Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
With spin bikes a lot of the premium is because people want "what I use at the gym" and that means you're paying for a device built for near permanent ~16hrs/day use, which things like the Kickr Bike wouldn't be able to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, it's a piece of kit built to last.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Vando posted:

With spin bikes a lot of the premium is because people want "what I use at the gym" and that means you're paying for a device built for near permanent ~16hrs/day use, which things like the Kickr Bike wouldn't be able to achieve.

Yeah. Build quality and low maintenance was really important to me. I snapped a lovely cheap spin bike a few weeks ago and just wanted something quiet (apartment living), durable, and will last me 10 years as my default cardio. I don't mind a cost premium if it means I don't have to replace it or deal with much maintenance. Going to see if I can connect it to zwift over the weekend for some fun.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The StagesBike SB20 uses the same frame as their spin bike and is also significantly less expensive than a KICKR Bike. The flywheel alone is 50lbs.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just to be clear: there is nothing wrong with the build quality of most trainer bikes for home use, the durability of the gym-focused products is because people will be absolutely beating those things to poo poo on a daily basis and not giving a gently caress because it's not theirs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The Keiser M3i (92lbs) looks like a toy next to the StagesBike SB20 (138lbs.)

It has an actual strain gauge power meter as well as a secondary OTS in the flywheel. It has a stainless steel frame (vs aluminum,) smart resistance controller, USB charge ports, bottle cages, customizable drivetrain up to 50 gears, customizable shift logic, adjustable crank length, built in phone and tablet holders, etc.

It does cost more than the M3i.

Apparently the M3i also requires a $100 signal converter to work with Zwift over BT, and won’t work over ANT+ for unknown reasons?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 8, 2021

fubolicious
Dec 31, 2020
Anyone using Peloton? or is this is just for bikes on fixed platform? :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Apparently the M3i also requires a $100 signal converter to work with Zwift over BT, and won’t work over ANT+ for unknown reasons?
I have a raspberry pie that can do it. ;)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

fubolicious posted:

Peloton counts, and ironically in the context of the current sub-thread, they've nailed power accuracy with their "Plus" version indoor bike.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 8, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I absolutely would not spend $2k on a spin bike that needs a bodge to work as a smart bike when a Stages SB20 is only $800 more and would be objectively better in every way.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Stages is def better value but if you just want something solid as an indoor trainer there's nothing wrong with saving the money, it's not like it's going to be unworkable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

The Stages is def better value but if you just want something solid as an indoor trainer there's nothing wrong with saving the money, it's not like it's going to be unworkable.

I’d also rather spend half that price and get a nice direct drive smart trainer if given the choice. $2k is just too much for what (relatively little) that spin bike offers.

e: never mind scrolled back through the thread for context, duder already has the bike and isn’t shopping for one

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 8, 2021

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
lol I actually asked earlier in this thread and was told it's a good choice :) I'm happy with it so far but I can see there may have been a better option. It is 1000eu more though in europe which is a lot.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Yeah, I'm the one who got the m3i last month and I didn't know about the Stages until it came up in this thread just now. Not gonna lie, I may have spent the extra on the Stages if I'd have known about it earlier! The m3i's not bad so I'm not too down on myself, but that will affect my recommendation going forward.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Strumpy posted:

lol I actually asked earlier in this thread and was told it's a good choice :) I'm happy with it so far but I can see there may have been a better option. It is 1000eu more though in europe which is a lot.

And like any piece of home gym equipment, the biggest ‘is it worth it’ comes down to whether you use it consistently and if you are happy with it. If the bike and app environment does it for you and keeps you interested/motivated and isn’t causing you to have to skip rent, then it was a good purchase imo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BadSamaritan posted:

And like any piece of home gym equipment, the biggest ‘is it worth it’ comes down to whether you use it consistently and if you are happy with it. If the bike and app environment does it for you and keeps you interested/motivated and isn’t causing you to have to skip rent, then it was a good purchase imo.

Yep. Obsessing over the best purchase isn't going to do anything other than stress you out. Good enough is good enough

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Oh yeah 100% :) TBH I just want something i can do from home for an hour a day before work - And I for sure can with this ;)

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

fubolicious posted:

We use the peloton app with a Schwinn IC4 and it’s been great to just have something my wife and I can share and hop on when we have a few minutes. When we did the math getting the bike for $750 delivered plus $14/month for the app it made sense for us given Covid. Plus all the other exercises you can get on demand beyond cycling. I have not tried it with Zwift yet but I’m sure I’ll have to inflate my weight by a percentage to account for the bike allegedly not reporting power fairly.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

do you have the tools to put the cassette on?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yep

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's preferable to be able to reach the interface, I use a kindle fire for the companion app attached to my handlebars.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

Put a towel over the top tube or get one of the sweat protectors

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Use a waxy surface protectant like Pedro's Bike Lust on your frame. Use Boeshield T-9 on every fastener between your stem and saddle. Use it on your derailleur cage, use it on ferrules and braze-ons.

Get a Halo headband or similar, especially if you have very short hair.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Saved 13 inches of space. If I hop up and do wheelies and twist the wheel around, it will start to work it's way out from under the forks, but it seems to be stable enough for my purposes.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I 100% applaud ingenuity and going outside the box on trainer bikes, but yo, you're going to lose all your teeth.

Please at least stabilize that by putting a base like an upside down T braced on that wonderwood. Please. I am concerned.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Dude.

Dude.

Spend $10 and get some wood to act as a base at the very least before you get wrecked.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 10, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

Saved 13 inches of space. If I hop up and do wheelies and twist the wheel around, it will start to work it's way out from under the forks, but it seems to be stable enough for my purposes.

Jesus.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I might add a little more support, but you guys, it's safer than actually riding a bike, hope that helps with perspective.

To be a little less flip, the bike is attached to a fixed base on the back, so it can't go forwards or backwards, also, the skewer isn't designed to let the bike rotate on the mount, which adds a nice bit of friction.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think everyone realizes that, the problem is when that piece of wood tips over and wrecks you and the bike.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Right, and I'm saying that I already climbed onto it, and bounced wheelies on it, which, if I keep doing, eventually gets the strut to move. The bike is constrained in it's back and forth motion. Besides which, if it does go out from under the bike, I'm only dropping 13 inches, again, on a bike that is locked stationary. It's pretty janky looking, but it's more stable than you think.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Well, at least you have that suspension fork to soften the hit.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, I might add a little more support, but you guys, it's safer than actually riding a bike, hope that helps with perspective.

To be a little less flip, the bike is attached to a fixed base on the back, so it can't go forwards or backwards, also, the skewer isn't designed to let the bike rotate on the mount, which adds a nice bit of friction.

You know what's safer? A tire mounted to a wheel, mounted to the fork.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thank you for your concern.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I imagine once you actually start doing hard efforts that whatever stability you're getting right now will be gone. I'm using a direct drive trainer and when I'm sprinting hard, the trainer will actually slip forwards a bit and I have to be mindful that I'm not torquing the bars like I would be outside.

What's wrong with using the wheel on?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hope you livestream your zwifting so we can watch you the first time you sprint on that thing.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Please don't let yourself die on this particular hill. Seriously. This is an unnecessarily overcomplicated solution.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Development posted:

What's wrong with using the wheel on?

Space constraints.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Rocker plates are a thing. They wouldn't be a thing if people on trainers weren't exerting those kinds of stresses on the system as a whole. Doing wheelies or whatever right now immediately after clamping the fork is no where near equivalent to what happens when putting in a hard sprint.

That qr is going to loosen up just slightly over time and you're going to fall. It's not going to be just 13" freefall because when it goes you'll be pushing forward on the bike. I'm all for the fork stand diy, but you gotta fix that thing. Just slap on a base and some angle bracers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If only some kind of quickly releasing mechanism could be designed to allow swaps between a wheel and a space saving block.