Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
beat y7 using a kb/m with the english dub. great game, hope ichi sticks around for a while

edit: english dub is so goddamn good. i dunno if they got lucky but they picked the right actors for basically the entire main cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
English dub differs largely enough from the sub translations that I can't really recommend it. Feels like a ton of important story stuff comes across differently and annoyed me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Are there no sub-stories in Sotenbori?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't mind most of the changes in the script from the JP version to the EN localization. The latter catches on very fast that a large part of Ichi's appeal is being a good-hearted goober and really leans into it in little moments that count.

There's one instance where Japanese script Ichi will use a gendered insult, even if at the time it may feel earned from his pov. English script Ichi absolutely fails to use that same gendered insult because he's too much of a nice dingus and that was a pleasant surprise.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 9, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

American McGay posted:

English dub differs largely enough from the sub translations that I can't really recommend it. Feels like a ton of important story stuff comes across differently and annoyed me.

That’s kinda what happens when two people/teams translate the same text. The folks at Sega make sure that the general gist of everything matches up at least.

Fix posted:

I’m pretty sure all of the substories are in Iijincho.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah psycho bitch definitely fit the scene better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

American McGay posted:

Nah psycho bitch definitely fit the scene better.

I mean it was definitely the most straightforward way to do that scene. But the English version saw an opportunity to make it a character moment and bless their hearts that they did, because it really sold me on English Ichi as distinct in his own way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What scene are you guys talking about?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

American McGay posted:

i redid like four chapters with jp immediately after just to make sure my path was righteous and in none of these cases did i think even once “the meaning is significantly changed here”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guess I'm just better at picking up on the nuances of language than you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eh if thats what you think

American McGay posted:

It's embarrassingly bad and also the script is changed in non-insignificant ways from the English subs. :colbert:

American McGay posted:

The dub is so loving bad. Nanba is like a 40 year old baritone.

ah i wont lose any sleep over it

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

American McGay posted:

Lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Whoa! Aren't you President Ichiban from Ichiban Confections?"

English VA: "I sure am!"
English subtitles: "I sure am!"
Japanese VA: "I'm the CEO!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

American McGay posted:

lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fix posted:

Sotenbori IS the sub-story :v: now go eat some takoyaki while everyone talks about accents

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i speak enough japanese to actually play games in japanese to begin with and lol the english script/dub is totally fine

it's arguably one of the best localisations any game has received in the decade, the fact that they even went to the effort of including two kinds of english translation is way out there

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 10, 2021

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

my only complaint about the dub is there was times where the cutscene would advance before the line was finished, otherwise it was fantastic

Weedle
May 31, 2006

in yakuza 4, i met someone as tanimura who said something about a reward if i return to them after responding to a bunch of street crimes, but i was kind of falling asleep at the time and i forgot who/where they are. anyone have any clue what i’m talking about?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Koobes posted:

my only complaint about the dub is there was times where the cutscene would advance before the line was finished, otherwise it was fantastic

That’s a framerate bug, that’s got nothing to do with either language track. :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Always feels good to do around 2 hours of Saejima's substories and treasure map hunting in Y5 to get a game crash error and have to redo it all...I'm so drat glad they put in autosaves.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

That’s a framerate bug, that’s got nothing to do with either language track. :v:

I had to cap my framerate to 30 to fix that. Dunno if they ever patched it though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Essence of Poppo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Weedle posted:

in yakuza 4, i met someone as tanimura who said something about a reward if i return to them after responding to a bunch of street crimes, but i was kind of falling asleep at the time and i forgot who/where they are. anyone have any clue what i’m talking about?

Theatre square, red coat

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Xarbala posted:

I don't mind most of the changes in the script from the JP version to the EN localization. The latter catches on very fast that a large part of Ichi's appeal is being a good-hearted goober and really leans into it in little moments that count.

There's one instance where Japanese script Ichi will use a gendered insult, even if at the time it may feel earned from his pov. English script Ichi absolutely fails to use that same gendered insult because he's too much of a nice dingus and that was a pleasant surprise.

oh no a gendered insult lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

kasuga ichimans boops the snoots of any yakuza that dares speak over bipocs

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
the slur defender has logged on.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

It's a heat move yakuza moment. kasuga is absolutely allowed to say it providing he knows at least 3 women on poundmates app.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
ichiban can say the bad word, but only if you've given him the twitch streamer job.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
It's pretty remarkable that in a game about organized crime, gang wars and assassinations that the words "psycho bitch" should feel out of place.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yes, but also one of the bosses refuses to hit women because he is Honorable

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Finished Like a Dragon, my first ever Yakuza game. Loved it. Best JRPG I've played in years.

I'm going to go back and play the others, starting with 0 (knowing they have a different type of gameplay). Kiryu seems like kind of a self-serious prick compared to our loveable, good-hearted dumbass Ichiban. Is the tone of the earlier games more serious?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like i mindsynced with Ichi when i found that out
"Ill just swap in both ladies for this! Im so smart *ichi gets punched more than half the time* ...hey wait..."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Finished Like a Dragon, my first ever Yakuza game. Loved it. Best JRPG I've played in years.

I'm going to go back and play the others, starting with 0 (knowing they have a different type of gameplay). Kiryu seems like kind of a self-serious prick compared to our loveable, good-hearted dumbass Ichiban. Is the tone of the earlier games more serious?

the main plots are pretty serious but the substories and side activities get very wacky. kiryu is not a prick, he’s a beautiful noble dummy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Theatre square, red coat

thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh god no. Kiryu and Ichiban are both Gods Perfect Idiots. But Kiryu is the straightman, Ichiban the goofy one. Still a comic dynamic, but a different one. Kiryu is basically just trying to get through his day, and solve his yakuza adjacent problems, but goofy poo poo keeps getting in his way and hes too good a dude to say "I dont have time for your crazy bullshit right now".

Edit: You could argue the tone of Kiwami/yakuza 1 is more serious because it is based on a PS2 game where the tone of the series wasnt quite set yet, but its still "serious yakuza plot/goofy side poo poo", but slightly more skewed towards serious plot.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Kiryu is a serious dumbass instead of a goofy dumbass which makes a slightly different style of humor

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Okay, I'm sold.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Like others said, Kiryu isn’t really up his own rear end, he’s more just the stereotypical stoic manly guy, even in the main story he ends up running an orphanage for a while. Story Kiryu is rad as poo poo cause (Yakuza series as a whole spoilers he’s the guy who just facetanks punches like Ichiban’s all day assuming anyone gets to his face while also carrying that stony stoicism into sidestories; which honestly largely makes his funnier than Ichi’s cause his stoicism while being dragged into poo poo like getting a bubble man clothes works better than Ichiban’s earnestness for laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Goodenough posted:

It's pretty remarkable that in a game about organized crime, gang wars and assassinations that the words "psycho bitch" should feel out of place.

I mean, it's a matter of who's saying them, yes? Ichi is literally a Dragon Quest hero with a job in the mob, and you wouldn't expect a Dragon Quest hero to refer to anyone as a 'psycho bitch'.