Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Uh, do you have clear good photos of the new Starfleet or Ni'Var ships?

Asking for a friend

Nah, we didn't work on any of those sequences. I think CBS is planning to release VFX breakdowns for awards season though, so I would expect if they do anything to highlight the Starfleet HQ stuff it'll feature better looks at those ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Robot Style posted:

Nah, we didn't work on any of those sequences. I think CBS is planning to release VFX breakdowns for awards season though, so I would expect if they do anything to highlight the Starfleet HQ stuff it'll feature better looks at those ships.

oh rad

must have been weird doing this during covid times too im sure

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No knock on you, Robot Style. All the VFX is actually really great looking with only a couple standout exceptions (sword lol and warp core down the well lolol)

Some of the design decisions are freaking bizarre though

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it all looks top notch movie quality work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"Hit it" and "engage" are clearly the best commands to initiate warp.

Also season 4 should have Mirror Captain Pike who is actually just like Regular Captain Pike.

The reason is that it's cheaper for production and easier to get actors when people don't need hours of makeup time before each shooting. This is also why the aliens who do roll with the bridge crews tend to be the "add a little something on the ear or nose" variety like Bajorans or Vulcans - typically the main cast only has one sacrificial lamb for the full "alien" look (Worf/Quark/Neelix/Airiam). I think they could pull off an in universe explanation (the marines are mostly Andorian, the big federation research centers are mostly Vulcan, back end stations with a handful of crew tend to be Tellarites, etc) but instead we're just left with the impression that humans run around doing all this poo poo while 99% of everyone else hangs out on their home planets and jacks off in their holosuites all day.

TOS tried to explain it by having segregated ships (all Vulcan etc) but as we got further away from the Jim Crow era this fell out of favor with writers for obvious reasons.

DS9 had an all Vulcan ship. :colbert:

Semi-segregated ships make sense if it is based around environmental controls. Vulcans like it hot and dry. Andorians like it cool. Several species need axillary breathing apparatus to function in "normal" atmosphere. Cetaceans might be able to make do with some sort of anti-grav environmental suit for a while, but really they need deep water to be comfortable. A ship designed to make Horta as comfortable as possible probably wouldn't be comfortable for anyone else. We saw that one lady from the real low gravity planet, but there are probably a bunch of planets that have like .8 or 1.2 times the gravity of earth, and folks from there could function but would always be a little uncomfortable in "standard" gravity.

A human can serve on an Andorian ship, but he's gonna need thermal underwear under his uniform. So humans mostly prefer to serve on ships where the environmental controls are set to the range humans find comfortable. And TV shows mostly tell the stories of those ships because it's easy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clearly the turbolift shafts are actually covered in mirrors embedded in a holodeck, so as to appear larger. This is in order to magnify things to easily spot where things have gone wrong.

Also the finale seemed super rushed. Osyraa being just killed without getting to really do stuff was disappointing, since she represents the most worldbuilding of the season, except for the burn.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I must amend and say the warp core ejection sequence looked fine, it was just a poorly designed shot

The wall of grey goo also looked good, despite making no sense whatsoever

It it really was just the sword for bad vfx

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is there a screen cap of this turbolift void that everyone's talking about? I'm intensely curious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Is there a screen cap of this turbolift void that everyone's talking about? I'm intensely curious.

It's like an entire cityscape going by. It'll need to be like a five minute gif to really give you the idea

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You get the idea but it's actually even more insane than this shows

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Goon: I think these affects shots were really dumb

Another Goon: I worked on some the effects for the show

Goon: I would like to rephrase, the effects were good, I think the direction was bad and there wasn't much to work with

Another Goon: I was actually the director for a lot of these effects scenes

Goon: I would like to clarify that..

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MANY of effects shots were DUMB AS HELL

Almost all of them were extremely well executed though

This is not a contradiction

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It occurs to me that the inside of the turbolift space is giving me Tron Legacy vibes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

You get the idea but it's actually even more insane than this shows

What the everloving Christ.

Discovery's designs have always irked me from day one, but what the everloving Christ.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
In the future Turbolifts actually shrink the user down to a microscopic level because of reasons.

There fixed it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The shots look super good, it just makes no sense that the city from blade runner exists inside a ship that Tilly and Michael jog laps around.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They really should have used that stuff for Micheal and Book fighting inside Osyrra's capitol ship or whatever.

The warp core detonation was a really good shot, right up there with Last Jedi lightspeed kamikaze.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

apatheticman posted:

In the future Turbolifts actually shrink the user down to a microscopic level because of reasons.

There fixed it.

It's actually timelord technology. The next stop on the lift is full of Daleks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I guess we found out where the hundred thousand fighter craft are stored

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s not true, but I’m just gonna pretend it’s a trick of perspective and the walls of the turbo-void are a lot closer than they appear.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

What the everloving Christ.

Discovery's designs have always irked me from day one, but what the everloving Christ.
Yes and that shot isn't like some of the others that make the space look even bigger

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Borg cube in Picard was implicitly smaller.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Yeah, even the bad S2 finale space battle was well done from a quality of work standpoint; they executed someone's vision well.

The vision they executed was an just overly busy, wierdly blocked mess; and that's on the showrunner, director and visual design department.

Someone sent them storyboards and then signed off on the mock ups, it's not their job to fight for less poo poo in thre frame.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and that shot isn't like some of the others that make the space look even bigger

It felt bigger than the cargo container space in Tycho on expanse

It was bonkers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Infidelicious posted:

Yeah, even the bad S2 finale space battle was well done from a quality of work standpoint; they executed someone's vision well.

The vision they executed was an just overly busy, wierdly blocked mess; and that's on the showrunner, director and visual design department.

Someone sent them storyboards and then signed off on the mock ups, it's not their job to fight for less poo poo in thre frame.
There was just too much goddamn poo poo on the screen during those battles

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

As bad as this show is in general the VFX are among the best in television, much like its characters Discovery is vapid but extremely pretty

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the effects are almost always great but I wish they were supporting something better

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Bloop posted:

It it really was just the sword for bad vfx

If I had to guess what happened there (since it wasn't our sequence), the sword probably looks janky because Sonequa Martin-Green was pregnant during filming of the season (a number of shots had her baby bump digitally removed or were filmed with her stunt double instead). Normally, Michelle Yeoh might have been able to stab deep enough that she could press the half-length prop blade she had against Sonequa's stomach to stabilize the contact point. Since that's not really an option when the person you're stabbing in the gut is pregnant, they just had to track the blade and hope for the best. Who knows, they may have even done some warping and stabilization to try to fix it, with what ended up in the episode being as good as they could get it without totally replacing Michelle Yeoh's entire arm with CG that lines up better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

drat that totally makes sense. wild that they can hide the bump in so many shots. Must be hard to wrangle all those factors.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

So... normally I would give the benefit of the doubt that it's not supposed to be a stand-in for mental illness because as we've beaten to death, that would be terrible. But Detmer's PTSD storyline was about a form of mental illness and what Discovery explicitly said about handling PSTD was also horrifically wrong and bad. There was clearly someone in the production team who though that this season should have a recurring theme of dealing with trauma and loss. (see also Michael's storyline where she repeatedly loses people, Staments 'losing' his family, etc. The universe is broken and is grieving for the loss of civilisation. It recurs over and over).

And even if that wasn't the intent, 'death of the author' etc etc. I don't see how the natural and obvious way to interpret that story can be anything other than about mental illness. What else are we supposed to think it's about?

I mean, I don't see why "dealing with trauma and loss" as a theme would imply that Gray's presence implies mental illness. We're repeatedly shown familiar concepts turned on their heads (Vulcans and Romulans but they're unified! Empaths, but they talk to animals instead of reading human emotion! The Federation, but they don't immediately drop everything to help whoever they can right away! Earth, but xenophobic!) so it's another example of that, IMO. It's also a plot point for them to revisit if they really want to (the Trill seem convinced this is their future, but clearly if this is the result something in the process is a little strange).

If it was a mental illness analogy, the extremely obvious resolution would be a cheesy scene where Adira realizes they found a family and Gray slowly fades away or something like that. The writers are dumb and bad, but I legitimately believe they are at least smart enough not to associate that sort of thing with "actually you're right! Gray does exist!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"Hit it" and "engage" are clearly the best commands to initiate warp.

Also season 4 should have Mirror Captain Pike who is actually just like Regular Captain Pike.

The reason is that it's cheaper for production and easier to get actors when people don't need hours of makeup time before each shooting. This is also why the aliens who do roll with the bridge crews tend to be the "add a little something on the ear or nose" variety like Bajorans or Vulcans - typically the main cast only has one sacrificial lamb for the full "alien" look (Worf/Quark/Neelix/Airiam). I think they could pull off an in universe explanation (the marines are mostly Andorian, the big federation research centers are mostly Vulcan, back end stations with a handful of crew tend to be Tellarites, etc) but instead we're just left with the impression that humans run around doing all this poo poo while 99% of everyone else hangs out on their home planets and jacks off in their holosuites all day.

TOS tried to explain it by having segregated ships (all Vulcan etc) but as we got further away from the Jim Crow era this fell out of favor with writers for obvious reasons.

That's one of the (many) good things about Lower Decks (and TAS before it) - it can do alien designs that would be impractical for live action.

Edit: also speaking of segregated starships, apparently there was a reference to a USS Merrimack in TOS or one of the movies. I mean, while the actual US Navy reused the name since the Civil War, it's only on support ships. What were they thinking?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 9, 2021

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: also speaking of segregated starships, apparently there was a reference to a USS Merrimack in TOS or one of the movies. I mean, while the actual US Navy reused the name since the Civil War, it's only on support ships. What were they thinking?

I think the Yamato, Akagi and Bismark were used too.

They just picked famous earth ships once they ran out of famous US Navy names as far as I can tell.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
USS Boaty McBoatface - E

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Infidelicious posted:

I think the Yamato, Akagi and Bismark were used too.

They just picked famous earth ships as far as I can tell.

It'd be interesting if there was ever an in-universe backlash to the overly humanocentric naming conventions of Starfleet ships. Like some Andorian bureaucrat angry there's been like seven Enterprises and not one USS Kumari, and why are all of the Luna-classes named after moons in the Sol system anyway? Andoria's a moon, name a ship after us!

And speaking of ship names, aside from Enterprise, Defiant and the ships we saw in Disco S3, has there ever been a legacy ship onscreen before? There's been ships that had the same names as prior ships, but they usually had different registries.

I kind of wish we had some legacy ship we'd never heard of rather than Voyager, to show that hey, ships other than the ones who get their own series can become awesome in their own right.

Alternatively, legacy ship Cerritos.

HD DAD posted:

USS Boaty McBoatface - E
:hmmyes:

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of wish we had some legacy ship we'd never heard of rather than Voyager, to show that hey, ships other than the ones who get their own series can become awesome in their own right.

Alternatively, legacy ship Cerritos.

:hmmyes:

Crazy horse or GTFO

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Those new uniforms all need some serious tailoring. They mostly look like the Disco crew are wearing grey sacks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That..

That was the worst hour of television I’ve subjected myself to in.. well.

I can’t think of a way to finish that sentence.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

The_Doctor posted:

Those new uniforms all need some serious tailoring. They mostly look like the Disco crew are wearing grey sacks.

In the "Captain on the bridge" scene at the end of the episode, the cut of his uniform made my man Mr Rhys look like he has a flabby belly :( We all know you could grate cheese on those abs, actor has a loving black belt in Krav Maga

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I just assumed all the Starfleet ships built at Utopia get named for earth stuff because Earth is primarily involved in building and designing them.

Vulcans and Andorians probably have their own shipyards and presumably get licenses and blueprints or design their own ships and can name any ships they build whatever they want.

Also Vulcan and Andoria don't really have oceans so they don't have a naval tradition or large bench of ship names, lol.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gelf posted:

In the "Captain on the bridge" scene at the end of the episode, the cut of his uniform made my man Mr Rhys look like he has a flabby belly :( We all know you could grate cheese on those abs, actor has a loving black belt in Krav Maga

And they gave no consideration to Wilson Cruz’s magnificent pecs like the old uniform did.