Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Picked it up too, highlight for me was the inclusion of Stones to Kill Chaos and just how powerfully Uz it is. Eat an earth priestess or god-talker to enchant a rock that heals your friends when you bean them with it! Consume an entire fire elemental using only your Bite attack to deal massive damage that ignores armor! Have a 75% chance of killing any non-Gorp Chaos monster if you eat a being killed by lightning, reason on its own to hang out with Orlanthi* or at least lurk around when they're killing each other.

* While this is nearly an exact reprint from Troll Gods, it omits the exception on the Brown Stone (75% Chaos insta-kill) which said that Lightning or Thunderbolt spells can't count for it. The connection to the ancestor cult of Boztakang that made the spell Troll-exclusive is also removed, which presumably means anyone with a very strong bite and stomach can use them now.

Create Foe-Curser and Hurling likewise don't mention their connection to Jakaboom or Vaneekara, which is a shame because I'm a fan of the Great Ancestors, but I suppose it stays true to the spell formatting in the original source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I also love Animate Loon, which seems to be a one shot duck-only spell that would make the scariest opponent in the game if it didn't have only like 30% to hit with its bite.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nanomashoes posted:

Red Book of Magic just dropped, got some fun spells in there. For example:we finally have a spell to make people orgasm.
Erotocomotose Lucidity has been a spell in the game since at least 1985.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nanomashoes posted:

I also love Animate Loon, which seems to be a one shot duck-only spell that would make the scariest opponent in the game if it didn't have only like 30% to hit with its bite.

One day there’ll be enough stuff for solars, then SurEnslib will probably have it for max heron power to protect against Alkoth.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One of my Glorantha campaign ideas that's been kicking around in the back of my head for years is being a group of Lunar Legionnaires from the provinces who are assigned to guard Dara Happa and having to suddenly deal with an Alkoth rebellion. The PC's find themselves protecting a bunch of chauvinist assholes who probably think the Alkothi are more civilized then them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I know the core Lunar provinces are Pelorian, but at this point don't they have Dara Happa pretty much under control? The remaining Dara Happan families who aren't in the Lunar cults still do their usual thing, but they don't get to treat anyone who's a Lunar initiate like they're not a person anymore and the urban women and rural populations are free to pursue the Way if they want.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I know the core Lunar provinces are Pelorian, but at this point don't they have Dara Happa pretty much under control? The remaining Dara Happan families who aren't in the Lunar cults still do their usual thing, but they don't get to treat anyone who's a Lunar initiate like they're not a person anymore and the urban women and rural populations are free to pursue the Way if they want.

They're not legally allowed, but 101,000 years of perfect masculine culture isn't just gonna go away in my Glorantha.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm going to do a nice, long writeup of my ongoing game when we're through a full year, but long story short - It's 1624, my players are members of a Lismelder clan. They bring gifts to a lunar mining operation in the Starfire Ridges (trying to excavate the ruins under there or free some of the cinder pits demons) and are greeted peacefully. They poison the lunars with rotten fish (given as a gift) and free the mining slaves in the confusion. The slaves at this installation aren't locals - they're captives from the White Moon rebellion.

Now, they're heading back to their village, which is on the river a few miles west of the Old Elf Ruins.

What does the blowback look like? Only a few of the Lunar guards died in the fight but they know the clan the players are from. I'm assuming that the brunt of the Lunar army is still working on the Temple of the Reaching moon, but I figure in the near to medium term we're looking at an occupation of the town, searches, a stepped-up local presence. I don't want to really crush them but I don't want to pull my punches on the reaction from the Empire.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mimir posted:

I'm going to do a nice, long writeup of my ongoing game when we're through a full year, but long story short - It's 1624, my players are members of a Lismelder clan. They bring gifts to a lunar mining operation in the Starfire Ridges (trying to excavate the ruins under there or free some of the cinder pits demons) and are greeted peacefully. They poison the lunars with rotten fish (given as a gift) and free the mining slaves in the confusion. The slaves at this installation aren't locals - they're captives from the White Moon rebellion.

Now, they're heading back to their village, which is on the river a few miles west of the Old Elf Ruins.

What does the blowback look like? Only a few of the Lunar guards died in the fight but they know the clan the players are from. I'm assuming that the brunt of the Lunar army is still working on the Temple of the Reaching moon, but I figure in the near to medium term we're looking at an occupation of the town, searches, a stepped-up local presence. I don't want to really crush them but I don't want to pull my punches on the reaction from the Empire.

So one of the big reasons that Argrath is able to succeed in his rebellion in 1625/26 is that the Pentans are invading Dara Happa around this time and the Lunars are recalling most of their forces in the provinces to deal with that. I'm not sure if this is going on in 1624 but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. That would leave the Lunar occupation army of Sartar, which if we go with your idea of having most of them building the Temple after having suffered a massive loss at Pennel Ford, governor Tatius would probably try to lean on local allied clans to crush the rebellion for him. Secondly, we know that in 1626 a group of Blue Moon Assassins are in country and kill Queen Kallyr, so you could add those to the list of foes. Lastly, the other big Lunar force in the area is going to be the full army of Tarsh, which currently is still united as Pharandros and Fazzur are not openly feuding yet. If things get bad enough in Sartar the Governor-General of Dragon Pass (Fazzur) is likely gonna show up.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is that the same Kallyr your clan can adopt in KODP?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is that the same Kallyr your clan can adopt in KODP?

No, just a woman with the same name and a similar life story (wants to be Prince, dies young instead).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Another reason Argrath gets away with messing up Dragon Pass is that Fazzur Wideread has been expelled by Tatius' political maneuvering. Fazzur would never have gotten so caught up with the temple, and was on his way to conquering Esrolia before the whole thing got messed up. The campaign falls apart in an ineffectual siege against Nochet after he's "retired" (and people start trying to assassinate him.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mimir posted:

Ask rather who you want as potential antagonist for the PCs.

Option 1: Some minor to intermediate Lunar official with responsibility over those mines gets tasked with the follow up. Either he subcontracts the task, or he's stuck stumping off to deal with the problem himself. Aside from whatever forces were detailed to him, he has little or no pull with the military and even troops assigned to him might consider him an idiot. If he gets into trouble, sensible Lunar leaders blame him for making a bad situation worse and only intervene if things collapse.

Option 2: Assuming Temertain is still alive, the Lunars inform him and tell him to keep his drat clans in line. He might send an agent, or send for the clan leaders, or employ reprisals of various sorts.

Option 3: The situation gets escalated to the occupying forces, and the Lunars send a small detachment. Probably too small to get the job done if the Lismelder clan rises up, either as a deliberate provocation or as simple incompetence, depending upon who you think is behind the decision. You'd want an arrogant troop commander who enjoys throwing his authority around, but competent troops to support her. Did the PCs nab anyone important from the rebellion? If so, perhaps there's a covert operation to assassinate that person and blame the Orlanthi, or perhaps somebody in the army detachment is secretly a White Moon follower. In any event, this scenario balances the tensions raised by having a provoking force in place with the force's weakness, tempting hotheads in the clan to rise up, at which point the Lunars can identify this as a serious problem and not as a one-off raid, and respond with more meaningful force.

Each option emphasizes a different aspect of the region and the potential goings-on, and directs the PC attention to different places.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any advice for not killing the gently caress out of players in Runequest Glorantha? Love the setting, but TPK'd the second combat of the adventure "The Rattling Wind". The setting is my favorite, but character creation takes too long for how lethal it's playing for me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any advice for not killing the gently caress out of players in Runequest Glorantha? Love the setting, but TPK'd the second combat of the adventure "The Rattling Wind". The setting is my favorite, but character creation takes too long for how lethal it's playing for me.

•Prewritten adventures often give foes massive strength bonuses for the sake of "realism" and you're gonna want to tone down anything that's hitting for +3d6 or more.
•Make sure your players have Shield, Protection, and Vigor and ample time to cast them before any big fight.
•Make sure the less skilled combatants are not being engaged with the most powerful foes, give them an alternate way to contribute like a hostile spirit or something.
•If things are still too lethal, don't let enemies crit or deal special damage.
•Lastly, you could fight more sentients and take advantage of the Ransom system both ways.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
So, I have yet to actually play any version of Runequest, but I've been interested in the game since at least the early 2000s, when I picked up RQIII (I think? The Avalon Hill version,) and I have since purchased the RQII re-print that was KS'd a few years ago, Cults of Terror, and more recently, the first three Runequest:RiG books (core, bestiary, and GM kit). I have been able to nab a few of the AH Hill boxed sets, namely Gods of Glorantha and Griffin Mountain (I know this doesn't have any Glorantha info,), and picked up the Gloranthan classics Borderlands and Beyond, as well as the corebook for Heroquest since they've been on sale on Chaosium's webpage. I've even played some of King of Dragon Pass, and read most of the Prince of Sartar webcomic.

I have all this material, and I while I'm beginning to get kind of familiar the setting, but I'm still kind of at sea, what with, say, Godlearners, and areas outside of Dragon Pass and getting a handle on different cultures, like why Orlanthi and why they don't like Yelm worshipers, or the deal with Lunars, and Argath and so on.

Nanomashoes post above me, that's a command of the material that I wish I had because the whole setting really piques my interest, but I feel that what I've read is pretty shallow, or at least has not given me more than a very shallow, and piece mail understanding of the setting. (I'll admit to have not reading everything I have listed, but I've skipped around at least a bit, trying to see where to dig in). I feel most of my interest has been generated by off-hand postings in this thread or elsewhere, and I feel I'm missing some reading that explains or goes into detail

I'd like to read more but putting down money on hoping something like, say, the Glorantha Sourcebook, or 13th Age Glorantha, for example, without knowing if they'd do the trick for me. (I know I'd like the Guide to Glorantha, but I want to get more familiar before I do a deep dive,)

So, what are people's recommendations? Is there any one place, a book, or website that can help with gaining this overview knowledge? Or should I start with something a little more detail, like about the Hero Wars/Argath's rebellion (the Hero Wars haven't really been written about, as I recall, but Argath's rebellion leads into it, for some reason, right?) or a culture, like the Orlanthi/Heortlings or Ducks, (which from what I've seen are cool as hell, but I need to know more!) which seems like I should read about in fiction like King of Sartar or some of Stafford's monographs? Or should I read a few different things at once, kind of bouncing around to get a deeper, more connected understanding of the world?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Dr. Sneer Gory fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 6, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The best place for a basic overview of the world right now (at least, the parts that center on Dragon Pass) is the Glorantha Sourcebook. (2018, $40 HC/$20 PDF). It will answer almost all of your questions, and the ones it doesn't answer you can come here and ask us.

From there you can go on and get the two-volume 800-page Guide To Glorantha ($170 HC/$50 PDF, and worth every penny), which is the comprehensive reference to the whole world.

I'd also recommend the free Gloranthan Voices collection of discussions of 20 or so Gloranthan cultures from the POVs of those cultures themselves. A wonderful "ground level" perspective of Glorantha and an excellent counterpart to the "top down" view of the previous two products. It's somewhat out of date (but being revised as week speak) and available here: http://etyries.albionsoft.com/etyries.com/voices/index.html

And welcome! You're about to take the first steps into one of fantasy's most fascinating and rewarding imaginary worlds.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Seconding The Guide to Glorantha. Volume 1 in particular is basically more than enough stuff for you to get your bearings w/r/t the general history of the world, who the major cultural groups are, and what the sources of friction are between them. It is more focused on the narrative present than the history but it will get you there. Between that and asking questions here (because there is nothing Glorantha nerds love more than explaining lore) you should be good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Guide is too expensive to pick up if you don't want a big honking reference book. If that's what you want then go for it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the guide does a worse job of telling you why the setting is cool than the archive kodp LPs

The guide has a lot of details but it's presented in a way that doesn't make it obvious where the cool stuff is imo (not just geographically, but in meta details as well)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Guide, I think, is for when you want a big fat encyclopedic deep dive into the setting. Sourcebook is a much better introduction, as are those KODP Let's Plays.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I read the sourcebook then the guide, and I didn't get the significance of a lot of the stuff in there. Wait a bit before you try to read it, but the sourcebook is a great place to start.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm going to order the Sourcebook today, at it's both easier on my wallet and sounds like the better place to start. I was thinking of picking up the PDF of King of Sartar, because getting a current copy is infeasible for me to get new because I don't live in New Zealand or want to drop $80+ on it. Would that be recommended to read too?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If you want just some undiluted setting lore I would recommend the Book of Heortling Mythology, which is strait up a rough collection of Orlanthi myths.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I first came across Runequest in 2nd edition when you could buy the box that came with the green d20s that you had to crayon in, with Cormod the Pict or whatever as the example character. I was too young at the time to really 'get' it but the idea you could get worse as a character by chance and leveling up only skills you used in very small increments was definitely something that I still remember.

If I wanted a comprehensive entry into this latest edition as a GM, is there anything in the product line that would be skippable, price notwithstanding? I prefer my books in print but I could probably get all the published books but Red Book of Magic looks PDF only for now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

aldantefax posted:

I first came across Runequest in 2nd edition when you could buy the box that came with the green d20s that you had to crayon in, with Cormod the Pict or whatever as the example character. I was too young at the time to really 'get' it but the idea you could get worse as a character by chance and leveling up only skills you used in very small increments was definitely something that I still remember.

If I wanted a comprehensive entry into this latest edition as a GM, is there anything in the product line that would be skippable, price notwithstanding? I prefer my books in print but I could probably get all the published books but Red Book of Magic looks PDF only for now.

Get the Core book and the Bestiary, you can skip the rest. Red Book of Magic is cool but also kind of useless without the cult compendium coming later.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Nanomashoes posted:

Get the Core book and the Bestiary, you can skip the rest. Red Book of Magic is cool but also kind of useless without the cult compendium coming later.

Does that mean the adventure compendiums and the setting information is bunk, or it's skippable because of some other reason?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

aldantefax posted:

Does that mean the adventure compendiums and the setting information is bunk, or it's skippable because of some other reason?

Nah they're fine, it's just that Core and Bestiary are all you need to GM. Everything else you can just buy if you like the sound of it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Nanomashoes posted:

Nah they're fine, it's just that Core and Bestiary are all you need to GM. Everything else you can just buy if you like the sound of it.

And so it shall be.

Any suggestions from the entire product line what's the best to get your feet wet with a new group?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The free quickstart adventure is actually a really solid start. Other ones I like are:
Urvantan's Tower (in The Smoking Ruin), if you want to go to the Grazelands
The Pairing Sones (in The Pegasus Plateau), if you want to go to Prax
the GM Screen Pack is good if you just want to stay in Sartar

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nice, I got all the PDFs after making the purchases so I'll start diving in. Hooray, Glorantha!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It appears as if Lodril has got back.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

It appears as if Lodril has got back.

"Hot stuff coming through!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Grain goddesses DEFINITELY going away satisfied

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

They really missed an opportunity to place that mace so that the base haft was a bit more around the pelvic region, if you know what I mean.

Also, why a mace? Spears are like lodril 101.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Haystack posted:

They really missed an opportunity to place that mace so that the base haft was a bit more around the pelvic region, if you know what I mean.

Also, why a mace? Spears are like lodril 101.

I'm assuming this is Southern Lodril, not Northern Lodril? Maybe it means his spear is a bit blunter in the south after the whole "Argan Argar" incident?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
The hammer faces give a nice opportunity to work in some Monster Man imagery. Maybe they're making more of a connection between the Lowfires and smithing?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The "hammerhead" there is the Block of Earth, i.e. the cube earth of Glorantha, which is typically depicted as Lodril's head in solar cultures

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got the lore books in from Chaosium directly (FLGS couldn't source from their distributors) and these books are massive, ridiculous, and wonderful things to have even if you don't play Runequest. They're spendy, of course, but they look and feel well worth it. I'm gonna dive into the material later but they also have PDF versions of it if you order, I think, thanks to the magic of internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
(Please let me know if these questions are too long, too specific, or belong in like the GM advice thread or something, I figure y'all enjoy spouting lore at me as much as I enjoy spouting it at my players, and the stuff from last time, when I asked about Lunar retribution, was very useful background)

Coming up in the next session - these opening arcs have been about introducing the areas around my Lismelder clan players - they're going to be helping some Locacem allies launch a raid on the Sun Dome Templars in Vannatar. This might include calling for an alliance with some friends in Beast Valley, sneaking around, or joining the raid itself.

They know that the Sun Templars have a superweapon - a smaller, more mobile prototype for the Harpoon that's in Sun County. They plan on moving it to the river, which will let them search traffic crossing the Stream to Clearwine with their Lunar allies. One of them already wants to steal it, because they're a PC.

What they'll probably learn over the adventure is that the Templars plan on sending a champion on the heroquest "The Path of Lightfore" - (Arcane Lore p109) to bless the ballista. The PCs might disrupt the ritual beforehand, but they might also oppose it in progress, or get wrapped up in it - the PCs might act as sabatours in their ritual role as testers, which is my understanding of how this works.

How does being the enemy on a Heroquest work? The example is usually the Summons of Evil, where someone hears a call to be the bad guy, but how do you choose to get involved as a disruptive force? Do you see yourself as the unnamed, minor gods in the opponent's myth, or do you embody your own gods?

Mimir fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 22, 2021