Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BrianWilly posted:

Of...the entire series? Starting from ME1?

Not really! It's pretty user friendly. There's three main "missions" on three main planets at first, and there's some slight comedic consequence to saving one of the for last (the one where you find someone called Liara), but it doesn't lock you out of anything.

A fourth mission planet opens up after that, called Virmire, and you'll want to have done everything your companions wanted you to do for them before going there, because it'll affect things a little. Unless you don't care and just wanna see what happens.

Generally, go full Paragon or full Renegade for each playthrough on each game. There's benefits to always P or R, and none for constantly switching between them.

i think you might get locked out of a romance by virtue of not having enough conversations before endgame if you go for the comedy order, but there might be a way to finesse it if you know what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Some general advice is that unless you live to farm resources, either cheatengine everything you need, or just focus on a couple guns and one suit of armor, otherwise you won't be able to level it all to max.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Eimi posted:

Some general advice is that unless you live to farm resources, either cheatengine everything you need, or just focus on a couple guns and one suit of armor, otherwise you won't be able to level it all to max.

I saw a mod that gives your Tempest shop 100,000 of all crafting mats for free.
Sounds like a thing to do.
Maybe i'll stick it out for awhile and load it up later.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The main thing to know about andromeda is that the main story and the companion quests are the only good parts, more or less all the sidequests are extremely skippable. Much like DA3, it's only an open world game because someone at EA saw that skyrim was able to sell 10 million copies per console and decided that "open world" was a mandatory characteristic of all successful games.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The other main thing to know about andromeda is that for a game ostensibly about exploring uncharted worlds/galaxies, there's literally nowhere you can go that isn't already populated

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bogan Krkic posted:

The other main thing to know about andromeda is that for a game ostensibly about exploring uncharted worlds/galaxies, there's literally nowhere you can go that isn't already populated

There's one place you can go that isn't populated because everyone died

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Another thing to know is that Andromeda is really very bad on every level

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
As are your posts, and some people still read them anyway.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Very rude and hurtful :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Moola posted:

Another thing to know is that Andromeda is really very bad on every level

Not really, no. It's a decent game with fun combat and some great quests. The main quest is decent enough with a lackluster villain, and the companion quests and Ark quests are pretty drat good. This game gets a lot of poo poo it doesn't really deserve.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I don't think the restriction to three skills only or a huge wait time on changing profiles makes the combat better than ME3, even with a jetpack. And I found the companions largely insufferable, to the point I don't remember any of them fondly aside from NotWrex. Also Andromeda is probably the single worst game Bioware has ever made in regards to LGBT representation. They dropped the ball in every way there.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

on the one hand, i do remember players saying that if you stuck to a 100% guided list of all the best quests, you get a mostly half-way decent selection with no filler ...but on the other hand, in 2017 new players did not know in advance that more than half the quests were absolute time wasting bs and so their experiences were coloured by the heaps of awful content they did not know to avoid

i would ultimately call that deserved criticism, but your mileage may vary

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about it over the past few years, but it turned out (to me) to not be anywhere near as bad.
Its, a lesser ME1.
It ticks off some checkboxes that developers thought would make things better.
And dont even get me started on the lack of a decent save system.
Also emotionless faces.
But i've played worse.

Bought this on a combo sale recently with DA:Inquisition.
I couldnt even play that one any more, and I hadnt even left the Hinterlands.

e:

hard counter posted:

on the one hand, i do remember players saying that if you stuck to a 100% guided list of all the best quests
I was looking for something like this if you know of one.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I only played it at release but it absolutely, 100% deserved the criticism then.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

chaosapiant posted:

Not really, no. It's a decent game with fun combat and some great quests. The main quest is decent enough with a lackluster villain, and the companion quests and Ark quests are pretty drat good. This game gets a lot of poo poo it doesn't really deserve.

It's been said before, and it'll be said again; if the game had been not labelled 'Mass Effect,' it would be regarded as a solid if uninspired AA game with some good ideas of gameplay, some really questionable story choices, and people would be interested in seeing where a sequel went.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'll admit I didn't dislike it as I was playing it (although I didn't think it was particularly good either) and it wasn't til later when I started reading about how it was bad and thinking about it that I realized "ah, this game wasn't very good". Much like many comic book movies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Gonna be honest, playing Cyberpunk 2077 recently gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in Andromeda.

But tbh it gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in every other game too, so...

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

BrianWilly posted:

Gonna be honest, playing Cyberpunk 2077 recently gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in Andromeda.

But tbh it gave me added appreciation for the gameplay in every other game too, so...

Tough to tell which game was more messed up on launch. Gotta go with Cyberpunk... barely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

denimgorilla posted:

Tough to tell which game was more messed up on launch. Gotta go with Cyberpunk... barely.

On PC it has to be andromeda, on consoles cyberpunk by a mile.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cyberpunk pros: Well written, incredibly details art assets

Cyberpunk cons: all the bugs and the fact that the game part of the video game sucks

Andromeda pros: Combat and driving ai that works, the combat can even be fun.

Andromeda cons: Writing what's that? Hilarious animations

They both get minuses for open world and crafting. Tough call really.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Progression in CP is busted. There are skill trees that are near impossible to progress, perks you waste points on that are actively detrimental when they don't just do nothing (underwater stealth! :downs:), the armor has broken numbers, and combat is mostly bullet sponging while huffing health crack.

...Okay, the storytelling and writing is pretty good though.

I don't really know why I'm comparing it to ME, they're apples and oranges in most respects. I'm just bitter :v:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I mean...its following the Bioware legacy to a T. CD Projekt figured out a way to sell out without getting bought out.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 9, 2021

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about it over the past few years, but it turned out (to me) to not be anywhere near as bad.
Its, a lesser ME1.
It ticks off some checkboxes that developers thought would make things better.
And dont even get me started on the lack of a decent save system.
Also emotionless faces.
But i've played worse.

Bought this on a combo sale recently with DA:Inquisition.
I couldnt even play that one any more, and I hadnt even left the Hinterlands.

e:

I was looking for something like this if you know of one.

Well, you should leave the Hinterlands as soon as you can. Trying to 100% any area in that game is a fool's errand. Just see what grabs you after seeing what there is to do.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

This game gets a lot of poo poo it doesn't really deserve.

it deserves to be poo poo on more

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Moola posted:

it deserves to be poo poo on more

Andromeda is a mediocre game. When put next to the really good (take issue with that as you will) trilogy it’s real bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, you should leave the Hinterlands as soon as you can. Trying to 100% any area in that game is a fool's errand. Just see what grabs you after seeing what there is to do.

Bioware is not good at open world game design (and frankly, I've only seen one or two games that I thought benefited from being open world), and shame on EA for ordering it. Inquisition and Andromeda are both garbage.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Bioware is not good at open world game design (and frankly, I've only seen one or two games that I thought benefited from being open world), and shame on EA for ordering it. Inquisition and Andromeda are both garbage.

They’re basically the same crappy game but DA:I was more polished.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tresspasser is totally what saves DA:I, the entire open world game is basically just a prequel for the actual story in the dlc. Which is hilariously sad on reflection.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

It's been said before, and it'll be said again; if the game had been not labelled 'Mass Effect,' it would be regarded as a solid if uninspired AA game with some good ideas of gameplay, some really questionable story choices, and people would be interested in seeing where a sequel went.

Everything good in Andromeda comes from Mass Effect. You can't remove Mass Effect from Andromeda without removing the best parts. And the most requested DLC was the quarian ark. The thing that was going to save Andromeda wasn't anything in the game but a bunch of aliens from another game coming in. And Andromeda was always a AAA title.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh.. whoops

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eimi posted:

Tresspasser is totally what saves DA:I, the entire open world game is basically just a prequel for the actual story in the dlc. Which is hilariously sad on reflection.

I’m in the minority but I love Inquisition to pieces, including its open world design. Almost every cool fantasy backdrop is in the game and the environment art is gorgeous, the companions and main quests are awesome, and I enjoy Skyhold. Trespasser is a fat cherry on an already awesome sundae. Also The Descent DLC is loving awesome and I also love it to pieces.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I’m in the minority but I love Inquisition to pieces, including its open world design. Almost every cool fantasy backdrop is in the game and the environment art is gorgeous, the companions and main quests are awesome, and I enjoy Skyhold. Trespasser is a fat cherry on an already awesome sundae. Also The Descent DLC is loving awesome and I also love it to pieces.

I'm definitely with you on this. Sera is a bit much sometimes but other than that I love the game enough to have played it through a few times.

I legitimately think that trespasser is one of the best single stories Bioware has done so far as a complete package. ME2 probably edges it out, but it's just so well paced and the end sequence is just so cool, up there with the suicide mission imo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

womb with a view posted:

I only played it at release but it absolutely, 100% deserved the criticism then.

I also only played it at release, and no, it was a pretty good game even then. Even without a curated list of quests to do or ignore.

MEA gets poo poo on because people had decided prior to release that it was gonna be the worst game of all time, so now we have posters like moola who have built their entire identities around ironyposting about how terrible it supposedly is.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Andromeda is a game where some of the fetch quests will tell you to go to five areas to find a thing, only whether or not the thing spawns in one of those areas is random, so you have to go back to the Tempest and then back on the planet if it doesn't

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mymla posted:

I also only played it at release, and no, it was a pretty good game even then. Even without a curated list of quests to do or ignore.

MEA gets poo poo on because people had decided prior to release that it was gonna be the worst game of all time, so now we have posters like moola who have built their entire identities around ironyposting about how terrible it supposedly is.

They were mad about primary colors, STILL.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mymla posted:

lmao

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Inquisition was super mediocre and long and Andromeda sucked rear end. Anthem existed. High Hope's for bioware's next venture!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Andromeda defenders have a very powerful "the prequels are GOOD actually!" aura, and I fear their raw chaotic power that drives them

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Inquisition was the first BioWare game I didn’t finish and andromeda was the first I just never played at all. They’re basically done at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

poisonpill posted:

Inquisition was the first BioWare game I didn’t finish and andromeda was the first I just never played at all. They’re basically done at this point

:same: