Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

A major breakthrough for Sauli Pylvänäinen. Also, in Finland pee is stored in the trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Finlayson, a fabric manufacturer in my town, have been selling Moomin things for some time now, but they are normally quite expensive. Yesterday they were having a 60% off sale. So I am now a bit more Moomin-minded.

(that's a duvet cover, a table cloth and an oven mitt, which is what I originally went in to buy)

I hope you bought enough for the whole thread. :colbert:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 28, 1943)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

This is the primo wizard content I crave.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

This rules so much. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Incredible. :swoon:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

*Gasp* Oh my God, that cat is my exact double! *Gasp* Oh my God, that rabbit has a poofy tail!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Oh that last panel

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 10, 1999)

With this thread as my witness I will never become a "White sneakers guy"

If I ever become a "White sneakers guy" it will be a sign that I am too far gone, I give you permission to take me out.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

i'm glad Alec and Betty love each other this much :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Absolutely spectacular :allears:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I thought that Thompson had invented these guys, but no, they were all real except for Uncle Sid. Me, I'm not quite old enough to have been around in the era of local TV kids' hosts, unless you count Bob McAllister on Wonderama on Saturdays.
I remember Captain 20.

https://vimeo.com/61883599

They showed this all the time when I was a kid. He also did a thing where he told us how to make snacks, one of which was called an Irish Limey. At the end of that he says "Blimey! It's an Irish Limey!" I have never been able to find that, but it is etched into my brain somehow. I want to say the snack itself was a drink consisting of ice cream and milk with I think green food coloring.

F Minus

Mark Trail

:lol: The talking animals is good.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

OK I didn't like the arc for some reason but that's a good gag to end it.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Did this just go full circle? Is this a time warp?
What is going on?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

I remember Captain 20.

https://vimeo.com/61883599

They showed this all the time when I was a kid. He also did a thing where he told us how to make snacks, one of which was called an Irish Limey. At the end of that he says "Blimey! It's an Irish Limey!" I have never been able to find that, but it is etched into my brain somehow. I want to say the snack itself was a drink consisting of ice cream and milk with I think green food coloring.

Yeah, Count Gore De Vol and Captain 20 were a big part of childhood for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Gore_de_Vol

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy is Jealous

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

El Spamo posted:

Did this just go full circle? Is this a time warp?
What is going on?

I think that's the idea, it loops.

"Heh," I guess. Not quite the strong finish I was expecting.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Oh Mr. Boop isn't over yet, its ok

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe's web archives

Ice Cream Primaries

Banjo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay I'm new to this thread, having just jumped on board at the start of this year. So is it possible somebody could give me the Cliff's Notes version of what the gently caress is going on in Mr. Boop? Without context it is deeply disturbing, though I'm getting the impression it's not much less disturbing with context, either.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I thought that Thompson had invented these guys, but no, they were all real except for Uncle Sid. Me, I'm not quite old enough to have been around in the era of local TV kids' hosts, unless you count Bob McAllister on Wonderama on Saturdays.

The urban legend of a kid cursing out Bozo the Clown on live TV is, sadly, unverifiable.

Oh, and if you're wondering what the pun in Count Gore De Vol's name is: Gore Vidal.

Bonus Ad! Tea! Tea! TEA!!!

https://youtu.be/gzakwQ9nJVk

Thompson really did his homework on this one

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay I'm new to this thread, having just jumped on board at the start of this year. So is it possible somebody could give me the Cliff's Notes version of what the gently caress is going on in Mr. Boop? Without context it is deeply disturbing, though I'm getting the impression it's not much less disturbing with context, either.

you can read the archives at mr boop dot net

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

he was happily married to betty boop
her father sued them to make them get divorced
he then entered the real world and met a girl named liz
he slowly descended into boop based madness

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MockingQuantum posted:

Mr. Boop started out as a comic about Alec, who is married to Betty Boop, and they're super in love and everything is perfect, and the tension is thus insane things like 'Bugs Bunny wants to shoot Alec to seduce Betty'. At some point 'Mr. Boop' ended and 'Mr. Mr. Boop' began, starring the real Alec, the cartoonist. He meets a fan named Liz and they really hit it off! Slowly it becomes obvious Alec is rewriting what actually happens in his interactions with Liz to make things seem way more perfect and Alec-centric than they actually are, all the while starting to refer to her as Betty. This is where you started to read.

EDIT: If it helps it's strongly implied Liz broke up with him and got the hell out of dodge when he wouldn't cut that poo poo out so Betty is now just fully a fantasy figure, once again.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Watching old commercial blocks with friends in synctube and seeing the various local kid's show hosts and Friday night horror hosts makes that almanac page really hit a good spot. We need more of both of those things these days.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Coming soon: Mr. Mr. Mr. Boop

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a recursive boop loop

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Comic Strips 2021: Gödel, Escher, Boop

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

Comic Strips 2021: Gödel, Escher, Boop

Seconding this :golfclap:
Adding the subtitle: An Eternal Golden Comic Strip.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hopefully this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaunpgFlL9Q

Ew! A young woman has found herself attracted to an athletic man her age! She is right to be embarrassed about this shameful display!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

I've known Lottie and Mildred since they were little, it's weird seeing them driving cars and stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Seconding this :golfclap:
Adding the subtitle: An Eternal Golden Comic Strip.

I was also considering I Am A Strange Boop

Hofstadter provides

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Excellent Prince Valiant, drat.

The Shadow Jul. 17th, 1940

Axa For gently caress's sake, guys...

Ah, the '70s. All biotruth-y and poo poo. That said though, these women designed a fully functioning underwater domed city some time before 1980 when poo poo went down, and right now we have zero fully functioning underwater domed cities...

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

If it's any comfort not everyone agreed that it ever belonged in the thread in the first place which is why I didn't mention it in the OP. Well, that and it had been so long since it had been posted, and the reaction to the later strips was so negative that I wasn't expecting it to come back.

The literal justification How Wonderful! had for Mr. Boop being thread appropriate is that she liked it to a modern day Tijuana Bible. So if you're interpreting it as deeply disturbing you are indeed interpreting it correctly.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

catlord posted:

Axa For gently caress's sake, guys...

Ah, the '70s. All biotruth-y and poo poo. That said though, these women designed a fully functioning underwater domed city some time before 1980 when poo poo went down, and right now we have zero fully functioning underwater domed cities...

I would expect that execution of an underwater construction project of this scale would actually take very technically skilled labor, so -something- about this Sexy Matriarchy isn't adding up to me. Maybe if Axa swooned over some more cute boys I'll figure it out.

Some Guy TT posted:

If it's any comfort not everyone agreed that it ever belonged in the thread in the first place which is why I didn't mention it in the OP. Well, that and it had been so long since it had been posted, and the reaction to the later strips was so negative that I wasn't expecting it to come back.

The literal justification How Wonderful! had for Mr. Boop being thread appropriate is that she liked it to a modern day Tijuana Bible. So if you're interpreting it as deeply disturbing you are indeed interpreting it correctly.

FWIW it's done on twitter/its own website, and there really aren't that many strips left to be posted here. Just skip by it and it will be gone soon enough.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Green Intern posted:

I would expect that execution of an underwater construction project of this scale would actually take very technically skilled labor, so -something- about this Sexy Matriarchy isn't adding up to me. Maybe if Axa swooned over some more cute boys I'll figure it out.

That too! Also, I just want to say, I have no sympathy for Jason. Maybe don't talk poo poo, my dude?

Edit: I get what Mr. Boop's going for, but I have to say I much preferred the earlier stories. I really liked it up through Endgame.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 9, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 27, 1933)

Peanuts (January 11, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 2-4, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 12-14, 1917)

Dok's "...Life Is But A Dream" Duck (May 31, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this kliban cartoon

inspired me: