Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

Lizards incoming

Had hoped for a Kroxigor but oh well. Not sure how much I like the "nose" they've given the skinks, makes them look more mammal-y

I love everything about them, the Saurus and the Priest in particular

quote:

Also something that looks like a Vampire (Coast?)

I'm guessing either a vampire or an elf of some variety

Maybe Deepkin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm almost 100% sure it's vampires. Idoneth are coming further on down the line, according to the road map.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Looks like Retribution of Scyrah :getin:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Two more for the Dread Pageant-

radlum
May 13, 2013
Those look great; I just got Direchasm and though I got it for the elves, the Slaneesh models are pretty good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Do I need to have enough models to fill out a maxed out team roster to play through a league in Blood Bowl or should I be ok with a single team box?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AnEdgelord posted:

Do I need to have enough models to fill out a maxed out team roster to play through a league in Blood Bowl or should I be ok with a single team box?

Depends on the team, but you should mostly be fine. A lot of positionals can just be proxied with a marker on the base or w/e, but you might run into some issues if you want like more ghouls on an undead team or the like.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I finally got around to showing Blood Bowl to the missus yesterday, very simplified version but it was fun! Unlike a lot of other beginners she had terrible luck, nearly all her rolls at the start were 1s and 2s, so I was encouraging her not to make moves that needed dicerolls if she didn't need to, but sometimes you just gotta see what happens when you fail repeatedly. I also didn't have her playing with the turnover rule for fails, so some turns she had to roll the D8 more times than some players would roll it in an entire game, as she just kept trying and failing to pick up the ball! But she got the ball down to the endzone and scored a touchdown so it all worked nicely.

Probably the most annoying part is the dice though - the coloured dice look lovely but for new players especially it's very easy to just keep mixing up the normal dice and the block dice, especially with the symbol on the 6 for the normal D6 which really makes it blend into the block dice. I might swap them out for just plain smaller dice next time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was working on fighter cards and stuff last night for my Orlocks at like 2 AM and when I finally fell asleep I had a dream that they were the fabulous gay steelworkers from that old episode of The Simpsons and now I can't see them as anything but that.

It's kind of fantastic tbh.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

I was working on fighter cards and stuff last night for my Orlocks at like 2 AM and when I finally fell asleep I had a dream that they were the fabulous gay steelworkers from that old episode of The Simpsons and now I can't see them as anything but that.

It's kind of fantastic tbh.

Lol, great episode and not a bad theme for an Orlock gang!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there like, some kinda master list of Necromunda weapons and wargear with pics I can check out? I'm trying to do mostly WYSIWYG for our gangs at initial creation (probably won't go too insane modding every detail on them as the campaign progresses, but...we'll see...) and my wife keeps asking what stuff is and half the time if it's not something obvious like a grenade I'm just guessing. Tons of bits in the Escher gang box in particular where I just don't really know what they are.

Also, is the GW official stance on modding and kitbashing that the model still needs to be made of a majority of GW/FW Official Product (tm)? I've got a bunch of weapons and stuff I 3D printed, and there's no official GW store within miles of here, but I want to at least know the 'rules' if I end up ever playing in an FLGS again. I'm guessing nobody is going to really bat an eye if I show up with a printed, slightly modified chain sword or something but I probably won't go out of my way to advertise it if it's going to ruffle feathers or anything.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't think anyone at a FLGS is going to care. Its at GW stores you may run into problems.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rushed Vasillac out this morning for a couple games this afternoon, went 2 for 2. Had a lot of fun with these guys, Slakeslash was an absolute MVP.

Going to have to go back over them for some details and cleanup now that the games are done.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is there like, some kinda master list of Necromunda weapons and wargear with pics I can check out? I'm trying to do mostly WYSIWYG for our gangs at initial creation (probably won't go too insane modding every detail on them as the campaign progresses, but...we'll see...) and my wife keeps asking what stuff is and half the time if it's not something obvious like a grenade I'm just guessing. Tons of bits in the Escher gang box in particular where I just don't really know what they are.

Also, is the GW official stance on modding and kitbashing that the model still needs to be made of a majority of GW/FW Official Product (tm)? I've got a bunch of weapons and stuff I 3D printed, and there's no official GW store within miles of here, but I want to at least know the 'rules' if I end up ever playing in an FLGS again. I'm guessing nobody is going to really bat an eye if I show up with a printed, slightly modified chain sword or something but I probably won't go out of my way to advertise it if it's going to ruffle feathers or anything.

As was said, no one is going to say anything about 3rd party or printed stuff in any normal club or store. Even in a GW store, I can only imagine it ever being an issue if you walk in shouting about how your models aren't GW stuff.

For the Necromunda wargear etc, all the House of books and Gangs of the Underhive have some pages where they show different houses' weapons styles. With the exception of a few unique weapons, e.g. the Goliath rivet cannon, they all use the same design language as 40k. So boltguns have that hole in the side of the barrel, plasma guns have those coils on the top, meltaguns the cylinder with slots in it as a barrel, etc. If you do a google image search I'm sure there are diagram-style illustrations of those things available.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

AnEdgelord posted:

Depends what you mean by full roster. A full 16? Probably not. But if you've picked Humans or Orcs, you probably want two boxes to get the right amount of Blitzers/Black Orcs unless you proxy or convert.

The more recent releases have got a lot better at actually providing the team you want in one box. The Lizards team was a turning point for that.

Genghis Cohen posted:

As was said, no one is going to say anything about 3rd party or printed stuff in any normal club or store. Even in a GW store, I can only imagine it ever being an issue if you walk in shouting about how your models aren't GW stuff.

I got into a friendly chat with a member of staff who liked a Chaos Undivided warband I'd thrown together, which had some pretty big chunks of third party bits on models spanning a 20-year gap.

What makes this notable was that it was Phil Kelly at Warhammer World :keke:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Rockman Reserve posted:

This has, I think, more to do with your general behaviour than specific policies. I.e if you come to the FLGS every weekend, playing with home-printed minis painted with paint you buy online, it's a completely different thing than if you play with exactly the same models but also buy a few pots of paints and a box of minis now and then to support the store. You might not be thrown out of the shop, but you'll probably be on better terms with the staff if you buy stuff now and then.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Getting back into Necromunda after an 18-month hiatus and I'm a bit confused by the nomenclature now. In N18, Zone Mortalis meant flat terrain made from the Underhive tiles, with no 3D element, but now all the new terrain released around Dark Uprising and after is called "Zone Mortalis terrain". I've looked around to see if there's a change in the rules where ZM means something else, but google isn't helping. So I guess my question is, uh, what? Are there new terrain rules that I've missed?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Getting back into Necromunda after an 18-month hiatus and I'm a bit confused by the nomenclature now. In N18, Zone Mortalis meant flat terrain made from the Underhive tiles, with no 3D element, but now all the new terrain released around Dark Uprising and after is called "Zone Mortalis terrain". I've looked around to see if there's a change in the rules where ZM means something else, but google isn't helping. So I guess my question is, uh, what? Are there new terrain rules that I've missed?

So the specific meaning of ZM as a completely 2d board (as represented by the cardboard tiles in the N17 release box) has sort of lapsed. Rules wise it's only significance is for the missions in the 2018 rulebook. The later expansions (Book of Peril, judgement, ruin etc and the DU version rulebook do not distinguish between terrain types.

So yeah, ZM can mean a 2d board or it can mean the style plastic terrain that came in the DU box. Only the former definition means anything in terms of game rules, and even that has sort of lapsed - all the ZM-specific missions in the N18 rulebook can be played on any terrain type, with minimal adaptation of how to measure deployment zones.

People do still distinguish between 2d and 3d games but it's more a style of how you set up whatever terrain you've got, it's not an iron hard distinction.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Necromunda has reignited something horrible and offputting in myself in terms of modeling and painting badly and perfectionism.

I like it, though.

I still haven't gotten it to the table, ha.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looks like Im gonna play my first irl game of Blood Bowl on sunday with a friend. Any recommendations for the team rosters for our first game? I didnt see anything in the box that had any guidelines.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

Looks like Im gonna play my first irl game of Blood Bowl on sunday with a friend. Any recommendations for the team rosters for our first game? I didnt see anything in the box that had any guidelines.

Do you mean specially "first game" rosters, or team rosters in general? Because the teams in the book definitely tell you how many of each type of player you can put on your team.

For our first game, my wife and I did this with the teams in the box:

Black Orcs: all Black Orc Blockers, all Goblin Linemen (12 total)
Imperial Nobility: all players except for the ogre and the star player (12 total)
Give each team 4 rerolls

That's a pretty good starting lineup, even if the teams are inherently sort of unbalanced to each other.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the advice, i went with that exact set up and the game was a hit. I did have some apocalyptically bad luck on my rushes and had three casualties in the first four turns. I was the Nobles and my buddy was Blorcs. We'll probably play again soon but since I personally wasnt too happy with the Nobles and wanted something a bit more bashy I picked up a Chaos Team and a Minotaur over the weekend.

Either way though I am looking forward to figuring out the game more.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Chaos is really frustrating and luck-dependent until you get a bunch of SPP and skills on your dudes, fair warning.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

Chaos is really frustrating and luck-dependent until you get a bunch of SPP and skills on your dudes, fair warning.

I realize that, i do however have some great ideas for a color scheme though

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Chaos gets hilarious with development, though - you can’t stack Claw/Mighty Blow/Piling On any more, but they’re still great bashers.

Other tips that I’ve picked up from a pretty successful season with Chaos: the ability for your Beastmen to be St 4 on a Blitz is a huge help when playing the bash game, and it makes pretty much every model you field able to 2DB to make up for the initial lack of skills, so aim for less of a scrum approach and more of a “moving violence” strategy. Sacrificial Beastmen on the line when defending are a great way to keep your Warriors free to deal with threats coming through. Get an Apothecary as soon as you can and use it to save your Warriors - once they get Block, they’re amazing walls.

Chaos is fun, is what I’m saying. Frustrating at times (get ready for some really conservative play), but you can do some serious damage and still have a good running game. Shame their passing is worse, but maybe they’ll reintroduce Lewdgrip once they actually get around to playing with the “Chosen of . . . “ rules.

Finally unlearning some of my bad habits to go on with my Goblins, and figuring out the joys of gang fouling with a Loony and never allowing any free blocks has been an exciting journey. I wish it was easier to get the Prayers to Nuffle for fouling SPP, but loading a d16 is the only way I could see that happening, and I’m not that dedicated to foul play.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Only thing I managed to snag out of that Rohan made to order was Gamling from Warg Attack. I'm not sure why he looks shinier than my normal finish. I could be because I used more contrast. It could be because I need another layer of matte?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Only thing I managed to snag out of that Rohan made to order was Gamling from Warg Attack. I'm not sure why he looks shinier than my normal finish. I could be because I used more contrast. It could be because I need another layer of matte?

When I get too much sheen I usually just give a very soft-handed brush-up with some more matte varnish.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Certain contrast paints definitely do have a habit of causing a sheen if you go really heavy on them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think the other thing making him standout is that his cloak and horse are just chunkier than the plastic Riders of Rohan. He looks awkward next to the more recent plastic heroes as well. Ah, well, that's GW for you. It's a fine model, but sort of out of place on either side of the range.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So. I bought dreadfleet in like, 2012. Painted it and it’s kind of just been around. Due to covid I had finally broken it out with some people that are basically the only ones I see.....

I know people said it was a bit poo poo but gently caress me it IS a bit poo poo. I remember me as a young lad graduating university thinking it sounded so cool, how did they gently caress this up

Edit: for positivity’s sake is there a way of making it suck less or are these just cool models that shall Adorned the home office now?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The models are good for playing Man O' War, a different game that people also inexplicably love but is a bit lovely. I'm not sure how helpful that is.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mantic is releasing Kings of War armada, which is a fantasy boat game based on warlord game’s historical Black Seas game. I mean, it can’t be worse? You could use the minis for that. I always thought the Dreadfleet minis looked great but never found a box cheap enough for it to be worth it for the minis alone. My plan would have been to make a Trafalgar hack, the old Warhammer Historicals game, as it's quite warhammery in how shooting is resolved.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 20, 2021

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The seascape mat was nice. I wish I had one of them for my Man O War gaming.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AcidRonin posted:

So. I bought dreadfleet in like, 2012. Painted it and it’s kind of just been around. Due to covid I had finally broken it out with some people that are basically the only ones I see.....

I know people said it was a bit poo poo but gently caress me it IS a bit poo poo. I remember me as a young lad graduating university thinking it sounded so cool, how did they gently caress this up

Edit: for positivity’s sake is there a way of making it suck less or are these just cool models that shall Adorned the home office now?
Warlord Games has a pack of cards for the Kingdoms of Men faction for Armada You could probably use a lot of the Dreadfleet ships with that, since it's usually the "whatever minis you have"-faction.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

AcidRonin posted:

quote:

Reviews of Dreadfleet in 2011 were mixed. Although there is no official statement, it is rumored that, due to poor sales, Games Workshop recalled all copies of the game from their Australian stores and destroyed them. The game is no longer offered for sale on the Games Workshop site, and all articles related to it are no longer available.

In 2016 Shahady Gaming created a modified rule set to attempt to “resurrect” the visually epic yet tactically disappointing game. Starting with a open source rules summary developed by Universal Head (https://www.universalhead.com), Shahady gaming revamped rules that the gaming community had reviewed as weaknesses in Dreadfleet’s playability. Three major weaknesses were identified:

1: Because play alternated between players the impact of initiative (determined by die role) had too significant role in the outcome of engagements.
2: Alternating actions was seen as creating a more unrealistic battlefield environment as opposed to a more simultaneous approach to vessel actions.
3: The fate cards, while interesting from a storyline perspective, added far too much dramatic changes in the play framework.

The revamping was therefore primarily focused on eliminating initiative, adding simultaneous vessel actions, and removing fate from the game. In addition, these areas were improved by implementing several rules from the previously successful games Man-o-war (Games Workshop, 1993) and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (Avalon Hill, 1975).

In 2016, the revised rule set titled “Dreadfleet Resurrected v1.0” was posted on open source gaming sites for use, testing, and suggested revisions.

Never tried it, but give it a shot I guess

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/165408/revised-rule-set-titled-dreadfleet-resurrected-v10

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Vampires confirmed for warband coming after the lizards over on WarCom, and if the one after that isn't savage orcs or whatever they're called now, I'll eat my hat.

edit: With pictures:

Just noticed that everything got pushed back a month, bummer, I wanted to crack into Khagra's Ravagers.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 20, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Vampires confirmed for warband coming after the lizards over on WarCom, and if the one after that isn't savage orcs or whatever they're called now, I'll eat my hat.

Lizardmen warband looked less interesting than I hoped, switching my hype towards vampires (preview looks great) and potential savage orcs.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I hope that GW hasn't abandoned the heavier armor aesthetic from kits like the blood knights and the vamp lord from the zombie dragon kit. I've always liked that style, and I was excited to see what kind of new models they'd produce in that general style. I DO like the new more dark elf-y, lithe vibe I get from the models we've seen so far, but I wanna see some heavy knights too, dang it.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
I'm hoping the vamps are similarly priced to the other warcry stuff because i really want to chop them up for some inq28 or mordheim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really like that Ulrika, in one of the later Gotrek books, is wearing armor that is insanely thick and heavy. If you are supernaturally strong and fast you can probably handle armor humans couldn't move in just fine.