Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Aegis armor is not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Was that poo poo fiberglass? What were they thinking?!?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There is a version of that fight Big Dill wins, but they made a driving error or two

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Someone said Kevlar and that poo poo's great for stopping bullets (Or hammers in Battlebots' case) but borderline useless against shredding and stabbing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
omg who signed off on these enormous discovery+ chyrons that cover like 1/3rd of the screen.

Witch doctor thrown off again. They seem to have a fatal flaw in that weapon this year

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Close one. Witch Doctor tore a bunch of chunks out of them, but Kraken did gently caress up their weapon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kraken worked for once

Good for them :unsmith:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Yeah, Kraken is uncharacteristically good this year, I hope they keep it up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's crazy they let Hydra win that one... At least Beta was actually able to fire it's main weapon...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Going off the Pinning rules, there is a case Hydra should have been DQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Going off the Pinning rules, there is a case Hydra should have been DQ

Can the refs dock points? He gave Hydra a warning but then never followed it up with anything. Is DQ the only next step?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

Can the refs dock points? He gave Hydra a warning but then never followed it up with anything. Is DQ the only next step?

I dunno. Here are some of the relevant bits

Hydra's dohickey sure wasn't doing any damaging or disabling to me. Plus it took Hydra being told to back off several times before he actually did

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Disappointing season so far. Two big fights that feature a winner who didn't engage their weapon a single time.

I'm a huge Bronco fan and it sucks to see them fall from grace and Hydra take its place

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: that Hydra Vs. Huge upset is the most dickish thing I've seen since the surprise net.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It felt like that kind of bot you would have seen on the Comedy Central era battle bots.

People learned long ago that Kevlar is useless in battlebots

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: that Hydra Vs. Huge upset is the most dickish thing I've seen since the surprise net.

At least Free Shipping’s stunt was spectacular and clever. The reason why other robots didn’t use the obvious cow catcher strategy years before was because they are trying to do robot combat, for an audience.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

MiddleOne posted:

Still the OG

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Haha, I was a Razer fan as a kid and that was so upsetting. It’s funny in retrospect.

Part of me wishes I didn’t have favorites because I get bummed when they don’t win (especially this episode). I miss last year when I knew no one and just enjoyed the destruction.

Mumbling fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 8, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mumbling posted:

Haha, I was a Razer fan as a kid and that was so upsetting. It’s funny in retrospect.

Part of me wishes I didn’t have favorites because I get bummed when they don’t win (especially this episode). I miss last year when I knew no one and just enjoyed the destruction.

Yeah I've been bummed to see Witch Doctor struggling with their spinners breaking.

BUT for every old favorite struggling, you get a Jackbox or a Rusty to cheer for.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
gently caress hydra huge forever

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I've been bummed to see Witch Doctor struggling with their spinners breaking.

Witch Doctor is really just returning to form. Last season was the exception, this is what they've been like every other season. Very fast, very powerful and very inconsistent. Hypershock and Endgame have similar problems. They either sweep the competition or bomb completely.

halokiller posted:

Still the OG

Haha what is on going here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Witch Doctor is really just returning to form. Last season was the exception, this is what they've been like every other season. Very fast, very powerful and very inconsistent. Hypershock and Endgame have similar problems. They either sweep the competition or bomb completely.

Makes Bite Force all the more impressive. All these similar bots can't get it together, and nothing but the god roll critical 20 from Chomp can stop Bite Force.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
new roided up chomp vs bite force is the grudge match of my dreams

they'll need to change up their hammer though, og chomp's Actual Knife of a hammer was the only thing long and slim enough to avoid the guards and hit the belt

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

new roided up chomp vs bite force is the grudge match of my dreams

they'll need to change up their hammer though, og chomp's Actual Knife of a hammer was the only thing long and slim enough to avoid the guards and hit the belt

I think it would be cool if the turret contained a spear instead of an actual hammer. At least with a spear you can hit from an angle where you have floor traction instead of constantly lifting yourself up when you hit.

Like, my dream bot is a turreted spear bot and the gunner has fpv goggles to precisely punch out the exposed chains and belts you see so often in BB.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I think it would be cool if the turret contained a spear instead of an actual hammer. At least with a spear you can hit from an angle where you have floor traction instead of constantly lifting yourself up when you hit.

Like, my dream bot is a turreted spear bot and the gunner has fpv goggles to precisely punch out the exposed chains and belts you see so often in BB.

the spear is 100% going to be shattered into pieces by a spinner though

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

MiddleOne posted:

Haha what is on going here

How do you stop the only bot that keeps beating you every time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrXLwp6tW0
Still the second most controversial/debated match in all of Robot Wars (first being Storm 2 vs Typhoon 2/RW Producers)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Witch Doctor used to break down all the time; despite their weapon troubles, I'm impressed by their ability to keep operating in the fight against Hydra. Old school WD would have been KOed.

I'm of two minds about the Hydra/Huge situation. Huge works because the bots it fights can't necessarily be reconfigured to make their weapons effective against it, and if somebody designed a bot just to beat Huge it would get rolled by the rest of the field. And at least in their initial appearance on the show, they really didn't have an effective weapon, they were a rope-a-dope bot. Hydra had a cheap solution to the fight; if the alternative is to force ingenuity, that's one thing, but if it's to give a big advantage to the teams with enough cash to completely reweapon their bots for a single fight, that's another.

And how much weapon activity is "enough?" Would Hydra have been OK if they'd put a spike on the end of the arm? What if they put an extender on their flipper and only used it once? Would putting a wedge on a bot and slamming into Huge be acceptable, but what Hydra did is not, and if so, what's the difference? Hydra clearly had all the control in that fight, and almost kept Huge from using its weapon at all: you can't penalize that as a general principle without essentially writing off bots which use more defensive options, or grab-bots.

In the end, I think Huge has a huge weakness, in that it's helpless in any situation that requires pushing or traction, and that's where it found itself. At the same time, Hydra's solution to their weapon essentially being neutralized by Huge's design doesn't seem especially satisfying as a viewer.

Changing the rules in a way that benefits a particular build or design does seem like something that shouldn't be done lightly, though. My impression of the current Chomp is that it's a nasty weapon delivery system, but so slow that it simply can't be expected to fight other robots except that the rules of the game require the other robots to keep closing and attacking. Is that good design? Or at least, an experiment that's good for the game? Or is it exploiting the rules in the same way Hydra did, but with more entertaining results?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

halokiller posted:

How do you stop the only bot that keeps beating you every time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrXLwp6tW0
Still the second most controversial/debated match in all of Robot Wars (first being Storm 2 vs Typhoon 2/RW Producers)

Lmao that's actually really clever, especially how they designed it to be just larger than the pit

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

Witch Doctor used to break down all the time; despite their weapon troubles, I'm impressed by their ability to keep operating in the fight against Hydra. Old school WD would have been KOed.

I'm of two minds about the Hydra/Huge situation. Huge works because the bots it fights can't necessarily be reconfigured to make their weapons effective against it, and if somebody designed a bot just to beat Huge it would get rolled by the rest of the field. And at least in their initial appearance on the show, they really didn't have an effective weapon, they were a rope-a-dope bot. Hydra had a cheap solution to the fight; if the alternative is to force ingenuity, that's one thing, but if it's to give a big advantage to the teams with enough cash to completely reweapon their bots for a single fight, that's another.

And how much weapon activity is "enough?" Would Hydra have been OK if they'd put a spike on the end of the arm? What if they put an extender on their flipper and only used it once? Would putting a wedge on a bot and slamming into Huge be acceptable, but what Hydra did is not, and if so, what's the difference? Hydra clearly had all the control in that fight, and almost kept Huge from using its weapon at all: you can't penalize that as a general principle without essentially writing off bots which use more defensive options, or grab-bots.

In the end, I think Huge has a huge weakness, in that it's helpless in any situation that requires pushing or traction, and that's where it found itself. At the same time, Hydra's solution to their weapon essentially being neutralized by Huge's design doesn't seem especially satisfying as a viewer.

Changing the rules in a way that benefits a particular build or design does seem like something that shouldn't be done lightly, though. My impression of the current Chomp is that it's a nasty weapon delivery system, but so slow that it simply can't be expected to fight other robots except that the rules of the game require the other robots to keep closing and attacking. Is that good design? Or at least, an experiment that's good for the game? Or is it exploiting the rules in the same way Hydra did, but with more entertaining results?

I don't exactly like Hydra winning that fight. I think maybe they should have gotten DQ'd. BUT Huge is absolutely living in the same land of bullshit that Hydra entered. I've never really liked Huge because the fundamental concept of the bot is "The rules don't say anything about me just making it impossible to hit my robot".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having just watched it Hydra should have been DQ'd not just for not actively fighting but for trying that "I'm not touching you" poo poo with the ref. If Hydra had even just repositioned the cowcatcher so it could still attempt to fire I think it would have been fine, they designed a hard counter to a robot that itself counters that kind of weapon and that's fine, but Hydra also very obviously skirted the rules at best and ignored them at worst, and from how the driver was acting it's obvious that the plan was entirely that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I've never really liked Huge because the fundamental concept of the bot is "The rules don't say anything about me just making it impossible to hit my robot".
Is there any rule that says a dog can't be a Battlebot?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

I don't exactly like Hydra winning that fight. I think maybe they should have gotten DQ'd. BUT Huge is absolutely living in the same land of bullshit that Hydra entered. I've never really liked Huge because the fundamental concept of the bot is "The rules don't say anything about me just making it impossible to hit my robot".

What, no? Huge is a legit design and it's still possible to hit then. Just not by flippers

Huge gets wrecked by big horizontal spinners, see Icewave and SOW

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any rule that says a dog can't be a Battlebot?

Hi, I have the SPCA on the phone, they would like to talk to you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What, no? Huge is a legit design and it's still possible to hit then. Just not by flippers

Huge gets wrecked by big horizontal spinners, see Icewave and SOW

Sure they get wrecked by that one type of robot, but vertical spinners, beaters, drums, flippers, it's functionally impossible for those bots to beat it because they can't reach it. They're aiming to win like 70% of their fights by default and then maybe hoping to get lucky in the tournament draw.

It is better now that it's got a real weapon and you can go weapon-on-weapon against it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Battlebots is a TV show about robots smashing each other to bits in spectacular fashion in a death arena. The best pilots in interviews always talk about putting on a great show and being entertaining as their first priority. This makes sense because a) it’s a very silly sport that is highly arbitrary, b) having fans is worth more in the long run then Ws, and, c) the championship entrants are decided by the producers as to what would be the best show to watch.

Hydra was completely against the spirit of the sport, the spirit of the game, and the spirit of the show. Huge has always had an effective weapon and resulted in a true meta shift - it’s not a gimmick, it’s a strategy that was exciting every time they went into the box.

What they did is not a meta shift, not a modification to make the robots weapon more effective against Huge. This was a physicalisation of an unwillingness to fight: a physical tap out or concession, the verbal equivalents of which have no effect in Battlebots. The fact that the judges awarded victory to a team that conceded the fight, who circumvented that rule by saying it with metal instead of words, is mind blowing. It is an endorsement of stupid cowardice over clever showmanship.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

The central conceit of Battlebots is to make botbattles more entertaining by greatly favoring aggression and big transfers of kinetic energy. Whether that be by hitting, ramming, puncturing or tossing, the rules greatly favors it.

The entire walker ruleset is an experiment is to see if a slower but heavier bot would add to the variety of matches and so far it has. Hydra's strut-addon does the opposite, it narrows what designs are possible and it does so in a very passive and ultimately boring way.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

And the pilot’s pathetic mewing of “the other teams a should praise me because I kept my bot pointed at them the entire time, it was so difficult”

And then claiming with quiet embarrassment to be the “villain of battlebots” instead of the wettest squib, shameful, who could back this dickhead

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I can't believe how infuriated I am by that Hydra fight, I was so stoked to see that matchup and we got THAT garbage. What the gently caress

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chaosbreather posted:

And the pilot’s pathetic mewing of “the other teams a should praise me because I kept my bot pointed at them the entire time, it was so difficult”

That was pretty funny to hear after he announced that he wasn't actually moving at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

chaosbreather posted:

Battlebots is a TV show about robots smashing each other to bits in spectacular fashion in a death arena. The best pilots in interviews always talk about putting on a great show and being entertaining as their first priority. This makes sense because a) it’s a very silly sport that is highly arbitrary, b) having fans is worth more in the long run then Ws, and, c) the championship entrants are decided by the producers as to what would be the best show to watch.

Hydra was completely against the spirit of the sport, the spirit of the game, and the spirit of the show. Huge has always had an effective weapon and resulted in a true meta shift - it’s not a gimmick, it’s a strategy that was exciting every time they went into the box.
In other combat sports, stalling is considered a foul. In boxing, for example, refs and judges don't look kindly on a fighter whose strategy is to land one jab and spend the rest of the round clinching so that they technically win. Especially if they loudly announce this mid-fight.