Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

what is avatar 2 3 and 4 going to be about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it would not at all surprise me to learn that james cameron has just spent the last ten years working on the water effects and only bothered to tell some intern to write the actual screenplays like a week ago

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Egg Moron posted:

who cares, the point isn’t the story

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Some Guy TT posted:

it would not at all surprise me to learn that james cameron has just spent the last ten years working on the water effects and only bothered to tell some intern to write the actual screenplays like a week ago

yeah, everything I saw online on the internet was on and on about how it was going to feature a great many scenes under the sea but I can't square how it is going to move on from the first film, which I rewatched recently for the first time since I saw it in like 2010

i was surprised how nice it looked for the age of the film and it clipped along decently for how long it is

it is dumb as hell but I appreciate the chapo perspective about it being a film about america being the 9/11 doer

it also fits in with the various films which seem to operate as mild mea culpae on part of the US for the genocide of the native americans

dances with wolves, last of the Mohicans, the last samurai, all films in which there is a main character that drifts between worlds, end up fighting against the White Power

it's not like it is high caliber film but it is a movie for sure, which is nice to see because so few movies and even movies anymore

but the story is pretty self contained

the obvious ploy for a sequel would be to rehash the first film with a larger invasion force sent by the corporation led by the mckinsy sociopath

then you could have some poignant scenes where they have the argument where they are like "we should have killed all the pinky demons" and then the guy says "nah man, then we'd be just like them" "it won't matter if we die" "we WONT let that happen"

then they plug their tails into each other and have a brain to brain arena that is portrayed like tron light cycling only in three dimensions because they are flying their terrorsaurs

but then where do you go for the 3rd and 4th movie?

and what is with all the underwater poo poo? what the gently caress could even be underwater?

and they are filming them all now apparently?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Avatar 2 is apparently done filming and mostly done post

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

This is hilarious because after Chernobyl released on HBO I started listening to this guy's podcast to find out about the show, and Mazin flat out said he didn't know poo poo about Soviet history (might have been not long after he sent out this tweet)

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Craig Mazin is a massive tool. He and a group of showrunners tried to undermine a WGA strike from within about a year back.

Big shocker he's not a big fan of Communism!

I remember he and John August doing spin about this on the same podcast

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching the HBO doc "Heaven's Gate: Cult of Cults" and now I'm curious, what's the best documentary about Jonestown?

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple is pretty good

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As discussed on Chapo, Obama praising The Boys should re-emphasize that it's stupid to go "actually, this piece of pop culture is good praxis"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

shrike82 posted:

As discussed on Chapo, Obama praising The Boys should re-emphasize that it's stupid to go "actually, this piece of pop culture is good praxis"

I mean The Boys is pretty great, Obama just doesn’t realize he’s Gus Fring

e: er, Stan Edgar

indigi has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 10, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres no way obama thinks hes butcher lol he just doesnt care. he likes a good bit of streaming content and hell who am i to judge

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

theres no way obama thinks hes butcher lol he just doesnt care. he likes a good bit of streaming content and hell who am i to judge

Obama thinks he’s Starfire

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Finished watching The Boys S2 a while ago and currently some seasons deep into Preacher and while both are softened and considerably more nuanced than their source comics: there's an awful lot of ultimate undefeatable badasses, where it alternates between them gleefully wailing on lesser foes and then coming up with flimsy reasons why badass won't or can't use their powers for a given scene, so some doubt about the outcome can be pretended.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Egg Moron posted:

3 hours each

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I know exactly the type of contempt you're talking about, but the scene is a bog standard "Politician won't listen to the scientist warning about the asteroid/Godzilla/earths core/aliens" scene.

It is that, but these both being fictional characters, Im maybe I'm wrong and they did their research for who this person in this scene actually was, and maybe they were actually a worker that worked theyre way up to local party boss, but the majority of Soviet leadership were engineers of one sort or another so I can't help but see the scene as the Lib writers of the show letting their contempt for the working class seep through. Maybe I'm off base with that, and I'm seeing something that isn't there

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
there is the scene later with the badass naked coal miners who tell off the military officer guy. of course, they're not attempting to rise above their station

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

This is hilarious because after Chernobyl released on HBO I started listening to this guy's podcast to find out about the show, and Mazin flat out said he didn't know poo poo about Soviet history (might have been not long after he sent out this tweet)

Well that explains why Stellan Skarsgard threatens to throw Jared Harris out of the helicopter, he literally thought it worked like it did under Stalin

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Egg Moron posted:

2 is about water

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

It is that, but these both being fictional characters, Im maybe I'm wrong and they did their research for who this person in this scene actually was, and maybe they were actually a worker that worked theyre way up to local party boss, but the majority of Soviet leadership were engineers of one sort or another so I can't help but see the scene as the Lib writers of the show letting their contempt for the working class seep through. Maybe I'm off base with that, and I'm seeing something that isn't there

if you play close attention to the scene, the only thing her little bit of elitism gets her is getting completely shut down by the guy shes trying to convince. i interpreted that scene as a self own on her part

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Both the Shoe dude and the Coal Miners are part of one of the shows themes about the USSR being run by political hacks and good ol'' boy networks (The fact that this actually describes the U.S. is the actual Liberal propaganda in the show, alongside things like the Holodomor granny). The Coal Miners are heroically contrasted against the Coal Minister who is portrayed as being a political stooge who knows nothing about coal. The scene with the shoe guy scene isn't about him being an uppity peasant, he ran a shoe factory not actually make shoes. It's about him being a political appointee who won't listen to Scientist warning him about the Volcano/Typhoon/Ice Age/Dinosaur Outbreak. Of the "bad" of the show all but the KGB chief follow this theme. Dyatlov, the local party bosses, the Shoe guy. What's actually really weird is that the actual Politburo and Soviet Leadership is generally portrayed good. I can get Gorbachev since he's a Liberal darling for selling out the country, but Boris and the rest are rather strangely portrayed as actually attempting to solve the problem in the best way possible. Even the Big Shot Military General is portrayed heroically.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I think the major thing the Chernobyl series misses regarding accuracy is the role of several leading scientists of the plant design bureau and atomic institute. They held a lot of sway at the trial shifting the blame on to the operators to try and cover their culpability in the reactor design.

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Jan 11, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1348452065895477252

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I remember nothing of this show other than the second movie was offensively bad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

was it Felix that predicted this

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

they're gonna revive the big bang theory by the end of the year

and they're gonna kill off, then revive the spin off in the span of a year

we're going to forever be in a perpetual cycle of reboots like babby's first cyanogen install

that being said, bring back metalocalypse, motherfuckers

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

This, so hard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my favorite thing about Nick Sobotka is he has a Static-X poster in his basement bedroom and it's next to a Guided By Voices poster.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Lib and let die posted:

Easy there, Rockso. Don't you think you've had a little too much cocaine?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fluoride Jones posted:

Easy there, Rockso. Don't you think you've had a little too much cocaine?

C-c-c-c-c-c-gently caress you!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

C-c-c-c-c-c-gently caress you!

You get a banana sticker!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

next week on FOX, the world premier of The Masked Laundromat!

you'll never guess which celebrity is doing their laundry in this costume!

and next month, FOX is happy to announce we'll be bringing The Masked Litterbox Cleaner to prime time! Come see our celebrity guests try and figure out which other celebrity is scooping poop in a costume!

TV!

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my favorite thing about Nick Sobotka is he has a Static-X poster in his basement bedroom and it's next to a Guided By Voices poster.

Did you see that Static-X's guitarist is exactly the kind of person who would get some news coverage right now? Like, 11 year old me is sad, but every other part of me is like lol of course the nu metal guy is a chud

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/01/08/static-x-guitarist-koichi-fukuda-is-a-conspiracy-theorist-right-wing-nut-job/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Qoey posted:

Did you see that Static-X's guitarist is exactly the kind of person who would get some news coverage right now? Like, 11 year old me is sad, but every other part of me is like lol of course the nu metal guy is a chud

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/01/08/static-x-guitarist-koichi-fukuda-is-a-conspiracy-theorist-right-wing-nut-job/

i thought you meant wayne static before i clicked the link and i was confused because that dude’s been dead for like a decade

and then i thought, maybe the hologram they tour with is like, an antisemitic robot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Declan MacManus posted:

i thought you meant wayne static before i clicked the link and i was confused because that dude’s been dead for like a decade

and then i thought, maybe the hologram they tour with is like, an antisemitic robot

That would be very 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm watching through The Venture Brothers for the first time like, chronologically (as opposed to during the original run when I'd catch a random episode here or there when I got out of closing the kitchen down) and the Galactic Grand Inquisitor might be one of my favorite gags ever.

A 10 foot tall guy with headlights on his head who talks through an over driven speaker being a silent judge is such a simple use of irony that it's almost genius.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

IGNORE ME

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

so how long before we get a new Purge movie inspired by Jan. 6.

QAnon shaman could cameo as himself.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
started watching Carnivale and it's pretty drat good so far

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just randomly tuned in to the bear rape scene in revenant on cable and can confirm there isnt actually any bear rape its just a mauling which was also my impression when i first saw the movie

where did that meme even come from the context makes it pretty clear this was a mother bear protecting her cubs thats a really unnecessarily gross thing to spread when this is the movie where leonardo d caprio gets mauled by a bear gets the same point across

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Some Guy TT posted:

just randomly tuned in to the bear rape scene in revenant on cable and can confirm there isnt actually any bear rape its just a mauling which was also my impression when i first saw the movie

where did that meme even come from the context makes it pretty clear this was a mother bear protecting her cubs thats a really unnecessarily gross thing to spread when this is the movie where leonardo d caprio gets mauled by a bear gets the same point across

Same reason you can say Alien is a Male Rape movie.

The basis is on the male fear of loss of dominance.