Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea not sure I agree with the whole 'forget about it when you clock out' stuff, at least on my side when those thoughts come up it's more 'I just think maybe working with my hands and seeing tangible progress in my job even as basic as 'shelf was empty, I fill shelf, good' would be more satisfying than editing papers and poo poo' which I 100% acknowledge is monkey brain grass is greener poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

n8r posted:

To think people that work at Costco don’t think about their jobs or how it effects their self worth is kinda arrogant. People who work all kinda of jobs have similar issues even if they aren’t ‘purely intellectual’. Try getting over yourself.

Yeah, I'll admit I don't know what these jobs are like. But that's kind of the problem since the appeal for these jobs that I feel are likely based on uninformed views. I imagine Wiger is suffering from similar delusions.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
In my 20's I worked in grocery stores, warehouses, assembly, and manufacturing and now I work at a computer at home editing and reading all day. You can absolutely treat those jobs as a clock in and clock out don't think about it outside of work thing at first, but they always involve working with other people and relying on each other. The relationships aspect always builds up, and that changes how you think about any job.

I do miss how physical those jobs were since it was a lot easier to stay in good shape.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

You can absolutely treat those jobs as a clock in and clock out don't think about it outside of work thing at first, but they always involve working with other people and relying on each other. The relationships aspect always builds up, and that changes how you think about any job.

Yeah this is the big thing with any job where you’re working with people (which is most jobs). Your coworker being a dumbass or an rear end in a top hat is going to get to you eventually and you’re going to think about it outside of working hours. The only job I’ve had that I can think of where that didn’t really happen was when I worked in the stacks in college shelving and shifting books. Man that job ruled.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There are professional football players, pilots, and surgeons treating their job as clock in clock out. Just because you’re an upper middle class white person it doesn’t mean you have to care about your job.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

drainpipe posted:

As someone whose work is purely intellectual, I've had similar thoughts to Wiger. There is an allure to a job that's just a job, where you can forget about it as soon as you clock out, and where your reputation and self worth is not dependent on how well you perform your job.

I'm also aware that this is most likely just "grass is greener on the other side" feelings.

I've done both and it's genuinely a great feeling to look at something physical and be like "I did that." It's something you don't really get with like, an office job.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mennoknight posted:

I 100% get it. I miss working at a hot tub factory when I'm knee deep in meetings and scheduling and budgeting. then I remember that once I almost dropped a skid full of covers weighing 800 pounds on a guys head and I think, yeah, I belong behind this desk

Yeah there are some pluses to retail over offices. Most customers are nice and interesting to talk to, and you get to interact with a much larger coworker group than an office. Got paid for OT.

Past that yeah no way I’d want to go back. Even little stuff like if I need to use the bathroom or get a snack I can walk away from my desk and no one bats an eye, no need to ask supervisor permission or feel like I’m abandoning a cashier. If something comes up an I’m late to work just have to shoot a quick email to coworkers and it’s not a disciplinary issue.

As I said before Costco does treat workers well but it’s nothing to romanticize and you aren’t sampling all the products. Wiger could try folding stacks of clothes until 11pm or pushing carts when it’s above 90 for eight hours without being able to listen to his iPhone, that’s the Costco working experience.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I hated working in grocery stores and warehouses and I still do. Lots of little things in jobs like that, like how management will frequently treat all the employees like braindead children and prevent them from doing things that might harm "productivity" like listening to music or podcasts during a repetitive nighttime stocking job in a closed store.

I've only had one job in my life where I didn't have to move tons of boxes of poo poo and constantly dig around a bunch of shelves. I definitely enjoyed not having to do those things, even though the job was dull and repetitive.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I've done both and it's genuinely a great feeling to look at something physical and be like "I did that." It's something you don't really get with like, an office job.

I never got that feeling from retail. You straighten up all the lightbulb boxes on the shelves and in an hour they’re all messed up again. It felt sisyphean.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Casey Finnigan posted:

I hated working in grocery stores and warehouses and I still do. Lots of little things in jobs like that, like how management will frequently treat all the employees like braindead children and prevent them from doing things that might harm "productivity" like listening to music or podcasts during a repetitive nighttime stocking job in a closed store.

I've only had one job in my life where I didn't have to move tons of boxes of poo poo and constantly dig around a bunch of shelves. I definitely enjoyed not having to do those things, even though the job was dull and repetitive.

This pisses me off to no end. So many jobs would be tolerable with podcasts but every manager will probably power trip over headphones

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
anyone who romanticizes a shelf stocking job would do well to listen to a street fight call in show and hear one of any number of lovely job stories to disabuse them of that notion

wiger included

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I feel like Nick was just using a Costco job as an example of "opposite of what I'm doing right now" rather than the exact lane he wants his life to take. It's pretty clear that he's burning out on the entertainment industry as a whole - Mike going on a rant about how his funny friends deserving work and how he loves Nick being the kicker to this. He's maybe looking for alternatives, and the Costco thing is on-brand with the Doughboys this year.

That being said, this was a top-10, maybe top-5 episode for me. I was tearing up at the messages at the beginning, and it's wild more goons aren't talking about Nick on a cross sucking his own dick.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I liked Mitch’s long term plan to never have kids to maximize his own Xmas haul.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Mitch guests on an amazingly fun Canadian hangout podcast called Stop Podcasting Yourself today. All their PFT eps are classics too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As usual, the christmas double is a fantastic bit of radio theater

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah but Betsy Sodaro's entire career in comedy has to be some sort of make-a-wish after which the patient miraculously pulled through

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
I've been re-watching LOVE on Netflix and been really delighted with Mitch and all the LA comedy scene folks popping up. I watched it when it aired, before I got into the podcast or any comedy podcasts, and I just really hated Randy. Now, I'm delighted by his sad crying. Or how he's introduced into the main plot with a mention of him going to two fast food restaurants to create a super meal.

It's not a perfect show (Jesus christ app "culture" of the mid teens was really omnipresent and unbearable, like stop talking about loving Uber, they're gonna manipulate the electorate in a few years you dingdongs!!) but I'm genuinely surprised by all the performances. Like, these are the same guys who venerate the Wendy's Spicy Chicken and watch Garfield holiday specials, but they're giving actual dramatic performances.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
LOVE is a show where I'm down with every side character (save apatow's daughter's character) but never could give much of a poo poo about the main arc. And when they did one of those scenes where they're doing improv acoustic songs, noooope.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Didn’t Mitch get paid some dogshit amount of money for Love? It was part of Jack Allison’s spiel on why Netflix screws actors that aren’t the top billed star

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
probably, I can't imagine Netflix pays super great for anyone unless you're the headline star of a huge advertised project

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I was kinda thinking about downgrading from the double but this was a lot of fun so I guess I'll stick around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Consummate Professional posted:

I was kinda thinking about downgrading from the double but this was a lot of fun so I guess I'll stick around.

yea the double can be hit or miss but when it hits it hits real hard. Plus I can't really think of a full on 'bad' one so I guess unless my situation changes I'm keeping it even if sometimes I don't much care about the topic.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Imagine trying to cancel the double and potentially missing out on THE SCALE 2

all the music episodes are bad

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Dr.Radical posted:

Didn’t Mitch get paid some dogshit amount of money for Love? It was part of Jack Allison’s spiel on why Netflix screws actors that aren’t the top billed star
I remember reading that Paul and Judd Apatow were pushing to get Mitch added as a regular cast member starting in season 2 which would have substantially increased his pay but Netflix flat out refused.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea the double can be hit or miss but when it hits it hits real hard. Plus I can't really think of a full on 'bad' one so I guess unless my situation changes I'm keeping it even if sometimes I don't much care about the topic.

The mailbag eps are great. Plus the WWE cookbook ep was a double. And their movie reviews! Jaws was great.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

Sloth Socks posted:

It's not a perfect show (Jesus christ app "culture" of the mid teens was really omnipresent and unbearable, like stop talking about loving Uber, they're gonna manipulate the electorate in a few years you dingdongs!!) but I'm genuinely surprised by all the performances.

This is one of these things that bother me with almost all podcasts as a European commie. Why do these people I like keep using these services run by terrible people and where all the people that do the actual work don't make a living wage and have terrible working conditions. It's not like it's a secret that they all suck. Bums me out so bad.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

This is one of these things that bother me with almost all podcasts as a European commie. Why do these people I like keep using these services run by terrible people and where all the people that do the actual work don't make a living wage and have terrible working conditions. It's not like it's a secret that they all suck. Bums me out so bad.

Convenience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

because you need to get from point A to B, taxis cost more than the Uber so you can't afford it, and your public transportation is a joke that can't get you there quickly?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mitch and Nick could afford it but they're men of the people so go for Ubers anyway.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
just started the latest ep and all I have to say is "wow"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wow

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
wow!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
he won't make it to march

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he'll break before he even finds that baguette but I respect the effort.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Nick's plan: wow!

Having Peleton lady on: wow

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
nick you coward go full vegan

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Audio quality of the guests was so bad I had to bail.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1349070790185009152?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Poor Mitch. Here he was, co-starring in a fun big budget action movie with a big movie star and instead it’s going to end up on Netflix, where it will trend on Twitter for 6 hours before becoming completely lost in our cultural consciousness like 95% of Netflix movies/TV shows these days.