Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a RTX 3080 for 1440p 165Hz gaming. The card is too much only in games like CS or dota. Any recent games or even Witcher 3 it is barely enough. I would not use any slower card with 1440p+ high refresh rate monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s not like the monitor explodes if you’re only outputting 100 FPS. I would just make sure the high refresh rate monitor also supports GSync and FreeSync.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cr0y posted:

I have an older i5 desktop with an Asrock Fatal1ty board in it (H97). My primary monitor is hooked upto an old GTX970 over DVI (the hdmi port is tied up by an oculus rift). What is a good cheap option for an additional video card I could add to support two additional HDMI or DVI monitors? I don't need a lot of GPU horsepower on the second and third monitor, just want more real estate.

These are the available slots on the board:

You're likely better off getting a 4 port single GPU for this task. They definitely exist now. Gives the added benefit of a beefier card.

Ihmemies posted:

I have a RTX 3080 for 1440p 165Hz gaming. The card is too much only in games like CS or dota. Any recent games or even Witcher 3 it is barely enough. I would not use any slower card with 1440p+ high refresh rate monitors.

I think either something is wrong or you're bottlenecked elsewhere. a 3080 should gently caress up Witcher 3.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3618-nvidia-rtx-3080-founders-edition-review-benchmarks

On a proper setup, GN ended up with 328FPS on Rainbow Six Siege at 1440p on Ultra settings.

For more graphically intense current games that aren't focused on FPS but on pretty, you're not going to get 165fps on max settings. That's expected. And if you're playing single player, you're not going to notice a real difference between 165 vs 144 or even vs like 100.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ihmemies posted:

This doesn't make any sense at all. Your monitor isn't going to explode because you are getting too many frames in CS. CS is also like 8 years old of course it's going to give you all the frames. It should also be fine for Witcher 3. Also besides Cyberpunk, my 2070S + 3700x was absolutely perfectly fine for 1440p gaming on my high refresh monitor.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You're likely better off getting a 4 port single GPU for this task. They definitely exist now. Gives the added benefit of a beefier card.

Not really looking to upgrade to a super pricy primary GPU as this desktop is mostly just treading water until I build a new Ryzen gaming rig. Will a second GPU not work?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
is anyone planning on doing a update of that MikeC post anytime soon? i find them very handy for quickly speccing things out without using something awful like LI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A 3080 is also going to hit 165 FPS in very few recent games at max details. You’re never gonna stay at the top for long, or with much.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
RAM - 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18? Does it even matter? To get 3600 CL16 I'd have to add 35 to the price (32gb)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Not what I was hoping to see!

At least this was easily caught before I even attempted to install it. Seems to have leaked someplace between the inline pump and the heatsink/part that attaches to the CPU. This was going to be my first foray into water cooling in something like 20 years of PC building, and needless to say, I am now a lil scared.

Returning this and going with... well, a Corsair case & AIO kit from the local Best Buy, whatever man. (I thought Corsair was known for good RAM? ...in the 90s?) I just don't want to RMA anything else through the mail that involves liquids and radiators!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I dont see whats controversial about that. I've been playing The Division 2 and getting lows in the 80s at 1440p which is also a game from Mar 2019 with a 2080ti. If I was buying this gen for a long time I wouldn't consider the 3080 overkill, especially given ~the vram thing~ and no expectation of a super available 3070ti any time soon.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I think either something is wrong or you're bottlenecked elsewhere. a 3080 should gently caress up Witcher 3.

This post made me nervous because with my 5600x and 3080 I get ~130fps in Witcher 3 at 1440p (which I wouldn't consider 'barely enough', it runs smooth as butter and looks great), but checking benchmarks it should have been up at ~170ish. Reading the small print I saw they had nvidia hairworks disabled, which I duly did and then immediately gained 40fps so that's probably it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cr0y posted:

Not really looking to upgrade to a super pricy primary GPU as this desktop is mostly just treading water until I build a new Ryzen gaming rig. Will a second GPU not work?

Your motherboard already integrated Intel GPU, just use that. You probably need to go to BIOS to enable it. Advanced - Chipset Configuration - IGPU Multi-Monitor.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I got my bios flashed successfully after buying a new USB and everything seems to be working great except for the RAM, when i try to go dual channel with a 16gb stick in A2 and B2, it wont boot at all, i can boot with ram in either A1-A2, but no ram in B1-B2, Anybody ever seen anything like this? it recognized both sticks when i put them both in the A slot for 32gb single channel ram, which i guess it okay for now. Will it be much of a performance hit?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What do you actually need to flash one of these new motherboards for 5000 compatibility, without having a cpu installed?

Motherboard, PSU, USB stick (formatted to FAT32 I assume)? Anything else?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PirateBob posted:

Anything else?

Nope

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

How long does it take? How do you know if it's done and you can unplug the stick?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

PirateBob posted:

How long does it take? How do you know if it's done and you can unplug the stick?

Check the documentation for your specific motherboard.

As a general guide, usually you'll connect the psu and mobo (24 pin and cpu pin), plug in and turn on the psu so the mobo is being powered, plug in your USB stick to the bios flash USB port and press the flash button for a second. You should see the indicator light come on and start blinking which means the update is in progress. When the blinking stops is when the update is complete and it's safe to turn off. The whole process is supposed to take less than 5 minutes but can be a little longer.

Again though, read and double check the documentation for your specific motherboard. It can be finicky, motherboards prefer old as poo poo USB sticks and also the filename needs to be exactly right.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I got my bios flashed successfully after buying a new USB and everything seems to be working great except for the RAM, when i try to go dual channel with a 16gb stick in A2 and B2, it wont boot at all, i can boot with ram in either A1-A2, but no ram in B1-B2, Anybody ever seen anything like this? it recognized both sticks when i put them both in the A slot for 32gb single channel ram, which i guess it okay for now. Will it be much of a performance hit?

RMA that poo poo.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Yeah that’s probably the right answer. Bleh I was super excited for all this

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Check the documentation for your specific motherboard.

As a general guide, usually you'll connect the psu and mobo (24 pin and cpu pin), plug in and turn on the psu so the mobo is being powered, plug in your USB stick to the bios flash USB port and press the flash button for a second. You should see the indicator light come on and start blinking which means the update is in progress. When the blinking stops is when the update is complete and it's safe to turn off. The whole process is supposed to take less than 5 minutes but can be a little longer.

Again though, read and double check the documentation for your specific motherboard. It can be finicky, motherboards prefer old as poo poo USB sticks and also the filename needs to be exactly right.

Thanks.

I'm reading that they're finicky, and that USB 2.0 sticks are more likely to work.

Does anyone have a name of a USB 2.0 stick that has worked to bios flash an MSI B550 motherboard?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Notes on build:

1) Windows 10 Education sucks, because you have to use your school login to setup. I'll have to look at how to disable that.

2) I haven't built a PC in about 15 years. I wish I had pictures of my previous builds in pre-take-pics-of-everything era, but I made some clean PCs. New builds are a bit more involved, with more headers and stuff, but overall very similar with cases that make it easy to hide cables.

3) RGB is fun, but now I have to find out how to make icue, Asus Aura, and maybe even EVGA 1080Ti RGB play nice with each other (icue and Aura seem pretty easy, EVGA may be an outlier).

Thanks again for the help, thread, it was fun!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Notes on build:

1) Windows 10 Education sucks, because you have to use your school login to setup. I'll have to look at how to disable that.

2) I haven't built a PC in about 15 years. I wish I had pictures of my previous builds in pre-take-pics-of-everything era, but I made some clean PCs. New builds are a bit more, with more headers and stuff, but overall very similar with cases that make it easy to hide cases.

3) RGB is fun, but now I have to find out how to make icue, Asus Aura, and maybe even EVGA 1080Ti RGB play nice with each other (icue and Aura seem pretty easy, EVGA may be an outlier).

And a 1080 Ti! Nice find.

Also, there’s a person in SA Mart who sells Windows Pro keys for $10 or so. I’ve never had an issue with mine. I don’t know anything about RGB, but I’m glad it’s up and running.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Notes on build:

2) I haven't built a PC in about 15 years. I wish I had pictures of my previous builds in pre-take-pics-of-everything era, but I made some clean PCs. New builds are a bit more involved, with more headers and stuff, but overall very similar with cases that make it easy to hide cables.

Pro tip for that ram: you can control what it does when the computer is asleep and how bright it is at that time.

https://qwertyarticles.com/2020/07/02/fixing-corsair-rgb-ram-running-during-sleep-mode/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PirateBob posted:

Thanks.

I'm reading that they're finicky, and that USB 2.0 sticks are more likely to work.

Does anyone have a name of a USB 2.0 stick that has worked to bios flash an MSI B550 motherboard?
I used one of these with no issues

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082ZGHXK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PirateBob posted:

RAM - 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18? Does it even matter? To get 3600 CL16 I'd have to add 35 to the price (32gb)

Those two are a wash. General rule is 2pts on the CL are about equal to 400Mhz on the clockspeed. The sweetspot right now is considered 3600 CL16, but the performance difference will probably be single-digit percentages, if that. A couple of fps in most games, maybe.
:shrug:

All things considered, $35 is 1-2% of the cost of a rig, so probably a good investment, but if it's where the budget needs to scrimp to make the build you could choose worse things to downgrade. I'd probably go with the 3200 CL16 if I couldn't get the 3600 CL16.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Those two are a wash. General rule is 2pts on the CL are about equal to 400Mhz on the clockspeed. The sweetspot right now is considered 3600 CL16, but the performance difference will probably be single-digit percentages, if that. A couple of fps in most games, maybe.
:shrug:

All things considered, $35 is 1-2% of the cost of a rig, so probably a good investment, but if it's where the budget needs to scrimp to make the build you could choose worse things to downgrade. I'd probably go with the 3200 CL16 if I couldn't get the 3600 CL16.

Go with the 3200 CL16. If you really wanna over clock it you’re more likely to clock good on MHZ then timings.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I use windows 10 edu and you just want to set it up WITH NO NETWORK CONNECTED AT ALL DO NOT CONNECT TO WIFI OR ETHERNET

and you will be fine :D

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My near 9 year old machine has died. "USB Device over current status detected" comes up in POST. I've removed all USB connections to the motherboard and nada.

I'm assuming the motherboard is fecked. The CPU is an i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5GHz and there's 8GB DDR3 RAM at 667Mhz. SSD in use too.

What kind of CPU and RAM combo would beat that performance of that computer these days for general desktop app use?

turbodog
Aug 4, 2009
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? MMO-type gaming
What's your budget? $1000ish but flexible. Already have 3070, case and PS
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 4k / 60

Thoughts on this build if I'm optimizing for quiet operation at idle and load and also won't overclock? Haven't picked a mobo yet but probably will be a B550 and figure that doesn't affect noise one way or the other, or does it?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($121.46 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($177.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $494.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-09 12:33 EST-0500

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've ordered my new pc parts :dance:

Anyone know how the onboard audio is on these modern motherboards? I've ordered the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi. Will the audio quality be good enough and loud enough or should I get a soundcard?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Soundcards went the way of the dodo for the most part, you don't need one

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
While I'm at it...

How much money would I have to part with to get a GPU that can play 4K video (my gtx 970 can't do this) and run PS5 generation games at a decent level? I don't need 4k 165 fps or ultra details. 1440p at 60+ would suffice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PirateBob posted:

While I'm at it...

How much money would I have to part with to get a GPU that can play 4K video (my gtx 970 can't do this) and run PS5 generation games at a decent level? I don't need 4k 165 fps or ultra details. 1440p at 60+ would suffice.
A 3070 runs 1440p at over 60. It's not as good with 4K gaming (not sure about 4K video as I don't have a 4K monitor).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I have this mount and it works great with a Meshify C

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 10, 2021

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

PirateBob posted:

While I'm at it...

A 3070 will do 1440p at high refresh rates (100fps+) no problem. If you want to do 4K, you’ll want to be considering a 3080 or better

The game I’ve been playing the most so far on my 5800x/3070 build is Control. With GFE “recommended” settings (including DLSS and raytracing on) it averages about 100fps for me at 1440p. DLSS is pretty dang magical

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

A 3070 will do 1440p at high refresh rates (100fps+) no problem. If you want to do 4K, you’ll want to be considering a 3080 or better

The game I’ve been playing the most so far on my 5800x/3070 build is Control. With GFE “recommended” settings (including DLSS and raytracing on) it averages about 100fps for me at 1440p. DLSS is pretty dang magical
If I hadn't played all of Control on PS4 already I would be all over that. It chugged badly at times on a PS4 Slim.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My near 9 year old machine has died. "USB Device over current status detected" comes up in POST. I've removed all USB connections to the motherboard and nada.

I'm assuming the motherboard is fecked. The CPU is an i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5GHz and there's 8GB DDR3 RAM at 667Mhz. SSD in use too.

What kind of CPU and RAM combo would beat that performance of that computer these days for general desktop app use?

Your CPU is a quad-core and does not support hyperthreading. These days, 6 cores/12 threads is the baseline most people build with, so you are looking at effectively a 3x increase thread count alone, not to mention the IPC gains. Clock speed alone isn’t the end-all-be-all of performance these days but most CPUs boost to 4.5ghz or more at stock and can be pushed further with good cooling and some tweaking.

People are making the switch to team red en masse, and for good reason. An AMD Ryzen 5600x build with 3600mhz CL16 DDR4 RAM would knock your socks off

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I hadn't played all of Control on PS4 already I would be all over that. It chugged badly at times on a PS4 Slim.

The game is gorgeous with ray tracing. I was sold on it very early on when navigating the executive sector, and could see a baddie around the corner via a reflection in a conference room window in front of me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

vanilla slimfast posted:

Your CPU is a quad-core and does not support hyperthreading. These days, 6 cores/12 threads is the baseline most people build with, so you are looking at effectively a 3x increase thread count alone, not to mention the IPC gains. Clock speed alone isn’t the end-all-be-all of performance these days but most CPUs boost to 4.5ghz or more at stock and can be pushed further with good cooling and some tweaking.

People are making the switch to team red en masse, and for good reason. An AMD Ryzen 5600x build with 3600mhz CL16 DDR4 RAM would knock your socks off

Thanks for the feedback. I take it even a Ryzen 3300X would murder my 3570?

I'm so done with this COVID bollocks. It prevented my FTTP installation going ahead last week after waiting years for it to be rolled out here and has been delayed for nearly 2 months at the least, and the low supply of components is putting up prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you can find a 3300x sure, I think the 3600 seems to be the only older one reliably in stock.