Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmm, interesting.. going over some Apple Support notes and discovered the following about M1 Macs:

• There is no resetting the SMC or the PRAM / NVRAM on the M1. Apple simply says there is 'no need' on Apple Silicon machines.

• Target Disk Mode on M1s is now 'Disk Sharing' where the target disk is shared via SMB in the Finder.

• On the M1, startup key combos have been changed- the only way to get to any options is to hold down the power key for 10 seconds while booting.

After 10 seconds, you will get an Options gear on the screen along with system disk icons.

macOS Recovery - click on the gear icon which will take you to the screen with Reinstall macOS, Disk Utility, Disk Sharing

Regular boot - select the disk you want to boot

Safe boot - hold down shift and click the disk you want to boot in Safe Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know it’s not the most intensive game out there but I was playing rimworld on my M1 MBP last night and the drat thing didn’t even get warm and the battery really feels like it could last forever.

It’s so nice not having to think about plugging something in like how I do with my iPad. It’s just always ready to go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

I know it’s not the most intensive game out there but I was playing rimworld on my M1 MBP last night and the drat thing didn’t even get warm and the battery really feels like it could last forever.

It’s so nice not having to think about plugging something in like how I do with my iPad. It’s just always ready to go.

is that like a game about eating lots of butts?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

That’s the exact joke my S/O made when she saw the name.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Ok Comboomer posted:

It kinda is, yeah

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They made a game about my life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do I need to enable trim or anything like that if I’m running Big Sur off an external SSD?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do I need to enable trim or anything like that if I’m running Big Sur off an external SSD?
I would assume the process is annoying or sketchy enough in some ways that I wouldn't bother, and I want to say modern SSDs are probably fine without it. Not optimal necessarily but not like the old days where they'd eventually turn to complete poo poo without it. At least that was the case a few years ago, I'm assuming/hoping garbage collection and such haven't regressed since then.

Skimming some of your posts, sounds like you're the guy that got the USB SSD for the iMac. I'm not sure TRIM commands can work over USB (maybe some newer modes), and even if they could, I'd be surprised if macOS had support for that anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

I would assume the process is annoying or sketchy enough in some ways that I wouldn't bother, and I want to say modern SSDs are probably fine without it. Not optimal necessarily but not like the old days where they'd eventually turn to complete poo poo without it. At least that was the case a few years ago, I'm assuming/hoping garbage collection and such haven't regressed since then.

Skimming some of your posts, sounds like you're the guy that got the USB SSD for the iMac. I'm not sure TRIM commands can work over USB (maybe some newer modes), and even if they could, I'd be surprised if macOS had support for that anyway.

Great, thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So screen time is hilariously broken with this M1 lol

Does anyone know what that ⚠️ means next to the app there? I assume it means not M1 native?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I don't think that's an M1 specific thing. The last time I used screen time on a mac it just seemed to count whether an app was open as use. I get why that is but yes it leads to stuff like that - congratulations your web browser is always open

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrBond posted:

I don't think that's an M1 specific thing. The last time I used screen time on a mac it just seemed to count whether an app was open as use. I get why that is but yes it leads to stuff like that - congratulations your web browser is always open

You’d think that it would work like the phone lol.

Guess not though!

Also I’m not even logged into Twitter on that Mac which is :shrug:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

MarcusSA posted:

You’d think that it would work like the phone lol.

Guess not though!

Also I’m not even logged into Twitter on that Mac which is :shrug:

Are you showing all devices at the bottom, or are you filtering for the M1?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a m1 mac mini and a lg monitor that's nano ihd or something. The mac looks good but all the text looks fuzzy and off. Is this a common mac thing when not connected to a retina display?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure this is an M1 issue but is anyone else having an issue with steam and having to log in every day? I used the machine last night and when I opened the lid today steam was prompting me to log in. I have two factor auth on so is not an account issue but seems to be specific to this machine for whatever reason.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought a m1 mac mini and a lg monitor that's nano ihd or something. The mac looks good but all the text looks fuzzy and off. Is this a common mac thing when not connected to a retina display?

Look at my post on the last page and the reply to it by Wild EEPROM

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

Look at my post on the last page and the reply to it by Wild EEPROM

Awesome thank you. Guess I'll be buying a usb c to displayport

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty sure this is an M1 issue but is anyone else having an issue with steam and having to log in every day? I used the machine last night and when I opened the lid today steam was prompting me to log in. I have two factor auth on so is not an account issue but seems to be specific to this machine for whatever reason.

I’ve had this on my intel macs for years. I think the steam Mac client is just poo poo

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve had this on my intel macs for years. I think the steam Mac client is just poo poo

Yeah I used to get this all the time on my Intel Mac. Usually if I just quit out from the login screen, it would remember my login credentials on relaunch. Hasn't done it on my M1 yet, though.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I was in here asking about Apple Silicon over Intel a couple months back. Ended up further putting off buying a new laptop and the old 2013 MBP keeps humming along. I'm leaving my job and starting a new one so I'll be losing my Apple discount through work. Going to have to pull the trigger this weekend and get a new one ordered. Looks like I can get the Apple Silicon MBP with 16 gig ram and 512 SSD with Apple care and a USB-C to lightning cable for ~$2k after tax and the discount.

Looks like Microsoft has VSCode in preview for Apple Silicon, and Docker is getting worked. Two items I'll need going forward. Then I"ll also need Python which has already been taken care of, but some of the third party modules aren't working yet by what I've read.

Or I can grab the baseline MBP Intel with apple care for ~$2.1k with everything working right away.

I've read most of the reviews here and generally people seem pretty happy with the new M1s. I might take the chance and go for it unless someone can tell me a great reason not to.

Finally, I'm looking at grabbing this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GVTD9N/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 Hopefully it works with the Apple M1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The M1 is great and a huge leap from the 2013.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is doing some big discounts on their "open box - satisfactory" Macbok Pro M1 models in some stores. Down to $950 depending on location.
You'll need to check on the site and click on "Buying Options" and it should show anything in your area
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macboo...odel~Apple%20M1

I think the Airs are discounted too.

Great tip, thanks! I pulled the trigger on one of these.

My mid 2012 MBP has had a good ride. It's time to finally go buddy. I think I've taken apart and rebuilt my 2012 machine half a dozen times. It's a total Frankenstein now.

I'm glad I waited, as I'd been so disappointed by every MBP iteration since 2012 that I was casting about for windows laptops all this last year.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Earth posted:

I was in here asking about Apple Silicon over Intel a couple months back. Ended up further putting off buying a new laptop and the old 2013 MBP keeps humming along. I'm leaving my job and starting a new one so I'll be losing my Apple discount through work. Going to have to pull the trigger this weekend and get a new one ordered. Looks like I can get the Apple Silicon MBP with 16 gig ram and 512 SSD with Apple care and a USB-C to lightning cable for ~$2k after tax and the discount.

Looks like Microsoft has VSCode in preview for Apple Silicon, and Docker is getting worked. Two items I'll need going forward. Then I"ll also need Python which has already been taken care of, but some of the third party modules aren't working yet by what I've read.

Or I can grab the baseline MBP Intel with apple care for ~$2.1k with everything working right away.

I've read most of the reviews here and generally people seem pretty happy with the new M1s. I might take the chance and go for it unless someone can tell me a great reason not to.

Finally, I'm looking at grabbing this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GVTD9N/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 Hopefully it works with the Apple M1.

Honestly you could get an M1 MacBook Air and save a couple hundred bucks, or a Mac Mini and save even more. You miss out on additional battery life and touchbar. Then next year you can trade it + your current MBP in for a 14”.

I’d recommend going with the cheapest M1 machine you can spec, since it’ll perform almost exactly on par with the most expensive, it’ll beat the Intel Mac you’re replacing like Cell eating the Androids or Trunks slicing Frieza to pieces, and it’ll be the worst Apple Silicon Mac ever made. Instead of buying a $2k Mac now, I’d buy a $1k or $800 Mac with the intent of flipping it in a year or two once new bodies come out.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How much of a hit should I expect to take if I pick up an air now and trade it in for the newest thing in a year or two?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Historically I'm not sure, but I bought a 13" Pro at the beginning of the year and the trade-in value was $900 when I ordered my kit. That's not too shabby, with M1s flying off the shelves.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Virtue posted:

How much of a hit should I expect to take if I pick up an air now and trade it in for the newest thing in a year or two?
My MBA (i5/16GB/256GB) from early last year shows a trade in value of $620 (paid ~$1300*+100 tax), although I'm thinking you get a better ratio if you just get the lower end spec, like the value of upgraded specs only get passed on so much.

For private party sale I feel like the low end of the new models is kind of a soft price cap. Looks like mine can get around $800-1000 on eBay. There's also other seller/trade in sites that tend to have better prices than Apple but don't remember them and have no experience myself.

*I didn't know about the wink wink edu store and could've saved a bit :doh:

Edit: holy crap my iPad mini 4 gets $140 on trade in. Those things came out late 2015.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 9, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

japtor posted:

My MBA (i5/16GB/256GB) from early last year shows a trade in value of $620 (paid ~$1300*+100 tax), although I'm thinking you get a better ratio if you just get the lower end spec, like the value of upgraded specs only get passed on so much.
If you get the base model SKU and custom order upgraded RAM (and probably HD size but I cannot personally say for sure) it does not register as a difference over the stock base model in the trade-in valuation system. But if you got the next SKU up (e.g. base 7-core GPU M1 MBA vs base 8-core GPU M1 MBA) it can and often does.

At least from what I've seen doing two trades via the online store in Canada. I've been told by an Apple Store employee that they use the same trade-in evaluation system if you bring it in, the main advantage being it's way way faster in-person.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly you could get an M1 MacBook Air and save a couple hundred bucks, or a Mac Mini and save even more. You miss out on additional battery life and touchbar. Then next year you can trade it + your current MBP in for a 14”.

I’d recommend going with the cheapest M1 machine you can spec, since it’ll perform almost exactly on par with the most expensive, it’ll beat the Intel Mac you’re replacing like Cell eating the Androids or Trunks slicing Frieza to pieces, and it’ll be the worst Apple Silicon Mac ever made. Instead of buying a $2k Mac now, I’d buy a $1k or $800 Mac with the intent of flipping it in a year or two once new bodies come out.

That's a good suggestion. I used to upgrade every four years, but got busy and didn't upgrade four years ago. Then Apple has the butterfly key problem and I just didn't upgrade and was considering leaving Apple till they fixed it. Wow, I've had this computer for almost eight years now. That's nuts as it's still a good computer and it sells for $400 on eBay. Worth every penny I've paid.

As for your suggestion, the price difference with my discount is ~$250 between an M1 air and a MBP for the 16 gig, 512 hard drive config. That's not really that much of a difference to me. I guess the only reason I would want to consider the air and flip in a year is if we're going to see upgrades to the processors. We're M1 now, when does M2 hit, ya know?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Virtue posted:

$200

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Earth posted:

That's a good suggestion. I used to upgrade every four years, but got busy and didn't upgrade four years ago. Then Apple has the butterfly key problem and I just didn't upgrade and was considering leaving Apple till they fixed it. Wow, I've had this computer for almost eight years now. That's nuts as it's still a good computer and it sells for $400 on eBay. Worth every penny I've paid.

As for your suggestion, the price difference with my discount is ~$250 between an M1 air and a MBP for the 16 gig, 512 hard drive config. That's not really that much of a difference to me. I guess the only reason I would want to consider the air and flip in a year is if we're going to see upgrades to the processors. We're M1 now, when does M2 hit, ya know?

I’d definitely go for the MBP.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the best thing about this m1 Mac mini is how quiet it is. Not even my mid 2020 intel is this quiet and that’s impressive

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'm looking for something like this USB-C Hub for my M1 mini. All I'm finding are no-name (at least to me) brands. At a minimum I want a place to stick a SATA drive, and some additional USB-A and -C ports. I don't need video connections. Any recommendations?

https://wgbus.com/products/mac-m1-usb-c-docking-station-with-hdd-enclosure

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So is the general thought that you get the base model M1 and then trade it in for the 16" when that comes out if that's ultimately your preferred form factor?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shadowhand00 posted:

So is the general thought that you get the base model M1 and then trade it in for the 16" when that comes out if that's ultimately your preferred form factor?

I think the general thought would be to just wait for the 16” unless you have money to burn.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I don't trust that quote of losing 200. I don't know if it's comparable but my mid 2020 mbp lost $900 in trade in value

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 2019 16” lost $400 in value, which proportionally is pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi is there a way to increase the size of the right click area? Like I'd like it to be about half the track pad vs the like 1/3 it is now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Hi is there a way to increase the size of the right click area? Like I'd like it to be about half the track pad vs the like 1/3 it is now.

There’s a right click area? I just use two fingers..?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

There’s a right click area? I just use two fingers..?

Na I like to press to click.

I feel like I mess up more when I try the two fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I don't trust that quote of losing 200. I don't know if it's comparable but my mid 2020 mbp lost $900 in trade in value

Yeah, if you buy the Apple Care then you're losing at least that. Unless you can transfer some fo the value.

Why don't you people sell on ebay? I haven't imagine it's better than the trade in you can get from Apple.