Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

He should have put some kinda long reach dickpunch thing on his filler and it would have been a fight, this was just rules lawyering.

I love SoW but that dude has always been a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure Huge got the award for most innovative design or something their first year, so all the other builders really don't have a problem with it

For comparison, Hydra got booed

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

It would have been infinitely better had Hydra put a Huge-height spike on the flipper in addition to the cow catcher and looked like they were trying.

Hell, there were at least 3 times a huge wheel was the flipper. Just give it a little pop and carry on. Like, I get the rules lawyer explanation for why Hydra won, but that was just unsatisfying. At least Beta's lack of weapon use was explainable by "we didn't have an opening yet," but unlike Beta, Hydra didn't even attempt to gain an opening.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Having just watched it Hydra should have been DQ'd not just for not actively fighting but for trying that "I'm not touching you" poo poo with the ref. If Hydra had even just repositioned the cowcatcher so it could still attempt to fire I think it would have been fine, they designed a hard counter to a robot that itself counters that kind of weapon and that's fine, but Hydra also very obviously skirted the rules at best and ignored them at worst, and from how the driver was acting it's obvious that the plan was entirely that.
Yeah agreed. I was surprised he wasn't disqualified for that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How did Kraken's teeth stay on when it kept jamming them straight into the spinner? Cool fight.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hydras cage made it impossible to use its weapon. The cage itself wasn't the problem, the fact it turned itself into a push bot was. If the whole thing had been hinged and actuated by the flipper they could have played keep away and still been entertaining.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
So basically, gently caress Hydra.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

Hydras cage made it impossible to use its weapon. The cage itself wasn't the problem, the fact it turned itself into a push bot was. If the whole thing had been hinged and actuated by the flipper they could have played keep away and still been entertaining.

Exactly. If anything, that'd be MORE effective. Corral it THEN launch it. They didn't though, because they were hoping that they wouldn't be the first team to be DQed* for skirting/breaking the rules.

*Is that true actually?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
It was cheesy as hell. It wasn't fun to watch, and everyone including the team knew it was a morally shady, but also legitimate move. Boo.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I can't get too upset about HUGE vs Hydra because that strategy has a pretty obvious counter. HUGE just need a pair of wheels that terminate in spikes where their weapon range is longer than the base of the spike. It's on them for not thinking of that. There are bots that would beat them the same way with no mods like SMEEEEE... which they already fought and lost to before.

edit - although the "I'm not touching you" thing was super lame and I would've started a KO count and asked for movement.

beepsandboops posted:

Disappointing season so far. Two big fights that feature a winner who didn't engage their weapon a single time.

I'm a huge Bronco fan and it sucks to see them fall from grace and Hydra take its place

SubZero won its fight in a proper way so at least there's that. :unsmith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rondette posted:

a morally shady, but also legitimate move.
I don't know, BB has detailed guidelines on how to score Aggression and Control. It's hard to say. Hydra advanced on the opponent and pushed them into a corner, but didn't do anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hydra modified themselves in such a way that it was impossible for their flipper to hit their opponent.

That means it's no longer a functional weapon, and hence the bot is not valid in this competition

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Jake Ewert thinks he's playing a villain or a heel, but mostly he's a charisma black hole. Even in earlier seasons when he wasn't explicitly unsportsmanlike, he was so unlikable just from being.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In wrestling they call it go away heat.

Tunicate posted:

Hydra modified themselves in such a way that it was impossible for their flipper to hit their opponent.

That means it's no longer a functional weapon, and hence the bot is not valid in this competition
:hmmyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also what I really want to see now is someone renting out that huge catcher, putting it in the box unattached to their main bot as a 'minibot', and just absolutely destroying it at the start of the match

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

oh jay posted:

Jake Ewert thinks he's playing a villain or a heel, but mostly he's a charisma black hole. Even in earlier seasons when he wasn't explicitly unsportsmanlike, he was so unlikable just from being.

He can’t even make eye contact with anyone. He’s a villain the same way school shooters are villains.

Also don’t the Ewerts come off as a little creepy as a whole to anyone else? And their whole “throwing spaghetti at the wall to try to get in the finals” gimmick smacks of a fundamental lack of confidence and focus.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

A lot of builders weren't huge fans of Team Whyachi back in the day because they were the equivalent of a Nascar team going to a local car meet. They all wear custom uniforms when most builders could only afford t-shirts with emblems, have a poo poo load of money to burn, and try to act like a professional team in a sport that's still considered amateur.

That being said, Terry Ewert is the actual brains and charisma behind their entire robot combat operation and he retired a few years ago. None of the Ewert children seemed to be able to pick up the slack.

And I definitely agree with the calls that Hydra should have forfeited if their addon makes their weapon inoperable.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

The ewerts are a long term family of rules lawyers.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ok... but how long before everyone going against Huge has some sort of cowcatcher attachment now?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If it becomes stupid and unfun, I'm assuming the rules and invitational nature of the tournament will adjust to compensate.

Imagine if you were allowed to bring variants, but must use each once and only once, and don't know your fight cards ahead of time. Or rules limiting structural components that surpass X% of the baseline chassis.

Next year's rules were already adjusted re: weapon use in a way that would've disqualified Hydra right?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I hope they don't go that strict, otherwise bots like the actually good Bombshell wouldn't be allowed. Or Ghost Raptor who was forced to improvise into a lifter because their primary weapon got completely trashed.

I think the rule change they're planning is adequate for now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Team Huge were dumbasses for aiming directly at Hydra over and over instead of smashing off the ends of cowcatcher.

But Hydra still should have been DQed.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Team Huge were dumbasses for aiming directly at Hydra over and over instead of smashing off the ends of cowcatcher.

Huge doesnt seem to be the most mobile bot. It looks like its struggling for traction all the time. Going in at the wrong angle could easily have resulted in just getting shoved into the corner sooner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Could someone explain the logistics of the 4000$ bot to me. That things does not look 4000$.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Could someone explain the logistics of the 4000$ bot to me. That things does not look 4000$.

You just gotta be a careful shopper down at the second-hand robot store

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Laser cutting is really cheap.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm not going to go all through all your post histories to see if people chewing out Hydra are the same ones that think Beta should have won.

Hydra won in the funniest, shittiest manner and while it was boring as hell to watch, at least this will lead to rules changes because more combined points for Control and Aggression (3+3) than Damage (5) is dumb as poo poo.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I'm not going to go all through all your post histories to see if people chewing out Hydra are the same ones that think Beta should have won.

I'll admit it. I'm chewing out Hydra, though I agree that per the rules as written, Hydra and Betas wins are correct because they inflicted deliberate hits with arena hazards (even Hydra managed a deliberate hammer shot or two while playing keep away). I'm still going to chew out Hydra for being lovely about it, because unlike Beta, they willfully modified their bot in a way that made the weapon ineffective, ran down the clock, and argued with the ref. The rules definitely need to be amended to favor primary weapon hits, but as written, they both did meet judging criteria.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the downsides to Huge's design is it's never going to control a match... They barely get enough traction to move around, they can't target the side of an opponent. Even a lovely bot driver could keep Huge in front of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In the Beta fight it was the other robot that decided to run a configuration that meant that neither robot could damage the other.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Hydra won in the funniest, shittiest manner and while it was boring as hell to watch, at least this will lead to rules changes because more combined points for Control and Aggression (3+3) than Damage (5) is dumb as poo poo.

I think Hydra probably should have been DQ'd for not fighting in the fighting robots contest, but it is amusing that Huge, a bot whose gimmick is "hahaha you can't touch me," got beat by a team that made it so Huge couldn't touch them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Admittedly the idea of a bot with a token weapon and a massive arsenal of custom-made bullbars designed to keep each and every bot in the competition away sounds pretty funny

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In the Beta fight it was the other robot that decided to run a configuration that meant that neither robot could damage the other.

Was Rotator built in a way that meant Beta could never swing its hammer?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Was Rotator built in a way that meant Beta could never swing its hammer?

Rotator changed to a configuration that couldn't hurt Beta in order to ward off Beta hitting them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Rotator changed to a configuration that couldn't hurt Beta in order to ward off Beta hitting them.

What part of that prevented Beta from pushing the button that said Swing Hammer?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Beta/Rotator & Huge/Hydra argument is very much an apples to oranges argument imo. They are not the same scenario. Even though Beta didn't fire their weapon, it's clearly they could have and it was part of their game plan. Hydra's game plan was clearly to NOT fire their weapon at all during the match, and I'm not even sure if they still even had it in the bot or if they removed it to have the weight for the cow catcher...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Beta/Rotator & Huge/Hydra argument is very much an apples to oranges argument imo. They are not the same scenario. Even though Beta didn't fire their weapon, it's clearly they could have and it was part of their game plan. Hydra's game plan was clearly to NOT fire their weapon at all during the match, and I'm not even sure if they still even had it in the bot or if they removed it to have the weight for the cow catcher...

Beta's strategy was so cowardly that they intentionally caromed Rotator into their hammer so that they could say "whoopsie guess I can't swing the hammer" absolute charlatans, those Beta boys.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

/

Lone Goat posted:

...they intentionally caromed Rotator into their hammer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Huge makes a major trade off for the design. They have and use their active weapon as best they can, and their bot has been hit and destroyed before. It's just a bot that is towards the edge of the design space that battle bots can exist in. What Hydra did was qualify as a bot with an active weapon then go into the arena with a plan to sit in the corner in such a way that the other bot couldn't touch them. It's total horse poo poo. Huge even used it's drag legs to lift Hydra and get a little tap with their main weapon. Huge tried so hard to engage in an actual fight and the driver was so pissed after and yet so composed and reasonable with his answers.
If Hydra had put a lift kit of some sort on their flipper so they could touch Huge and went in with the intention of boxing Huge and then using their weapon, fine, but they didn't. Garbage fight, garbage judge decision. Hydra should have been disqualified the second he told the ref no.