Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty sure that the LOD fix mod is solely visual so it shouldn't affect your save file if you uninstall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Current question: I can run this in 60fps at 1440p, or 30fps at 4k, which should I stick with? I'm leaning toward the 60fps because it's more consistently noticeable, but drat this game looks good in 4k. Playing PC on my TV.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tender Bender posted:

Current question: I can run this in 60fps at 1440p, or 30fps at 4k, which should I stick with? I'm leaning toward the 60fps because it's more consistently noticeable, but drat this game looks good in 4k. Playing PC on my TV.

If you're using hairworks, just disable that and play at 4K. That should give a boost.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

If you're using hairworks, just disable that and play at 4K. That should give a boost.

I've already got hairworks off, but everything else at Ultra on both settings (except shadows, bumped down to high) :v:

1440p sits comfortably at 60, 4k sits mid-30's, and can get up to low 40s if I turn down some things like shadows, grass density, etc. I figured it's probably better to lock 30 than have something veering from like 32-42?

This is the first time I've had a pc that could do this, I played most of the game this spring at 1080p 30ish fps, high settings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tender Bender posted:

I've already got hairworks off, but everything else at Ultra on both settings (except shadows, bumped down to high) :v:

1440p sits comfortably at 60, 4k sits mid-30's, and can get up to low 40s if I turn down some things like shadows, grass density, etc. I figured it's probably better to lock 30 than have something veering from like 32-42?

This is the first time I've had a pc that could do this, I played most of the game this spring at 1080p 30ish fps, high settings.

A quick note that with hairworks off the hair physics are actually bugged for 60FPS or above and only work properly on 30FPS. Luckily, there's a mod to fix this, and also a mod to fix item physics above 30FPS.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3168

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3268

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

A quick note that with hairworks off the hair physics are actually bugged for 60FPS or above and only work properly on 30FPS. Luckily, there's a mod to fix this, and also a mod to fix item physics above 30FPS.

Lol thanks for this, I always thought the physics were weird. The touching (mid-main plot mild spoiler) reunion with Ciri scene featured the dagger on her belt spinning wildly like a windmill.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 18, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the bug was for when HW is enabled. Huh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

I thought the bug was for when HW is enabled. Huh.

He has another mod that alters physics for 60fps hair works as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Does the hair fix only work if capped at 60? I run uncapped with a gsync monitor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oldstench posted:

Does the hair fix only work if capped at 60? I run uncapped with a gsync monitor.

60fps plus

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Well, I installed it and the physics everywhere mod for NPCs and now it rains on Geralt inside during cutscenes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tender Bender posted:

Witcher 3 seems to require surprisingly beefy hardware to run at 4K60. When I built my i7-9770K/RTX 2060 rig last year, I thought I could easily brute-force 4K60 because this game was four years old by that point, but it turned out I couldn't get any higher than 40-45 fps no matter how many settings I dialed towards potato mode. I could've gone lower but 4K wouldn't have been worth it at that point, so I just ended up playing at 1080p all maxed out or 1440p with hairworks off.

I'd definitely go for a smooth 60 fps over 4K in this case, but a locked 30 fps is better than the judder caused by inconsistent frame pacing at 40 fps. Or at least to me it is because I'm pretty sensitive to any kind of frame drop or frame-pacing judder, your mileage may vary.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Had a moment to myself on the toilet, so wanted to come in here and tell everyone how awesome it is that my girlfriend got me the full paperback 8 book set of Witcher novels. I’ve read these through like 3 or 4 times, but only have the paperbacks of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves from when they first came out in English in 2007-2008. In celebration, I’ve reinstalled The Witcher 1 with a few choice mods and will begin a new trilogy play through! Yay me!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

loving hell, this game doesn't ever end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oldstench posted:

loving hell, this game doesn't ever end.

It’s the best game ever made and to me, no moment is ever dull. It’s the best!

Edit: so I’m in that part of the game where you’re looking for dandelion, and whoreson, and all that other poo poo. I know a lot of folks don’t like this part and think it “drags”, but I positively disagree. I love exploring Novigrad and Oxenfurt and getting to know one character after another and working my way through the city, building relationships. I love meeting folks from the books like Dudu and Djikstra, or seeing how nuts Radovid is after seeing him begin his ascent in Witcher 1 when he was engaged to Adda. This is a great bit of character and world building and I adore it, though I’m sure I’m in the minority.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 28, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm getting back into this after just doing the main story, and I'm checking out mods just to give it a slightly different feel than the first time through (and NG+ feels devoid of challenge, though I haven't made it past Vizima); are there any gameplay mods that fix up the economy to be non-trivial, and the loot system less annoying?

All these containers are filled with random junk (rope ladders, fishing nets, broken rakes, etc.), look identical to the nominally useful containers with good crafting materials. Not that you need all that many of them mind you since only the witcher gear is worth crafting but still.

I took Ghost mode for a spin for the tougher combat but it didn't actually feel like it was any fun, and I am constantly needing to run back to the stash to dump poo poo, which is not actually very engaging gameplay.

Next up is probably FCR3 for something that hews a little closer to vanilla. I do see it has a loot reduction module that looks pretty attractive.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Is this a general Witcher thread, or Wild Hunt only? I only just started Witcher 2 and the UI (especially inventory, oof) is not killing me quite yet, but I might get interested in some mods in the future if I don't get used to it. Do you have any recommendations?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
General witcher thread. There isn't a ui mod to fix it, but I'd really recommend one that gives you infinite encumbrance so you minimise how much you have to struggle with it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/categories/4/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get used to bad inventories. Witcher three and apparently cyberpunk also have godawful ones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

None of the inventories are “god awful.” They’re fine. Witcher 1 Enhances still has my favorite. It’s pretty to look at and very easy to access everything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Get used to bad inventories. Witcher three and apparently cyberpunk also have godawful ones.

Love how in cyberpunk there's an entire screen for food and drink of which you have hundreds of, but they a fall into 4 categories.

1) Food, which replenishes health outside combat
2) Drink, which replenishes stamina outside combat
3) Alcohol, which makes you drunk
4) And cat food, which you can use to adopt a cat

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

pik_d posted:

Love how in cyberpunk there's an entire screen for food and drink of which you have hundreds of, but they a fall into 4 categories.

One of those is vital and absolutely deserves an entire screen dedicated to it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The All Items page in Cyberpunk is great, filled with dummy objects for animation and unremovable quest objects.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

pik_d posted:

Now now now, there's also 3 types of "decoctions" that last quite a while.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I would argue that the Witcher 3's inventory is "fine" only in that you can avoid looking at most of the giant piles of stuff like quest items, crafting and monster parts, books, etc because they're weightless and you interact with them through other parts of the UI when needed.

It's still not good but you can avoid/ignore it for the most part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunXhEmREEQ

I'm sorry what.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It’s probably just random loot, no?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just went to check, the saddle is random loot (I got something else), the letter is not.

e: lol after you open the door a couple courtiers come over to gawk at it

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 6, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not the point. Did any of you know about this secret? I've never found it before and the suddenly I get recommended this video showing me I've still got tons of stuff to find. This loving game is going to throw more curveballs at me in ten years time isn't it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I had no idea but I only played this for the first time last year. Looks like it was first documented on the wiki in October 2016.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I thought most people would’ve found the secret. :shrug:

But anyhow, the letter is a nod to Witcher 1, if you didn’t already figure it out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I had to go look it up, I only knew about Adda from the show.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not the point. Did any of you know about this secret? I've never found it before and the suddenly I get recommended this video showing me I've still got tons of stuff to find. This loving game is going to throw more curveballs at me in ten years time isn't it.

I knew about this, can't remember how though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

I booted the game up and checked to see if I had discovered it.

I had not. Pretty neat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m replaying W3 for the fifth time and also rereading the books for the third time. If there’s one thing CDPR did right (there’s tons) it’s Yennefer. Her looks and demeanor are straight out of the books and her relationship with Geralt is played perfectly.

I’m at the part in the books with the Aretuza banquet, and the way they adore each other while also being insufferable is endearing as all hell and I’ll be damned if CDPR didn’t nail these interactions.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I’m replaying W3 for the fifth time and also rereading the books for the third time. If there’s one thing CDPR did right (there’s tons) it’s Yennefer. Her looks and demeanor are straight out of the books and her relationship with Geralt is played perfectly.

I’m at the part in the books with the Aretuza banquet, and the way they adore each other while also being insufferable is endearing as all hell and I’ll be damned if CDPR didn’t nail these interactions.

Their interactions are really well written, it's very cute how Geralt turns into a massive dork for her and she tries to play it cool but lets herself be vulnerable with him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

chaosapiant posted:

This is the point in the books where I thought CDPR’s writing started syncing with the books. It’s also the point I decided the Netflix show really whiffed on characterization for all the witches other than Yen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tissaia is barely in the books and I don't know what the gently caress they were doing with Fringilla turning her into a death cultist.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tissaia is barely in the books and I don't know what the gently caress they were doing with Fringilla turning her into a death cultist.

I am a bit curious where they’re gonna go with Fringilla and Cahir. My gut tells me that Triss will end up replacing Fringilla’s role in the story, and Yen will be the one to come to Kaer Mohren instead of Triss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope they get Cahir back to being the lovesick moron rather than the blood nut.