Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, don't get me wrong the storming of the capitol by a bunch of right-wing zealots with the apparent complicity of the police is not a trivial event in itself and reveals a shocking vulnerability in the us state apparatus, but these guys aren't anywhere near organised or embedded or just basically *serious* enough to pull off an actual revolution/coup/whatever by themselves. if this is really turned into another war on terror idiot zone only based on further curtailing domestic liberties and allowing the mass surveillance to become overt, it's a loss for almost everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Trump just got banned

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnEdgelord posted:

Trump just got banned

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1347709776843649025?s=20

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

what IS lore? I can't tell what the gently caress its about or what any of the episodes are about

quote:

Humans are very good at making assumptions. But if we look a little deeper, our preconceived ideas about some of the most common bits of folklore won’t just change—they’ll transform into something terrifying.

Thanks, great description YOU gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Listening to the part of the recent Chapo episode where they mentioned Anderson Cooper being an elitist piece of poo poo reminded me of one of the stranger liberal tendencies - normie liberals who aren't remotely well-off but are still elitist. So many working class liberals who also consume normie media and eat at normie restaurants, yet are still super elitist about stuff like Olive Garden or a certain subset of reality TV shows. It's like some sort of bizarre aspirational elitism. Like the liberal version of poor chuds who admire Trump.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

lol those last 5 seconds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Listening to the part of the recent Chapo episode where they mentioned Anderson Cooper being an elitist piece of poo poo reminded me of one of the stranger liberal tendencies - normie liberals who aren't remotely well-off but are still elitist. So many working class liberals who also consume normie media and eat at normie restaurants, yet are still super elitist about stuff like Olive Garden or a certain subset of reality TV shows. It's like some sort of bizarre aspirational elitism. Like the liberal version of poor chuds who admire Trump.

to be fair Olive Garden is loving terrible https://www.businessinsider.com/olive-garden-still-wont-salt-pasta-2016-4

quote:

According to executives, adding salt to the boiling water could jeopardize warranties on pots. The company reportedly decided that updated sauces added enough flavor to the pasta on their own, without added salt.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah my friends have the same middle brow snobbery when i know if someone put a chili’s hamburger in front of them and charged $5 extra they’d think it was great. that’s people i guess. it’s just a cultural identifier

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

So many working class liberals who also consume normie media and eat at normie restaurants, yet are still super elitist about stuff like Olive Garden or a certain subset of reality TV shows. It's like some sort of bizarre aspirational elitism. Like the liberal version of poor chuds who admire Trump.

there's a lot going on here. many now-working-class-libs you speak of probably had it relatively anywhere from "working-poor but not destitute desperate impoverty" to "cul-de-sac cheap rear end "starter tract house" with facade of middle-class life" many often within whiteflighty-zones or adjunct regardless of wealth, generally only experiencing much of the outside world getting shuttled from chain to chain: the olive garden was your birthday party, or maybe you went to the chillis, or maybe the outback steakhouse. kids can feel and experience a sort of alienation of this fake manufacturering of happiness and society; but they don't understand it. It's something they later learn in college (or elsewhere/media) that sorry, well actually their life didn't have to be so alienated and poo poo growing up. that grows into a resentment of this alienating fakeish society. maybe you start to experience local ethnic community restaurants and other stuff and your eyes get open to Better Things Are Possible and such.

then on more a practical-level if you get down to it, OG/outback/chilis/applebees are actually pretty loving expensive and usually same or more expensive than small-places. something like cheesecake factory is insanely rear end expensive. poor people aren't eating there regularly. so you can feel like you can poo poo on it moreso intending to poo poo on white-flight promised-land alienated-americana.

and 100% applebees is pure loving trash. there's honestly no defending it. but ultimately when libs get elitist about chains it's really more a psychological reaction to the despair and promised-land alientation that they've wrought, or rather mentally correlated, with america and the mental anguish that they instinctively know they're completely powerless to have anything better so it's lashing-out

that said gently caress libs who get elitist about fast food. irredeemable. gulag them all

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Jan 9, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about olive garden but just for the fellas? olive guyden

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
red knobster

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
inback meathouse

no rubbers, just right

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ytlaya posted:

Trump hates his hogs just as much as Anderson Cooper does.

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1347968775941976067

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Bodenga

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Putting salt in the water you boil pasta in is anti-Italian and I appluad Olive Garden for continuing to be a place I can take my Italian grandparents when they visit the US.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

applebee’s actually is bad i agree, and i usually like any garbage enthusiastically. it’s like chili’s on 2 bottles of robitussin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
appleHIV's

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

there's a lot going on here. many now-working-class-libs you speak of probably had it relatively anywhere from "working-poor but not destitute desperate impoverty" to "cul-de-sac cheap rear end "starter tract house" with facade of middle-class life" many often within whiteflighty-zones or adjunct regardless of wealth, generally only experiencing much of the outside world getting shuttled from chain to chain: the olive garden was your birthday party, or maybe you went to the chillis, or maybe the outback steakhouse. kids can feel and experience a sort of alienation of this fake manufacturering of happiness and society; but they don't understand it. It's something they later learn in college (or elsewhere/media) that sorry, well actually their life didn't have to be so alienated and poo poo growing up. that grows into a resentment of this alienating fakeish society. maybe you start to experience local ethnic community restaurants and other stuff and your eyes get open to Better Things Are Possible and such.

then on more a practical-level if you get down to it, OG/outback/chilis/applebees are actually pretty loving expensive and usually same or more expensive than small-places. something like cheesecake factory is insanely rear end expensive. poor people aren't eating there regularly. so you can feel like you can poo poo on it moreso intending to poo poo on white-flight promised-land alienated-americana.

and 100% applebees is pure loving trash. there's honestly no defending it. but ultimately when libs get elitist about chains it's really more a psychological reaction to the despair and promised-land alientation that they've wrought, or rather mentally correlated, with america and the mental anguish that they instinctively know they're completely powerless to have anything better so it's lashing-out

that said gently caress libs who get elitist about fast food. irredeemable. gulag them all

I'm not talking about the sort of person who prefers "ethnic restaurants" or whatever, but rather the sort of person who enjoys Outback while being elitist about McDonald's, or who watches plenty of random normie television while thinking that The Voice is trash for "Joe Public."

I've only seen what I'm describing with older liberals, though, so it might be that this is just the older person version of the "condescends about eating at 'ethnic restaurants' and only listening to NPR" person (which seems more common among millenials and younger).

edit: Basically why I called it "aspirational" is that it seems like it happens with people who really look up to the more "sophisticated" upper-middle class liberal

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Jan 9, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mcmagic posted:

the biggest, most beautiful pot

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

yeah my friends have the same middle brow snobbery when i know if someone put a chili’s hamburger in front of them and charged $5 extra they’d think it was great. that’s people i guess. it’s just a cultural identifier

blow someone's mind by ordering something from It's Just Wings and revealing the secret of their creation at Chili's

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how about olive garden but just for the fellas? olive guyden

they have this for haircuts already it's called Sport Clips

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

but rather the sort of person who enjoys Outback while being elitist about McDonald's
well those people 100% suck

i didn't mention reality TV but it's the same thing for at least millennial +/- type working-class libs, they also grew up with increasing quantity of reality tv having seen decline and profit-maximization of media from a kid, teen, through adulthood. it's a grotesque voyeurism chasing to form para-social relationships in face of being disconnected and alienated from any sort of society and community but humanity still instinctively craves it. so TV is there to re-sell that back to you on the cheap, particularly reality. When they get snobby about it, it's pretty much a reaction to their own lived experiences that they then despise that's what they had when it didn't need to be that way, and the powerlessness in face of it. so yeah i know a lot of younger libs who dislike expensive chain sit-downs and cable TV although i don't think it necessary comes from a place of elitism because they probably don't see it that way and rather lived-experienced the symptoms and use tat as a correlation = causation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

visualize the meta-thread connecting all of the chain restaurant opinion derails which happens in every thread

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

scarfing down bigmacs in 80s nylon shorts and a polo adhered to my moobs with sweat, high classily

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Victory Position posted:

blow someone's mind by ordering something from It's Just Wings and revealing the secret of their creation at Chili's

one time i was staying with this wealthy democratic party aspirant gay man in gentrified harlem, just the absolute caricature of what people in here would understand as a warren PMC elitist lib. for a laugh he wanted to go eat at guy fieri’s restaurant in times square, ironically, to make fun of it or something i guess

so we went to guy’s restaurant with a few ppl, ordered drinks, and the waiter was cool, the food was genuinely delicious (ordered the most bangin stuff on the menu), and everyone had a great time. probably a lesson there about irony being a stupid loving motivation for doing anything

anyway i miss going out

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

so yeah i know a lot of younger libs who dislike expensive chain sit-downs and cable TV although i don't think it necessary comes from a place of elitism because they probably don't see it that way and rather lived-experienced the symptoms and use tat as a correlation = causation.

Disliking them is fine; it only really becomes elitism when you start acting like people who like such things are dumbass rube sheeple

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

uh oh

https://twitter.com/Wildman_AZ/status/1347998602161840128

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
i like how sinister they make "finally pressing the button on bans that were under consideration for a million years because nobody at twitter gave a poo poo" sound

THS
Sep 15, 2017

wow love censorship!!!!! this will never be used against leftists

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

They’re going to do the Reddit thing where they ban 100000 left-adjacent accounts to show how even handed they are

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
First they came for the President,
Then they came for the President's alts,
Then they came for politically incoherent shitpost podcasters,

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I dont really get the people fear mongering about how the big tech banhammer is going to be used to silence the left. I think its good actually, maybe some of us need to get forced offline so we can actually organize a coherent left

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

wonder how long the true anon account will last

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

THS posted:

one time i was staying with this wealthy democratic party aspirant gay man in gentrified harlem, just the absolute caricature of what people in here would understand as a warren PMC elitist lib. for a laugh he wanted to go eat at guy fieri’s restaurant in times square, ironically, to make fun of it or something i guess

so we went to guy’s restaurant with a few ppl, ordered drinks, and the waiter was cool, the food was genuinely delicious (ordered the most bangin stuff on the menu), and everyone had a great time. probably a lesson there about irony being a stupid loving motivation for doing anything

anyway i miss going out

did he get the donkey sauce

THS
Sep 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did he get the donkey sauce

yes

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Guy Fieri's tourist type restaurants in american cities are legit really good, and fun. None of the chain restaurants are though. thank you for this opportunity to vent

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao excited for Adam to get assassinated by a red scare fan.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
I think Anna just deactivated so she wouldn't get deleted?
Fingers crossed for TrueAnon to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Nooooo