Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh drat, I just remembered that we're getting upgraded Hypostatis bosses this month. I hope they aren't like the cyrovine from the event. That thing sucked to fight. I hope it wasn't a tease of what's to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh drat, I just remembered that we're getting upgraded Hypostatis bosses this month. I hope they aren't like the cyrovine from the event. That thing sucked to fight. I hope it wasn't a tease of what's to come.

If they would let the cryo regisvine scale to the event level and have it guarantee at least 1 purple drop then I'd do it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah once I got the hang of it the cryovine boss wasn't that bad. It was just super easy to lose one or two people if you messed up, and co-op was pointless unless you could guarantee the other folks had a clue and wouldn't just instantly croak.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I carried a lot of noobs through that fight with extremely OP Bennet with the event sword. It was great!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Correct. Also :lol: at people saying she's a crap character, at C5 at least she's a decent carry if you want physical damage.

https://youtu.be/ghiShT-b75o

Even this video seems to claim that she isn't particularly impressive and is just kind of not as good as Razor while requiring a bunch of constellations to get to that point. I'm not seeing it. That's not to say she's useless trash that can't get anything done, but why take her over anyone else? It isn't even a Beidou situation where she's sorta whatever but at least she has a really cool/fun mechanic.

You compare it to the previous 4* addition, Diona, who isn't ultra incredible or anything but it's very easy to see situations where you would want her on your team comp even over other "better" characters because she offers a lot of stuff in one slot-efficient package. She heals, she shields your team (including your co-op team with C2), she's good at cryo application, she can do everything at range, and she's an archer which you typically want at least one of. All without being a constellation-hungry character. Her C6 gives her another unique purpose but it isn't at all necessary for her to have a place.

If a character doesn't have their own niche or at least an ability set that's very unique, I do indeed see little reason for them to exist. I think Miyoho has been quite good about this so far but Xinyan falls short. Hell, I'd say Amber has more of a niche even with Ice Amber+ coming out because at least it gives you an option for the charged shot playstyle without needing a limited-time 5* and she's S tier for torch puzzles.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Corla Plankun posted:

I carried a lot of noobs through that fight with extremely OP Bennet with the event sword. It was great!

My benett was not much help in the AR50 co-op version of the fight because the boss seemingly hits for 14k+ damage and me+party mates were dying in one hit.
Then I dropped into single player and it was easy as pie without the crazy multiplayer scaling.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

Vargs posted:

Even this video seems to claim that she isn't particularly impressive and is just kind of not as good as Razor while requiring a bunch of constellations to get to that point. I'm not seeing it. That's not to say she's useless trash that can't get anything done, but why take her over anyone else? It isn't even a Beidou situation where she's sorta whatever but at least she has a really cool/fun mechanic.

You compare it to the previous 4* addition, Diona, who isn't ultra incredible or anything but it's very easy to see situations where you would want her on your team comp even over other "better" characters because she offers a lot of stuff in one slot-efficient package. She heals, she shields your team (including your co-op team with C2), she's good at cryo application, she can do everything at range, and she's an archer which you typically want at least one of. All without being a constellation-hungry character. Her C6 gives her another unique purpose but it isn't at all necessary for her to have a place.

If a character doesn't have their own niche or at least an ability set that's very unique, I do indeed see little reason for them to exist. I think Miyoho has been quite good about this so far but Xinyan falls short. Hell, I'd say Amber has more of a niche even with Ice Amber+ coming out because at least it gives you an option for the charged shot playstyle without needing a limited-time 5* and she's S tier for torch puzzles.

She's cooler than the other, good, claymore dps. The games easy enough where you can clear even the high end content without being maximally optimized at least

I agree that ideally every character should perfectly fill some kind of niche. Maybe her support build will shine more with a yet unreleased character, although I'm not too hopeful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shes one of the only characters that clears the ice debuff in abyss, that was a big deal before the nerf.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Vargs posted:

I'd say that Xinyan's niche is that she's a Pyro alternative to Razor, with more utility and key differences. Something she has over Razor is easy access to Pyro resonance. Granted, Razor has easy access to superconduct, but Xinyan probably wants to run with Cryo and Electro anyway. She isn't dependent on VV, so that opens space to take another Pyro. Razor probably doesn't want to bring two Pyros just for resonance, because overload can be a pain in the rear end for melee.

Additionally, her ascension stat is ATK, so she has a higher ATK ceiling than Razor. Her A4 passive helps make up some of the difference in Physical DMG% from Razor's ascension. Ditto with her C1 and Razor's burst. Finally, she doesn't have any mechanics that discourage swapping.

I haven't leveled Razor, so I can't truly compare their effectiveness. But my answer to why I'd take her over Razor is because I don't like Razor's selfish playstyle, nor am I too fond of Electro as an element.

Also, I think you're overselling Diona. While she's a staple on my team, her flaws are pretty glaring. Her heal is the most awkward in the game, and her Cryo application is mediocre. Have you tried breaking an Electro Fatui shield with her solo? It's true you usually want a bow user on a team, but isn't that the same with claymore? I do agree that she's great with low constellations while Xinyan is kind of the opposite.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i would slot Xinyan for the combo of shield + shieldbreak ability alone. she's a claymore who can set up overload and her element pulls triple duty as a counter for Fatui/mages/wood Mitachurls. you do get the nice phys boost for anyone in the team while her shield is up as well.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If you have the bell greatsword that enhances your attack when shielded and the shield enhancing artifact set I bet you can get some pretty wild attack boosts with Xinyan.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One thing I found out during co-op is that apparently my artifact stats rolled crazy high +HP for Amber and she's got 15K health and Baron Bunny was taking 9K hits from the flower and not popping.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vargs posted:

Why should there be any more than 4 characters in the game? I'm sure that with enough theorycrafting someone could math out the absolute best team comp. Why have a story? Why have character art? Why have anything that doesn't make number go up?

It's a game. Xinyan is fun.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
diona's cryo application and shield breaking feels really good to me, but I have an R3 sac bow. I would probably replace her with kaeya if I didn't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If you have the bell greatsword that enhances your attack when shielded and the shield enhancing artifact set I bet you can get some pretty wild attack boosts with Xinyan.

The Bell only gives you bonus damage while you're protected by its own shield, which has a 10s duration and 45s cooldown.
And it has an HP substat instead of a useful damage stat, so even if you could get 100% uptime on its 12% damage buff it'd probably still be worse than just using Prototype Aminus/Archaic for the ATK substat.

The only weapons that benefit from generic shields are the new set of Zhongli-themed 5* ones that all have the exact same passive but in different weapon classes: Memory of Dust, Vortex Vanquisher, Unforged, and Summit Shaper.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gandlethorpe posted:

I'd say that Xinyan's niche is that she's a Pyro alternative to Razor, with more utility and key differences. Something she has over Razor is easy access to Pyro resonance. Granted, Razor has easy access to superconduct, but Xinyan probably wants to run with Cryo and Electro anyway. She isn't dependent on VV, so that opens space to take another Pyro. Razor probably doesn't want to bring two Pyros just for resonance, because overload can be a pain in the rear end for melee.

Additionally, her ascension stat is ATK, so she has a higher ATK ceiling than Razor. Her A4 passive helps make up some of the difference in Physical DMG% from Razor's ascension. Ditto with her C1 and Razor's burst. Finally, she doesn't have any mechanics that discourage swapping.

I haven't leveled Razor, so I can't truly compare their effectiveness. But my answer to why I'd take her over Razor is because I don't like Razor's selfish playstyle, nor am I too fond of Electro as an element.

Also, I think you're overselling Diona. While she's a staple on my team, her flaws are pretty glaring. Her heal is the most awkward in the game, and her Cryo application is mediocre. Have you tried breaking an Electro Fatui shield with her solo? It's true you usually want a bow user on a team, but isn't that the same with claymore? I do agree that she's great with low constellations while Xinyan is kind of the opposite.

If you have a Sac Bow, Diona is the best shield breaker in the game.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Bell only gives you bonus damage while you're protected by its own shield, which has a 10s duration and 45s cooldown.
And it has an HP substat instead of a useful damage stat, so even if you could get 100% uptime on its 12% damage buff it'd probably still be worse than just using Prototype Aminus/Archaic for the ATK substat.

The only weapons that benefit from generic shields are the new set of Zhongli-themed 5* ones that all have the exact same passive but in different weapon classes: Memory of Dust, Vortex Vanquisher, Unforged, and Summit Shaper.

drat that really blows, RIP my Theorycrafted immortal DPS Xinyan.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Bell actually works with all shields in the game, including crystallize shields!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

vandiar posted:

The Bell actually works with all shields in the game, including crystallize shields!

In that case the translation team hosed up again :argh:
That does make it a lot less bad though

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Now I have *5 %dmg goblets of each element except pyro for the witch set! One day, slot machine...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vargs posted:

* Pyro claymore (without needing an off-banner 5*)
* Pyro shield generator
* Zero investment fire applier
* Buffs physical

That sounds like a unique enough combination to me. :shrug:

Razeam posted:

Now I have *5 %dmg goblets of each element except pyro for the witch set! One day, slot machine...

Ask me about my large collection of nothing-but-defense 5* witch sands. Also how VV goblet/sands and thunder feathers do not exist.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 8, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Does the 20% elemental skill damage from the gamblers 2 set bonus apply to the little hits from C6 Fischl's Oz and other damage that happens when Oz is out? If so trying to figure out whether that would be better damage than something like 2 set gladiators even though it would have lower overall stats compared to a 5* set like gladiators since it maxes out at 4*.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

Does the 20% elemental skill damage from the gamblers 2 set bonus apply to the little hits from C6 Fischl's Oz and other damage that happens when Oz is out? If so trying to figure out whether that would be better damage than something like 2 set gladiators even though it would have lower overall stats compared to a 5* set like gladiators since it maxes out at 4*.

Related: does it apply to the Oz instance from her Q?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Thank you for your service.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

I don't know if it was you, but I lucked out and got on a team with an insane Bennet and Qiqi who timed their heals just right to completely negate the blizzard's damage. The party stuck together for about 20 runs and healed through all of the environmental damage while we focused on killing the vine as fast as possible.

So to all the Bennet coop players out there, thank you.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

The guides I've seen recommend a 2pc Gambler because all oz damage is elemental skill damage (using the flower for one minimizes the amount of damage stats lost to using 4* pieces). Fischl's burst is also just the flying around as Oz part so the Oz summon after you leave the burst is also all elemental skill damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I saw some interesting talk about TS in electro-charged compositions because the electro charged reaction sticks around and that might actually count towards the TS proc but I'm not sure. Either way that's a little hyper-optimized for my tastes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 8, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait fischl's c6 doesn't have a timer. oh god tart must be nuts why haven't i tried that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

S.J. posted:

If you have a Sac Bow, Diona is the best shield breaker in the game.

Against a solo Fatui and if it procs, maybe. Anemoboxers really like body blocking those hits though. And when you miss it's absolutely miserable to have to charge up her bow, which even has an internal cooldown on Cryo application. Her ult ticks excruciatingly slow as well.

EDIT: Case in point and why I had to kick her out of my Floor 11 team A for Kaeya
https://i.imgur.com/T851mV3.mp4

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 8, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I decided to do 1 more 10 pull on Albedo’s banner and… it gave me 10 weapons. 1 4-star spear (I don’t use any spear users) and 9 3-star dupes. I already have all the 3-star weapons at R5. Just counted and I’m at 69 (nice) pulls now. Not sure if I should keep pulling or just let it rest until the next banner.

E: 10 weapons should be illegal

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 8, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

wait fischl's c6 doesn't have a timer. oh god tart must be nuts why haven't i tried that.
If you don't have 5* weapons it's about a million times better than Diluc Xingqiu.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I currently have C4 Fischl and C1 Xiangling. Is buying Xiangling's C2 from the glitter shop worth it, compared to just Fischl's C5 with a C6 uncertain?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'd wait until EOM to make your mind up. You might pull a spare fishl or Xiangling might be on the next banner.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pope Urbane II posted:

If they would let the cryo regisvine scale to the event level and have it guarantee at least 1 purple drop then I'd do it.

Hey, so I hope you like buffed geo bosses. Like, we're talking "the geo pillars have shields on them" levels of bullshit.

Because I can't see them not being tremendously lovely to fight in some cases given how their mechanics work.

Reiterpallasch posted:

that's pretty much how honkai does it

There's the alternate character types. Everyone has one of them, it seems. Or just about everyone. Genshin has set up lore to justify it as well. This also comes in the form of family members and the like.

The real concern is whether we'll have a Soul Awakened type system that shares XP between characters. Because the grind would be enormous without it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 8, 2021

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Glazius posted:

I currently have C4 Fischl and C1 Xiangling. Is buying Xiangling's C2 from the glitter shop worth it, compared to just Fischl's C5 with a C6 uncertain?

Xiangling's biggest power boost is C4. Probably wouldn't bother buying her for any other one.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Archonex posted:

Hey, so I hope you like buffed geo bosses. Like, we're talking "the geo pillars have shields on them" levels of bullshit.

Because I can't see them not being tremendously lovely to fight in some cases given how their mechanics work.

Yeah, more challenge would be sweet. I can't wait for the adult geovishap boss to get released. Of course, a more interesting way to do a geo boss would be to lean into arena-altering constructs rather than cranking up the HP sponge, but I'll take what I can get.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the clips in both streams mostly showed extra attacks and stage hazards, so it's hard to say what all they scaled. especially when the event has multiple difficulty levels anyway, so there's probably a fit for everyone.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

dogsicle posted:

the clips in both streams mostly showed extra attacks and stage hazards, so it's hard to say what all they scaled. especially when the event has multiple difficulty levels anyway, so there's probably a fit for everyone.

If they're just adding in new attacks then anything goes in terms of how doable they are.

I just hope they don't make it garbage to fight by turning them into sponges or adding bullshit wipe gimmicks like the cyrovine had.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Against a solo Fatui and if it procs, maybe. Anemoboxers really like body blocking those hits though. And when you miss it's absolutely miserable to have to charge up her bow, which even has an internal cooldown on Cryo application. Her ult ticks excruciatingly slow as well.

EDIT: Case in point and why I had to kick her out of my Floor 11 team A for Kaeya
https://i.imgur.com/T851mV3.mp4

Diona is inarguably a 4* utility character in the same way that Jean is a 5* utility character. She does several distinct helpful things kinda poorly, but in cases where "kinda poorly" is good enough then you can bring her and save those character slots to stack more damage or whatever. (You can make her work for the thunder hammer guys if you save both your ult and your skill for them, there's usually only one hammer bro per wave).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Toraen posted:

The guides I've seen recommend a 2pc Gambler because all oz damage is elemental skill damage (using the flower for one minimizes the amount of damage stats lost to using 4* pieces). Fischl's burst is also just the flying around as Oz part so the Oz summon after you leave the burst is also all elemental skill damage.

Oz's damage is based / scaled on Fischl's attack. I thought it said this on her talent screen but can't find it now.
I use her pretty much just as an Oz machine and slapped reject atk and atk% artifacts on her.

Is EM a good move if Oz is triggering some of the reactions? Would an electro damage goblet help more than another attack increase? Oz can crit, but is that based of Fischl's crit stats?