Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

spacetoaster posted:

So looking at that I'd just immediately lie and say whatever I figured they'd want to hear.

But would that be a red flag too I wonder?

no, that is explicitly what they want you to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

spacetoaster posted:

So looking at that I'd just immediately lie and say whatever I figured they'd want to hear.

Oh hey I just took that test yesterday. They ask slight variations on the same question a dozen times (spaced out over the course of 200 questions) to make sure you're answering consistently and explicitly tell you that speed is a factor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I've wondered that a lot for these kinds of tests, cuz like, of course literally everyone's gonna do that, so if you're clever about it you could use it as a test of "has this person been socialized the right way to know the correct mask to wear in public on the job" or if you're even more clever about it use it as a way to filter out minorities in a way that you couldn't get sued over, because I bet there's subtle but measurable differences in the mental model of "what white people want to hear from me, a black person".

On the other hand, management is real fuckin' stupid, and the companies that sell these sorts of things to management are even fuckin' stupider, so it's also entirely possible that they just take everything at face value.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

as long as they catch the one dude out of 10000 who answers the question "its ok to sometimes steal from work" with anything but strongly disagree

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i remeber one job i applied for at a non-profit there were like a dozen questions to describe the feel-goods you would get from working for said company. this was just the online application, not even an interview

anyway i spent 3 hours writing bullshit essays on top of the regular application where you just rewrite everything in your resume and i didn't even get a call or a thank you for your submission letter until 6 months later

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Oh hey I just took that test yesterday. They ask slight variations on the same question a dozen times (spaced out over the course of 200 questions) to make sure you're answering consistently and explicitly tell you that speed is a factor.

Jesus christ 200 questions lmao gently caress that.

Reminded me though, when I applied to my first job I had to do a little online test to show I knew how fuckin' Powerpoint worked and that was like... 40 questions. It was also hilariously broken and they stopped making people take it after hiring me apparently. Like it would show you a screenshot of powerpoint that you'd pretend was the real thing, and ask you to do something like:

:goleft: "Please save the current file."
:) "Okay, let me just hit ctrl-S and"
:goleft: "INCORRECT, you have ONE REMAINING ATTEMPT"
:crossarms: "O...kay... let me just click the fuckin' save icon right there in the toolbar then and..."
:goleft: "YOU HAVE ANSWERED THE QUESTION INCORRECTLY. CLICK TO MOVE ON"
:confused: "O...kay..."

I quickly figured out the only acceptable answer was to do every single operation in the least convenient possible way. It was expecting me to go up to the File menu, then select Save. I sure hope you remember which menu dropdown everything's under too because if you click the wrong one you got it wrong immediately!

I talked to the HR/recruiter person who was handling it after I barely passed and she was like "oh yeah we know, everyone gets all the easy ones wrong so as long as you passed overall we only really look at the harder ones that generally have only one way to do them" but like 75% of them were "the easy ones" so good luck passing in the first place.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

spacetoaster posted:

The answers are so obvious that I often wonder if answering them all 'right' is a disqualification because you're not being honest or some poo poo.

A new thing I've encountered on the job hunt recently is answering screener questions with a robot over the phone. In one interview it explained that I had unlimited time to think of the answer after the question was asked and that I could rerecord my answer after tapping 1. On the first question it timed out after 30 seconds, would not let me rerecord, and immediately skipped to the next question.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shneak posted:

The answers are so obvious that I often wonder if answering them all 'right' is a disqualification because you're not being honest or some poo poo.

A new thing I've encountered on the job hunt recently is answering screener questions with a robot over the phone. In one interview it explained that I had unlimited time to think of the answer after the question was asked and that I could rerecord my answer after tapping 1. On the first question it timed out after 30 seconds, would not let me rerecord, and immediately skipped to the next question.

Ah, good old Avaya.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Shneak posted:

i know that in some clinical tests they have questions to check if you're lying (e.g. 'i have better manners elsewhere than in my own home' which is just true for almost everyone)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
a lot of corps tell you to reapply in a few months if you get rejected, probably aware that hiring and hr in general is bullshit

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Homocow posted:

I hate this poo poo because it acts like a subtle form of propaganda. From an early age people are fed a message that the purpose of life is to work, that life has no meaning without work, that people who don't want to devote their lives to work are lazy and immoral, that people who don't like work are bad people or radicals, etc...

it's giving me flashbacks to my second "real" job where one of the guys on our team would dedicate 80+ hours per week to work and brag about how little time he spends with his wife and kids like it was some point of pride and our goddamn manager applauded him for it. I remember exactly how I felt and what I said. I said his life sounded sad, that people shouldn't "live to work" they should only work enough to spend their time doing more fulfilling things

to which I got scolded by our manager for having "a childish attitude" about work, notably that I wasn't "trying to lead a fulfilling career". I only stayed there for like 6 months and I was unironically suicidal when I left because of their dystopian "corporate culture"

the original point was that those questions are hosed up because everybody who takes the test is going to see those questions and unconsciously absorb the idea that they should want to become a slave to capital... but I think I'm preaching to the choir here

preaching to the choir, etc... but here's an article about exactly that (which i read while loving off at my lovely job today):

Workism Is Making Americans Miserable

For the college-educated elite, work has morphed into a religious identity—promising transcendence and community, but failing to deliver.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/02/religion-workism-making-americans-miserable/583441/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to kick over every one of these I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0q8mJpw38

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Speleothing posted:

I had to do that for a warehouse job like a decade ago.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

It's the baseline test from Bladerunner 2049

Do they make you follow rules you don't agree with? Cells

Cells

Does working hard make you feel good? Interlinked

Interlinked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUEHYb4YgqI

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

skooma512 posted:

It's the baseline test from Bladerunner 2049

Do they make you follow rules you don't agree with? Cells

Cells

Does working hard make you feel good? Interlinked

Interlinked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUEHYb4YgqI

am i the only one who hated 2049? i don't even remember this baseline poo poo.

when i saw those pics all i could think of was the voight kompt test

is the voight kompt test not good enough anymore???

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

IAMKOREA posted:

Voight Kampff was to determine whether or not someone is a replicant; I think this was a test to make sure the replicant isn't going rogue/losing their mind.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

IAMKOREA posted:

preaching to the choir, etc... but here's an article about exactly that (which i read while loving off at my lovely job today):

Workism Is Making Americans Miserable

For the college-educated elite, work has morphed into a religious identity—promising transcendence and community, but failing to deliver.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/02/religion-workism-making-americans-miserable/583441/

Man let's rename capitalism "Workitalism"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to kick over every one of these I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0q8mJpw38

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY is such a loving terrifyingly dystopian sentence

e: Lmao at them talking up DESIGNED AND BUILT IN SILICON VALLEY written on it like some kind of feature instead of a cautionary warning

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jan 8, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait what the gently caress there's two million cops and rental cops?? And they think that's not enough!?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Voight Kampff was to determine whether or not someone is a replicant; I think this was a test to make sure the replicant isn't going rogue/losing their mind.

oh well maybe the baseline test is more relevant then; in 2021 we're basically just replicants to our late capitalist overlords

another mediocre (but true) atlantic article:

The Life in The Simpsons Is No Longer Attainable

The most famous dysfunctional family of 1990s television enjoyed, by today’s standards, an almost dreamily secure existence.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/life-simpsons-no-longer-attainable/617499/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also like that the graphs they have at the end show crimes going down but arrests going up somehow so I guess they just arrested some extra people for funsies

e: Lmao thank god

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Jan 8, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Wait what the gently caress there's two million cops and rental cops?? And they think that's not enough!?

Until the last Karen is no longer accosted by a poor while walking into Whole FoodsJeff Bezos, it will never be enough.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I also like that the graphs they have at the end show crimes going down but arrests going up somehow so I guess they just arrested some extra people for funsies

Nah, they're just projecting fewer unsolved crimes. Police case close rates aren't exactly CSI tier despite what copaganda would tell you.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

this is great news for my prison stocks!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Complications posted:

Nah, they're just projecting fewer unsolved crimes. Police case close rates aren't exactly CSI tier despite what copaganda would tell you.

It was specifically "crime reports" so I think another explanation could just be that lovely dildo ED-209 here saw the crime so nobody needed to report it or something

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Shame Boy posted:

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY is such a loving terrifyingly dystopian sentence

reminds me of "the technology of peace" from the brotherhood of nod

command & conquer is a documentary

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaat

blade runner 2049 is at least as good as the original

the baseline test is to make sure that joe doesn't have ptsd from murdering one of his own

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

When everyone on earth is a cop crime will be eliminated.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorson posted:

- Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gorson posted:

If a crime happens and a cop sees it without interfering, is it really a crime?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

If a crime happens and a cop sees it without interfering, is it really a crime?

Are they black

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shame Boy posted:

Are they black

The cop?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/pbaker/status/1347785318938775553

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol :ok:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

oh no, they might actually have to do some journalism instead of reprinting press releases

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
OFFICE OF WEATHERMAN
9 JANUARY 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

On 9 January, 2021, Weatherman released the following statement regarding the previous post by Jel Shaker:

quote:

"speaking of which, it shits me to no end when pompous idiots issue press releases that are fully crafted into a news "article" in its own right rather than an actual statement," Weatherman said.

He continued, "if you're making a statement then just make the loving statement and let the journalists/news robots work your words into the article instead of presuming to write it for them, you dickheads."

Weatherman is a poster on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums, which have been described as dead and gay, a description with which Weatherman neither agrees nor disagrees.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How the hell do you get a lifetime pasta pass, I want a lifetime pasta pass :(

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

How the hell do you get a lifetime pasta pass, I want a lifetime pasta pass :(

Be Sean Hannity.