspired me to reinstall Dawn of War: Soulstorm for the first time in years (off the disc), and it didn't end well. Noticed it was running slowly and had frame rate issues in general, presumably due to my computer being beyond the specs it was designed for. Then it crashed my computer when I tried to save mid-battle. I can take the hint.

I tried the same with the Steam version and had a similar experience - are there any tips from folks more knowledgeable on getting the game running on modern machines?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

happyphage posted:

I tried the same with the Steam version and had a similar experience - are there any tips from folks more knowledgeable on getting the game running on modern machines?

That pretty much sums up the experience.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

happyphage posted:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That pretty much sums up the experience.

I played through the whole series on the steam version without any issues recently, even installing mods, so unfortunately I don't have anything in the way of troubleshooting tips to offer. Make sure the game is running the graphical config test and installing the visual C++ redistributable before the first run (you can do these manually if you're not sure), and make sure your antivirus isn't screwing with the DLL files the game is trying to load. Windowed mode may behave better than full screen (I only used windowed and never tried full screen).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rorahusky posted:

The words of the truce had barely left their mouths before the sound of cocking shotguns could be heard.

To be fair, the IG obviously left the Eldar to die too when it came down to it, though I was amused to note Taldeer does her little speech she obviously doesn't even give a crap at all the IG dying in front of her while Sturnn had at least the courtesy to address her when he screwed her over. Also Taldeer drops the alliance even faster than the IG it seems, though I'm surprised she didn't arrange some sort of "move our base where we can help" agreement (or at least trick). Not very good at verbal manipulation, is she?

Also, can you swap back and forth between the Eldar and IG even after the truce breaks? Seems like a bit of a shock to the player if they followed the objectives blindly after swapping to Eldar and get surprised and locked into playing as them otherwise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More 40k Imperial Guard trivia:

The sentinels we see in Dawn of War 1, although used by explicitly Cadian regiments in Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, aren't actually the standard sentinels used by Cadian regiments. On the tabletop, sentinels like most units have a variety of weapon and equipment upgrades, and 40k fluff calls various specific loadouts 'patterns,' typically named after the planet where they were first produced (or the only planet that still makes them) or the force that pioneered their use.

The Cadian pattern of sentinel is the basic sentinel you know from Dawn of War 2 if you've played that: open cockpit and armed with an anti-infantry multilaser.

What the Cadian 412th uses in this game, though, is the Armageddon pattern of sentinel, with an armored cockpit and a lascannon. The planet Armageddon has a toxic and corrosive atmosphere, so they enclose and seal the crew compartments of all their vehicles, and the Armageddon Steel Legion regiments favor then arming their sentinels with lascannons to operate as highly mobile tank hunters.

While the sentinel design for Dawn of War was obviously chosen based on gameplay and aesthetic considerations, you could read into the fluff implications if you want. Most likely, the Cadian 412th fought in the First or Second War of Armageddon (or both) and adopted the sentinel design the native Guard regiments use.

The other patterns of vehicles used in Dawn of War are the default versions you'd expect Cadians to have.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

Olesh posted:

I played through the whole series on the steam version without any issues recently, even installing mods, so unfortunately I don't have anything in the way of troubleshooting tips to offer. Make sure the game is running the graphical config test and installing the visual C++ redistributable before the first run (you can do these manually if you're not sure), and make sure your antivirus isn't screwing with the DLL files the game is trying to load. Windowed mode may behave better than full screen (I only used windowed and never tried full screen).

This and do yourselves a favor and go look at Ultimate Apocalypse's Moddb page! You don't need to download the main mod (unless you want to run it obviously) but grabbing the LAA fix is very important.

LAA- that is, Large Address Awareness- adjusts the game to use more of your computer's ram and smooths FPS/prevents crashes/etc.

As well, keeping your graphics on Medium or Low specifically for Soulstorm is recommended, doubly so during Stronghold battles. For some godforsaken reason Soulstorm likes to run out of memory and fail to create proper dump files at the end of Stronghold battles- whether or not you snag the LAA, always, always, always make sure you drop a save game before winning a Stronghold battle so that you don't lose an hour or so of progress.

Edit: Necron Stronghold specifically in Dark Crusade has the same issue, supposedly. It's been a while since I've played through Dark Crusade.

Das Panzer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 17, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Das Panzer posted:

Edit: Necron Stronghold specifically in Dark Crusade has the same issue, supposedly. It's been a while since I've played through Dark Crusade.

Speaking of...Roboky, I assume you're going to use the Tau to show off the Necron stronghold mission. And hoo boy is that a mission.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

While the sentinel design for Dawn of War was obviously chosen based on gameplay and aesthetic considerations, you could read into the fluff implications if you want. Most likely, the Cadian 412th fought in the First or Second War of Armageddon (or both) and adopted the sentinel design the native Guard regiments use.

If they'd fought in the First War of Armageddon they'd have been liquidated.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is there ever any explanation for why the Imperium originally settled all of these awful, awful planets like Catachan or Armaggedon in the first place?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mordja posted:

So is there ever any explanation for why the Imperium originally settled all of these awful, awful planets like Catachan or Armaggedon in the first place?

That was all pre-Imperium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NGDBSS posted:

You're thinking of trademarks. Copyrights have a fixed (and ludicrous) expiration date but need not be actively defended. Trademarks can last theoretically forever so long as you keep using and defending them.

Yes and no, not enforcing your copyrights can make recovering damages in court cases more difficult, but your copyrights are essentually for forever and a day. That's why you can have companies like Sega that almost cultivate copyright infringement with their Sonic Fandom, but can still DMCA anything that gets too out of hand

Gothsheep posted:

Speaking of...Roboky, I assume you're going to use the Tau to show off the Necron stronghold mission. And hoo boy is that a mission.

I mean, the mission has to be shown off, might as well use the blue boys....