Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i love my bevvie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

aka coal-powered cars with _really_ long tailpipes :salt:

or the nuclear car with excellent isolation!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

aka coal-powered cars with _really_ long tailpipes :salt:

um we havent ruined most of our great rivers for hydrodams just to be called coal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Gentle Autist posted:

can toyota and mazda and ford please start making good bevs plz
one of the main reasons tesla is ahead in this game is that traditional carmakers dont actually want to sell you EVs, which is why they've been trying to sell you hybrids, or lovely EVs, or make big noise about technologies like hydrogen that will never, ever be an actual market force. now that they are actually being forced by investors and public policy to start making decent EVs, they are trying, but their products still, by and large, suck major rear end in a top hat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah tbh i talk poo poo about BEVs but it's a step. The next step is to bukkake spray pebble bed reactors everywhere and cover 10% of abandoned arizona desert with solar thermal plants, which would power the entirety of the united states for free for 30 years until they need to swap out the sodium

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah tbh i talk poo poo about BEVs but it's a step. The next step is to bukkake spray pebble bed reactors everywhere and cover 10% of abandoned arizona desert with solar thermal plants, which would power the entirety of the united states for free for 30 years until they need to swap out the sodium

extremely this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

apparently there's really impressive stuff coming out with liquid metal batteries which we should be able to manufacture at the utility-scale necessary to totally cut over to renewables. can't remember the name of the company but they've already got several installations. they're made out of really basic materials, aren't anywhere near as volatile as lithium-ion batteries, and are designed to be able to withstand orders of magnitude more cycles

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

one of the main reasons tesla is ahead in this game is that traditional carmakers dont actually want to sell you EVs, which is why they've been trying to sell you hybrids, or lovely EVs, or make big noise about technologies like hydrogen that will never, ever be an actual market force. now that they are actually being forced by investors and public policy to start making decent EVs, they are trying, but their products still, by and large, suck major rear end in a top hat

is there a like a cost thing, laziness?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nz is 85%+ renewables (mostly hydro) so I can feel quite smug about our shitbox leaf

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jonny 290 posted:

cover 10% of abandoned arizona desert with solar thermal plants, which would power the entirety of the united states for free for 30 years until they need to swap out the sodium

could the grid even deal with something like this currently (NOT a pun)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

shareholders are much happier hearing "we sold 15000000 high margin SUVS last year" than "we spent $10bil on research and establishing battery supplier contracts for cars we might sell at cost if the government renews tax credits." gm at least seems to be taking electrification seriously, although i'm skeptical of all of those promised charging stations appearing anytime soon

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Toyota is all like: Hey yeah, we've been in the battery game for a while with the prius and while it makes for a neat accessory with the kinetic energy recovery system giving the drive train a little boost, the downsides of battery-only are too many. Long charge times, sucks in cold weather, limited range, and general wear and tear. Replacing the battery in a prius is like, $2k? And replacing the battery in a Tesla is somewhere around $20k. That's a big 2nd and 3rd owner's problem.

They are really beating the drum on hydrogen, all the perks of quick fill ups with none of the emissions. Two big problems to overcome, first being infrastructure of hydrogen stations. Nobody is going to build them if there are no hydrogen cars on the road, and nobody is going to buy the cars if theres no hydrogen stations.

The second problem is the fuel cells are like, fifty bajillion psi and that's one hell of a bomb going off in an accident, or if they are not properly maintained. But toyota seems to think they've got this licked with advanced material science and they sell a hydrogen car in california and hawaii.

Behold: The Toyota Mirai:

I think they are neat. Also, RWD :getin:

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

but probably a technological dead end cuz $$$$$$ T S L A $$$$$$

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so it’s an hydrogen internal combustion?

do they have significantly different properties or much the same?

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

PIZZA.BAT posted:

all signs are pointing to the mach e being pretty good. shame that it looks like a mustang that really let itself go

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

echinopsis posted:

Inhales oxygen, combines with stored hydrogen through "chemistry" to charge little battery, battery powers electric motor. pisses water

about the best of my understanding

PS: Echi, you and me got the same taste in cars I think. That 222D is the poo poo. I wanna wrestle with that beast.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

no, it's a fuel cell, which is like a battery where instead of recharging it when it's dead you swap out the exhausted chemicals inside for fresh stuff. then the next logical step is putting pipes on the ends so you can have a continuous flow of chemicals through the system from some larger storage tank.

the energy comes from the same place as burning hydrogen (the binding energy released when you combine hydrogen and oxygen into water) but it's done through an electrochemical reaction that directly creates electric current.

hydrogen fuel cells are a great idea in isolation. the problem with them is that hydrogen is a loving awful fuel logistically. it's a gas at everything but extreme cryogenic temperatures, and not just any gas, but one so tiny that it tends to leak past every known sort of seal and valve. also as a gas it's very light, so the only way to get reasonable energy density is to compress it at hundreds of atmospheres in carbon fiber tanks that go off like a bomb if breached. it's also difficult to store and dispense at fueling stations, and the only eco-friendly way of generating it is through electrolysis, which is inefficient and requires tons of electrical power (i.e. nuclear).

i personally think that the way of the future is the direct-methanol fuel cell. it generates electricity just like a hydrogen cell but it's fueled with methanol, which in turn can be made sustainably through fermentation. or just bioengineer some algae to produce it and grow it in a giant patch in the gulf of mexico. as a liquid fuel, methanol has far better energy density than hydrogen and it can be dispensed with a bucket and a hose. DMFCs produce carbon dioxide as well as water, but less of it, and if it's originally from biological sources instead of fossil fuels it's carbon-neutral.

those cells aren't available in a form that is suitable for cars yet, and we don't have the gene-hacked algae. hopefully soon

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

^^^ Thank you, much better explanation.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i might be off on this but i feel hydrogen fuel cells made much more sense 10-15 years ago, but high density batteries have become so much cheaper and more widely manufactured that nothing else is competitive at this point. the real advantage over any alternative fuel be it hydrogen or methanol is the infrastructure: everyone with a home has the capability to charge a car; even at 120V 90% of people can get the range they need for daily usage with an overnight charge

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

apparently there's really impressive stuff coming out with liquid metal batteries which we should be able to manufacture at the utility-scale necessary to totally cut over to renewables. can't remember the name of the company but they've already got several installations. they're made out of really basic materials, aren't anywhere near as volatile as lithium-ion batteries, and are designed to be able to withstand orders of magnitude more cycles
biggest problem with liquid metal batteries are they operate at like 500C, so there's still a LOT of work, especially on the materials side, to be done getting them up to any sort of scale

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

no, it's a fuel cell, which is like a battery where instead of recharging it when it's dead you swap out the exhausted chemicals inside for fresh stuff. then the next logical step is putting pipes on the ends so you can have a continuous flow of chemicals through the system from some larger storage tank.

the energy comes from the same place as burning hydrogen (the binding energy released when you combine hydrogen and oxygen into water) but it's done through an electrochemical reaction that directly creates electric current.

hydrogen fuel cells are a great idea in isolation. the problem with them is that hydrogen is a loving awful fuel logistically. it's a gas at everything but extreme cryogenic temperatures, and not just any gas, but one so tiny that it tends to leak past every known sort of seal and valve. also as a gas it's very light, so the only way to get reasonable energy density is to compress it at hundreds of atmospheres in carbon fiber tanks that go off like a bomb if breached. it's also difficult to store and dispense at fueling stations, and the only eco-friendly way of generating it is through electrolysis, which is inefficient and requires tons of electrical power (i.e. nuclear).

i personally think that the way of the future is the direct-methanol fuel cell. it generates electricity just like a hydrogen cell but it's fueled with methanol, which in turn can be made sustainably through fermentation. or just bioengineer some algae to produce it and grow it in a giant patch in the gulf of mexico. as a liquid fuel, methanol has far better energy density than hydrogen and it can be dispensed with a bucket and a hose. DMFCs produce carbon dioxide as well as water, but less of it, and if it's originally from biological sources instead of fossil fuels it's carbon-neutral.

those cells aren't available in a form that is suitable for cars yet, and we don't have the gene-hacked algae. hopefully soon

Thanks for this.

I think it was something you said ages ago, similar to the last paragraph, about us eventually coming back to using carbon fuels because their energy density and ease of use leaves everything so far behind

Jenny Agutter posted:

i might be off on this but i feel hydrogen fuel cells made much more sense 10-15 years ago, but high density batteries have become so much cheaper and more widely manufactured that nothing else is competitive at this point. the real advantage over any alternative fuel be it hydrogen or methanol is the infrastructure: everyone with a home has the capability to charge a car; even at 120V 90% of people can get the range they need for daily usage with an overnight charge

its not hard to find material on peak oil or whatever, but are there simply enough children in the congo to mine cobalt at the rates required to make the worlds batteries

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buddy, do you know how cheap it is to make kids?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Chris Knight posted:

biggest problem with liquid metal batteries are they operate at like 500C, so there's still a LOT of work, especially on the materials side, to be done getting them up to any sort of scale

apparently the energy necessary to keep them at temperature is made up for their better efficiency compared to lithium. iirc the big obstacle now is making the ceramics necessary to house the batteries but it's mostly a scale thing, not an engineering or science problem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im sure 500c liquid metal wont be bad to get on your skin or in your eyes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, it would suck, but where do you think utility scale liquid metal batteries are going to be found?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the glove box? gently caress i don’t know how hot metal makes car go brrr

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

by making electricity in a big power generation station so that you can plug in your car into the wall at home and charge it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh not portable car sized ones

just olympic sized swimming pools of wet phase metal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah. but probably with, like, a fence around them or something. you know, so you won't get it in your hair.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Jenny Agutter posted:

shareholders are much happier hearing "we sold 15000000 high margin SUVS last year" than "we spent $10bil on research and establishing battery supplier contracts for cars we might sell at cost if the government renews tax credits." gm at least seems to be taking electrification seriously, although i'm skeptical of all of those promised charging stations appearing anytime soon
this but the other, possibly larger reason is parts. the car industry is pretty low margin and a lot of that is off parts, unfortunately BEVs lack a transmission, exhaust system, fuel system, and tons of other things. essentially DLC for cars, and often poorly engineered ones that conveniently break.

Jonny 290 posted:

every nuclear engineer ive talked to says that pebble reactors, thorium etc are some fringe new age poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

come over and help me charge my jo pebble

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this but the other, possibly larger reason is parts. the car industry is pretty low margin and a lot of that is off parts, unfortunately BEVs lack a transmission, exhaust system, fuel system, and tons of other things. essentially DLC for cars, and often poorly engineered ones that conveniently break.

it’s estimated that the lifetime cost of ownership of a bev is 10k-15k$ less than an ice vehicle even taking the higher initial purchase price into account

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hydrogen is a dead end because of the reasons mentioned above. compressing hydrogen to useable levels take a huge amount of energy. it doesn’t make sense.

it’s clear that battery electric cars are the future, unless some tech breakthrough comes along in the next few years. batteries increase in capacity at about 10% per year. the prices are high now, but they are coming down. by 2030 BEVs should comprise a big majority of new car sales.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, now that it's possible to make a battery car with equivalent range to a gas car, the main downsides are just cost and charging time. (and resource usage, but shifting away from oil probably evens it out some).

once you have an electric car that can charge say 10 to 90 in half an hour, which exists today, and that technology is built out everywhere and not just tesla stations, you've taken away most of the downsides. and you get the huge benefit of being able to refuel at home and transfer fuel anywhere instantly with wires instead of trucks.

the charging time is the real killer though. the fastest chargers today can do something like 200 kilowatts. an average gas pump dispenses energy at a rate of 22 megawatts, 100 times faster

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and slow charging is still better for the battery health right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Day of 2020 posted:

PS: Echi, you and me got the same taste in cars I think. That 222D is the poo poo. I wanna wrestle with that beast.

in my wildest dreams friend

this thread is also gonna act as a dumping ground for the sick car pics I come across

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that’s an old toyota corona but it’s got some insane conversion in there. love sleepers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
been looking at an ls400 with that world famous lexus v8

it’s a good engine boys
there’s a youtube showing the magnitude of engineering that went into it. incredible piece of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy