Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gamera009 posted:

Is it possible to safely pack up an assembled bike in a cargo container being shipped cross country and not have issues? Or should be buying a hitch, and getting a hitch mount bike rack?

You can put a bike in a cargo container and send it to Australia (some friends have done it).

Only point to note is that if you have hydraulic disc brakes to drain the fluid because it can get very hot in those things, and you don't want it exploding out when it expands. Probably want to take electronic bits off for a similar reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I'm only so round because of winter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chiming in to say make sure your hitch or trunk rack has enough clearance from your exhaust for your bike’s wheels. I never really thought of it and have had no issues on my 1Up rack, but a new set of wheels had a very explicit warning, and there’s some horror stories online about carbon melting and tires catching on fire.

I’m sure it’s fine if you use common sense. But I’m dumb, so there’s that.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can put a bike in a cargo container and send it to Australia (some friends have done it).

Only point to note is that if you have hydraulic disc brakes to drain the fluid because it can get very hot in those things, and you don't want it exploding out when it expands. Probably want to take electronic bits off for a similar reason.

I expect to find myself in the moving-via-ship-container situation in the coming months... that's the first I've heard that I need to drain the brake fluid. Is it true with DOT brakes as well? I would have thought that the fluid can handle the temperatures. Thanks for the heads up!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uh, yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if if got so hot in a shipping container that you'd need to worry about brake fluid. Mineral oil boils at like 250+ and DOT 3 is even higher than that

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’m moving in a month. In the winter. Temp isn’t a problem. I fee a bit more secure using a hitch rack. Plus where I’m going I’ll have to drive to where I want to bike.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

XIII posted:

Uh, yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if if got so hot in a shipping container that you'd need to worry about brake fluid. Mineral oil boils at like 250+ and DOT 3 is even higher than that

It's thermal expansion, not boiling. If there was a lot of room for the brake fluid to expand then the brakes wouldn't work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Haven't heard from any of the bike and parts suppliers we deal with having to sort out brakes blowing up in transit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hard braking during a big long descent almost surely heats up the brake fluid more than sitting in a shipping container even in 110F heat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Haven't heard from any of the bike and parts suppliers we deal with having to sort out brakes blowing up in transit.

Shrug, it might just be super rare then.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Guinness posted:

Hard braking during a big long descent almost surely heats up the brake fluid more than sitting in a shipping container even in 110F heat

Yeah, this was my point. If your brake fluid is getting so hot from sitting inside a shipping container that it's exploding the lines, you've got a bigger problem on your hands

evil_bunnY posted:

This is literally what the tank on the lever is for.

also this. It's why you'll see a max fill line on fluid reservoirs. Gotta have room for it to expand.

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 8, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shrug, it might just be super rare then.

I mean it could be something that happens on rare occasions. Might explain why one out of a hundredeh more like # thousand I'd say bikes or so ends up with brakes we have to warranty out of the box when we build our yearly shipment but I'd suspect more just getting something with a manufacturing defect.

When it comes to most consumer goods there's both a transport and operational temperature range. So maybe don't try to ride your bike the second you take it out of a can that's been baking in the sun, but otherwise it should be fine.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 7, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's thermal expansion, not boiling. If there was a lot of room for the brake fluid to expand then the brakes wouldn't work.
This is literally what the tank on the lever is for.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That’s why (among other reasons) there’s a reservoir on the brakes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Please show your work.

I suspect the brake fluid gets hotter and sees higher pressure when you're riding and using the brakes than it would sitting in a hot shipping container. I also suspect a lot of bikes get shipped in containers with assembled and bled brakes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 8, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bought my first pair of Serious Bibtights, Castelli Sorpasso RoS Wind and holey moley they are skin tight but i think i picked the right size, as long as my thighs don't get any girthier from running and riding. the chamois seems to be a huge upgrade from the 50 dollar Club Ride bibs i bought on clearance from rei a few years ago.

gotta be honest, biketiresdirect seems to be a pretty good vendor but their selections can be a bit limited on sizes and colors when it comes to clothing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

the thermal expansion coefficient is about 6.4 *10^-4 per degree celsius for mineral oil (=99% of brake fluid), see http://www.pantherlubes.com/tl_6.html#:~:text=The%20values%20of%20the%20coefficient,%2D4%20%C2%B0C%2D1..
That means that over a 80 centigrade increase in temperature the fluid will expand by about 5%, or a couple of milliliters. That won't be a problem I'd imagine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Samopsa posted:

the thermal expansion coefficient is about 6.4 *10^-4 per degree celsius for mineral oil (=99% of brake fluid), see http://www.pantherlubes.com/tl_6.html#:~:text=The%20values%20of%20the%20coefficient,%2D4%20%C2%B0C%2D1..
That means that over a 80 centigrade increase in temperature the fluid will expand by about 5%, or a couple of milliliters. That won't be a problem I'd imagine.

Make sense.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ok folks I currently ride an old aluminium condor Italia with chorus 11speed and some Mavic carbon wheels. I love it to bits but it's getting on abit.

I have a super record EPs v3 groupset sans crank I've got sitting in a box that I can't use on my current frame which I was going to sell but I've just spotted a storck aerfast G2 frame for €1200. Is there any reason I should avoid getting it?

Would mean sticking with rim brakes for a while but there's no way I'm getting the equivalent setup in disc for a few years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for a recommendation for a folding bike in Canada. Primary use is short 1-5km trips to and from car shares where the bike will be folded and put in the trunk.

It'd also be nice if it was easily adjustable for my wife and me (5'2 and 6', respectively).

The budget is around $1000CAD, but a little bit more could be saved if there's a huge jump in quality to, say, $1200.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Used bike friday pakit

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Hey I have a question about using tubeless tires with tubes. I'm not very familiar with bike mechanics but am fixing up a road bike and replaced the 700x32 old tires with some tubeless 700x28 ones in case I wanted to make the switch later on. They're tubeless ready, so they are capable and by all indications should work just fine. The trouble is that now whenever I try to fit 28-32 tubes in them there's a huge amount of slack (like 2 inchese completely deflated) in the tube. When inflated the tube is folded over on itself and bulging in both the front and rear tires. I've tried switching out the tubes with other brands and am finding the same problem with all of them.

These are the tires in question: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...d-tire/p/12082/

The tubes im trying to get it to work with are also bontrager, 28-32s, so i don't see why they wouldnt fit and it isn't a manufacturing error. I imagine that most people posting here have already just gone full tubeless if they have tubeless tires, but I can't find anything about a problem like this online. I'd also just go entirely tubeless, but I'd have to replace both wheels as well which isn't something I want to do for a bit since I just had to replace the rear one.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Put a 23-25mm tube in. I imagine a 28mm tire with puncture resistance has a notably smaller internal volume and that's what's causing the problem.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve always found using 28-35 tubes on 28s to be a pain in the rear end, for the reason you stated, and that 23-25 tubes work just fine in 28s without being a pain to install.

In theory it’s giving up a little durability and puncture resistance, but in practice I’ve never had any issues.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Camel Camus posted:

Hey I have a question about using tubeless tires with tubes. I'm not very familiar with bike mechanics but am fixing up a road bike and replaced the 700x32 old tires with some tubeless 700x28 ones in case I wanted to make the switch later on. They're tubeless ready, so they are capable and by all indications should work just fine. The trouble is that now whenever I try to fit 28-32 tubes in them there's a huge amount of slack (like 2 inchese completely deflated) in the tube. When inflated the tube is folded over on itself and bulging in both the front and rear tires. I've tried switching out the tubes with other brands and am finding the same problem with all of them.

These are the tires in question: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...d-tire/p/12082/

The tubes im trying to get it to work with are also bontrager, 28-32s, so i don't see why they wouldnt fit and it isn't a manufacturing error. I imagine that most people posting here have already just gone full tubeless if they have tubeless tires, but I can't find anything about a problem like this online. I'd also just go entirely tubeless, but I'd have to replace both wheels as well which isn't something I want to do for a bit since I just had to replace the rear one.

I'm gonna mention this in case you don't know it since you said you're not super familiar with bike mechanics.
Your rim needs to be tubeless, in addition to your tires, in order for you to eventually go tubeless.

28mm tires are also at the skinny end of it being worth going to tubeless - road tubeless is the least refined format.

Agree with the other folks regarding just use a 23-25 tube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tuyop posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a folding bike in Canada. Primary use is short 1-5km trips to and from car shares where the bike will be folded and put in the trunk.

It'd also be nice if it was easily adjustable for my wife and me (5'2 and 6', respectively).

The budget is around $1000CAD, but a little bit more could be saved if there's a huge jump in quality to, say, $1200.
These are 1100 CAD, without customs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brompton-M6L-Black-2016-Six-Speed-Global-Shipping-Trusted-Seller/303841001336
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brompton-M3L-Signal-Orange-Black-MINT-RARE-Global-Ship-Trusted-Seller/303840578456
The seller doesn't list shipping to CA, but does to the US. Would have to ask.

The Brompton is the most compact folding, which may or may not matter for trunk space.
At this price, it's going to be better durability-wise than the ~700 USD Terns and Dahons that are the cheapest legit folding bikes you could get.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

These are 1100 CAD, without customs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brompton-M6L-Black-2016-Six-Speed-Global-Shipping-Trusted-Seller/303841001336
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brompton-M3L-Signal-Orange-Black-MINT-RARE-Global-Ship-Trusted-Seller/303840578456
The seller doesn't list shipping to CA, but does to the US. Would have to ask.

The Brompton is the most compact folding, which may or may not matter for trunk space.
At this price, it's going to be better durability-wise than the ~700 USD Terns and Dahons that are the cheapest legit folding bikes you could get.

Thanks! That gives me a great target for savings.

Looks like about $1500CAD plus customs. Not so crazy considering the added utility.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Thanks y'all, I'll order some smaller tubes and throw them in!

bicievino posted:

28mm tires are also at the skinny end of it being worth going to tubeless - road tubeless is the least refined format.

I learned that you need specific rims while I was shopping around, but hadn't heard anything about this. What's the reason for the difference mattering less on thinner tires?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Echoing the "use a smaller tube" advice. I run 23-25 tubes in 32mm tires. I do it mostly cause the tubes are a bit easier to pack into my tool bag, but that's just a bonus

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tuyop posted:

Thanks! That gives me a great target for savings.

Looks like about $1500CAD plus customs. Not so crazy considering the added utility.

One more note -- there's 2 kinds of handlebars Brompton uses, coupled with two front end heights. This one is the higher rise one, coupled with what i think is the lower height.
It'll end up pretty high for your wife and ok for you. One area I find limiting with Bromptons is brake lever ange adjustment -- adust them too flat and they'll rub into the frame when folded up. Shouldn't be a fatal ergonomic issue for short rides.

That 6 speed model is a 3spd internal gear hub (nice and clean for city use) with a really basic derailleur setup on the outside.
The 3 speed model is just the 3spd IGH.

The derailleur thing isn't too much extra weight or complexity, but if you opt out of it, the 3spd seems in a bit better shape.
Mine is just the derailleur alone, and 2 speeds is a bit binary even jaunting around town, but hey, it's still better than walking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ok folks I currently ride an old aluminium condor Italia with chorus 11speed and some Mavic carbon wheels. I love it to bits but it's getting on abit.

I have a super record EPs v3 groupset sans crank I've got sitting in a box that I can't use on my current frame which I was going to sell but I've just spotted a storck aerfast G2 frame for €1200. Is there any reason I should avoid getting it?

Would mean sticking with rim brakes for a while but there's no way I'm getting the equivalent setup in disc for a few years.

Why not accept the compromise and run mechanical brakes? I've got Klampers on my Record 12 and they're good stopping power.
If you had some disc frame that you really wanted, that is.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Chiming in to say make sure your hitch or trunk rack has enough clearance from your exhaust for your bike’s wheels. I never really thought of it and have had no issues on my 1Up rack, but a new set of wheels had a very explicit warning, and there’s some horror stories online about carbon melting and tires catching on fire.

I’m sure it’s fine if you use common sense. But I’m dumb, so there’s that.

what hitch rack? you mean the one i ordered back in october?? that i still don't loving have???

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Camel Camus posted:

Thanks y'all, I'll order some smaller tubes and throw them in!

I learned that you need specific rims while I was shopping around, but hadn't heard anything about this. What's the reason for the difference mattering less on thinner tires?

Narrower tires require higher pressure, which exacerbates imperfect tire/rim fit (STILL not an official standard, but soon?).
Additionally, higher pressure makes it harder for sealant to fix punctures.

I don't want to suggest it doesn't work - I'm running tubeless on my road race bike with 28mm tires right now. But it's definitely murky - there's no real rolling resistance advantage over a latex tube, and it's not like mtb/cx/gravel where running super low pressure and avoiding pinchflats is a thing.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

If there are any Tampa biking goons out there, feel free to DM me. Looking for some cycling folks relatively soon. :smith:

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 10, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ :(

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what hitch rack? you mean the one i ordered back in october?? that i still don't loving have???

Oof. What brand?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hello I ordered a mountain bike in early July

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

XIII posted:

^ :(

Oof. What brand?

thule aka tooly (what i am for ordering it)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like the thule roof racks. Got a few for free, and they've always worked without a hitch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bicievino posted:

I like the thule roof racks. Got a few for free, and they've always worked without a hitch.
:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I had no issue getting a kuat nv 2.0 hitch rack direct from kuat in September v0v