Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m in some pre-CBS Fender guitars group on Facebook and they are bewildered as to why CBS and even newer guitars are being collected for a lot of money when one of them says “it’s like the only thing that matters is that something gets old enough! Crazy!”

He was so close to getting it.

lol that’s awesome. Self reflection is a hell of a useful thing for those that can stomach it huh.

Also, Mesa Boogie will be fine for the next few years as Randall Smith and Crew will still retain complete autonomy over their brand, just that Gibson gets the profits.

I’d give them two or three years before Gibson decides to completely gently caress everything up and begin the slow process of destroying the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m in some pre-CBS Fender guitars group on Facebook and they are bewildered as to why CBS and even newer guitars are being collected for a lot of money when one of them says “it’s like the only thing that matters is that something gets old enough! Crazy!”

He was so close to getting it.

This reminds me of an article I read a couple weeks back on a study of Stradivarius violins. Basically, noone could really tell the difference between a Stradivarius and a modern violin of equal quality, often preferring the modern one. Like, they're good violins which is why they've survived, but time hasn't made them inherently better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mesa Boogie bluetooth speaker by the end of 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stradivarius violins reminds me of a story my music teacher told (he was a crap teacher who preferred to tell stories about his life as a Serious Classical Composer than teach) about a minor scandal in the classical world involving a modern piece that was written to use a lot of a technique where you play the back, wood side of the bow against the instrument, meaning it basically ruins the instrument over time.

Apparently one virtuoso known for playing a Stradivarius stood up at the end of the piece and in smashed it in protest. He later revealed that no, he’d actually swapped it out for a cheaper one first but I like the image of a classical concert ending with a dude going Pete townsend on his Strad.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

lol that’s awesome. Self reflection is a hell of a useful thing for those that can stomach it huh.

Also, Mesa Boogie will be fine for the next few years as Randall Smith and Crew will still retain complete autonomy over their brand, just that Gibson gets the profits.

I’d give them two or three years before Gibson decides to completely gently caress everything up and begin the slow process of destroying the brand.

the big rumor is mesa themselves weren't doing so hot so they took the buyout

most likely they'll just keep running like normal but also put out some needlessly expensive gibson branded amps nobody buys before being sold off or shut down

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Tube amp market is slowly dying (not that slowly) and has been for years so they're getting out while it's good. Randall will probably stay on as consultant or something at a huge wage then bail when Gibson can't prop it up anymore.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think mesa's problem is they sell expensive products in a market where the only real growth is in the budget segment

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My thought is tube amps might start disappearing on the new market for big brands, but the boutique market will still survive. People are always gonna want the old tech even if it's on a smaller and more expensive scale. Mesa isn't boutique tho, and hasn't been for decades. Tubes themselves are apparently cheap to make so they'll keep being made by someone (probably Mike Matthews) and we'll likely see waves of new tube amps.

Personally I'll just keep buying used amps, maybe a new one occasionally. Tube market is shrinking, I 100% doubt it will disappear. I mean gently caress, Ham radios are still a thing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Honestly they also haven't really put out anything all that exciting in the last few years, just some guitar pedals and the cabclone. Neither of these ever really felt worth it for the price. Amp wise what was the last big thing they did that sold well, like some version of the dual rect?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Filmore and Badlander are the new ones. Badlander is a Dual Rec style amp, two identical channels that have clean/crunch/lead modes.

Filmore is also two identical channels, but it very much a clean and pedal platform amp. They sound cool.

But yeah, look at their site and it's like 5 models, with a few being similar anyway. They seem to prefer revising models than introducing new ones. Could be worse, they could be like Vox: twenty billion models and only a few that matter :v:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm surprised they haven't gone the Orange route and introduced some smaller lower wattage amps. That seems to be a good market for Orange.
I'm curious to know the sales numbers for the smaller ones vs the 100w heads.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they started making 25/10w versions of the dual rec and mark series about a decade ago

they're still like $1200 though

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I went to The Gear Page and started reading the thread on the Mesa dealy. It's loving amazing. Apparently Gibson buying Mesa is so bad it outdoes everything from last year. Rona, Trump, cops, all negligible because my tones are in danger.

It tracks with TGP perfectly but goddamn they're so... stereotypical guitarists.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they started making 25/10w versions of the dual rec and mark series about a decade ago

they're still like $1200 though

The power section is the least complicated thing about the Mark series so I bet it’s still packed with boards and relays and stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I would believe some financial troubles on Mesa's end based on how there have been different color/faceplate options for the mini amps that cost an extra like $500-1000 for a while and it's the only difference.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Mesa amps are generally well regarded in the bass community, and traditionally Gibson has been pretty clueless regarding bass stuff. My main bass amp is a Mesa M6 Carbine which has been great (though my main guitar amp is a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 which has been very unreliable). Hopefully they leave them alone enough so that they can keep making things like the Current Subway line they have.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
phil mcknight had a good point the other day asking who else was in a position to buy mesa

fender's the only other domestic instrument company (also backed by private equity like gibson) large enough to buy them, but they already have an active amp division, and they've already killed off sunn and swr

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Behringer effects pedals are now just $19 at Sweetwater following their partnership

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Just bought an SF300 and then checked my pedal board because I already have one. Hell yeah.

I'm gonna give it to a friend lol

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just bought an SF300 and then checked my pedal board because I already have one. Hell yeah.

I'm gonna give it to a friend lol

That effect is so subtle, I can imagine you forgot you had it...

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My SF300 arrived yesterday and it's revolting. I love it. Mode 1 and gain as low as possible makes the dirty bass tone I've been wanting for years

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I need to get my SF300 back off loan. I've really been getting into the Super Fuzz circuit lately - just modded mine this morning to turn the Who/Fu tone switch into a 50K pot so you can sweep between the two (basically Mode 1 and 2 on the SF/Hyper Fuzz circuit) and have gradual variations on the mid cut. The model I have has a Voltage input control so you can get the saggy dying battery sounds too.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Gonna unblock my rep and see if I can get a discount

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a 'Weird & Cool Music poo poo' thread? I'm talking about strange instruments, found object music, non-conventional playing and arrangement, that sort of thing. I know that's vague but I was thinking about maybe starting one because this stuff certainly doesn't belong ITT and I can't think of any appropriate thread in PYF. I'll start the thread in ML if you guys are into it.

Reason I bring this up is someone showed me this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9PyoiArys

And some of the haunting tones coming out of that thing reminded me very strongly of Colin Stetson's work, which a friend showed me a few weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rrPM01Jy8

I want to see more weird stuff like that.

I think you would enjoy following @dusttodigital on Twitter, Instagram.

They consistently blow my mind. Apparently everything on earth can make music and it's been done since time immemorial. Cultures that play drums on ocean waves, leafs, trees, clay. I saw a SE Asia tribe play an ancient sacred song that was a straight up death metal blast beat on pans. Just incredible content that makes me feel blessed to be human.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

one of the records I just bought on discord was "treated with" this

https://thelastfactory.com/product/last-record-preservative-2-oz/

what the gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hexwren posted:

what the gently caress

quote:

LAST Record Preservative chemically enhances the molecular stability, and therefore the cohesiveness of the groove surface.

so what is it, some kind of plastic coating you're supposed to spread a real real thin layer over and hope it doesn't collect too much in the little tiny notches?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I squirt it on my records straight from the snake’s rear end.

Shugojin posted:

so what is it, some kind of plastic coating you're supposed to spread a real real thin layer over and hope it doesn't collect too much in the little tiny notches?

Overuse is “harmless!”

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 12, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, it did not apply a layer of stuff to the groove, it fuses with the vinyl, which obviously can't possibly change the shape. I sure hope it's literally just water that evaporates.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

quote:

The 30-second treatment affects the vinyl to a depth of about ten molecular layers and becomes part of the groove wall. There are no surface residues for the stylus to pick up. In fact, overuse is harmless.

You see, it only affects the record to a depth of 10 molecules, so, like, it's all good. They measured it with an electron tunneling microscope at the Last Factory.

A similar product is used to tightly seal my Orgone accumulator's reservoir.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

hexwren posted:

what the gently caress

Sold to the same people who put rare earth stones under their speaker wire to prevent sound molecules from escaping through the floor.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

like, I don't particularly give a gently caress about the vinyl's crystal lattice, the record is in fantastic condition, gunk or no gunk, it's just...

did you need to put this in the condition section of the record and then stick tiny "last" stickers on the front cover, one of which tore the surface of the cover slightly when I tried to get it off, so it's really loving annoying?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hexwren posted:

stick tiny "last" stickers on the front cover, one of which tore the surface of the cover

Haha holy poo poo

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Im a little late to this, but I am considering picking up their noise gate to quiet down my single coil strat a bit. I assume that this won't mess with my other effects in the chain (which are only a reverb pedal and a boss looper). I dont know much about effects and chaining and all that. I am playing a little more bedroom electric (rather than acoustic) these days since I'm not out a the weekly bluegrass jam with COVID and all.

Also might pick up their tuner because at $19 may as well have one and not have to clip on the snark tuner all the time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Planet X posted:

Im a little late to this, but I am considering picking up their noise gate to quiet down my single coil strat a bit ... Also might pick up their tuner because at $19 may as well have one and not have to clip on the snark tuner all the time.

These are good ideas.

There's a joke somewhere in here about the pedals being cursed with infinite follow-up calls from Sweetwater reps, but I'm not creative enough to write the joke, and you're probably already getting those calls too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

These are good ideas.

There's a joke somewhere in here about the pedals being cursed with infinite follow-up calls from Sweetwater reps, but I'm not creative enough to write the joke, and you're probably already getting those calls too.

the photocopied boss pcbs inside each housing are replaced with a handful of tootsie rolls and mike & ikes

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khkKfMotNoI

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
You know the tie never comes off, not for anything.

And Toyah is 5 years younger than Kim Gordon.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How is Bobby Fripp doofing those chords like I would? I’ve seen the man play his rear end off live, although to be fair it was processed through what I can only describe as Alamos National Laboratory’s spare mainframe.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
In fairness, there's probably no tabs on YouTube for Metallica songs in new standard tuning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m putting this here because I get that I’m being weird and stupid but this is a $3000 Mesa amplifier where the tube socket screws keep the Mesa-branded tubes from seating cleanly and flush with the chassis. It works fine but jeez, they could’ve caught this at the CAD stage of design. Maybe keep this around as a data point when people bray about pre- and post-Gibson Mesa.