Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

Whelp the CW finally made a decision and has announced that they're not going forward with the Green Arrow and the Canaries spin off.

Yeah, that's a bummer, but not really surprising at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked the premise, especially with the future characters having memories of both their good futures at the end of Arrow and their shithole dystopia from season 6. I have to wonder if it would've been greenlit had COVID not shut everything down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With Supergirl and Black Lightning ending I have to wonder how much time The Flash and Legends have left.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
God that was like a year ago. Not surprised that is not going forward, just surprised it took so long

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

With Supergirl and Black Lightning ending I have to wonder how much time The Flash and Legends have left.

Candace Patton makes vague social media posts that make me wonder if this is the last year for Flash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They're both old shows with streaming rights tied to another company so they're both dead shows walking for sure. I'm guessing Flash, and probably Legends too, gets another season after this one based on how the CW's handled winding down all their long running shows.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1347677865677115399

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Isaac official for playing Spector at this point?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

No, but if the way they've handled casting announcements holds true we'll get confirmation the day he gets seen filming the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The CW Black Canary role is cursed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

The CW Black Canary role is cursed.

What happened? or is this about the Green Arrow and the Canaries announcement?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronMoorhead/status/1347668887677116417?s=20

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apparently Pennyworth season 2 is coming out soon, I kind of assumed it died in the water. Did anyone actually watch it? Any good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I had read somewhere that Flash is the CW's highest rated show. I don't know if that's true or not but if there's an ounce of truth there, I have to imagine that they'll ride that poo poo til the wheels fall off (or someone irreplaceable like Gustin decides to jump ship).

Legends... I don't know how they're even still on now but God whenever it ends it'll be too soon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

Apparently Pennyworth season 2 is coming out soon, I kind of assumed it died in the water. Did anyone actually watch it? Any good?

Literally forgot that was a thing, what's it on?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Showcase in Canada, no idea who has it in the states

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw ads for it on the buses and street cars here, but after like a month it vanished. Same with Batwoman. There's something I'm really curious about, because the show is so tied up in Kate's family bullshit i don't know how they're going to keep it going with that being the main focus. Maybe they'd drop it and actually have a Batwoman show where she does Batwoman things, rather than just crying about her lost sister and arguing with her dad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Epix in America.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

I saw ads for it on the buses and street cars here, but after like a month it vanished. Same with Batwoman. There's something I'm really curious about, because the show is so tied up in Kate's family bullshit i don't know how they're going to keep it going with that being the main focus. Maybe they'd drop it and actually have a Batwoman show where she does Batwoman things, rather than just crying about her lost sister and arguing with her dad.

From the trailer I saw it's definitely still about Kate's family for some reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What happened? or is this about the Green Arrow and the Canaries announcement?

Yeah. They really hosed that character up (all 3 of them) during Arrow's run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah. They really hosed that character up (all 3 of them) during Arrow's run.

Evil Black Canary's redemption arc was the first time I thought the actress was any good at her job.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Early WandaVision reviews are out: It's good

https://collider.com/wandavision-reviews-reactions-disney-plus/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Given that this is the first Marvel Studios project in a year and a half after all the COVID-related delays, I do wonder how folks will respond to (at least) the first three episodes sticking with the sitcom-pastiche format with only a smattering of hints as to the obvious questions about how this alternate reality exists within the MCU, how Vision is alive, etc (this seems to be a point that all the social media reactions are consistent on). still, I'd rather they take advantage of the TV format to take creative swings that wouldn't work in a $200 million film than not

also, this is nitpicking, but I wouldn't call Twitter reactions "reviews," and they do tend to skew more positive than actual reviews. the embargo on those lifts a day before the premiere, Jan. 14, at 9AM PST/noon EST

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

also, this is nitpicking, but I wouldn't call Twitter reactions "reviews," and they do tend to skew more positive than actual reviews. the embargo on those lifts a day before the premiere, Jan. 14, at 9AM PST/noon EST

Yeah, a show/movie can be hot garbage and still have a sizable contingent of Twitter users praising it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

very similar to the early reviews for wonder woman 1984

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

very similar to the early reviews for wonder woman 1984

Oof.

I should probably watch it, I saw part of it on Christmas but HBOMax was getting hit so hard it was stuttering in a way that hurt my head. My mom finished it and later I heard her on the phone with her brother saying it was "loving horrible." She loved the first one, loved Captain Marvel, is basically the embodiment of what comicsgater types complain about in terms of women who don't read comics ruining comic book movies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If it helps I haven't talked to a single person that didn't think Wonder Woman wasn't hot garbage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

If it helps I haven't talked to a single person that didn't think Wonder Woman wasn't hot garbage

I just felt bad for my mom, she really, really wanted to like it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Save yourself 2.5 hours and do literally anything else

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

site posted:

Save yourself 2.5 hours and do literally anything else

Absolutely.

I really, really wanted to like it.

But I didn't.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I didn't really care if it was good and I thought it was ok.

So temper your expectations I guess. Everyone saying it's the worst thing ever is just being 21st century hyperbolic but it wasn't good enough to defend either so oh well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The action scenes are lame. They got really obsessed with the swinging stuff and she's Spider-Man for all but the really bad CGI truck/running scene you've probably already seen.

The resolution is also really weird and is supposed to be inspirational but doesn't land.

The rest is fine, it's just too long. If they cut the entire Egypt part of the story it would improve it a lot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think the film could have been saved if they'd included a scene at the end where that guy from near the start renounces his wish and coffee instantly starts streaming out of his mouth

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It should have had the guy who's body Steve steals be just totally freaking out instead of just being a normal guy at the end. Just have him disheveled and ranting about how he can't remember anything from the last week, he lost his job, when his fiance called some woman apparently answered the phone and she left him, etc. Just go into how Steve stealing his body even for that short amount of time destroyed him.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Vince MechMahon posted:

It should have had the guy who's body Steve steals be just totally freaking out instead of just being a normal guy at the end. Just have him disheveled and ranting about how he can't remember anything from the last week, he lost his job, when his fiance called some woman apparently answered the phone and she left him, etc. Just go into how Steve stealing his body even for that short amount of time destroyed him.

Honestly I would have preferred skipping the whole "taking over somebody else's body" thing to begin with, the stakes of "if you don't do this the world is screwed" is plenty of narrative reason for the tension of renouncing/not renouncing, and the loss of Diana's power was sufficient for the "monkey's paw" nature the wishes are supposed to have. All taking over somebody else did was add an uncomfortable rape dynamic to the whole mess in exchange for one brief bit at the ending when she ran into the regular guy. But I think leaning into the horror aspect like this suggests would have been worse overall, going all grimdark is very overplayed in general in superhero stuff, and certainly doesn't fit the tone of a movie where the ending wasn't a punch up (hell, the end fight read as more tragedy than triumph) but persuading the main bad guy to do the right thing. Which I think deserves more acknowledgement than it's gotten for being something more fitting with a "loves everyone" hero like Wonder Woman is supposed to be as I understand it from the comics. I kind of enjoyed the movie (often in spite of itself, admittedly), I can't figure out where the "most horrible movie ever!" stuff that everyone seems to be running with as gospel truth came from. It's not as good as the first one but it wasn't some agonizing cinema horror, just "I see what they were trying to do and they did it sorta, just didn't nail it" to me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Actual WandaVision reviews are out, and in this case, they're largely in line with last week's Twitter reactions. some of them do contain bits I would consider spoilery (albeit nothing massive, given that only the first three episodes were provided to critics), so be warned

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/wandavision
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/wandavision

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From the AV Club review (minor general plot spoiler for one of today's eps): "Compare that to WandaVision, in which Vision accidentally swallows gum in one episode, which screws up his robot machinery, which then threatens to derail his performance at a big charity talent show with Wanda."

YES. YES. YES.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't wait to watch these shows in a year when they're not being released weekly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
WandaVision is weird and fun. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I finished the 2nd episode and there were no more. Too used to Netflix dropping the entire series at once. This is a good feeling ultimately, because I'm looking forward to the next episode as soon as it can come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I quite like WandaVision. They lean into the sitcom element of the show but they keep that uncomfortable "something not quite right" feeling going.