Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think he's lying about his past, there was no indication at all in KK3 that he and Silver didn't serve together or were lying about what they went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The stuff Kreese lied about is what he told the Cobra Students he did post Vietnam. He later tells Johnny he tried to re-enlist but they wouldn't take him back.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah he was trying to cover up the fact that he'd been stuck in a shelter. No idea why he didn't call terry then but maybe terry only picks up when it means he can bully teenagers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah he was trying to cover up the fact that he'd been stuck in a shelter. No idea why he didn't call terry then but maybe terry only picks up when it means he can bully teenagers.

Terry is 100% driving the plot in KK3, when they first meet all Kreese is trying to do is hand him the keys to his property. Terry is all about terrorising teenagers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If Terry was one of the soldiers during the flashback then why wasn't he 6'5 but 5'9?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The flashbacks didn't humanize Kreese. He could have chosen to pull up his CO. In fact, doing that would have been the easy thing and he'd have been regarded as an even bigger hero. Not pulling him up was a pure evil for evil's sake moment.

I mean okay maybe he was a normal guy before that but like everyone is normal for at least 2 to 20 years before the evil consumes them

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Terry was one of the soldiers during the flashback then why wasn't he 6'5 but 5'9?

Kreese just remembers him as being shorter

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Simone Magus posted:

Not pulling him up was a pure evil for evil's sake moment.

Counterpoint; gently caress that guy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Utgardaloki posted:

Counterpoint; gently caress that guy.

Kreese could have saved him and then testified that he participated in war crimes with their captors if he really wanted to put the screws to that dude

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My impression was that Kreese was participating in war crimes by being part of that squad, not that the US government gave a crap about war crimes at the time.

It's interesting how Kreese didn't learn anything from being manipulated and exploited by a quixotic lunatic who wanted his own little private army. Well, he learned that he should replace that guy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That guy was like the worst guy to ever guy.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's interesting how Kreese didn't learn anything from being manipulated and exploited by a quixotic lunatic who wanted his own little private army. Well, he learned that he should replace that guy.

I dunno, Kreese isn't a complete lunatic by the start of the first karate-kid movie. He's just a war-brained vet that can't handle losing. It's not until KK3 that he goes completely off the deep end and becomes what he is in Cobra Kai.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 8, 2021

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I really like this show, but my hope is that it ends with some kids from an MMA gym showing up, saying wtf is it 1985, and beats all the karate kids up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just binge-watched this show on a whim over the past 3 days and I share the sentiment most other people do - I like this stupid goofy show more than it has any right to. I came in expecting over the top 80s camp and cringe, and got the camp but less cringe, and a surprising meditation on fatherhood, toxic masculinity, and cycles of generational abuse and trauma.

All I want for the end of Season 4 is for them to introduce a new villain or rival that uses some form of kung fu. Maybe wing chun for the Ip Man reference. :allears:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I alone in wanting the series to end after Season 4?

I'd hate the show to continue on and on to the point that it loses it's purpose. Not all stories should be told forever.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I agree season 4 should probably be the conclusion.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I alone in wanting the series to end after Season 4?

I'd hate the show to continue on and on to the point that it loses it's purpose. Not all stories should be told forever.

At one point after netflix bought the show from youtube, spinoffs were mentioned.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The producers said in an interview this week that they have an endgame in mind that goes multiple years beyond season 4 ... but it'll depend on Netflix's infamous cancel-happy decision makers. In any event, they said they aren't writing the fourth season to be the last.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Timby posted:

but it'll depend on Netflix's infamous cancel-happy decision makers.

I remember when Netflix used to be known for not canceling shows and giving them a second chance, even if they performed poorly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Most, a delightful and award-winning slice-of-life short co-written by William Zabka, with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_tDVNLrnA

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The plan is six seasons. This has reportedly been the plan from the start.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MiddleOne posted:

I dunno, Kreese isn't a complete lunatic by the start of the first karate-kid movie. He's just a war-brained vet that can't handle losing. It's not until KK3 that he goes completely off the deep end and becomes what he is in Cobra Kai.
That's true, he's not organizing his students into gangs to attack other students or do weird rituals in the woods at that point. He was doing something that was sadly common in the karate world: using karate to get people to lower their defenses and accept an abusive, cultish environment. (The air of foreign mysticism around karate would lull people into accepting things that they'd object to if it was coming from a guy coaching a basketball team or pretty much any other after-school program.)

Sand Monster posted:

Skip the below if you don't want to read rants about how I'm annoyed by an unrealistic TV show...
This is all true, but now that I think about it, it's realistic in the timeline of Karate Kid. Like, in The Next Karate Kid, some school administrators allowed a fake "colonel" to organize a fraternity/paramilitary of students that enforce the school rules. By beating up kids who litter. In dad jeans.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Lol the actors will be in their mid to late 20s playing high school kids.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

And a movie????

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

It does seem like they're approaching a natural 4 act climax in season 4, but if they have a 6 season plan then I trust it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Full circle then.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So you mean just like the original Karate Kid movie?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

PizzaProwler posted:

Full circle then.

TMMadman posted:

So you mean just like the original Karate Kid movie?

:thejoke:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Just have them go to college and get into karate hijinks there!

Actually, if you want to real world it, they could just all not get into their colleges elsewhere because of their record of fighting and such, or failing their studies because of too much karate war, and they all end up going to the same community college in LA!

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

VinylonUnderground posted:

TV shows are usually a generation-or-so behind because they reflect the writer's realities growing up as opposed to current realities. I got into plenty of scuffles in the '90s. Nothing as crazy as the show (obviously) but given dramatic license, I'm basically fine with that. Kids beat each other up. That didn't really stop until Columbine because that upset the social order the beatings were designed to enforce.

Absolutely. I was a kid in the late '80s and early '90s and I was constantly getting into fights. We moved around a lot so I was the perennial new kid, I was a bit socially awkward but a bit tough, and fights just always seemed to happen. It seems bizarre to me that a 12 year old coming home from school with bruises or a black eye was just shrugged off by my parents. Also that I could be given a black eye or giving someone else a black eye and a couple of weeks later we'd be friends. But that's just how it was; until relatively recently it was just accepted that boys would occasionally beat the poo poo out of each other and there was very little consequence, at least in working class communities. Tae Kwon Do lessons, funnily enough, (only martial arts school in my town) taught me to control my temper and avoid getting into fights just before kids fighting became socially unacceptable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love the running gag that everyone runs into their rival literally anywhere they go, all the time.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love the running gag that everyone runs into their rival literally anywhere they go, all the time.

Yeah like isn't this supposed to be LA?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
People used to point that out with Sex and the City in NYC, too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I drive a BBW posted:

I really like this show, but my hope is that it ends with some kids from an MMA gym showing up, saying wtf is it 1985, and beats all the karate kids up.

My wife does a lot of martial arts stuff, and made a similar point. Cobra Kai would just *be* MMA at this point...they're an ahistorical martial arts studio in the Valley with an ethos based around becoming a tough, violent badass. It'd be wall-to-wall UFC and Tapout poo poo inside. When my wife started self-defense classes, it was mostly Krav Maga and then almost immediately random other stuff - Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, whatever. Never just one style.

Which I see as a feature, not a bug...it's an alternate reality California where the cops don't intervene ever and karate is king.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURu5v3sU2k

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I mean, I ran into people all the time when I lived in a lovely suburb (edit: which is the kind of place Cobra Kai takes place, I did not grow up in San Gabs but I have friends from that area. My original wording made it sounds like I lived there and I did not want to be misconstrued) and when I was in NYC. In the lovely suburb, it was because there were only so many places to be so of course everyone was there. The only other show I know set in the San Gabs is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (another amazing show). Crazy Ex-Girlfriend gives a gritty real world view filtered through an ironic musical lens. In the '80s though? lovely suburbs were KINGS.

In the suburbs as a kid, there are only so many places you can go so you are bound to run into people. It's inescapable. Similarly, as an adult we create our world, so no matter where we live we end up running into the same people because the people we run into regularly enough to remember and be cordial (but not friends) basically like all the same things we do.

Again, this is a throwback. Honestly, I've found that in the last 10 years it has become a lot harder just to talk to people in bars and restaurants. So naturally, you notice fewer people at the same place. I mean, Johnny makes sense to me. Go to a bar, bump into somebody and spill their drink, buy 'em a drink and then you've got somebody to talk to for the rest of the evening. And because those are the kind of places you go to, you'll run into them in other places as well. It works high class too, you just have to be able to cover their drink and believe them when they say whatever they were drinking. To a degree. You can face-save if they say something like laguvanin 18. You just call them a bullshitter and get them the 15 or 12 and be extra apologetic.

VinylonUnderground fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 9, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone else found it weird that when Daniel goes to see Miguel he gets yelled at and told to that he never wants to see him again, but then like a few days later his family asks to pray for him and Daniel doesn't consider that it would be a bad idea that he would show up?

Or am I misremembering something?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Re: the defending the lovely bully behaviour chat, I'm of two minds. On one hand, giving a backstory to a cartoonish villain like Kreese works, since he's such a crazy character, it helps contextualise why he's like that and why be will never accept defeat. It doesn't excuse his actions, just helps explain them. It's a nice way to flesh out '80s Movie Villian'.

Arguably it's also the genus of the series in the first place - from the get go we are introduced to former villian Johnny in real depth, and grow to love his antics, understand his world view and forgive his lovely past behaviour.

Cobra Kai tries to excuse the villain behaviour of the the teenagers by giving them characters these backstories, both to make them more interesting and excuse their actions when drama calls for it. It partly works because they're teenagers. Though realistically I don't think Eli or Tory are really redeemable after the poo poo they've pulled, but the show does try to put them in a sympathetic light. I think bringing back the season one bullies is a way to simply have some teenage goons we can readily hate whilst the other main kids from both sides can swap allegiances when the story calls for it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Also, I've never seen Karate Kid 3 - am I to assume the guy in the Vietnamese prison flashback who owes his life to Kreese is this Terry Silver character whom Kreese calls at the end of Season 3?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
This show is written like pro wrestling - absolutely anybody can do a face or a heel turn at any moment. I fully expect Hawk and Tori to be redeemed in S4.