Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is the first I've watched an FFVII speedrun and that's quite a heft skip so early. Lots of the Midgar story just got dodged. It's kind of wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CrashScreen posted:

This is the first I've watched an FFVII speedrun and that's quite a heft skip so early. Lots of the Midgar story just got dodged. It's kind of wild.

Yeah I usually skip the FF runs because they're like 8 hours long, but 2 hours is tight enough to have me curious.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I can't recommend watching that SGDQ 2017 FF7 run enough. In fact, I probably do that in every thread. It's for me one of the essential GDQ runs, even though long. Take some time over a few days if you can and sit down for it, especially if you have nostalgia for FF7. Everything about that run is just perfect, commentary, interactions, everything.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is this it? 8 hours isn't much of a speedrun :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWgb-Jrk5tQ

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^^ It is when it's an approx 40 hour game.

Noted though. I'll check that out even if I have to break it up then.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love Barret's dialogue here. In fact I love Barret's dialogue everywhere.

"Because of that &"#(()! 'pizza', people are sufferin'!"
"drat! It's a time bomb!"
"I'm going, going, going, gone! And I'm leavin' the thinkin' to you!"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Looking forward to finding out how he's going to complete the game without a materia menu and while running away from every battle.

Edit: Oh, I think there's a skip that lets you teleport directly to the last last battle without going through the meteor impact site. Also some save file skips.

Edit2: Oh right, grenades.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 8, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I love Barret's dialogue here. In fact I love Barret's dialogue everywhere.

"Because of that &"#(()! 'pizza', people are sufferin'!"
"drat! It's a time bomb!"
"I'm going, going, going, gone! And I'm leavin' the thinkin' to you!"

Barret blew my mind when i played that game as a 15-year old, because it was the first time I saw a curse word in a video game. I was a very dull child

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If Red XIII is going to be at the hour mark, that means FFVII Remake is going to be half of this playthrough. Square really could make FFVII a two-part series!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Huh. The stairs are faster for a speedrun? It's been years since I last played it, so I don't actually remember much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

itry posted:

Huh. The stairs are faster for a speedrun? It's been years since I last played it, so I don't actually remember much.

Funnily enough, apparently a lot faster than fighting all the battles in the elevator.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
no one gives a poo poo if it's aeris or aerith or earth or alice or alf

jesus christ

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nothing warms my soul like memelords donating to make Red's name GuyFieri and the Brazilian streamer clearly having no idea who that is

edit: also it is pretty nuts that this is a 2:05:00 estimate and we're hanging out in Shinra HQ at 1:10:00, there must be some insane skips

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 8, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had no idea who that was either.

Then again Aeris' and Tifa's names for that aforementioned FF7 run COOLRANCH and Beefaroni are apparently some american fast foods too. Sometimes you just gotta roll with it even if the reference isn't for you.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Cool Ranch is a flavor of Doritos. As I understand it, outside of America the flavor is generally referred to as "American Style."

and I like cool ranch chips they taste good. though no I don't really know why they decided to change the flavor name in and out of the country

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I think I watched one of these before and once they encounter Yuffie they glitch to another save at the final save point

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I had no idea who that was either.

Then again Aeris' and Tifa's names for that aforementioned FF7 run COOLRANCH and Beefaroni are apparently some american fast foods too. Sometimes you just gotta roll with it even if the reference isn't for you.

Oh I wasn't holding it against him by any means, there's no reason he would have known, but I think it's something where most Americans just assume it's part of the human consciousness. If anything it was an interesting exchange where the announcer initially spelled it too quickly because it hadn't quite sunk in that he wouldn't be familiar at all with the name. But it's fine, now more people can learn about the Mayor of Flavortown!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my that donation

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Guy Fiaerith

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I remember this motorcycle part looking way cooler when I was 10.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Genuinely laughed hard at that one

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I think I watched one of these before and once they encounter Yuffie they glitch to another save at the final save point

they actually warp to a debug area and kill Sephiroth there iirc

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Tifa doesn't really _use_ that sword...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speedruns that involve loading a save file prepared outside of the run always confused me

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This is more convoluted than the plot

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I must've missed this step when I played the game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Straight to the end boiz.

Slothpolo
Oct 1, 2005
STUPID
DICK
this man stole Karl Urbans beard

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"Just do it anyway"

GG!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What a lame incentive

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well I am sure the next game won't be super broken and use a lot of memory glitches.

*checks notes*

Ah...Nevertheless ...

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020
Oh the run is over

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna try and get awake for Muchi Muchi Pork, since I know that's gonna be great

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I went to the washroom and then I came back and Cloud was killing Sephiroth. I think I missed an important step.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I went to the washroom and then I came back and Cloud was killing Sephiroth. I think I missed an important step.

Long story short, the PC is a broken version of the game and you can warp around by game overs and winning fights.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

King of Solomon posted:

Long story short, the PC is a broken version of the game and you can warp around by game overs and winning fights.

Oh. Typical FF stuff then.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The blindfolded SM64 run isn't even close, but the run has already picked up press on video game news sites, so I wonder what they will do about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They were at the world map outside fort condor, i went to pick up chinese food, and then the run was over by the time I came back

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ok we only have a half hour to get the mario 64 blindfold run met and are still 160k short

time to watch donations massively explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The blindfolded SM64 run isn't even close, but the run has already picked up press on video game news sites, so I wonder what they will do about it.

Yeah people say 'incentives always get met' but over 100k in 30 min when its not the last bits of the marathon is pretty crazy