Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I want to add, I recently turned on the "turn off cylinder 1 (the one nearest your legs) when revs are low/you are stopped" feature, so as to not let my legs get too warm

This made me chuckle, sales and marketing is a fantastic drug. EITMS may or may not have an effect on your leg temperature but the intent is to prevent the rear cylinder stack from overheating by making that cylinder pump cool refreshing air. It is intended to stop florida boomers getting full rebuilds under warranty because they decided to parade their bagger around the walmart carpark with thirty of their mates; you live in the UK where I'm pretty sure nobody has overheated a harley ever in all of history, just leave it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yes sir.

It is now off.

Valt posted:

So it dies under load and at idle? Do you know how to show codes on the dash? I don't know if this possible on the newer bikes but I assume it is. There are codes that might show a check engine light. For instance I don't have turn signals on my bike and that throws a code. But no check engine light appears for it.

It died under low/no load. Once or twice, when EITMS was on I think.

I don't know, yet, how to show codes on the dash.

If it dies again, after having turned off EITMS, then I'll investigate further for codes!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Here you go.

https://www.wilkinsharley.com/--Checking-Trouble-Codes-2019-Harley-Davidsons

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
After years of being typically judgemental about Harleys I test rode a sportster 1200 and was surprised at how much fun it was.

Ended up picking up a soft tail standard a couple weeks back and am loving it.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

My midlife crisis mobile, seat is a loaner until sundowner pillion pad turns up. What’s that box behind it I hear (none of) you ask?
that looks promising.

half way
Much better. Will sus some black heat shields at some point. Sounds like a Harley instead of a tractor now.
However the random mix of imperial and metric screw sizes can gently caress right off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I squint super hard I think I can make out a bike there :)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NoDoors, that's a good looking bike! Nice one!

Question for all: My Fat Bob 2019 has these default pegs:

They are slippery as gently caress when it's raining/muddy out. Can someone recommend me some pegs that'll fit Bob that are nice and grippy and don't look poo poo?

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

SirLeigh posted:

Should I get some black mags or keep the silver spokes?

I think I've decided to keep the spokes. Do you guys think I should powder coat them in black?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes but also do the hubs too

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes but also do the hubs too

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, wrong, you powder coat the hubs but leave the spokes shiny. Painted spokes are yuck unless they're on a military style bike or some zany colour.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s also valid, but paint the hub at the very least.

Also it’s cheating, but get the spoke covers and try out black spokes if you aren’t sure. Its way easier than disassembling your wheel, painting the spokes and reassembling it to discover you don’t like it

$12 on the ‘zon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5T9SR7/

:ssh: or just leave the spoke covers on forever and don’t tell anyone :ssh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s also valid, but paint the hub at the very least.

Also it’s cheating, but get the spoke covers and try out black spokes if you aren’t sure. Its way easier than disassembling your wheel, painting the spokes and reassembling it to discover you don’t like it

$12 on the ‘zon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5T9SR7/

:ssh: or just leave the spoke covers on forever and don’t tell anyone :ssh:

Does anyone still make Spokey Dokes?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love how I've never heard that product name before, yet knew exactly what you are talking about. Great suggestion for those slooowww cruises through town.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How wrong am I for really liking the looks of the blacked out Road King Special, but wishing it didn't have saddlebags and the stupid looking "moustache" safety bars and floorboards?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

How wrong am I for really liking the looks of the blacked out Road King Special, but wishing it didn't have saddlebags and the stupid looking "moustache" safety bars and floorboards?

Saddlebags are the fannypack of motorcycling. They add a real herb look every time, but they're the most convenient way to transport things.

I don't mind the floorboards or crash bars. They're too functional to take issue with.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I hate the look of floorboards, foot pegs are far more aesthetically pleasing. Boards look gargantuan though I am sure they are more secure feeling for the bottom of your boot. That said, I am on the lookout for more "grippy" pegs as the standard Harley ones are very slippery.

Crash bars: Personally, I feel like if I drop/crash the bike, the bike is going to get hosed up anyway, regardless of if I have crash bars or not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crash bars are basically admitting failure in advance. They are like a billboard that says 'i am too scared and incompetent for this big heavy bike and a fall is all but guaranteed'. And they look like poo poo.

Boards are ok, they've grown on me since I discovered they're immensely satisfying to grind into the pavement, much more so than pegs. They also let you stand up and take you weight a lot better.

Re: that road king, it's interesting that when the style aspects and identity of the bike hinge on it having bags, the rest of the bike without the bags is like a perfectly ordinary normal bike with correct tyre sizes, a comfortable normal bar, normal seat etc. Literally just a gigantic sportster with bags stuck on.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Re: that road king, it's interesting that when the style aspects and identity of the bike hinge on it having bags, the rest of the bike without the bags is like a perfectly ordinary normal bike with correct tyre sizes, a comfortable normal bar, normal seat etc. Literally just a gigantic sportster with bags stuck on.

What's really annoying is that if you take off the bags (from the 1 youtube I saw), there are some extremely ugly and chintzy brackets underneath and no styling has gone on underneath at all. It's like looking at the back of your monitor after you have removed the monitor stand, that sort of unrefined functional poo poo with screws and grommets and holes and brackets. Gross.

So you can't live your gigantic sportster fantasies if you wanted to.

Well I suppose you could if you fabbed up some covering pieces yourself...

Slavvy posted:

Crash bars are basically admitting failure in advance. They are like a billboard that says 'i am too scared and incompetent for this big heavy bike and a fall is all but guaranteed'. And they look like poo poo.

Yes, they really really do. Ugh.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 13, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh I already have a specific jumbo sportster fantasy involving an old FXR and a great fuckoff lumpy cam.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doooo itttt!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well first the fxr's owner needs to die/develop a meth habit so I can get a hold of it, even poo poo ones are like 10k.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:(

Separate question: Is possible to get a bigger fuel tank for the Bob 2019? 13L is too small.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I like it a lot, including the bags and boards.

Crash bars look poo poo though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

What's really annoying is that if you take off the bags (from the 1 youtube I saw), there are some extremely ugly and chintzy brackets underneath and no styling has gone on underneath at all. It's like looking at the back of your monitor after you have removed the monitor stand, that sort of unrefined functional poo poo with screws and grommets and holes and brackets. Gross.

So you can't live your gigantic sportster fantasies if you wanted to.

Well I suppose you could if you fabbed up some covering pieces yourself...

Yes, they really really do. Ugh.

I think the Dyna Switchback was built to fill that niche.
As for crash bars, from what I've seen they do 100% work when you drop the bike or are going to have a low speed lowsider, the bike just rests on the bars.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Strife posted:

Saddlebags are the fannypack of motorcycling.

*waiting for the saddlebags I ordered for my GSXR250 to show up today*

This gave me a good laugh... Fannypack is a great analogy and I’m going to Pee Wee Herman the gently caress out of my bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Wearing a backpack isn't the end of the world, but especially for long rides it's so nice if everything fits in my tank bag rather than needing the backpack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

As for crash bars, from what I've seen they do 100% work when you drop the bike or are going to have a low speed lowsider, the bike just rests on the bars.

not hog related but the crash bars on my Wee, plus the sidecases, saved my plastics half a dozen times or more

It was a tall awkward bike to haul around in the garage and sometimes it got sleepy

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

Wearing a backpack isn't the end of the world, but especially for long rides it's so nice if everything fits in my tank bag rather than needing the backpack.

My spine might be made of paper mache, but wearing a backpack with anything heaver than a sandwich in it for more than half an hour just wrecks me. When I was younger I remember saying that if it can't fit in your pockets then you don't need it, but having fixed bags has been such a game changer in making the bike an actually useful vehicle.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I think Road Kings always look better with painted hard bags, fight me

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

High Protein posted:

I had no idea something like this existed. I have wanted hard bags for my bike for some time. But honestly its probably easier to just buy a street glide. Anytime I go on long rides I just pack my duffle bag and strap it to the sissy bar. It works in that you can put stuff in it but its not easy to get anything out of it obviously while its on the bike. But anything around town I just bring my chrome bag with me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I asked the dealership about 2 things, fitting cruise control and getting a larger petrol tank. Questions and responses:

Me: How much is it to add cruise control to the Fat Bob?
H-D: Cruise control Kit £258.17, Fitting £120.

Me: Some of the softail line have 18.9L petrol tanks compared to the Fat Bob’s 13.7. Can you put in one of those bigger tanks on my Fat Bob? If yes, how much would that be?
H-D: We have custom fitted a sport glide fuel tank to one of our custom bikes the cost was about £1900 including fabrication , painting and fitting.

2 grand, basically, for a bigger tank. That's mental. I am going to see if 3rd party tank shops can do it for significantly cheaper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fat Bob with a safari tank. Do it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just image searched safari motorcycle tanks.

No. They look hideous!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

I asked the dealership about 2 things, fitting cruise control and getting a larger petrol tank. Questions and responses:

Me: How much is it to add cruise control to the Fat Bob?
H-D: Cruise control Kit £258.17, Fitting £120.

Me: Some of the softail line have 18.9L petrol tanks compared to the Fat Bob’s 13.7. Can you put in one of those bigger tanks on my Fat Bob? If yes, how much would that be?
H-D: We have custom fitted a sport glide fuel tank to one of our custom bikes the cost was about £1900 including fabrication , painting and fitting.

2 grand, basically, for a bigger tank. That's mental. I am going to see if 3rd party tank shops can do it for significantly cheaper.

I guess my main question is why do you want any of this? I have "cruise control" aka throttle lock on my bike and I used it once and it just made me extremely nervous. As far as tank size mine is roughly the same as yours and I have essentially been across the US on this bike and not having enough gas was never an issue. Honestly a lot of the things you want can just be found on a street glide or other bagger style bikes since they are setup for cruising out of the box.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Instead of cruise control buy yourself a $10 cramp buster. It's 1/20th the cost and nearly as effective and arguably safer.

Instead of a 5L larger fuel tank, get a 2 gallon spare can and strap it on the back somewhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All harleys already have a crappy form of cruise control anyway, just turn the throttle friction knob in until it sticks and set it to whatever position you want.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll see if I can find the Cramp Buster I bought many moons ago and see if that is satisfactory.

Re tank size, it's just annoying filling up daily. 2 grand is stupid though, way too much money for the convenience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buys an 1800cc cruiser made from victorian railway beams, complains about fuel mileage - harley owner confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Eh, the other softail cruiser bikes with the same engine have larger tanks. It's stupid the Fat Bob doesn't.

But yes.